1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Doomsdaytreecko, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Akashin

Akashin Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the easiest explanation just be that, in a world where what we're talking about aren't video game sprites/models/whathaveyou, Kangaskhan just isn't born with a baby in its pouch? Just like Cubone logically wouldn't be born with its mother's skull on its head, and Timburr probably doesn't hatch with a log in its hands. Among other examples.

The games can't show this distinction, obviously, so it doesn't.

2. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Yeah, that's exactly the way I interpret it. Sprites/models are just a representation of what the Pokemon generically looks like, not what it always looks like.

3. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Just why is the Ralts line in the Amorphous Egg group anyway? I never got it. Gardevoir and Gallade are one of the most human-looking Pokemon. There is nothing to suggest they're in the same egg group as Muk. Was this just the writers trolling newbies and fanart?

4. Morty05

Morty05 Ghost-type trainer

probably because of this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BizarreAlienBiology

5. Fairfax

Fairfax get out of my way

Maybe it was supposed to be 'Amorous', but somebody at Game Freak had a bad phone connection.

Honestly, I've stopped trying to make sense of egg groups. Breeding is complicated enough as it is.

6. Alexander18

Alexander18 Banned

A large pokemon like Onix hatching from an egg? Makes no sense at all in my opinion.

7. Creyk

Creyk Well-Known Member

Well yes if the game would be simpler to make I'm sure we would have adorable baby onix that are super small cutely moving around for like 10 hours of gameplay, while it grows and develops and gets ready to fight in the first place. But creating something like that would be difficult so we are stuck with this.

8. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Speaking of strange Egg Groups, I just found out that Archen and Archeops are in the Water 3 group, which is composed mostly of invertebrate ocean-dwelling creatures. Archen and Archeops are neither invertebrates nor ocean-dwelling creatures. Very strange.

There are two ways to look at it. As mentioned, the game is too limited to display the process of an Onyx growing up, this is the same reason that Kangaskhan hatches with a baby already in its pouch. The other possibility comes from looking at the anime, which shows what Pokemon looks like in a more natural and less strict environment than games. In the show, an egg hatching looks less like a baby breaking out of an egg and more like the egg "evolving" into the baby, as the egg glows and changes shape as opposed to cracking and falling apart. So just as a tiny Magikarp can evolve into a massive Gyarados, a tiny egg could evolve into a massive Onix.

9. Blaze The Movie Fan

Blaze The Movie Fan Reviewer and PokéFan

But Pokémon don't hatch from eggs like we see in the real world. The egg glows and becomes bigger when a baby Pokémon hatches from it.

It happens in the Pokémon anime a lot.

10. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

Didn't the gen 2 and 3 show the egg glowing as it hatched? I know it definitely was in one of the gens.

11. Omegagoldfish

Omegagoldfish My will be done

I never understood how breeding moves onto pokémon works?

I mean, both of my parents are lawyers, but I wasn't born with a doctorate in law.

12. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Maybe the moves a Pokemon can learn are determined by specific genes, and said genes only become active when the move is currently learned. So when parents knowing the move breed, they pass the active gene to their child instead of the inactive gene.

13. Blaze The Movie Fan

Blaze The Movie Fan Reviewer and PokéFan

You know, that explanation makes a lot of sense. Yeah it really does.

Though I must point out that Pokémon aren't born with the ability to control their moves, at least not in the anime.

Oshawott and Gible are perfect examples of what I'm talking about. Oshawott has a problem control its aqua jet, and as with Gible, it takes it a very long time to be able to finally control its dragon rage.

14. RedneckPrick

RedneckPrick Member

How 10 year olds leave home with little to nothing and somehow survive. When I was 10 my mom didn't even let me touch the oven yet in the Pokemon world kids somehow eat and sleep while walking everywhere. I guess in the anime the kids can eat and sleep I'm the PC, but there aren't enough in the world to fit every single trainer in the area.

15. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

That's simply explained using the game limitation explanation. It would be tricky and annoying to work in a learning curve for moves into a game mechanic form. The anime is not hindered by this, so it shows the true way things would occur, which is that knowing a move is not the same as mastering it.

The Pokemon World is a very different world from ours. It is made quite obvious, especially in the show, that in the World of Pokemon a ten year old is about the equivalent of our world's 16-18 year old. Apparently in the Pokemon World children mature faster and learn quicker than in our world. So unlike what you suggested, they know perfectly well how to survive.

16. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

Except knowledge isn't genetic, so no, it doesn't.

I believe the explanation for how Pokemon learn and forget moves is probably engrams that become active or inactive when it learns or forgets a move. So technically, a Pokemon has all moves it can potentially learn memorized but only 4 of those engrams can be active at a time, while the others are inactive. These engrams can be activated either by experience in battle, certain training methods (move tutors), or TMs could perhaps activate or maybe even rewrite them to allow for moves that the Pokemon would never be able to naturally learn.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  17. RedJirachi

The egg could be giant for all we know. Also, Pokemon can be of different height. Maybe the "height" in the Pokedex is its average adult height, and Onix is small enough at birth to curl up in that egg

18. Edmund Daltonic

Edmund Daltonic Active Member

I wonder if someone in that crazy world has ever used his/her pokemon to "relieve some tension". Machamp would be extremely popular among women.

19. Crystal

Crystal The Pokemon Observer

You know, the one who already had such idea is already crazy enough, let alone the actual execution.

But, I won't rule out the absolute possibility even it may be lower than the activation success rate of EVA-01. Because of Rule 34. No one can guarantee the actual Pokemon world don't exist such insane weirdo.

20. RedJirachi

As disturbing as the idea of Pokemon and human having a...let's just say unnaturally, un-Arceusly close bond, Pokemon itself has actually implied such. In X and Y, Hotel Richissime has a number of rather blue references, including a bed with Pokemon dander. You get Attract from a girl who says a Skiddo used it on her.

It isn't even isolated to Pokefrance. Yamask and Phantump are explictly said to be the ghosts of former humans, with the former remembering their human life. Yet not only can you catch them(hey, at least Pokeballs are equal-opportunist), but they can breed with other Pokemon. Yes, including Gardevoir.

Hmm...Pokemon, if you're trying to acknowledge "that" side of the fandom or sneak "mature" references to your older fans...don't do the above. Please, we don't want to think about it being in any way canon