• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Luthor

Here's something I found really weird.

In Sun/Moon, when you fight Lusamine in Ultra Space, she clearly calls Nihilego by name. When you start the UB quest, it's real name is also mentioned then. But when you actually fight it, it's still ??? even though you already know what its name is. What's up with that?

I figured that was just the rotom pokedex being petty. Refusing to accept the name until you caught the pokemon.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I figured that was just the rotom pokedex being petty. Refusing to accept the name until you caught the pokemon.

Well we know that the Rotom Dex can be sassy so it makes sense.

Luthor

One thing that doesn't quite make sense yet is that Oranguru and Passimian share a pokedex page (unless they later turn out to be related). The only other counterparts that share a page and are not confirmed as related are Tauros and Miltank. (Even though they are generally considered to be the gender equivalents). It's not a problem but at the moment it doesn't make sense.

WildHennaCharizard

One thing that doesn't quite make sense yet is that Oranguru and Passimian share a pokedex page (unless they later turn out to be related). The only other counterparts that share a page and are not confirmed as related are Tauros and Miltank. (Even though they are generally considered to be the gender equivalents). It's not a problem but at the moment it doesn't make sense.

My guess it's that since Passimian is holding a coconut it is some kind of sports player (football/handhand etc) and Oranguru holding the fan is a referee.

McKnight

Why is there still no Light type to counter the Dark type? (And no, Psychic and Fairy do not count; Fairy would be more a countertype to Ghost than Dark.) Some moves that could easily have it would include Bestow, Follow Me, After You, and Baton Pass (in contrast to how Dark is all about "cheating"), and mons would include Togepi, Chansey, Miltank, Celebi, and Jirachi (given how they bring good luck or exist to help people or something).

^^^ why is this the second time I've encountered a guy spamming random cr*p into a thread? Two different people now.

Edit: adbot, ignore me. It got banned.

And yes, why is there no light type? It'd make perfect sense.

Last edited:

On the subject of Steelix using Rollout, I'd guess it curls up into a wheel and rolls around.

What I find weird is how nearly every Pokémon can learn Rock Tomb. I mean, wha is the in-universe method for using Rock Tomb? Does the Pokémon just throw rocks? That wouldn't work in many environments.

Also how does Ditto gain mass when when itt transforms?

gliscor&yanmega

Why is there still no Light type to counter the Dark type? (And no, Psychic and Fairy do not count; Fairy would be more a countertype to Ghost than Dark.) Some moves that could easily have it would include Bestow, Follow Me, After You, and Baton Pass (in contrast to how Dark is all about "cheating"), and mons would include Togepi, Chansey, Miltank, Celebi, and Jirachi (given how they bring good luck or exist to help people or something).
Fighting type is the counterpart to Dark type.

Dark type is basically fighting dirty while Fighting type is basically fighting noble.

Luthor

One odd thing is that neither Guzma or Plumeria use the Z-Crystal that is normally associated with them at the battle tree. It's not a major issue just a little odd.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I still don't understand why the Chansey line isn't either pure or part Fairy type. I'm not basing this on Egg groups but rather what they represent. Chansey symbolizes luck and Blissey is the personification of pure happiness with its eggs being said to be pure joy. Giving people luck and happiness are what most fairies in stories do particularly the Fairy Godmothers. Out of all the potential Pokémon to become Fairy, I'm surprised that these three stayed the same type. It would have been great to have a Fairy type that could withstand attacks while healing itself often.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I still don't understand why the Chansey line isn't either pure or part Fairy type. I'm not basing this on Egg groups but rather what they represent. Chansey symbolizes luck and Blissey is the personification of pure happiness with its eggs being said to be pure joy. Giving people luck and happiness are what most fairies in stories do particularly the Fairy Godmothers. Out of all the potential Pokémon to become Fairy, I'm surprised that these three stayed the same type. It would have been great to have a Fairy type that could withstand attacks while healing itself often.

I agree that they probably should have been Fairy-Types, but my reason is a bit more superficial. The other two "pink puffball" Normal-Types of Gen I (Jigglypuff and Clefariy) became Fairy-Types, so why not the third?

Echo Nacyl

I agree that they probably should have been Fairy-Types, but my reason is a bit more superficial. The other two "pink puffball" Normal-Types of Gen I (Jigglypuff and Clefariy) became Fairy-Types, so why not the third?

I can't help but feel like that's exactly why they didn't; so it wouldn't be a generalized thing. It did surprise me though.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
What I find weird is how nearly every Pokémon can learn Rock Tomb. I mean, wha is the in-universe method for using Rock Tomb? Does the Pokémon just throw rocks? That wouldn't work in many environments.

