• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Armored Mewtwo

Unrepentant Pokefan
Why are all current fossil Pokemon rock types?

Do only rock types fossilize into forms that are subject to the machines? OR is the process, either the fossilizing or the reanimation, causing an abnormality which induces rock characteristics?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Not sure if either of these were brought up but, here's my two cents:

1) I remember in generation 1, Lickitung doesn't learn lick! Infuriating, no? Utter madness.

2) I still keep end up catching female Mr. Mime. Nuff said. Lol, i just nickname them Mrs. Mime instead.

1 Because Lick is a Ghost Type Move, same deal as to why Ampharos or Lanturn don't learn Flash without the TM.

2 It's called Barrierd, it's a translation derp.

Why are all current fossil Pokemon rock types?

Do only rock types fossilize into forms that are subject to the machines? OR is the process, either the fossilizing or the reanimation, causing an abnormality which induces rock characteristics?

Perhaps they already were Rock types, and that djue to the hardness or rock-like physics of their bones and body parts, they were able to be preserved?

emawerna

That's what gives him eternal life. He's really a mutant, a human battery, and can absorb electricity in order to extend his life span an amount f seconds equal to the volts absorbed.

That's my explanation anyway, and I have to say it's about as reasonable an explanation as you could come up with for eternal life, supposing realistic standards.

Every human in the pokemon world is aging at the same speed as Ash. I would cite Brock as a prime example. He has joined and rejoined the crew a few times and he isn't a 25 year old man yet. Jessie and James also don't appear to be aging more quickly than Ash, though it would be harder to tell. They've been following him since the beginning.

If we take the video games as correctly representing the pokemon living in Ash's world, Ash cannot possibly be in a coma. If he were, there is no way for him to correctly guess time after time the appearance and characteristics of pokemon non-native to Kanto that he has never seen before. The alternative is that all the video games also are a product of Ash's mind while he is in a coma in the same manner that the Red King in "Through the Looking Glass" has created Wonderland in his own dream at least according to Tweedledum and Tweedledee. That's just to scary to contemplate.

So, what do we do? Well, there are probably too many days and nights directly represented in the series to argue that we should compress the entire series into a year or two. This eliminates the possibility of a reverse "Narnia" situation where our world is simply experiencing more time than the pokemon world. So, we look at our other unspoken presumptions.

Ash does not have to have eternal life. He just has to age much more slowly such that he is always the EQUIVALENT of a ten year old human in the non-pokemon world (i.e. here). This would explain why he could complete all of schooling by the "age" of ten. He was probably actually 50 to 60 of our years old at the beginning of the series. In a world where all adults are 100's of our years old, he is still treated as a juvenile.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
2) I still keep end up catching female Mr. Mime. Nuff said. Lol, i just nickname them Mrs. Mime instead.

There are animals that can be of either gender despite having gender-specific names. Daddy longlegs, for one.

Vizion

1.Why GF had to make Miltank's udders shake when it's preforming it's idle animation

yellownick15

The only toilets existing in the Pokemon World are on Lumiose's Hotel Richissime, and the only thing you will be pooping there are gold ingots if you hope to pay the bill.

How can a fruit shake raise a Pokemon's level? If it is bursting with energy like a Rare Candy then you could drop your water resistant cellphone in and have it full charged! Yay double functionality! You could even take some with you to the park, spill it on the floor, drop crumbs of bread over it and watch as Pidgey and Pidove get electrocuted on it! Food for days!

On the suject of food, couldn't you take a Miltank, chop one of its legs off, take it to the Pokemon Center and repeat the process? Maybe you can only do that with lizards, I'm sure Kecleon would be quite the delicacy...

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR
Why is Xerneas just a Fairy-Type? Why is it not part Grass, it would've balance the duo out.

Ash does not have to have eternal life. He just has to age much more slowly such that he is always the EQUIVALENT of a ten year old human in the non-pokemon world (i.e. here). This would explain why he could complete all of schooling by the "age" of ten. He was probably actually 50 to 60 of our years old at the beginning of the series. In a world where all adults are 100's of our years old, he is still treated as a juvenile.
Or, or, or maybe... they're all shock mutants and are simply shocked off-screen. Some characters, like prof. Oak, don't want to be immortal and resist being electrocuted, thus aging. Clearly this is the case.

The fact that the company has released no canon timeline or endorsed any single facet of the world as canon harms any attempt at explaining anything, because you can't go to the game, the manga, or the anime for an answer that isn't accepted as canon. Either everything or nothing is canon to the series, so it's hard to hypothesize anything with accuracy...

