• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

JW1004

I wonder why the Shellder on Slowbro's tail and on Slowking's head looks different to the Shellder we normally see.

It probably evolves/transforms along with the Pokémon to be able to clamp onto the tail/head in a form that comes in most handy. I guess it would be hard for a Shellder to clamb to a crown and a Slowpoke head or a tail in it's normal form.

Luthor

I wonder why the Shellder on Slowbro's tail and on Slowking's head looks different to the Shellder we normally see.

For me what surprises me more is that Slowbro can learn Withdraw which has a description "The user withdraws its body into its hard shell, raising its Defense stat." In Mega form it makes sense but how it uses the move when it doesn't mega evolve is really strange with that discription.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
For me what surprises me more is that Slowbro can learn Withdraw which has a description "The user withdraws its body into its hard shell, raising its Defense stat." In Mega form it makes sense but how it uses the move when it doesn't mega evolve is really strange with that discription.

Move descriptions are the same regardless of what Pokémon has the move so there will be weird things like this. And also related to Shellder and Slowpoke, it's puzzling how Shellder triggers Slowpoke's evolution, Beldum and Metang joining together to evolve and Magnemite joining together to evolve even though they evolve in the games using completely different methods.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
And also related to Shellder and Slowpoke, it's puzzling how Shellder triggers Slowpoke's evolution, Beldum and Metang joining together to evolve and Magnemite joining together to evolve even though they evolve in the games using completely different methods.

That simply comes down to the limitations of what can be portrayed in a game. It was impractical, especially in the relatively simple Gen I games, to have a Pokemon evolve by having multiple Pokemon combine into one. We can imagine, or just see in the case of the anime, that these Pokemon are indeed combing with others to evolve, we just don't see that part in-game due to the convuluted mechanics it would invoke.

That being said, going forward, it wouldn't surprise me if some future generation invoked a sort of reverse Nincada evolution as a one-off gimmick.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Especially considering it's Pokedex entry "When its body becomes too large to fit inside the shell, it is sure evidence that this Pokémon is getting close to evolution" and then evolves by trade.

The Pokedex has made too many ridiculous claims for me to take anything it says seriously. This is the same dex that says Garchomp can fly and Magcargo is hotter than the sun

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The Pokedex has made too many ridiculous claims for me to take anything it says seriously. This is the same dex that says Garchomp can fly and Magcargo is hotter than the sun

The pokedex shouldn't be automatically discounted either. There's nothing wrong with it claiming a cramped shell means it's about evolve. And, also, Garchomp has been shown to be able to fly in the anime, so there's nothing wrong with that.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Magneton is made of three Magnemite, yet weighs ten times a normal Magnemite

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Try to think of it less of the three Magnemite simply combine into one, and more of the three evolve and transform together into one. Seeing as one Pokémon evolving alone can multiply it's weight, three evolving into one could easily change their weight as well.

To put it in perspective, think about Metang. It is supposedly two Beldum coming together, and while you can plainly see that each of Metang's legs represent a Beldum, it's body/head seems to have appeared from nowhere. This came from the evolution process. Just as a body can appear when two Beldum combine, so too can the extra weight from the three Magnemite.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Makes mythink whenever Cosmog evolves into Cosmoem, it becomes twice as short and its weight increases almost 10000 times. I believe it has something to do with star formation in the real world.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Nuzleaf has nipples. Makes me uncomfortable.

Not to judge you, but you're uncomfortable with a normal feature of human anatomy? At least it has a masculine body. I could see it becoming uncomfortable otherwise, but I see no issue as it is.

Makes mythink whenever Cosmog evolves into Cosmoem, it becomes twice as short and its weight increases almost 10000 times. I believe it has something to do with star formation in the real world.

It's probably a reference to how nebulae are extremely diffuse (spread out) with extremely low density, but once a star (or perhaps a protostar in Cosmoem's case) forms, it takes up much less area, but is extremely dense due to the workings of gravity. In fact, the more dense a star, the smaller area it will have typically.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Why the hell does virtually every pokemon know Toxic?

I mean seriously, whose idea was this?

I guess it has something to do with their bodily fluids they can eject out of their mouth, perhaps something acidic, which has connotations of something harmful, hence the name 'Toxic'.

It's probably a reference to how nebulae are extremely diffuse (spread out) with extremely low density, but once a star (or perhaps a protostar in Cosmoem's case) forms, it takes up much less area, but is extremely dense due to the workings of gravity. In fact, the more dense a star, the smaller area it will have typically.

Well considering that nebulae are composed of light gases like hydrogen and gases occupy whatever space is around it, it does make sense that Cosmog is so light.