Also how does Ditto gain mass when when itt transforms?
I'd say rock tomb and rock slide probably are akin to surf or dive being possible on land; mainly taking the environment into account would be hindering in so many cases to several moves (and certain pokémon in general, such as the fish-like ones) that it's probably just best to suspend disbelief for the sake of the gameplay. Then again, the developers appear to have been experimenting with making environment matter recently what with terrains and sky battles being introduced lately. I doubt the logical extreme would be taken though, seeing as, again, that would probably mean making pokémon like kyogre near useless for example, and probably even greatly decreasing the convenience of surf in battle (which is one of the rare moves that's just as useful inside battle as it is outside).

You did remind me of another odd thing about rock moves, namely onix being able to use rock throw. Even as a kid I wondered how a snake could throw anything. Flinging something with its mouth wouldn't seem that efficient, though it's not like rock throw is that damaging a move in any case.

As for ditto, that's like asking why a pokémon gains mass once you release it from a poké ball (i. e. why you can walk with a ball containing a snorlax in your belt without throwing your back out) or why it gains mass when it evolves. Pretty much, it's a pretty well established paradigm in the Pokémon universe that conservation of matter is played very loosely, so that's more something nonsensical by real world standards than Pokémon standards.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
I'd say rock tomb and rock slide probably are akin to surf or dive being possible on land; mainly taking the environment into account would be hindering in so many cases to several moves (and certain pokémon in general, such as the fish-like ones) that it's probably just best to suspend disbelief for the sake of the gameplay. Then again, the developers appear to have been experimenting with making environment matter recently what with terrains and sky battles being introduced lately. I doubt the logical extreme would be taken though, seeing as, again, that would probably mean making pokémon like kyogre near useless for example, and probably even greatly decreasing the convenience of surf in battle (which is one of the rare moves that's just as useful inside battle as it is outside).

You did remind me of another odd thing about rock moves, namely onix being able to use rock throw. Even as a kid I wondered how a snake could throw anything. Flinging something with its mouth wouldn't seem that efficient, though it's not like rock throw is that damaging a move in any case.

As for ditto, that's like asking why a pokémon gains mass once you release it from a poké ball (i. e. why you can walk with a ball containing a snorlax in your belt without throwing your back out) or why it gains mass when it evolves. Pretty much, it's a pretty well established paradigm in the Pokémon universe that conservation of matter is played very loosely, so that's more something nonsensical by real world standards than Pokémon standards.

To add on to the thing about moves like Rock Slide, wasn't it shown in the anime that certain moves like Rock Slide have rocks falling out of the sky from some sort of portal? And with Rock tomb, rocks coming out of the ground to trap and or slow the opponent? Similar to how Grass Knot where small blades of grass tie each other to bind or trip the opponent?

octoboy

I Crush Everything
To add on to the thing about moves like Rock Slide, wasn't it shown in the anime that certain moves like Rock Slide have rocks falling out of the sky from some sort of portal?
If that's how it's done, it's a wonder hyperspace hole isn't a capability of much more pokémon :p

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I can't help but feel like that's exactly why they didn't; so it wouldn't be a generalized thing. It did surprise me though.

The thing is, I just can't see why the other two would be Fairy-Types, but Chansey wouldn't be. It's not generalizing if it makes more sense.

As a child, I imagined it spitting rocks from it's mouth, as most ranged Pokemon attacks come from the mouth in the anime (Flamethrower, Water Gun, Hyper Beam, etc.). In more recent years I evision it using its tails to throw the rocks.

Well, if we want to look at the Pokeball as a tool of science fiction, which it pretty much is, the answer is that no mass is lost at all, the mass isn't changed, it's simply transformed into weightless energy. As Einstein stated with e=mc^2, e being energy and m being mass, energy and mass are related and can be transformed into one another. So it actually makes perfect sense in that context.

To add on to the thing about moves like Rock Slide, wasn't it shown in the anime that certain moves like Rock Slide have rocks falling out of the sky from some sort of portal? And with Rock tomb, rocks coming out of the ground to trap and or slow the opponent? Similar to how Grass Knot where small blades of grass tie each other to bind or trip the opponent?

That is correct.

Elite4woolfy

✽✽✽✽✽✽
One thing that has bothered me is that there is only one special Rock-type attack.

Akashin

One thing that has bothered me is that there is only one special Rock-type attack.

Between Ancient Power and Power Gem, which one are you not counting?

That said, it's still only two (three if you decide to count Continental Crush coming off either of those two, I guess).

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
honestly so many attacks should be switched up imo. Water attacks confuse me, because isn't water gun all about the pressure that hits the opponent? that confuses me a bit

Honestly, I believe something like Water Gun's power would range from a less powerful pressurized water jet (something to how pressurized water cuts steel but on a smaller, weaker scale) as compared to Hydro Pump which would be like using a fire hose on somebody at point blank range.