• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

MrSinxist

Dunno if anybody else has noticed this, but in ORAS and maybe some other games, some people talk about my pokemon as if it's out of the ball. For example I think there's a few people who will comment on your pokemon's appearance, such as cute or whatever. (These are random NPCs btw) but the pokemon is in it's ball! What is the explanation? This ain't no HGSS peeps!

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Dunno if anybody else has noticed this, but in ORAS and maybe some other games, some people talk about my pokemon as if it's out of the ball. For example I think there's a few people who will comment on your pokemon's appearance, such as cute or whatever. (These are random NPCs btw) but the pokemon is in it's ball! What is the explanation? This ain't no HGSS peeps!

Maybe your character opens the ultra ball off screen. That makes sense.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
On the subject of Dialga's typing: While there's the logical "diamonds are the strongest substance, Steel is the most resilient type" answer, there's also the fact that diamonds are made of carbon, and steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, although I'm not a chemistry expert so I could be wrong somewhere. But how does that explain Steelix apparently being harder than diamond?

I never understood Dialga's typing either @_@ As a kid I my reasoning always went like this:
1. Dialga is the Time legendary
2. Clocks tell time
3. Clocks have gears
4. Gears are made of metal so Steel typing right? ...Right?

Seriously, I still don't know. Though I do think that the names of Diamond and Pearl version don't really have very much to do with the designs of the legendaries. Except Palkia does have slightly pearl-looking skin and is more rounded while Dialga is more jagged. But why a water dragon and a steel(for some reason) dragon would be the embodiments of space and time still kind of eludes me. Therefore I conclude, doesn't matter, I don't know what kind of logic The Pokémon Company was using while they designed these things but I thoight they were awesome when I was a kid and they're still pretty cool now. (Though I would still like to delve into this a bit more.)

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
I never understood Dialga's typing either @_@ As a kid I my reasoning always went like this:
1. Dialga is the Time legendary
2. Clocks tell time
3. Clocks have gears
4. Gears are made of metal so Steel typing right? ...Right?

Seriously, I still don't know. Though I do think that the names of Diamond and Pearl version don't really have very much to do with the designs of the legendaries. Except Palkia does have slightly pearl-looking skin and is more rounded while Dialga is more jagged. But why a water dragon and a steel(for some reason) dragon would be the embodiments of space and time still kind of eludes me. Therefore I conclude, doesn't matter, I don't know what kind of logic The Pokémon Company was using while they designed these things but I thoight they were awesome when I was a kid and they're still pretty cool now. (Though I would still like to delve into this a bit more.)

maybe the whole pearl and diamond thing has to do with the diamond on dialga's chest and the pearl on palkia's shoulders. as for the water/dragon typing, it could have somthing to do with pearls being found in the water? though i've always loved gen 4, i do have to admit that there are a few things that don't make sense :D

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
maybe the whole pearl and diamond thing has to do with the diamond on dialga's chest and the pearl on palkia's shoulders. as for the water/dragon typing, it could have somthing to do with pearls being found in the water? though i've always loved gen 4, i do have to admit that there are a few things that don't make sense :D

It makes perfect sense to me. Palkia has the pearl in it's arm, which in the Darkrai movie is shown to be important to its attacks. Pearls are associated with water.

Dialga, on the other hand, is covered in steel, and it has a diamond in its chest, as a counterpart to Palkia's pearl. Plus, their designs look pretty cool.

--VIRGO--

What really confuses my is Elite 4, Champion's skills. Their Pokémon seems to be exaggerate in terms or strength (anime). I know they suppose the be the toughest in their region but I.e. Ash during his battle with Flint didn't even wore out his Infernape, while I.e. defeated Brandon and his legendary Pokémon. He lost two times, but each fight wasn't as one sided, as in case of Flint.

Last edited:

Akashin

What really confuses my is Elite 4, Champion's skills. Their Pokémon seems to be exaggerate in terms or strength (anime). I know they suppose the be the toughest in their region but I.e. Ash during his battle with Flint didn't even worn out his Infernape, while I.e. defeated Brandon and his legendary Pokémon. He lost two times, but each fight wasn't as one sided, as in case of Flint.

Being confused is all well and fine, but what about that doesn't make sense? They're merely put on a really big pedestal in the anime.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Being confused is all well and fine, but what about that doesn't make sense? They're merely put on a really big pedestal in the anime.

To the point where they are the literal definition of the unbeatable Mary Sue archetype.

Personally, the term 'Elite' when it comes to Pokémon Trainers in the Anime is nothing more than a crutch. Any time there is an insanely skilled Trainer anywhere, all they have to say is 'Um... Oh, they're just one of the Region's Elite Four'. Seriously, it could be Bob, the Janitor, and if someone uses the word 'Elite', he's suddenly an unstoppable paragon. Then again, the greatest hero Nintendo has in its lineup is a plumber in his mid-40s. So I wouldn't necessarily put it past them to do this at some point.

Speaking of the Elite Four, here's something that makes no sense. MewTwo's master plan was to gather all the world's (by 'world' the show means 'Region') best Trainers, so he could clone the strongest Pokémon possible. Where were the Elite Four? Why didn't they get invited to his island? They're clearly the best Trainers in the world, so it doesn't make ANY sense for NONE of them to be there.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Well, considering they're constantly being beaten by 10-yr olds, maybe Mewtwo didn't think the elite 4s were that great of trainers.

