• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Luthor

It actually makes a lot of sense, if you think about it. Since Arctozolt is formed from two separate Pokémon, it stands to reason that each one would have had their own move set originally, which were combined to form the moveset of Arctozolt. Since the fists of Arctozolt come from the "Zolt" half, there's no reason for it to learn Ice Punch, especially since the the "Arcto" half probably couldn't use Ice Punch either, as it likely had fins instead of fists. Basically, neither of the component halves would be able to use Ice Punch themselves, so the combined version shouldn't be able to either.

It's little details like this that show that Game Freak doesn't just slap moves on to a Pokémon willy-nilly. They come up with logic and reasons behind every move (for the most part).

I'd say the Zolt part on it's own should be be able to learn it. I'd say it was a bit more of a natural ice punch user than say Wooper or Gulpin.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The Electric half still could possibly use IcePunch. I mean Electabuzz could learn it and there is absolutely nothing icy about it.
I'd say the Zolt part on it's own should be be able to learn it. I'd say it was a bit more of a natural ice punch user than say Wooper or Gulpin.

Yes, it could learn Ice Punch, but that wasn't the point of what I was saying. I was giving a reason why being an Ice-Type that learns other punching moves doesn't automatically mean it should learn Ice Punch. There is definitely still logic here.

Gastly can learn Ice punch wiÞ no arms but Kyurem wiÞ a literal fist made of ice can't learn Ice Punch. Lickitung couldn't originally learn Lick. Pokémon learnsets don't make sense and never have.

Hence why I put the "for the most part" part in parenthesis. There are oddities, but overall things mostly make sense.

Also, Kyurem not learning Ice Punch makes sense, as how would it use Ice Punch in its regular form, with those pathetic arms? I also wouldn't really hold Lickitung not learning Lick against them, as its abundantly clear that not nearly as much thought was put into things in Gen I. The fact that they later fixed it makes it okay.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Ditto can breed with almost anything, but can't breed with themselves. H...how do you sustain your numbers?

Hmmm, maybe the "Ditto are failed Mew clones" theory really is right

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Ditto can breed with almost anything, but can't breed with themselves. H...how do you sustain your numbers?

I have always thought it multiplied by splitting into two like an amoeba.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I have always thought it multiplied by splitting into two like an amoeba.
That would explain how some genderless Pokemon reproduce. Though on that note I don't think they've ever been called genderless in-universe, I think it simply means their gender is unknown/non-binary

Why do we live in a world where no Bug/Flying Pokemon, even huge ones like Yanmega can't learn Fly, but Pokemon based on flightless birds can?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
That would explain how some genderless Pokemon reproduce. Though on that note I don't think they've ever been called genderless in-universe, I think it simply means their gender is unknown/non-binary
Well some genderless Pokémon have genders outside of the main series games which are typically Legendaries and Mythicals. Celebi is said to be female in the PMD games, Keldeo is male in its movie along with Terrakion and Colbalion with Virizon being female, Mewtwo can be either given we’ve heard two different voices for the two known Mewtwo in existence in the movie canon, Solgaleo is said to be male and Lunala to be female, Tapu Fini And Lele are clearly meant to be female, Darkrai is typically said to be male in the PMD games, and Lucia was shown to have a literal baby which proves there have to be males and females of its species because the adult was clearly a mother.

NeedsAName

Lucia was shown to have a literal baby which proves there have to be males and females of its species because the adult was clearly a mother.

Actually, some species, such as Þe New Mexico whiptail, literally have no males and all Þe females reproduce by parÞenogenesis.

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Or female Conkeldurr, male Lopunny, female Machamp, male Gothitelle, female Tyrantrum, male Aurorus, female Incineroar, male Aromatisse, female Alakazam, male Bellossom...
Several of those make perfect sense if you think about it a bit. Namely there is nothing inherently male or female about the appearance of Tyrantrum or Aurorus, they just look like rocky/magical versions of the dinosaurs they are based on. Also, in the animal world mustaches or mustache-like hair are found on many creatures regardless of their sex (emperor tamarins for instance), so female Alakazam makes sense too.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Actually, some species, such as Þe New Mexico whiptail, literally have no males and all Þe females reproduce by parÞenogenesis.
They can also be created through hybridization of two parent species, in which case a male is required. I see you're trying to bring "thorn" back.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Most likely, Ditto, like most any other Pokémon that can't breed (mainly Legendary Pokémon), can breed, just not in under the circumstances presented to them at daycare centers. Notice how the Egg Group for unbreedable Pokémon (aside from Ditto) is listed as "Uknown," rather than "None." All it means is that it's not known how these Pokémon breed.

