• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Bigger question-how can Lillie lift Cosmoem, a Pokemon that weighs almost a ton and has the density of a white dwarf, when it doesn't move or have Levitate as an ability? How does something like that not just rip out of her bag?

Yeah, quite strange. And yet it's just as strange that Ash wasn't only able to hold a Hippopotas on his head, but he was able to lift Nebby as a Cosmoem and even Pikachu could do it. Maybe it just floats in Lillie's bag so that it doesn't drag it down too much.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Out of universe, yes. In-universe, it isn't established how Magikarp and Cosmog can get stronger if they start with a move that does nothing. Especially apparent with Cosmog since it evolving is an important part of the plot point. Bigger question-how can Lillie lift Cosmoem, a Pokemon that weighs almost a ton and has the density of a white dwarf, when it doesn't move or have Levitate as an ability? How does something like that not just rip out of her bag?

Magikarp, in the anime takes a very dedicated and experienced trainer to train into gyarados.

Cosmog is referred to as a prince, he would have been protected by the people in the past, going by the name they gave it. They'd help it carefully experience life and help it turn into the god it will be. As for lifting Cosmoem, gravity. Gravity seems to have a different effect on the lines then normal terrestrial creatures in the pokemon world. As they are stars which stay suspended in the sky, I assume they gave that power to the line that represents them. You don't measure a stars' weight by putting it on a scale, you do a mathematical equation using weights and densities and knowing the chemicals, etc.

Basically the cosmog line isn't bound by earth-physics, it seems to be bound by astro-physics

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Out of universe, yes. In-universe, it isn't established how Magikarp and Cosmog can get stronger if they start with a move that does nothing. Especially apparent with Cosmog since it evolving is an important part of the plot point.

I've always seen leveling up as an over-simplified game mechanic version of how Pokémon would actually grow stronger in real life. Just look at the anime and how level are very rarely, if ever, mentioned, and the fact that levels seem to have no impact on Pokémon learning moves or evolving. My point is, Pokémon can mature and grow stronger in more ways than battling, but for sake of game mechanics, that's all we see in the games.

Bigger question-how can Lillie lift Cosmoem, a Pokemon that weighs almost a ton and has the density of a white dwarf, when it doesn't move or have Levitate as an ability? How does something like that not just rip out of her bag?

It may not have Levitate as an ability, but it still floats. If you would allow Levitate as an explanation, then you should allow it floating as an explanation. It's the same logic either way.

As for lifting Cosmoem, gravity. Gravity seems to have a different effect on the lines then normal terrestrial creatures in the pokemon world. As they are stars which stay suspended in the sky, I assume they gave that power to the line that represents them. You don't measure a stars' weight by putting it on a scale, you do a mathematical equation using weights and densities and knowing the chemicals, etc.

Basically the cosmog line isn't bound by earth-physics, it seems to be bound by astro-physics

Sorry, I'm studying to be an astrophysicist, so I've just got to come in and say that that's not how gravity works at all. Gravity has the same effects no matter where you are in the universe. There is no such thing as "Earth physics," just regular physics, and astrophysics is simply a specialization of it. Stars don't "float" in the sky because gravity works on them differently. Nothing's really floating at all. It's just that from an Earth-bound perspective, we expect everything to fall, as we are right on top of a relatively massive object, but off the Earth it's more about the interactions between all the various massive objects which are extremely far from each other. For example, stars actually are falling, they're just falling around the super-massive black hole in the center of our galaxy in an orbit.

Sorry if you didn't want an astrophysics lecture, I couldn't help myself.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Pokemon having to learn stuff that should come naturally like flying, swimming and cutting down treets.

I think it's less about the innate ability of the Pokémon, and more about the way the Pokémon is used. Maybe the Pokémon can fly or swim naturally, but that doesn't mean it knows how to let a trainer ride on its back and travel in specific ways to specific places.

