• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Why do we need a machine to trade pokemon? can't we just hand the pokemon over to the other person?

I'm guessing trade machines alter programming in the Poké Ball somehow to prevent thieves stating that they got their stolen Pokémon in trades.

And in regards to Pidgey/Pidove learning Fly, a better question would be, why does Yanmega NOT learn Fly? In its HG/SS dex entry, Yanmega is confirmed to be able to support an adult human in flight. The main characters of these games are at worst young teenagers. Who generally weigh less than adult humans. Thus making it even easier to be carried by a Yanmega. In the air.

A few other things to consider:

Torchic's ability to learn Mega Punch, DynamicPunch, and Seismic Toss.

Ferroseed's animation shows it spinning rapidly. Guess which move it can't learn? Yep- Rapid Spin.

Look at Zangoose. Look at them claws. It learns Scratch, Fury Swipes, Slash, Crush Claw, Shadow Claw, and Aerial Ace. Now try to teach it Cut. Yep. Zangoose can't learn Cut.

On the subject of Pokémon that can't learn Cut: Maractus. Do you see the sharp needles all over its body? How can that NOT cut anything?

Most Fire-types can't learn Flash. And yet they can generate fire, a source of light. This is particularly insane when you consider Charmander can't learn Flash, and it's seen use in the anime for things we'd use Flash for in-game!

Four words: Blitzle. Zebstrika. Flame Charge.

What, would you say, is the most basic requirement for learning Headbutt? That's right- a head. Farfetch'd has a head. Farfetch'd can learn Headbutt. Now let's look at Pidgey, a similarly-built Pokémon. Pidgey has a head. And yet, Pidgey can't learn Headbutt!

Pin Missile and Spike Cannon are, for all intents and purposes, the same move. So why is it that any Pokémon that learns one can't learn the other?

Ground moves can't affect Flying-types. OK, Tornadus avoiding Earthquake, that I can understand. But when you consider that this grants Gyarados an immunity to Bone Club...

In Orre, it is possible to massage Pokémon. Any Pokémon. Including Slugma and Magcargo.

ChedWick

Ash ketchum is still 10 years old and constantly forgets what electric attacks do and don't affect.

Doomsdaytreecko

That list was amazing. so many things to consider.

All gens

If the trading machine is nessicary to prove that pokemon were not stolen, why was it that, in gen 4, you could throw your pokeballs into the air and swap the pokemon?

Gen 2

Why do i lose a significant amount of money from my mother "buying" berries? I think she's spending my money at the game corner

Gen 3
Secret bases:

How did i fit a slide in a hedge? how did it get in my laptop?

When i use secret power on a tree to climb the tree, why is there cracks in the which i can't cross? is the tree unsuitable for a treehouse?

Using planks of wood to cover said cracks in floor which only just cover the crack. One false move and you could fall.

Doomsdaytreecko

what makes it worse is when, i think it was gen 1, when a ground type was actually effected by pikachu's electric moves.

Nintendo confirmed that they are aware of the age reset. They reset it so the new audience would have an age appropriate character as the protagonist. in 20 years time, if it's still running, i doubt kids are going to want to watch a man run around in his mid 30's looking for pokémon as he still tries to fufill his goal to be a pokémon master. all abit crazy really

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
How can large-ish Pokemon such as Scyther, Tauros or Onix hatch from teeny-tiny Eggs? Let-alone, how the heck can the Player carry baby Onix eggs for example without shattering his/her spine?

Earthia100

In the anime, Dento taught his Stunfisk to fly.

Stunfisk can't learn fly or bounce!

Either Dento's just crazy talented or the writers don't know that Electric Fish don't fly.

Skydra

Why do we need a machine to trade pokemon? can't we just hand the pokemon over to the other person?

It's probably a loyalty issue; well, that's the reason I expect they'd justify it if the question came up in a canon. Or imprinting, or something.

Chimecho3000

Pin Missile and Spike Cannon are, for all intents and purposes, the same move. So why is it that any Pokémon that learns one can't learn the other?

That reminds me, move types can be a bit wierd. Like why can Pin Missile hit a Ghost Pokemon but not Spike Cannon? Why does for example a Hitmonchan's Mega Punch would barely leave a scratch on an Aggron, but his Mach Punch would leave quite a dent?

Last edited:

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Why do i lose a significant amount of money from my mother "buying" berries? I think she's spending my money at the game corner
To be fair, we don't know how much she's being charged for the berries.

In the anime, Dento taught his Stunfisk to fly.

Stunfisk can't learn fly or bounce!

Actually, it can learn Bounce.

Wolf Prince

Lycan Seraph
How can we fly on a little pidgie?
how can you capture such a Big pokemon like snorlax or RAyquaza in such a small pokeball?
why is ash from anime so stupid?

battle171

New Gen, Go!
Where does the meat in the Pokemon world come from? Or where on (Pokemon) earth is the player's dad in the non-hoenn games?

Bunface

Jewel Runner
"A wild Joltik appeared!"
"Go, Rhyperior!" *GRAAARGH, a level 100 Rhyperior appears*
"Rhyperior is too nervous to use its berry!"

...what? Unnerve has NOT been thought through.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
i doubt kids are going to want to watch a man run around in his mid 30's looking for pokémon as he still tries to fufill his goal to be a pokémon master. all abit crazy really

Hell, I would pay too see that.

When Kangaskhan hatches out of an egg, it already has a baby Kangaskhan in it's pouch. Mind=Blown.