• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

octoboy

I Crush Everything
My guess would be humidity in the air. As for Magikarp, I think it's kind of like Iceland being green and Greenland being icy.

This makes even more sense with the theory of magikarp as being "magi karp" instead of "magik karp". In Japanese it was called "Koiking", so the magi may very well represent its king-like appearance (crown-shaped fins), not its being magical in any way.

And surf probably just does follow the same logic as hydro pump. Though dive is an odd one.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
This makes even more sense with the theory of magikarp as being "magi karp" instead of "magik karp". In Japanese it was called "Koiking", so the magi may very well represent its king-like appearance (crown-shaped fins), not its being magical in any way.

And surf probably just does follow the same logic as hydro pump. Though dive is an odd one.

My guess is that dive pulls water up from the ground (or plumbing system) an makes a pool of it in the hole that it leaves.

Cutty

Forever now
I have a question.

How does repel work actually?
I know it based on steps, but is it sprayed on the body/feet?
And what is it that keep wild pokemon away, is it the smell like Skuntank?

pacack825

A meowing duck.

pacack825

A meowing duck.

pacack825

A meowing duck.
Well, the repellent does run out after a certain numbers of steps...

The same in air as in water...? Got to wonder what they're using for it :p I'd buy it.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Well, the repellent does run out after a certain numbers of steps...

Makes as much sense as an egg's relying on being carried by a moving body to hatch. Pretty much walking is time in the pokémon world. Not all of the games had clocks.

Come to think of it, the whole eggs need steps thing is kind of weird if you can't ignore its obvious game mechanic explanation. Would this mean pokémon carry their eggs around instead of sit on them?

But like I said, time in motion is just meant to be time because that was the only way some of the games could have it. Though don't ask me why that wouldn't apply in Johto or Sinnoh or those regions, maybe the designers thought hatching an egg needed to require effort, and either indefinite repellents would be cheap, or people would naturally not want to permanently be unable to encounter wild pokémon. In short, mechanic practicality goes before logic.

pacack825

A meowing duck.
...And you're also underwater?

Still, I've seen waterproof insect repentant before.

Even the best waterproof repellents work more effectively when not underwater...Pokemon's repels are just as effective either way.

Will DeRegio

Why is it that the criminal organizations are taken down by 10-year-olds, and not the police? And, if they steal pokemon, why the ones that kinda suck? If I were to steal a pokemon, I'd go for the guy with a Tyranitar or a Metagross, not a Zubat or a Wurmple. And who, in there right minds, would let a 10-year-old totter off with a creature capable of massive damage? And what exactly does training pokemon classify as, a career?

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Why is it that the criminal organizations are taken down by 10-year-olds, and not the police? And, if they steal pokemon, why the ones that kinda suck? If I were to steal a pokemon, I'd go for the guy with a Tyranitar or a Metagross, not a Zubat or a Wurmple. And who, in there right minds, would let a 10-year-old totter off with a creature capable of massive damage? And what exactly does training pokemon classify as, a career?

They steal weak Pokemon because the trainers with strong Pokemon are too strong to beat, and therefor steal from.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
You can bring in an Onix in a Pokemon Center in HG/SS 0-0

Even better, you can bring in Arceus, the supposed creator of the universe, and nobody bats an eyelash. That also goes for most of the legendary Pokemon. I remember one time, I let my cousin borrow my game so he could use my Jirachi in a Pokemon Contest. He was so surprised when it didn't get an auto-win because of its rarity. XD

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Oh yeah, how you can't encounter wild Pokémon in grass, caves, or the water unless you move. You'd think that at least some wild Pokémon would run up to you and try to see what's interrupting their natural habitat or something.