• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
My question is how N is able to to Pokemon ...?

Assuming that you meant to say "talk," N simply appears to have natural empathic abilities - he doesn't speak with Pokémon so much as he does communicate with them via a unique form of telepathy. His abilities seem to be especially remarkable considering that the Pokémon world contains natural psychics and yet, his abilities are thought to be extraordinary.

There is some implication that growing up in the wild with Pokémon, isolated from humans, fostered his abilities to a degree and allowed them to develop.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
Ash is bad? He sure is!

Oh I agree: he's as slow and unaware as Quagsire with an Iron Ball. But what I'm also saying is Red isn't the "uber trainer" many are making him out to be, as especially shown in this scenario. He's just as capable of making epic failures as much as the mainstream guy is. I would say that the only aspect he is better at is that he actually catches Pokémon, especially legendaries.

Mega-Absol

Elite Four No. 3
I've never understood the in-game teleporters used for puzzles.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
I never understood Pokerus. Nurse Joy tells it's a virus, and that can scare you, especially kids. While, it only does good. How can a virus only do good? I would have preferred if it also gave a disadvantage. While it would double your EVs, it would slightly lower your Exp for example, until it would become uncontagious.
I mean, why in the world would you want your pokémon to be sick?

Mew The Gato

I never understood Pokerus. Nurse Joy tells it's a virus, and that can scare you, especially kids. While, it only does good. How can a virus only do good? I would have preferred if it also gave a disadvantage. While it would double your EVs, it would slightly lower your Exp for example, until it would become uncontagious.
I mean, why in the world would you want your pokémon to be sick?

Not all viruses are harmful. Even in real life, some can actually be beneficial. Perhaps the side effect to Pokerus is too insignificant to notice? We are not exposed to much of the monster raising aspects of Pokemon, so I do not see why this is not possible.

Artnerd

Insane Artist
Not all viruses are harmful. Even in real life, some can actually be beneficial. Perhaps the side effect to Pokerus is too insignificant to notice? We are not exposed to much of the monster raising aspects of Pokemon, so I do not see why this is not possible.
I didn't know there are beneficial viruses... I don't think Pokerus ever came up in the anime either.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I didn't know there are beneficial viruses... I don't think Pokerus ever came up in the anime either.

It was actually in Pokémon Chronicles when Butch and Cassidy took Professor Oak hostage to ask where hey could locate it.

It's been over 10 years. I believe in humanity over country, and the country I live in (U.S.) has responded with equal if not greater force upon the Middle East and the people that live there. Do I consider the event a tragic one? Of course! Do I feel violence is justified by more violence? Not a bit. Clearly leaders on both sides of the Atlantic consider human lives a joke. I find the extremes people will go to to defeat their self-proclaimed "foes" amusing, but not the deaths themselves. I respect your opinion and apologize for offending you.

Oh trust me I do not feel too good about what we're doing in the Middle East. Not trying to bring in politics, but I never agreed with Bush's choice to send troops over there, and it obviously isn't helped by the fact that we still haven't pulled all of our troops out yet. It's just that some things are hard to let go of. Look at the assassination of JFK, it has been 5 decades now and people still have their conspiracy theories.

Mew The Gato

They were placed there in order to allow only members of the respective organizations to traverse through the headquarters, in case someone somehow manages to intrude. They, of course, did not do a very good job at it.

Griever789

They were placed there in order to allow only members of the respective organizations to traverse through the headquarters, in case someone somehow manages to intrude. They, of course, did not do a very good job at it.

What is that avatar you currently have, is it a new pokemon leaked or something?

On topic, Why don't they train psychic pokemon to understand human language (psychics pokemon in particular for their telepathy).

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Oh I agree: he's as slow and unaware as Quagsire with an Iron Ball. But what I'm also saying is Red isn't the "uber trainer" many are making him out to be, as especially shown in this scenario. He's just as capable of making epic failures as much as the mainstream guy is. I would say that the only aspect he is better at is that he actually catches Pokémon, especially legendaries.

That's because Ash is too mainstream and Red is too cool to be criticised. It's exactly the same thing when people hate poor Pikachu for no reasons.

What is that avatar you currently have, is it a new pokemon leaked or something?

Isn't him from Pokéstar Studios?

Last edited:

Griever789

Hm on the the rhyhorn beating a jolteon with a thunderbolt, well do remember the trainer Red was fighting was Giovonni, the leader of team rocket, what if that rhyhorn was a participatent in some experiment that greatly increases it sp-atk, or using some sort of device to increase it thunderbolt attack to rediclous levels. Being a crime boss does suggest he does not play fair.

Mew The Gato

On topic, Why don't they train psychic pokemon to understand human language (psychics pokemon in particular for their telepathy).

It is the Golem from the Ghost Eraser 3 Movie in Pokestar Studios.

They probably do understand human speech, which is how they take orders from the trainer, unless the quality is somehow inherent and based on instinct to certain sounds. But Psychic powers, while associated with telepathy, does not ensure it.

Griever789

It is the Golem from the Ghost Eraser 3 Movie in Pokestar Studios.

They probably do understand human speech, which is how they take orders from the trainer, unless the quality is somehow inherent and based on instinct to certain sounds. But Psychic powers, while associated with telepathy, does not ensure it.