Also, the fact that HMs can only be used after clearing gyms seems to imply that there's some sort of regulations placed on their usage. So you can kind of compare the HM Surf to a being the Pokwmon world-equivalent of a driver's licence. Sure, you could just hop in a car and drive if you want, but it is illegal, so most people don't. This theory is somewhat expanded upon by a piece of NPC dialogue in Sun and Moon where a person states that HMs flat out aren't allowed in Alola. It's not just a matter of people choosing to use Ride Pokémon instead of HMs, it's illegal to use the HMs, implying that there must be a reason to do so, and thus in places where it is legal, there needs to be strict rules about its usage.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The Distortion World is supposed to not follow the same rules of space and time...yet day/night events like Eevee evolution can happen inside it

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Distortion World is supposed to not follow the same rules of space and time...yet day/night events like Eevee evolution can happen inside it

The Distortion World is a counterpart to the real world so it might have its own day and night system.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

That's almost certainly due to laziness on the game designers' part. You travel to the Distortion World for such a small period of time that they designers didn't see the need to program a special exception for just this one place. It is practically ensured that if Pokémon were not hindered by game design, this would not be an issue. As proof, look to the Giratina movie, where Shaymin's Sky Form, which requires it to be day, reverts back to Land Form when in the Distortion World. This means that daytime has no influence in Distortion World.

Luthor

It never makes much sense how little your character reacts to visiting a destroyed Hau'oli City (ultra ruin) during ultrasun and ultramoon . This should be a much more impactful scene for them.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It never makes much sense how little your character reacts to visiting a destroyed Hau'oli City (ultra ruin) during ultrasun and ultramoon . This should be a much more impactful scene for them.

Your character doesn't react to anything, as they're an emotionless avatar. Why should this be any different?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Your character doesn't react to anything, as they're an emotionless avatar. Why should this be any different?

It's more a grinds my gears issue. The problem is that is takes away from the more emotive companions in cutscenes

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Blastoise's ridiculously long legs in Pokkén.

I mean, why? Where in the Pokémon universe would that make sense?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow, a patch of tall grass from Route 1 extends into Pallet Town and in the Pallet Town section of the tall grass, no wild Pokémon can be found in it because there is no encounter data at Pallet Town.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
In Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow, a patch of tall grass from Route 1 extends into Pallet Town and in the Pallet Town section of the tall grass, no wild Pokémon can be found in it because there is no encounter data at Pallet Town.

Okay, what doesn't make sense about that?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Okay, what doesn't make sense about that?
Well what normally should be in patches of tall grass are wild encounters but in the patch of tall grass I talked about (the one onto Route 1 in Pallet Town), there are no wild encounters in that patch and therefore what is the purpose of that tall grass in Pallet Town.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Well what normally should be in patches of tall grass are wild encounters but in the patch of tall grass I talked about (the one onto Route 1 in Pallet Town), there are no wild encounters in that patch and therefore what is the purpose of that tall grass in Pallet Town.
Most likely an excuse for Prof Oak to stop you.

Here is what I don’t get. Diglett and Dugtrio have Dex entries mentioning claws and Diglett even mentions having feet in the PMD games and they learn moves involving claws. Yet we literally have never seen them out of the ground completely and they appear from under the ground when sent out in battle. Why? Is there something truly horrific under all that dirt that must be kept hidden in a similar fashion to Mimikyu and its cloth?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Here is what I don’t get. Diglett and Dugtrio have Dex entries mentioning claws and Diglett even mentions having feet in the PMD games and they learn moves involving claws. Yet we literally have never seen them out of the ground completely and they appear from under the ground when sent out in battle. Why? Is there something truly horrific under all that dirt that must be kept hidden in a similar fashion to Mimikyu and its cloth?
Yeah. I just don't get why Diglett learns all of those claw moves even though it doesn't have visible claws too. And one of the first moves that Diglett learns is Scratch.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

It's just supposed to be a mystery of the Pokémon world. It has claws, but in normal situations it has no reason to show them, so people don't normally see them. No issue here.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Maybe Diglett and Dugtrio are capable of moving their limbs so fast the human eye can't see it happen

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Maybe Diglett and Dugtrio are capable of moving their limbs so fast the human eye can't see it happen
I think that Diglett and Dugtrio's limbs are hidden well underground and can't be seen normally. Maybe they could use them only when using claw moves but like what you said, it could be so fast that it's hard to see its limbs.