I was more referring to the anime though, where they're overpowered and basically unbeatable, except when offscreen. If MewTwo was serious about carrying out that plan, he should have thought to invite them (or the champions). For the world's most powerful and brilliant Pokémon, that's a pretty serious oversight.

Speaking of the Elite Four, here's something that makes no sense. MewTwo's master plan was to gather all the world's (by 'world' the show means 'Region') best Trainers, so he could clone the strongest Pokémon possible. Where were the Elite Four? Why didn't they get invited to his island? They're clearly the best Trainers in the world, so it doesn't make ANY sense for NONE of them to be there.

I was going to say the Elite Four don't exist in the anime, but then I remembered that they do. It may be that they hadn't decided for sure that they wanted to write all of them into the anime, but that is still an excellent point. In fact, I totally think the movie would have been more epic if it had included the Elite Four instead of a bunch of random trainers!

Well, considering they're constantly being beaten by 10-yr olds, maybe Mewtwo didn't think the elite 4s were that great of trainers.

LOL, awesome post!

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I was more referring to the anime though, where they're overpowered and basically unbeatable, except when offscreen. If MewTwo was serious about carrying out that plan, he should have thought to invite them (or the champions). For the world's most powerful and brilliant Pokémon, that's a pretty serious oversight.

I do agree having the elite four taking part on that movie would be way better than a bunch of trainers. I can't quite think of something other than them (Random trainers) being the champions of that championship Ash took part of?

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
I was more referring to the anime though, where they're overpowered and basically unbeatable, except when offscreen.

This makes far more sense than the Elite four in the games to me. They're called "Elite" for a reason. They're supposed to be the 4 greatest trainers in the entire region other than the champion so it strikes me as odd how most of the time they don't feel that way. They don't seem lartifularlu more skilled than anyone else it just feels like they have higher level teams amd a bag full of full restores.

And this, children, is why we need difficulty settings in Pokémon.

Mardeon

Kalos King
This makes far more sense than the Elite four in the games to me. They're called "Elite" for a reason. They're supposed to be the 4 greatest trainers in the entire region other than the champion so it strikes me as odd how most of the time they don't feel that way. They don't seem lartifularlu more skilled than anyone else it just feels like they have higher level teams amd a bag full of full restores.

And this, children, is why we need difficulty settings in Pokémon.

Totally agree! Now that we have Mega Evolutions, I think every Elite 4 member should use one, like they do in ORAS, but not only in the rematches. That way, they'd become more than just improved versions of Gym Leaders.

Anyway, one thing I don't understand is the role of the Elite 4 in the anime. They are constantly challenging the champions, like the Sinnoh Elite challenging Cynthia. By doing this, are they trying to become champions themselves or just testing the champion's skills? How one becomes an elite 4 member in the first place?

Just some stuff I have in my mind :p

NotABeginningTrainer

I think of the E4 kind of like the Supreme Court Justices. They are in a permanent position (probably chosen by the champion at the time) whereas the champion is like an elected office. They're there until someone else votes/beats them out.

On the other point, I think it's very likely mega evolutions will become much more commonplace by gen 7. Just like they settled down about hidden abilities.

Tactical Squirtle

I think of the E4 kind of like the Supreme Court Justices. They are in a permanent position (probably chosen by the champion at the time) whereas the champion is like an elected office. They're there until someone else votes/beats them out.

On the other point, I think it's very likely mega evolutions will become much more commonplace by gen 7. Just like they settled down about hidden abilities.

Never thought if it like that before, interesting observation! Also interested to see what mega evolutions are added in Gen 7. Would love to see a Smeargle Mega evolution...

I always thought it was weird when Pikachu defeated Onix in the first season through an enhanced DIY volt charge. Or whenever ash would scream, "Dodge it pikachu!" If only we could do that in the game.

Ninfia-Fan

Why doesn't Sunny Day boost the power of Grass-type moves?

My guess for this is that Sunny Day makes the sunlight too intense for plants to flourish - sort of like in the middle of a drought. I believe that Sunny Day recreates drought-like conditions because the power of Water-type moves goes down due to the evaporation of water in droughts. No water, no plants. However, I don't think Sunny Day is as powerful or catastrophic as Desolate Land, which makes Water-type moves completely ineffective, since moves that reverse Sunny Day (Rain Dance, etc.) exist.

UnknownMr.Ree

How come Garchomp is not the evolved form of sharpedo, even though nintendo kinda made a connection by having garchamp's hidden ability same as sharpedo's, which is rough skin..

Pokemon breeding, like Nidoran(f) can, but its evolved forms cant..

What's the point in making 2 special abilities with same effect, like insomia-vital spirit.

How come fire type moves are not effective against a water type when it's out of water, cause, you know, you cook fish.. (IDK seriously, been wondering since i was a kid XD)

In anime, Satoshi and his friends can be hit by Shadowball which is a Ghost type move, does that mean Satoshi isnt normal?

Dragonite, despite being the fastest pokemon, is so slow in games -_-

In anime, in every start of Satoshi's adventure, Pikachu's level seems to reset, it was beaten by Trip's Snivy and Tied with Paul's Elekid.. Just doesnt make sense.