You seem to have mistaken "single entity" for "single contiguous entity."
And this is dumb. They're clearly two different... things. Kangaskhi, if you will. A parent and a child are interdependent but are separate entities, in any case. Since it's a gen 1 thing, it probably shares a similar justification to Magneton or Dugtrio, being two of the same species combing into one.

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

Every human in the pokemon world is aging at the same speed as Ash. I would cite Brock as a prime example. He has joined and rejoined the crew a few times and he isn't a 25 year old man yet. Jessie and James also don't appear to be aging more quickly than Ash, though it would be harder to tell. They've been following him since the beginning.

If we take the video games as correctly representing the pokemon living in Ash's world, Ash cannot possibly be in a coma. If he were, there is no way for him to correctly guess time after time the appearance and characteristics of pokemon non-native to Kanto that he has never seen before. The alternative is that all the video games also are a product of Ash's mind while he is in a coma in the same manner that the Red King in "Through the Looking Glass" has created Wonderland in his own dream at least according to Tweedledum and Tweedledee. That's just to scary to contemplate.

So, what do we do? Well, there are probably too many days and nights directly represented in the series to argue that we should compress the entire series into a year or two. This eliminates the possibility of a reverse "Narnia" situation where our world is simply experiencing more time than the pokemon world. So, we look at our other unspoken presumptions.

Hm... another way he could be really old, and still be marked a ten year old is through a set system. Their "age" is not determined by the true aging process, but their status. For example, when a trainer sets out on his journey, he is considered a ten year old, and when he becomes a parent, he is considered an adult. This also means that a really old person could remain a ten year old if he does not age.

And we know that some people always have the appearance of a child.

SeliphFroakie

The only toilets existing in the Pokemon World are on Lumiose's Hotel Richissime, and the only thing you will be pooping there are gold ingots if you hope to pay the bill.
Valerie's gym also has a toilet, and I think you can sit on it unlike the ones in the hotel.

What I don't get is why the Goomy line isn't also in the Amorphous egg group. The Ralts line is more "solid" in appearance and appears in the Amorphous group.

tardis

Why do female Alakazams have mustaches? If mew supposedly is the ancestor of all pokemon then Arceus had to have come from Mew unless its creation is from some sort of confusing temporal paradox.

Why do female Alakazams have mustaches? If mew supposedly is the ancestor of all pokemon then Arceus had to have come from Mew unless its creation is from some sort of confusing temporal paradox.

The key word here being supposedly. There is no evidence to support Arceus being the god of the Pokemon world. It's all just mythology. Arceus was very likely just a powerful Pokemon that ye olde people interpreted as a god due to its sheer power and enigmatic nature. There's no wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff involved; Arceus is just another Pokemon. On top of that, we have no way of knowing that Mew is the common ancestor of all Pokemon.

Griever789

On the suject of food, couldn't you take a Miltank, chop one of its legs off, take it to the Pokemon Center and repeat the process? Maybe you can only do that with lizards, I'm sure Kecleon would be quite the delicacy...

Well for one you'd probaly have your milktank and trainer liscence revoked for abuse.

Well for one you'd probaly have your milktank and trainer liscence revoked for abuse.

Simple: Forge a new one. How do you think that those pre-schoolers got their licenses to raise Pokemon and battle in the various facilities? There would have to be license forgeries in the ghettos of the big cities.

That's the only explanation I have, anyway.

WildHennaCharizard

Why do female Alakazams have mustaches? .

The mustache could aslo be considered whiskers, many animals in are world have them both male ands females. Ex cats,dogs, seals. Both genders have them.

another note to make is that the Pokemon would not share are beliefs or ideals appearance (and many other things)wise of what is masculine or feminine.

It's most likely been mentioned before, but a female Mr. Mime.

It's been mentioned at least 46 times before this. Mr. Mime's Japanese name is Barrierd, which has no gender inclination. It was merely a translation fail. And besides, there are a few animals whose names have gender inclination but can be the other gender. Ladybird beetles and daddy longlegses, for example.

How can male-only Pokemon (Sawk, Hitmonchan, etc.) reproduce, if there is no female equivalent?

There are Ditto clubs scattered around the Pokemon world. A Pokemon looking to reproduce finds one of these, and the Ditto transforms into that Pokemon but with female organs. The two create an Egg, and that is how male-only Pokemon reproduce in the wild.

In all seriousness, I don't know.