Okay I phrased that question horribly, What I meant to ask is why aren't psychic pokemon used as pokemon to human translators. A lot of mysteries of pokemon could be solved by just asking the pokemon directly.

fitzy909

Just another guy
Okay I phrased that question horribly, What I meant to ask is why aren't psychic pokemon used as pokemon to human translators. A lot of mysteries of pokemon could be solved by just asking the pokemon directly.

that is a good question. it would make sense because it seems so simple. i can't really think of a good reason as to why not.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Hm on the the rhyhorn beating a jolteon with a thunderbolt, well do remember the trainer Red was fighting was Giovonni, the leader of team rocket, what if that rhyhorn was a participatent in some experiment that greatly increases it sp-atk, or using some sort of device to increase it thunderbolt attack to rediclous levels. Being a crime boss does suggest he does not play fair.

I do remember an episode like this. But was that shown in that special episode where Rhyhorn beats a Jolteon with Thunderbolt? Nah. And, dear, it's still quite nonsense, right? <3

Griever789

I do remember an episode like this. But was that shown in that special episode where Rhyhorn beats a Jolteon with Thunderbolt? Nah. And, dear, it's still quite nonsense, right? <3

Though to retort the fact this was not clearly stated, well this special was condensing what would normally be a whole season of content into five episodes. Not really a lot of time to forshadow much.

foxstory

I'd like to ask what it even means that Alakazam has IQ 5,000. The Intelligence Quotient is derived from dividing two ages. For instance, a 10-year-old with the mental acuity of the average 12-year-old has an IQ of 120. So apparently Alakazam, at, let's say, 8 years old (who knows anything about pokemon lifespan, anyway) would have the ability of a 400 year old elder/sage/something. Perhaps they just think 50 times as quickly as humans, so that they've accumulated the thoughts of many more years of life in a shorter time. This was on, I think, the trading cards from Kanto/gen 1 issued by some fast food restaurant years ago, and possibly a pokedex.

When a pokemon hatches from an Egg, within the games, it shows up in your party as being contained in a pokeball. How does this work if you have no pokeballs on hand when the Egg hatches? Perhaps, if your Egg hatched in a remote area and you had no spare pokeballs, then one of your pokemon would have to accompany you by walking. 5 pokemon in 5 pokeballs, plus an Egg, would be 6 pokemon with 5 pokeballs after hatching.

I'm amused by the "would you like to exit where you entered the underground?" in Sinnoh, with an instant return to the surface of some other place that could be very far away. Somehow, time and distance are grossly distorted in that you cover ground much, much more quickly when under Sinnoh than on top of Sinnoh.

How does Eggscute lay an Egg? How does Eggscute hatch from an Egg? What if the five or six mini-eggs of the body of Eggscute somehow get separated from each other? It seems like they have faces on each mini-egg, and I'd be curious to see how this pokemon eats food in pokemon amie.

Griever789

When a pokemon hatches from an Egg, within the games, it shows up in your party as being contained in a pokeball. How does this work if you have no pokeballs on hand when the Egg hatches? Perhaps, if your Egg hatched in a remote area and you had no spare pokeballs, then one of your pokemon would have to accompany you by walking. 5 pokemon in 5 pokeballs, plus an Egg, would be 6 pokemon with 5 pokeballs after hatching.

Well the easiest answer is the daycare owners give you a free pokeball to put the hatched pokemon in, though this question got a little more controvolted with kalos machanic of the kind of pokeball the parent are in being somewhat genitic. I don't know if a masterball is a pokeball that can "pass" down and I am unsure if this been tested since most thing worth catching in a masterball can't breed, but if they are the question of where the baby's masterball came from.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
Though to retort the fact this was not clearly stated, well this special was condensing what would normally be a whole season of content into five episodes. Not really a lot of time to forshadow much.

On the other hand, the show is also based on the games, in which Team Rocket acted more like a mafia rather than Brain's-research-and-take-over-the-world team. That is why they went after Silph Corporation, which is the research and development corporation of Kanto. In this verse, for further example, Team Rocket didn't even have a clear connection to the creation of Mewtwo, which is the premier example of genetic engineering and augmentation.

EDIT: About the post of Psychic-type interpreters, aside Mewtwo and other special Pokémon, very few are actually seen to be capable of talking. I think it's more of a case of Plot Ability than Telepathy, as Zorua clearly doesn't have such an attack or ability, nor does the dex say it can do so. In addition, it appears to lose this ability to talk when it evolves, as the Zoroark in said movie is not talking human speech anymore.

In fact I'm more surprised with the fact that Pokémon understand each other. That's like 700 different languages all crammed up inside Pikachu's small brain. People have a hard time with 3 or 4 already.

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
On the other hand, the show is also based on the games, in which Team Rocket acted more like a mafia rather than Brain's-research-and-take-over-the-world team. That is why they went after Silph Corporation, which is the research and development corporation of Kanto. In this verse, for further example, Team Rocket didn't even have a clear connection to the creation of Mewtwo, which is the premier example of genetic engineering and augmentation.

EDIT: About the post of Psychic-type interpreters, aside Mewtwo and other special Pokémon, very few are actually seen to be capable of talking. I think it's more of a case of Plot Ability than Telepathy, as Zorua clearly doesn't have such an attack or ability, nor does the dex say it can do so. In addition, it appears to lose this ability to talk when it evolves, as the Zoroark in said movie is not talking human speech anymore.

In fact I'm more surprised with the fact that Pokémon understand each other. That's like 700 different languages all crammed up inside Pikachu's small brain. People have a hard time with 3 or 4 already.

Well, about the Zorua thing, according to the Games, it's the other way around, as a Zoroark that transformed into a backpacker in B2W2 was shown to be capable of speech when under the illusion, while Zorua's illusion was completely silent.

Perhaps it's not different languages so much as different dialects?
And that we perceive them as different because our hearingnis underdeveloped, while for Pokémon they can make them out?