Something similar is probably true for genderless Pokémon, since they clearly aren't exclusively breeding with Ditto in the wild.

NeedsAName

Most likely, Ditto, like most any other Pokémon that can't breed (mainly Legendary Pokémon), can breed, just not in under the circumstances presented to them at daycare centers. Notice how the Egg Group for unbreedable Pokémon (aside from Ditto) is listed as "Uknown," rather than "None." All it means is that it's not known how these Pokémon breed.

Something similar is probably true for genderless Pokémon, since they clearly aren't exclusively breeding with Ditto in the wild.

I like Þe Þeory Þat "genderless" Pokémon actually just have genders oÞer Þan Þe normal male and female dichotomy. Þere are also some genderless Pokémon Þat could actually be considered multiple entities, such as wiÞ Þe Galarian fossils or Falinks, so assigning one gender to all might not be Þe most logical idea.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I like Þe Þeory Þat "genderless" Pokémon actually just have genders oÞer Þan Þe normal male and female dichotomy. Þere are also some genderless Pokémon Þat could actually be considered multiple entities, such as wiÞ Þe Galarian fossils or Falinks, so assigning one gender to all might not be Þe most logical idea.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that most genderless Pokémon (excluding Legendary Pokémon) just don't a have a gender, given the fact that genderless Pokémon tend to be those that are inorganic in nature, implying they lack certain aspects of biology, such as gender. That's not to say that no genderless Pokémon could fall under the Pokémon with non-standard genders. Staryu and Starmie seem like a good possibility, since they're not based on an inanimate object, and starfish in real life are more complicated than most animals to assign genders to.

Now most Legendaries probably have fairly standard genders, they just leave that part off of most of them due to how mysterious and hard to study the Pokémon, making it impossible to ID a gender.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what in the world is going on with your "Þ's" instead of "th's?" It makes it difficult to read your posts.

Luthor

Why all the starters have the same abilities (Torrent, Blaze and overgrow ) as their primary and then have that be such a rare ability for non starters(literally only the elemental monkeys). I get it for balance reasons but outside of that from an internal world logic for all these varied Pokemon to have the same primary abilities is an oddity.

Last edited:

NeedsAName

Why all the starters have the same abilities (Torrent, Blaze and overgrow ) as their primary and then have that be such a rare ability for non starters(literally only the elemental monkeys). I get it for balance reasons but outside of that from an internal world logic for all these varied Pokemon to have the same primary abilities is an oddity.

I personally hadn't had Þis Þought before, but it makes complete sense. Each trio should still be balanced ability-wise, but Þis could be accomplished several oÞer ways:
  • Give Þem all Þe same basic ability Þat benefits them equally, like Adaptability, Cute Charm, or Run Away
  • Use a different trio of abilities, like Þe trios of Mega Launcher+Strong Jaw+Technician, Guts+Marvel Scale+Quick Feet, or Grassy Surge+Drought+Drizzle (Yes, Þis last one only sort of works)
  • Make up a completely new ability trio

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I think it's fairly safe to assume that most genderless Pokémon (excluding Legendary Pokémon) just don't a have a gender, given the fact that genderless Pokémon tend to be those that are inorganic in nature, implying they lack certain aspects of biology, such as gender. That's not to say that no genderless Pokémon could fall under the Pokémon with non-standard genders. Staryu and Starmie seem like a good possibility, since they're not based on an inanimate object, and starfish in real life are more complicated than most animals to assign genders to.

Now most Legendaries probably have fairly standard genders, they just leave that part off of most of them due to how mysterious and hard to study the Pokémon, making it impossible to ID a gender.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what in the world is going on with your "Þ's" instead of "th's?" It makes it difficult to read your posts.
I agree with you totally here on the genders. It seems to be human nature to push a gender or stereotypical perspective onto inanimate objects or animals but I think it's important to recognize when we do that too.

also for the P for TH, i'm assuming he is a fan of vikings/iceland and thinks its interesting to use thorn or whatever the symbol is called although it just makes it harder to read quickly lol.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:
Does anyone know why Razor wind and Whirlwind are normal moves instead of Flying moves? Most wind based moves seem to be flying unless there is a type based reason (such as heatwave)

They're both Gen I attacks, so I just chalk it up to early series syndrome. I always thought that a lot of things from Gen I didn't make sense or weren't planned out that well, such as Dragon Rage being the only Dragon-type attack from Gen I and it dealing a set amount of damage and not being affected by type match-ups.