Last edited:

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
It's probably been said before, but I will NEVER understand why Drowzee is a Human-Shaped egg type Pokemon. So, wait, Drowzee can breed with Bisharp, but Gardevoir can not despite looking more human than an adorably fat and sily chocolate-dipped banana elephant?

Remember kids, Bestiality is wrong. ...Unless it's a tapir. Tapir's are 100% compatibe with humans. ...Pokemon Logic. <_<

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's probably been said before, but I will NEVER understand why Drowzee is a Human-Shaped egg type Pokemon. So, wait, Drowzee can breed with Bisharp, but Gardevoir can not despite looking more human than an adorably fat and sily chocolate-dipped banana elephant?

It has two arms, two legs, a single head, no significant tail, stands in a bipedal stance, and has relatively normal human proportions for all of those traits. That's pretty much the definition of a humanoid form. I can't account for Gardevoir not being in the Human-Shape group, but Drowzee fits fine. It's also worth mentioning that even if you can't accept that, Drowzee could simply be in the Human-Shape group by association with Hypno, as Hypno fits even better into the Human-shape group.

Remember kids, Bestiality is wrong. ...Unless it's a tapir. Tapir's are 100% compatibe with humans. ...Pokemon Logic. <_<

Except Human-Shape Pokémon aren't humans. That's a major difference. Nothing here is implying that a human and a tapir could reproduce. What it's implying is that a vaguely humanoid Pokémon can breed with a vaguely humanoid-shaped tapir Pokémon. The logic is perfectly sound.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
It has two arms, two legs, a single head, no significant tail, stands in a bipedal stance, and has relatively normal human proportions for all of those traits. That's pretty much the definition of a humanoid form. I can't account for Gardevoir not being in the Human-Shape group, but Drowzee fits fine. It's also worth mentioning that even if you can't accept that, Drowzee could simply be in the Human-Shape group by association with Hypno, as Hypno fits even better into the Human-shape group.

Except Human-Shape Pokémon aren't humans. That's a major difference. Nothing here is implying that a human and a tapir could reproduce. What it's implying is that a vaguely humanoid Pokémon can breed with a vaguely humanoid-shaped tapir Pokémon. The logic is perfectly sound.

Yeah, but even with Hypno that is debatable. His ears are DEFINITELY not human and his feet and mane arguably are not. Plus, Drowzee can hardly be considered "human anatomy." Short, stubby legs, fat and stout body, tapir lip, non-human ears, etc.

...That was meant as a joke. Doy! -_-

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I really don't get how there are pokemon who cannot level up and evolve via battling, and thus can only do so through unconventional means, such as indirect battles, EXP Share, or a crapload of Rare Candies.

It makes no sense to have a pokemon that literally cannot attack. This is why I've never bothered keeping Cosmog. Its existence outside the story is pointless. There is literally nothing it can do. Seriously, why have a pokemon like this?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yeah, but even with Hypno that is debatable. His ears are DEFINITELY not human and his feet and mane arguably are not. Plus, Drowzee can hardly be considered "human anatomy." Short, stubby legs, fat and stout body, tapir lip, non-human ears, etc.

I never said human anatomy, I said humanoid. The group is called the human-like group, not the human group. You only have to be vaguely human-like in shape (as i defined in my original post), which Drowzee certainly is, to fit into this group. Since these are Pokémon we're talking about, every single Pokémon in the egg group is going to have features that separate them from humans, because they're not humans. If anything, I would argue that Drowzee fits better than some others in the group, such as Abra, Croagunk, or Volbeat.

...That was meant as a joke. Doy! -_-

I figured, but you never know how much actual sentiment is behind a joke, so I responded nonetheless.

I really don't get how there are pokemon who cannot level up and evolve via battling, and thus can only do so through unconventional means, such as indirect battles, EXP Share, or a crapload of Rare Candies.

It makes no sense to have a pokemon that literally cannot attack. This is why I've never bothered keeping Cosmog. Its existence outside the story is pointless. There is literally nothing it can do. Seriously, why have a pokemon like this?

They're designed to be a challenge to raise, and normally you are reward for the effort. Magikarp being the prime example of this.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
They're designed to be a challenge to raise, and normally you are reward for the effort. Magikarp being the prime example of this.

Out of universe, yes. In-universe, it isn't established how Magikarp and Cosmog can get stronger if they start with a move that does nothing. Especially apparent with Cosmog since it evolving is an important part of the plot point. Bigger question-how can Lillie lift Cosmoem, a Pokemon that weighs almost a ton and has the density of a white dwarf, when it doesn't move or have Levitate as an ability? How does something like that not just rip out of her bag?