• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Mew The Gato

You absolutely must consider the source as well as it's place in the game. How it was placed has as much a bearing as what it's like itself. That said, it doesn't prove anything, it just makes it slightly more likely. To make this clear, I'm not calling Arceus a God, I'm saying it's very likely that it's true.

The plates are an allusion to an "all powerful" nature. Ghetsis didn't exactly have a track record of being correct, did he? And even if what he said is true, it doesn't mean that a Pokémon can't be a god. Arceus is a really likely candidate because he is still revered as a god while others, like Bronzong and Volcorona, aren't seen as having mythical importance any more.

Like I said, the myth can be true with or without punching moves. We see too many Pokémon without arms using punching moves for this argument to make any sense anyway, but that's without even considering that the arms could have been a vestige of the creation of the universe.

Strength has no bearing on godhood.

Arceus is not very, ah, dominant in myths. Only a few myths have it. You would think more people would revere it. By your logic, one of the Creation Trio is a better candidate. Uh, no. How does it even relate to omnipotence? A lot of Pokemon can change Types. Keckleon, Staryu, Latias and Mew, for example, can change Types in battle. Arceus cannot. So, they are omnipotent, I suppose?

It is the inversion, my friend. They can use heads. But Arceus can use absolutely no punching moves despite all his arms? Their is absolutely NOTHING to support the claim that he has those arms. How does anyone even know that it IS the "Original One"?

I know; I was just countering that person's argument of Arceus being considered the strongest Pokemon. And did you not imply Arceus' "omnipotence" makes it a God? ._.

Creating a world does not make someone a God or even as strong as one. Nor being the first to exist in an universe, as in Greek Mythology, for example, a lot of other beings came before the Gods. If Pokedex Entries are true, Mew should come before Arceus, as it is said to be the ancestor, while Arceus is only said to have created the world. Mew is still not called a God. There are many reasons. Similarly, Arceus cannot be called a God, either. If anything, Mew is more likely, and I am still NOT calling Mew a God. Because it falls short of being one.

Last edited:

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Arceus is not very, ah, dominant in myths. Only a few myths have it. You would think more people would revere it. By your logic, one of the Creation Trio is a better candidate. Uh, no. How does it even relate to omnipotence? A lot of Pokemon can change Types. Keckleon, Staryu, Latias and Mew, for example, can change Types in battle. Arceus cannot. So, they are omnipotent, I suppose?
Using it's specific plates, it can change type whenever it feels like it, TO what ever it feels like. It's every type at once. The only reason why it can't is game balance and diversity of movesets. I know the anime is sometimes not the best representation...

But once arcues has all of it's plates, it's freaken invincible. The only reason it wasn't was because they could hit him without it changing it's type to resist or be immune to said type. (And he STILL was OP as frack.)

Now just imagine what priority type changes (be it single or double typing) would do to the metagame. It'd be broken as shiz.

It's MUCH different then any of those type changes.

Also, what does being a god mean? :/...the greeks sure had a different idea of what it meant. They aren't everywhere always and can do anything.

Mew The Gato

Using it's specific plates, it can change type whenever it feels like it, TO what ever it feels like. It's every type at once. The only reason why it can't is game balance and diversity of movesets. I know the anime is sometimes not the best representation...

But once arcues has all of it's plates, it's freaken invincible. The only reason it wasn't was because they could hit him without it changing it's type to resist or be immune to said type. (And he STILL was OP as frack.)

Now just imagine what priority type changes (be it single or double typing) would do to the metagame. It'd be broken as shiz.

It's MUCH different then any of those type changes.

Also, what does being a god mean? :/...the greeks sure had a different idea of what it meant. They aren't everywhere always and can do anything.

Using its powers, Mew and Ditto can transform into whatever they want to. Even Arceus. If you consider the anime, the "Base Hp" factor shall not count. Two Ditto shall defeat Arceus easily. It is not invincible at all. Now, with Dual Typed Moves, that would not even let Arceus resist everything or be immune to it.

Arceus is far from invincible if Pikachu's Thunderbolt can hurt him. He actually flinched and got hurt. Unlike most other Legendaries. That would make Arceus weaker than them, without his plates.

You cannot use anime and games as a single set in an argument. Anime = / = Games.

No religion is everywhere and can do everything...

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Well, if we can't define what a certain thing actually is, then you have to ask yourself whether or not we should be saying that various entities and/or objects are that thing. :p

Fijarebirth

Something that doesn't make sense to me as a Trainer...breeding hundreds of eggs just to pick one winner and throwing the rest away, aka "releasing" them! I have given up so many babies ;3;

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Hm I don't understand how steel now no longer resist dark and ghost, not in a meta sense, just a sense that you get the idea that one day steel just randomly stopped resisting those types for seemingly no real explanation.

