• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Doomsdaytreecko

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Ok basically this thread is about what thing in the games or anime series which has bothered you in some way or been that little bit irritating.

Allow me to start with these two examples:

1) Why is it that Hitmonlee can learn Sucker Punch but not Hitmonchan? It's the punching pokemon and it's Kicking counterpart has a Punch which it can't have.

2) Why on earth can Wooper learn Ice Punch? Where are it's arms?

neo darkrai

Amateur YouTuber

My theory. Wooper's tail morphs into a FIST when using Ice Punch. Best I think anyone can come up with.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Why is it that Hitmonlee can learn Sucker Punch but not Hitmonchan? It's the punching pokemon and it's Kicking counterpart has a Punch which it can't have.

Sucker Punch's name in japanese just translates to "Surprise Attack". The english name is just a cultural adaptation of sorts. It's not a literal punch.

Ok basically this thread is about what thing in the games or anime series which has bothered you in some way or been that little bit irritating.

Allow me to start with these two examples:

1) Why is it that Hitmonlee can learn Sucker Punch but not Hitmonchan? It's the punching pokemon and it's Kicking counterpart has a Punch which it can't have.

1) I think Gamefreak just decided to troll us there
2) Maybe it releases an artificial fist?
How can Doduo learn fly?
It probably runs really fast or something. Or maybe it just flies without wings, you know what I mean? Like Superman or something.
how can a pidgey fly you across a continent
It's a region, so it's probably smaller than a US state. But yeah I don't get how that works.
My theory. Wooper's tail morphs into a FIST when using Ice Punch. Best I think anyone can come up with.
Hey, that's pretty clever.

Edit:
Sucker Punch's name in japanese just translates to "Surprise Attack". The english name is just a cultural adaptation of sorts. It's not a literal punch.

Wow, I never thought of that.

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
Okay, Shinx can have the ability Intimidate, right? Well, if someone were to send out a Shinx with this ability against, say, Rayquaza, then Rayquaza, a mighty, powerful dragon, would end up being scared of a cute little lion cub.

How...?

Doomsdaytreecko

Out of battle:

"Go Rhy_____!"
"Use Sur...Wait what!"
"surfs on Rhy_____"

In Battle:

"Opponent used Surf on Rhy____"
"It's Super Effective!"

Conclusion: Rhyhorn family are strong... but incredibly stupid

Doomsdaytreecko

Okay, Shinx can have the ability Intimidate, right? Well, if someone were to send out a Shinx with this ability against, say, Rayquaza, then Rayquaza, a mighty, powerful dragon, would end up being scared of a cute little lion cub.

How...?

I guess this is a "don't judge a book by it's cover" scenario. Perhaps they have a phobia of big cats... who knows

How...?
Well it's just a name. It was probably the best the could come up with to describe the ability.
Out of battle:

"Go Rhy_____!"
"Use Sur...Wait what!"
"surfs on Rhy_____"

In Battle:

"Opponent used Surf on Rhy____"
"It's Super Effective!"

Conclusion: Rhyhorn family are strong... but incredibly stupid

A Rhydon can surf. Simple as that. It's not like the water attacks them while they're swimming. And don't post multiple times in a row, that's against the rules.

Doomsdaytreecko

Well it's just a name. It was probably the best the could come up with to describe the ability.

A Rhydon can surf. Simple as that. It's not like the water attacks them while they're swimming. And don't post multiple times in a row, that's against the rules.

If in an anime situation, a surfing pokemon could be attacked by pokemon below the water's surface

Kim62

Hello
Doduo jumps.

Any ways, why do Seaking spawn in the fall but Goldeen spwan in the spring?

How come Umbreon and Togepi are poisoness? How come it seems like nearly every Pokemon is poisoness?

Why can't you climb back up ledges?

How come there are cylinders everywhere in the water and you can't go between trees?

Why are mach bikes faster then acro bikes and why can't you do wheelies on mach bikes? Why does changing the gears on a bike make it faster or slower?

Why are there elevated rails randomly placed everywhere? Why can some of them you can only walk across, while on others you need a bike (specifically a acro bike)?

Why it when you leave a location everything turns back to normal whether that it was cutting down grass or crushing rocks?

Why does a super potion and fresh water heal the same amount of damage but yet fresh water is cheaper?

If in an anime situation, a surfing pokemon could be attacked by pokemon below the water's surface
Yes, it gets attacked by Water Pokémon; but that doesn't make it unable to swim. That's just like saying the Swimmer class trainers can't swim because they can get attacked by underwater Pokémon.
Why can't Scyther fly again? it does in the anime yet can't learn the move
The anime made a mistake or something. The anime always makes mistakes.
Doduo jumps.
Interesting theory.
Goldeen are born in spring and evolve into Seaking in fall.
How come Umbreon and Togepi are poisoness? How come it seems like nearly every Pokemon is poisoness?
I don't know
Well they're higher than you think but the game needs to save that tilespace for other stuff
How come there are cylinders everywhere in the water and you can't go between trees?
I don't remember cylinders in water. Was that in the GBA games? And you can't go between trees because that would defeat the purpose of setting up trees as obstacles.
Why are mach bikes faster then acro bikes and why can't you do wheelies on mach bikes? Why does changing the gears on a bike make it faster or slower?
Mach bikes are more mach than Acro Bikes. Acro Bikes are more acro than Mach Bikes and so Mach Bikes lack the acro to do wheelies. Irl, changing gears DOES affect the bike speed.
Why are there elevated rails randomly placed everywhere? Why can some of them you can only walk across, while on others you need a bike (specifically a acro bike)?
I don't play 3rd gen
Why it when you leave a location everything turns back to normal whether that it was cutting down grass or crushing rocks?
Someone follows you and places objects on the field when you leave the location
Why does a super potion and fresh water heal the same amount of damage but yet fresh water is cheaper?
Because Super Potions are easier to find, so the Pokémart geniuses make you pay more for it.

Answers in bold red.

Doomsdaytreecko

Doduo jumps.

Wild Goldeen may have a population increase in spring and evolve in autumn/fall

I'm assuming you're relating to the move Toxic? Who knows? might be something they ate.

Too steep.

Water pollution, poor waste disposals and tight gaps between trees

The gear changes may be related to the constant speed at which the trainer is pedalling at. changing the gear on the bike will change if you keep the average pedal cycle the same. i don't know completely, just a hypothesis.

the rails confused me aswell.

I want to say Miracle Gro but...

Cheaper to obtain as it's water

Doomsdaytreecko

This is like saying "Why do we need Pokéballs to capture Pokémon? Why can't we just use traps like nets?". Maybe the machine alters their mind or something.

Pokéballs in my opinion are for portable convenience. draggin six pokemon around in a net would not be useful. imagine lugging the groudon around. that'd be a one way trip to a physio... but you'd never get there coz you'd want to take you groudon with you