• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
I think it would have made more sense, for the surfing battles, at least. For the Pokémon to stand on rocks sticking out of the water or some sort of drifting materials. There are plenty of rocks ticking out of the water in all of the games, it doesn't seem far fetched for the players to find a space with rock platforms for their Pokémon to stand on.

I've got nothing for Soaring battles. "Wut?" Was my first reaction when I saw my Swampert standing on a swirling circle of air/could when I encountered a Wingull.

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
one thing i never got about magikarps animation in OrAs depicted him flopping around on land, with no water to filter the oxygen out of. but when dive is used,and magikarp is submerged in water, he's still gasping. he should be able to breath.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Here's one.

Pokémon have defined genders, which you know the moment you encounter them. Yet the game text still refers to a Pokémon as 'it' instead of 'he' or 'she'.

grey wing

Johto League Champ
I think it would have made more sense, for the surfing battles, at least. For the Pokémon to stand on rocks sticking out of the water or some sort of drifting materials. There are plenty of rocks ticking out of the water in all of the games, it doesn't seem far fetched for the players to find a space with rock platforms for their Pokémon to stand on.

I've got nothing for Soaring battles. "Wut?" Was my first reaction when I saw my Swampert standing on a swirling circle of air/could when I encountered a Wingull.

Standing on rocks would totally make sense.
Btw, I think your swampert might be the avatar since it could already control water and earth and is now showing airbending abilities lol.

Vern

Why not both?
One thing with soaring should be that you can only battle with pokemon with levitate/flying type, basically make it so that it's like the sky trainer battles.

Akashin

One thing with soaring should be that you can only battle with pokemon with levitate/flying type, basically make it so that it's like the sky trainer battles.

The problem with that is that there's no restriction on what your party looks like when you Soar, meaning you're capable of Soaring with no eligible Pokemon.

I suppose this could have worked if you were made to have Lati@s in your party to Soar, but here we are.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Standing on rocks would totally make sense.
Btw, I think your swampert might be the avatar since it could already control water and earth and is now showing airbending abilities lol.

When it learns Flamethrower and it's eyes start glowing I'll be sure to notify you.

Vern

Why not both?
The problem with that is that there's no restriction on what your party looks like when you Soar, meaning you're capable of Soaring with no eligible Pokemon.

I suppose this could have worked if you were made to have Lati@s in your party to Soar, but here we are.

Talking about that, how in the world can you summon Lati@s from your PC? It's been converted to digital data and has been stored in some matrix somewhere.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Talking about that, how in the world can you summon Lati@s from your PC? It's been converted to digital data and has been stored in some matrix somewhere.

Has that been officially stated that's what happens? I always took to thinking that Pokémon are transferred to a lab like in the anime. Not saying you're wrong, but if this is the case, then it wouldn't really be an issue.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Has that been officially stated that's what happens? I always took to thinking that Pokémon are transferred to a lab like in the anime. Not saying you're wrong, but if this is the case, then it wouldn't really be an issue.

I too have always thought that Pokemon in the PC went to the Professor who gave you your starter. Either that or a Ranch like My Pokemon Ranch.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Yes, like with animals, it's a thing of the English language.

Actually, most English speaking researchers refer to an animal as 'he' instead of 'it' when they don't yet know the gender, because they don't want to think of the animal as an object.

In Pokémon you not only know the gender ahead of time (Dex-ex-machina reasons), but in some games you can even breed Pokémon together, and the game still refers to the Pokémon as 'it', even though Pokémon claims to be against concepts like treating the creatures like objects.

Last edited:

UnitRico

Actually, most English speaking researchers refer to an animal as 'he' instead of 'it' when they don't yet know the gender, because they don't want to think of the animal as an object.

Hm, interesting, I always was under the impression "(s)he" was reserved for just humans.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Hm, interesting, I always was under the impression "(s)he" was reserved for just humans.

I was watching this documentary on penguins, and when they breed in captivity, it's several months before it's possible to find out what the gender of the baby is. They refer to the baby as 'he', because they don't want to think of an animal like an object.

It's funny because Pokémon always advocates that the creatures aren't tools or objects, yet they still refer to Pokémon of known genders as 'it'. Kind of seems hypocritical to me.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
...Umm, if they referred to a female Pokémon as "he", it would just look odd. I think you're getting uppity over linguistics, off all things... If you really want your Pokémon to be called "he", play it in a different language.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
one thing i never got about magikarps animation in OrAs depicted him flopping around on land, with no water to filter the oxygen out of. but when dive is used,and magikarp is submerged in water, he's still gasping. he should be able to breath.

The reverse is also true for all the other fishes, who do not flop around when outside the water.

Then again, a flopping Wailord would be horrible for the battlefield.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
...Umm, if they referred to a female Pokémon as "he", it would just look odd. I think you're getting uppity over linguistics, off all things... If you really want your Pokémon to be called "he", play it in a different language.

You're kind of missing the point of what I'm saying though. The PokeDex immediately identifies the gender of a Pokémon upon encountering it. Therefore, there is no reason for the in-game dialogue to refer to a given Pokémon as 'it', because the gender is already known. The only exception to this is certain Legendary Pokémon or specific Pokemon of unidentifiable genders, in which case the Legendary Pokémon usually have pre-established genders in the storyline (for instance, we know that Latias is female and MewTwo is male, despite their genders not showing up in-game). So there are only a very few cases where using 'it' to identify a Pokémon even makes sense. And for a game series that constantly preaches that Pokémon are friends and not tools or objects, it's kind of hypocritical of them to even use the word 'it' when talking about a Pokémon.

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Why little kids have Pokemon on the game and they battle you if you have to be ten to set off on a Pokemon adventure or get your own Pokemon I forgot which one it is

Because having to be ten years old in order to receive a Pokémon is only a rule in the anime continuity. It has never once been said to be a requirement in the games.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Because having to be ten years old in order to receive a Pokémon is only a rule in the anime continuity. It has never once been said to be a requirement in the games.

You have to admit though, it's pretty irresponsible of parents to let their kids wander off into the wilderness with an animal they barely know, completely unsupervised, just because they saw on TV that it's alright to do.

Last edited:

MrSinxist

I have one, I can't remember what dex entry it was (I think DP) but it said that Shellos and/or Gastrodon have different colours depending on the region, yet if you see them in Hoenn or any other region, they are still either one of their Sinnoh forms!

(Then again, the pokedex isn't the most trustworthy tool...)