• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Kyro13

Banned
Why do some pokemon need to level up to learn how to bite? (Though I'm sure it's been asked before)

Why do some pokemon need to level up to learn how to bite? (Though I'm sure it's been asked before)

Well, you can bite food, but can you bite in combat? It doesn't make sense why Ponyta goes from being a Pokemon to a horse and back in the same episode. And why can't all Electric and Fire types learn Flash?

Bite is a Dark type move, and inflicts Dark type damage. Maybe the Pokémon needs enough experience before it can use Dark as an element in its bite?

:: Being able to stuff your Bicycle inside your bag, and a lot of other stuff. The bag is obviously a hammerspace.
There's a theory that the Trainer keeps their stuff in a/their Pokéball(s).

Alli

Bite is a Dark type move, and inflicts Dark type damage. Maybe the Pokémon needs enough experience before it can use Dark as an element in its bite?

Actually it is a Dark type move, because biting someone in a fight is considered dirty fighting. That's it. There is no Dark element.

iAm_Michael

Mike Is Da Best!
Why can you fly across the continent, when you can't even climb a ledge, or let alone just have something fly you on top of the ledge to get a particular item.

Instead you have to go all the way around a different route to get there, just to take a 3 foot drop down.

Why can you fly across the continent, when you can't even climb a ledge, or let alone just have something fly you on top of the ledge to get a particular item.

Instead you have to go all the way around a different route to get there, just to take a 3 foot drop down.

Your Pokemon don't feel like haulin' you that insignificant a distance, I guess.

Why don't field moves cost PP?

Ver-mont

:: Being able to stuff your Bicycle inside your bag, and a lot of other stuff. The bag is obviously a hammerspace.

I always thought you keep things in item capsules inside of your Bag, the same way you find them scattered throughout the region.

What I want to know are what are the evolutionary benefits of being a mime.
View attachment 7473

I mean, seriously.

Psychic powers, magical barriers.

Unredemption

Your Pokemon don't feel like haulin' you that insignificant a distance, I guess.

Why don't field moves cost PP?

Then why can't huge Pokemon like Onix and Steelix be used as "ramps" to overcome ledges? This was depicted several times in the anime and manga, though. Unless the ledges are truly disproportionate in size to their overworld depiction.

For field moves, perhaps using moves battle requires a special sort of physiological power (represented by PP) to use it as an attack? Whereas using them in the field is second nature, like Wailord using Surf.

Realistically speaking, field moves using PP would mean possible scenarios of getting stuck in-game, like on the plot of land outside Vermillion Gym (0 PP for Cut) or on the Abandoned Ship (0 PP for Surf).

destinydude000

The Awesome Dude
Never understood this in the anime, but I'll take a shot at it.

Two high-leveled Pokemon attack each other using Flaemthrower / Dragon Rage / Insert Special Attack Here, and an explosion is caused. Once the smoke clears, there is extremely little to no damage from the explosion itself, and both Pokemon are still intact and exactly where or a few feet back from where they previously stood. The shock wave from the explosion is at least enough to topple both Pokemon and portions of a field, if not, the bleachers. The scorching of the field would be evident too due to the high amounts of heat from said explosion. Not to mention Pokemon that are weak to Fire-Type attacks that happen to get caught in this same blast would be incinerated, in fact, any Pokemon that doesn't pack a resistance to high amounts of pressure or heat, and happened to have bare flesh should be dead, as both the pressure and heat would vaporize their skin.

On another note, how many more times do Team Rocket have to fall from near-atmospheric levels until they're unable to get back up, and why don't they go for a much rarer / stronger Pokemon than Pikachu?

the same way they can cause such powerful explosions, they can survive it.
the team rocket part is just some kind of joke for small kids. the same way that ash is still 10, team rocket won't die with falling off the sky!!!
I read somewhere that ash's pikachu was born from a special mother pikachu, maybe just a story, or probably it's TRUE!!!

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
Something that I never understood was why they did not make Nidoran a single Pokemon with a branch evolution when they introduced gender into Pokemon? It's simple really, If Nidoran is female it would look like the Nidoran and look blueish, then evolve into Nidorina and Nidoqueen respectively. And the same would apply to Nidoran, it would look magenta and evolve into Nidorino and Nidoking respectively.

One could argue that, why would they take away a Pokemon? But in that sense they should not have changed Magnemite and Magneton to part Steel then.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
I always thought you keep things in item capsules inside of your Bag, the same way you find them scattered throughout the region.

But then how do you know what item is in which capsule? Later on in the game when you've got upwards of thousands of items in multiple sections of your bags, how can you differentiate?

Same goes for Pokemon, really... if all your Pokemon are in the same type of Pokeballs, how do you know which member of your team you're sending out when you have six identical Pokeballs in front of you? Or as a trainer do you just... "know"?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
But then how do you know what item is in which capsule? Later on in the game when you've got upwards of thousands of items in multiple sections of your bags, how can you differentiate?

Same goes for Pokemon, really... if all your Pokemon are in the same type of Pokeballs, how do you know which member of your team you're sending out when you have six identical Pokeballs in front of you? Or as a trainer do you just... "know"?

You can tell the difference by affixing your Pokeball with an arcane construct known as a "label," which can only be created through the use of a sacred wand of ink on a strip of treeskin, which is then bound to the Pokeball using an enchanted adhesive.

Yikes, I think I overloaded my own sarcasm circuits with that one...

Last edited:

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Something that I never understood was why they did not make Nidoran a single Pokemon with a branch evolution when they introduced gender into Pokemon? It's simple really, If Nidoran is female it would look like the Nidoran and look blueish, then evolve into Nidorina and Nidoqueen respectively. And the same would apply to Nidoran, it would look magenta and evolve into Nidorino and Nidoking respectively.

One could argue that, why would they take away a Pokemon? But in that sense they should not have changed Magnemite and Magneton to part Steel then.

Different move sets for them and their evolutions.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo