• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Leaffish

How can Pokemon other than flying types battle in air?

Porygon-Z isn't a virus. It's the data from Porygon2 that has been corrupted by the buggy(and possibly viral) upgrade found on the Dubious Disc(dubious as in largely untested and buggy or sketchy and possibly containing a virus).

I know that a lot of people have looked and wondered about the Remoraid to Octillery line but there's something else that I never really thought about that hard and just partially accepted as a child. Exeggcute and Exeggutor. A bunch of rotting eggs(somehow psychic eggs, mind you) with faces evolves into a multi-coconut-headed walking palm tree. That's pretty wut-inducing.

While I agree they could have made it more obvious in design and in lore, the reasoning behind the SpaceTime trio's typings is solid-liquid-gas, or Steel-Water-Ghost respectively. Not 100% sure if that's been confirmed but it makes a lot of sense and I've heard it a lot.

There is also the fact that pearls come from the ocean that explains Palkia's water typing. As for Dialga, diamond is very hard just as steel is very strong. And for Giratina... I've got nothing for connecting platinum with ghosts lol

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
Oh, I know. I was just pointing out that it does have Water moves. It is unusual that it doesn't have any by level up or at least TM.

it's definately annoying to anyone who uses eelektross for a play through. i actually had to teach an aggron surf just to get by parts of the game, which is in itself something that doesn't make sense by pokemon standards :D

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
ehh... i don't know if that would count. i mean, none of those moves are learned naturally. at the very least, surf should be second nature, considering the fact that eleektross's habitat is the water.
even the pokedex references the fact that eelektross lives underwater. and while i know that the pokedex is usually incorrect, i think the basic data is somewhat logical

"They crawl out of the ocean using their arms. They will attack prey on shore and immediately drag it into the ocean" (pokedex entry, pokemon black version)

Habitat has nothing to do with typing. Should Bulbasaur, Mareep, and Fennekin all be heavily influenced by the Ground typing because they walk on they live on land?

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Habitat has nothing to do with typing. Should Bulbasaur, Mareep, and Fennekin all be heavily influenced by the Ground typing because they walk on they live on land?

It certainly does seem to work that way with several Pokémon, especially water types who are virtually defined by their habitat(heck, Pokémon like Swampert and Quayside are Water/Ground because they're amphibious). There's also the fact that Elektross is a hagfish which could really have lent it a water typing or at least more water moves in its movepool.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
They can't, what exactly are you referring to? I'm confused.

They can when you're Soaring.

It certainly does seem to work that way with several Pokémon, especially water types who are virtually defined by their habitat(heck, Pokémon like Swampert and Quayside are Water/Ground because they're amphibious). There's also the fact that Elektross is a hagfish which could really have lent it a water typing or at least more water moves in its movepool.

This also doesn't mean anything. Not every Pokémon based on a water-dwelling creature in the real world is a Water type and it doesn't have to be. Eelektross, Malamar, and Stunfisk are perfect examples of this. There is nothing stating that any of these Pokémon have to be typed and learn moves based on the habitat chosen for them by the programmers.

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt

This also doesn't mean anything. Not every Pokémon based on a water-dwelling creature in the real world is a Water type and it doesn't have to be. Eelektross, Malamar, and Stunfisk are perfect examples of this. There is nothing stating that any of these Pokémon have to be typed and learn moves based on the habitat chosen for them by the programmers.

but it has been confirmed that eelektross lives in the ocean and in order to function in the ocean on a very basic level, the ability to swim or dive is required.
in addition, stunfisk can learn surf, and is thus able to survive in an aquatic environment. and with malamar, i don't think it was ever intended to be an aquatic organism. however, it was explicitly stated that eelektross lived in the sea, and therefore by default requires at least surf or dive.

Last edited:

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.

That's not what I was saying. You stated that habitat has nothing to do with a Pokémon's typing, which is demonstrably false as shown in my post.

I didn't say that Elecktross should be Water, I simply stated that it very well could have been or could have had more Water moves in it's move pool.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
but it has been confirmed that eelektross lives in the ocean and in order to function in the ocean on a very basic level, the ability to swim or dive is required.
in addition, stunfisk can learn surf, and is thus able to survive in an aquatic environment. and with malamar, i don't think it was ever intended to be an aquatic organism. however, it was explicitly stated that eelektross lived in the sea, and therefore by default requires at least surf or dive.

Surfing and Diving, in the sense of the attack, are to carry a human through the waters. Otherwise, every single Pokemon encountered in the water would know Surf and Dive as attacks. Living in the water allows it to swim, a Water typing allows it to learn the attacks.

"Able to survive in an aquatic environment" and possessing the capability to offensively utilize a typed attack are not the same thing. If they were, Gamefreak would have made it so.

That's not what I was saying. You stated that habitat has nothing to do with a Pokémon's typing, which is demonstrably false as shown in my post.

I didn't say that Elecktross should be Water, I simply stated that it very well could have been or could have had more Water moves in it's move pool.

I still say that habitat doesn't affect typing, even with your examples. Not every Pokemon living in trees is Grass type, in the heat a Fire type, on a mountain a Rock type, and so on. They just live there. They don't have to know attacks of the typing to survive or even be the typing. They just need to have the specific capabilities to survive.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Surfing and Diving, in the sense of the attack, are to carry a human through the waters. Otherwise, every single Pokemon encountered in the water would know Surf and Dive as attacks. Living in the water allows it to swim, a Water typing allows it to learn the attacks.

