• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

firehound

How can trainers effectively battle 6vs6 if they own a fish pokemon?

First of all, I'm not talking about the game I'm talking about anime/real life. So say you're in a tournament and you happen to own a wailord as one of your 6 pokemons. Does the battle tournament prepare a water field for you? Wouldn't that be a bit unfair if the opponent's pokemon can only battle on land? How does this work? Is wailord automatically disqualified and you can only use 5 pokemon as a result? I know you can technically still use fish pokemon on land because they are pokemon afterall and they can probably breathe air too(I know whales can) but they'll still be at a huge disadvantage because they can't move as quickly on land and dodge attacks.
I am just very confused on how fish pokemon can battle if there is no water near them.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
First of all, I'm not talking about the game I'm talking about anime/real life. So say you're in a tournament and you happen to own a wailord as one of your 6 pokemons. Does the battle tournament prepare a water field for you? Wouldn't that be a bit unfair if the opponent's pokemon can only battle on land? How does this work? Is wailord automatically disqualified and you can only use 5 pokemon as a result? I know you can technically still use fish pokemon on land because they are pokemon afterall and they can probably breathe air too(I know whales can) but they'll still be at a huge disadvantage because they can't move as quickly on land and dodge attacks.
I am just very confused on how fish pokemon can battle if there is no water near them.

Seeing as we only see fish Pokemon used when there is water nearby, I think that it's supposed to be up to trainer to make the call on whether their Pokemon can battle or not. It's also worth noting that there was an episode where a kid had a lot of Remoraid, but he wanted one to evolve so that he could have an amphibious Pokemon for battles.

SoraPrince

Little Brother
A 10 year old kid is in the back of a moving truck

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Phione not being allowed in any tournament. Phione is weaker than fully evolved starter Pokemon, and a number of other fully evolved Pokemon. It barely, if at all, counts as legendary. Yet you can't use it in the tournament

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Phione not being allowed in any tournament. Phione is weaker than fully evolved starter Pokemon, and a number of other fully evolved Pokemon. It barely, if at all, counts as legendary. Yet you can't use it in the tournament

I never really agreed with banning any Pokemon at all from tournaments, but I believe that the logic isn't about the power, but rather it's rarity. As Phione is technically an event-exclusive Legendary Pokemon, it could be considered unfair to those who don't have access to one. It's the same reason that every other event-exclusive Legendary is banned.

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
How did Wally train his Ralts when it only knows Growl at first? It was his only Pokemon! He was borrowing that Zigzagoon to catch the Ralts. I wondered this before OR and AS existed.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Perhaps Ralts knew something else but it was hidden by the catching demo to make things easier to understand for beginners just learning the game for the first time.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How did Wally train his Ralts when it only knows Growl at first? It was his only Pokemon! He was borrowing that Zigzagoon to catch the Ralts. I wondered this before OR and AS existed.

Maybe be had Rare Candy with him?

Jalla199

Unown Trainer
Wait...how does Porygon and its evolutions exist in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon universe if...there are no humans....

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Wait...how does Porygon and its evolutions exist in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon universe if...there are no humans....

Technically, spin-off games don't really apply to this thread, as they are both logic-breaking and exist in a separate world.

However, since Porygon can reproduce, they're probably just left over from a time when humans did exist in the past.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

There are humans, since the Pokemon know about them and they exist in the future. They just aren't in the region where Mystery Dungeon takes place, because it's Pokemon-centric

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
There are humans, since the Pokemon know about them and they exist in the future. They just aren't in the region where Mystery Dungeon takes place, because it's Pokemon-centric

We actually don't know that they exist in the future, or at all in the Pokemon world.

In fact PMD3 (Gates) seems to make it explicitly clear that humans exist in another world and are regularly called upon to visit the Pokemon world to perform various tasks. It could be theorized that Porygon (and Genesect and other man-made Pokemon) came with the humans at some point, but in the end it doesn't really matter because the Mystery Dungeon cames are considered non-canon anyways.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
We actually don't know that they exist in the future, or at all in the Pokemon world.

In fact PMD3 (Gates) seems to make it explicitly clear that humans exist in another world and are regularly called upon to visit the Pokemon world to perform various tasks. It could be theorized that Porygon (and Genesect and other man-made Pokemon) came with the humans at some point, but in the end it doesn't really matter because the Mystery Dungeon cames are considered non-canon anyways.

Mystery Dungeon 2: Time and Darkness. You are a human who exists in the future, and Grovyle is your partner.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

If I remember correctly, Rescue Team inferred that humans existed in the past. The way I've always interpreted this stuff is that humans did once exist in normal numbers, but mostly dies out except for a few pockets of them, which survive into the future. But there is also a parallel world where humans still do exist as well.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Mystery Dungeon 2: Time and Darkness. You are a human who exists in the future, and Grovyle is your partner.

Oh, yes, one human (you) does exist in the future, but never does it state that there's an actual human population. In fact it's strongly hinted by your partner's surprise that there is not. I was referring to the fact that there doesn't seem to be a native human population in the Pokemon world. It's never said how you got there in the first place, or why you're there, but judging by the theme set by the other Mystery Dungeon games it's likely that you were sent there specifically to stop the time crisis from some alternate dimension where humans still exist.

This does open up another question though, why would you be sent to the future in the first place? Why not send you directly to the time period that the rest of the story takes place in, and sort of cut out the middleman? The only reason I could give for that would be that that would make for a much blander game.

If I remember correctly, Rescue Team inferred that humans existed in the past. The way I've always interpreted this stuff is that humans did once exist in normal numbers, but mostly dies out except for a few pockets of them, which survive into the future. But there is also a parallel world where humans still do exist as well.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this. Then again it's been like 6 years since I've played Rescue... Might have to give it a playthrough again sometime.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!

He could have given it a TM

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Perhaps it isn't an infant after all but something similar to the second head on a Cherubi.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
When hatching Kangaskan, why does the infant come with it when it is hatched? Makes no sense.

They programmed Nidorina/Nidoqueen to not be breedable, but didn't do the same for Kangaskhan, despite it making a whole lot more sense.