I was actually wondering about that the other day. Like, was does "reclassified" actually mean? What does the reclassification process involve? Why could my Hydreigon hit my neighbor's Gardevoir with Draco Meteor yesterday, but today, it isn't even doing damage?

Something that doesn't make sense to me as a Trainer...breeding hundreds of eggs just to pick one winner and throwing the rest away, aka "releasing" them! I have given up so many babies ;3;

Video Game Cruelty Potential.

Last edited:

Cablez

swaggot
My Skiddo and Panpour just laid an egg... even though they guy at the day-care said "they prefer to play with other Pokémon"

Squeaky101

Nobody suspects me
Can we move on the the actual topic to be discussed in this thread?

In the Pokemon Black's pokedex entry for Gigalith, it says that it can "blow away a mountain". Imagine being hit by such an attack...

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Cablez...
Consider someday, they were playing with other pokemons! A lot of parties, late at night, pokebeer. Then, your Skiddo and Panpour just thought they could be friends and there is your baby! It's nothing but an accident. Gotcha? There's always some explanation!
But seriously... What happened? A glitch, perhaps? I've never heard of such a thing.
But well, this is more of a in-game problem than a nonsense mistake committed by GF... Although it's still mistake committed by GF.

In the Pokemon Black's pokedex entry for Gigalith, it says that it can "blow away a mountain". Imagine being hit by such an attack...

And Larvitars can eat mountains. Now, consider a bite of this thing!

Last edited:

Griever789

Well now we can just give them up for adoption on wonder trade. I'm sure someone will take your substandard torchic.

Hm it more fringe horror but x's entry on absol says he only appears to warn humans when an impending disaster is comming , so that means when you enconter one he's try to warn you about, well in x he apppears near a coast so it could be a tsunami or hurcanine.

PokemonJesus123

The Pokémon Punk
Why do the main players in the games whited/black out if they lose?
Can't they just learn from defeat? LOL

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Why do the main players in the games whited/black out if they lose?
Can't they just learn from defeat? LOL
It's not a matter of defeat. If they're on the wild it can be well understand, as you CAN'T fight pokemon with your own hands and I'm sure anyone here would "black out" if they were facing a Charizard or something big... Dangerous in general.
However, to "black out" against a trainer doesn't really make sense, I agree. Couldn't he just run to a PokéCenter?

Mew The Gato

This is why the Pokedex is not to be taken at face value. So many entries which do not make sense in-universe.

And Larvitars can eat mountains. Now, consider a bite of this thing!

They cannot. The Pokedex is inaccurate. The entries are not to be taken at face value.

Griever789

Hm sure the pokedex is innaccurate at times but honestly it's not like their's any other sources of information about these pokemon out their that gives detailed information, though I do wish such a thing existed cannonically and not just fan projects like the pokedex at tvtropes.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Hm sure the pokedex is innaccurate at times but honestly it's not like their's any other sources of information about these pokemon out their that gives detailed information, though I do wish such a thing existed cannonically and not just fan projects like the pokedex at tvtropes.

The Pokédex shouldn't be trusted at all unless it's a blatantly obvious fact.

Pokemon height and weight. Did you know Charizard is only 5' 7" and weighs less than 200 lbs, according to the Pokedex?

Lucario is only 3' 11"!

Despite Wailord's size, he weighs less than 800 lbs. That's pathetic.

Wailord should float according to it's mass.

Hence why it's called the Float Whale.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Without the pokedex we know abloutely nothing about the pokemon besides what it can do in a fight.

Exactly.

We don't know anything about them other than what their Battle Abilities are and other Abilities stated through factual information.

And, it's exactly the same with or without Pokédex, I mean, it seems nigh-impossible for it all to be true, and it seems unlikely and unprofessional for it to solely be half-filled with fact.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I think pokedex entries can be trusted sometimes. Sure, there's some biased entries which we cannot trust by any means and I guess they're there for some fun. But not all of them...

AWildMew said:
They cannot. The Pokedex is inaccurate. The entries are not to be taken at face value.

You know I was kidding, right?

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Exactly.

We don't know anything about them other than what their Battle Abilities are and other Abilities stated through factual information.

And, it's exactly the same with or without Pokédex, I mean, it seems nigh-impossible for it all to be true, and it seems unlikely and unprofessional for it to solely be half-filled with fact.

Gamefreak is a mastermind.

All these different interpretations on what pokemon are capable of lets headcanon fanfics flourish. They're doing this on purpose tell you!