"Able to survive in an aquatic environment" and possessing the capability to offensively utilize a typed attack are not the same thing. If they were, Gamefreak would have made it so.

I still say that habitat doesn't affect typing, even with your examples. Not every Pokemon living in trees is Grass type, in the heat a Fire type, on a mountain a Rock type, and so on. They just live there. They don't have to know attacks of the typing to survive or even be the typing. They just need to have the specific capabilities to survive.

It obviously doesn't effect every Pokémon's typing but it's certainly hamfisted to state that it doesn't effect any of them when obviously it does for some. It's not just all or nothing.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
It obviously doesn't effect every Pokémon's typing but it's certainly hamfisted to state that it doesn't effect any of them when obviously it does for some. It's not just all or nothing.

It is certainly a factor in the sense that you can find a specific type in a specific area. But that does not mean the area is designed so that only one type of Pokemon can inhabit it. It's honestly like saying only fish can live in the water. Mammals have such different traits than fish, but some have adapted the aquatic lifestyle, i.e. the dolphin. Just because it swims like a fish, eats like a fish, and looks like a fish does not make it a fish. Compare the same points to the non-Water-type sea-dwellers and you'll understand my point better.

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
It is certainly a factor in the sense that you can find a specific type in a specific area. But that does not mean the area is designed so that only one type of Pokemon can inhabit it. It's honestly like saying only fish can live in the water. Mammals have such different traits than fish, but some have adapted the aquatic lifestyle, i.e. the dolphin. Just because it swims like a fish, eats like a fish, and looks like a fish does not make it a fish. Compare the same points to the non-Water-type sea-dwellers and you'll understand my point better.

i never implied that only water types can be found in the ocean, but i am implying that since eelektross's environment is in the water, and thus will require surf and dive in order to function in it's environment. there are a few neccesities that animals need on a very basic level in order to survive in their environment. not everything that's in the ocean is a fish, sure; but fast moving organism in the ocean needs to swim.both dolphins and sharks need to swim. one is a fish, the other is a mammal, but either way, they both need to swim.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
i never implied that only water types can be found in the ocean, but i am implying that since eelektross's environment is in the water, and thus will require surf and dive in order to function in it's environment. there are a few neccesities that animals need on a very basic level in order to survive in their environment. not everything that's in the ocean is a fish, sure; but fast moving organism in the ocean needs to swim.both dolphins and sharks need to swim. one is a fish, the other is a mammal, but either way, they both need to swim.

You clearly overlooked my last post. Surfing and Diving are field moves to cart around a person. Swimming by itself is an inherent ability. Does every single Pokémon you encounter in the ocean know Surf and Dive when you catch it? No. Almost none do. Even Clamperl and Chinchou, the most commonly found Pokémon while diving don't even know Dive. What's next, an attack called Walk in order to maneuver on land?

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
You clearly overlooked my last post. Surfing and Diving are field moves to cart around a person. Swimming by itself is an inherent ability. Does every single Pokémon you encounter in the ocean know Surf and Dive when you catch it? No. Almost none do. Even Clamperl and Chinchou, the most commonly found Pokémon while diving don't even know Dive. What's next, an attack called Walk in order to maneuver on land?

no, once again, i never implied that every pokemon who can be found while on water routes do know surf/dive. i simply stated that they should be able two learn those moves. a pokemon that cannot learn how to swim (especially fully evolved pokemon, like eelektross) will have a hard time trying to survive in their environments.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
On the subject of Dialga's typing: While there's the logical "diamonds are the strongest substance, Steel is the most resilient type" answer, there's also the fact that diamonds are made of carbon, and steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, although I'm not a chemistry expert so I could be wrong somewhere. But how does that explain Steelix apparently being harder than diamond?

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
no, once again, i never implied that every pokemon who can be found while on water routes do know surf/dive. i simply stated that they should be able two learn those moves. a pokemon that cannot learn how to swim (especially fully evolved pokemon, like eelektross) will have a hard time trying to survive in their environments.

That's the whole point. A Pokémon cannot utilize a move it doesn't know, correct? Yet you're implying these Pokémon can swim without knowing the specific necessary moves. That is contradictory. The only way to explain this is to say that Pokémon are capable of swimming and living in the ocean without utilizing offensive Water attacks.

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
That's the whole point. A Pokémon cannot utilize a move it doesn't know, correct? Yet you're implying these Pokémon can swim without knowing the specific necessary moves. That is contradictory. The only way to explain this is to say that Pokémon are capable of swimming and living in the ocean without utilizing offensive Water attacks.

I think that we're over complicating things a little bit here XD my frame of thought is simply that if something lives in the ocean, it should be able to swim and dive and the like. in addition, if a creatures natural habitat is in the water, then it should least be able to use some attacks based on its environment.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I think that we're over complicating things a little bit here XD my frame of thought is simply that if something lives in the ocean, it should be able to swim and dive and the like. in addition, if a creatures natural habitat is in the water, then it should least be able to use some attacks based on its environment.

I do get what you're saying and I see why you would think it, but the fact remains that it doesn't and I'm trying to explain potentially why.