• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Scyther is in the same boat as quite a fair number of Pokemon in that regard. Scyther is capable of flight, and thus it can participate in Sky Battles; whether or not you think it's illogical that Scyther can't learn Fly, its eligibility for Sky Battles has nothing to do with it.

Dang it, it should be able to learn Fly. Point blank.

If a 1'4" bird can carry us across the sky, then a 4'10" flying praying mantis should be able to.

Ivysnake

Poison Gym Leader

If a 1'4" bird can carry us across the sky, then a 4'10" flying praying mantis should be able to.

Well, any pokemon with levitate can be in a sky battle, it doesn't mean Rotom or Claydol can fly you across the region. And pokemon of the flying type, such as ALL other bugs that are flying ((Which makes no sense that the only ones that can fly are Genesect and Volcarona)) can't fly, and also Jumpluff, Mantine, and even Gliscor. I think it may be more on how they fly, rather then if they can fly.

Here's a question: In OR/AS, when flying on the Lati twins and enter a battle with a wild bird (or balloon) , how does the pokemon you send out able to fight?

"Go golem!"

*Golem plummets to the ground and destroys town*

"Whoops?"

Enjolras

Master of the House

Scyther and all other flying bug types do not have the physical strength to carry a human. They are bugs.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Scyther and all other flying bug types do not have the physical strength to carry a human. They are bugs.

And yet somehow Zubat, a 2 ft. pokemon with no feet and a very small mouth that doesn't close, who must flap continuously just to remain afloat, is capable of carrying someone 7 times its weight over long distances?

And somehow Vullaby, a 1 ft. pokemon stated to have wings far too small to enable flight, is capable of carrying someone 6 times its weight over long distances?

And somehow Vibrava, a pokemon stated to have not yet obtained fully grown wings and therefore cannot fly long distances, is capable of carrying someone 3 times its weight over long distances?

But Scyther doesn't have the physical strength to carry a human because it's a bug. Wow, I am so glad this thread exists.

Last edited:

Akashin

And yet somehow Zubat, a 2 ft. pokemon with no feet and a very small mouth that doesn't close, who must flap continuously just to remain afloat, is capable of carrying someone 7 times its weight over long distances?

But Scyther doesn't have the physical strength to carry a human because it's a bug. Wow, I am so glad this thread exists.

While this is the eternal, unsolvable issue that inevitably rears its head every few pages in this thread, Scyther does also have a meta reason behind it: Scizor. Despite what the anime shows Scizor is not wholly capable of flight, and so Scyther learning Fly would interfere with that.

This excuse didn't hold back in Gen I (where Charizard couldn't Fly until Yellow, if we need to point out how interested in infallible logic GF was), of course, but here we are.

Enjolras

Master of the House

And somehow Vullaby, a 1 ft. pokemon stated to have wings far too small to enable flight, is capable of carrying someone 6 times its weight over long distances?

And somehow Vibrava, a pokemon stated to have not yet obtained fully grown wings and therefore cannot fly long distances, is capable of carrying someone 3 times its weight over long distances?

I have no answer for you there. The Vullaby example seems especially strange, for the reasons you just mentioned. A hatchling Pokemon, carrying a person across a region?

Also, I found this handy Pokedex entry for Scyther:

X Pokedex entry said:
It tears and shreds prey with its wickedly sharp scythes. It very rarely spreads its wings to fly.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I'm sure this has been brought up many times. In fact, I'm sure that most people on this site have heard this one before. But it's such a classic that I have to mention it here. It's the Fire/Water paradox.

Fire Pokémon have an aversion to water and are weak to water-based attacks. More than that, canonically speaking, water can literally kill them.

So how in the world is it that Fresh Water still restores 50 of their HP?

Water: dangerous to Fire-type Pokémon, can kill them in large enough quantities, but it restores 50 HP.

Last edited:

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I'm sure this has been brought up many times. In fact, I'm sure that most people on this site have heard this one before. But it's such a classic that I have to mention it here. It's the Fire/Water paradox.

Fire Pokémon have an aversion to water and are weak to water-based attacks. More than that, canonically speaking, water can literally kill them.

Water: dangerous to Fire-type Pokémon, can kill them in large enough quantities, but it restores 50 HP.

I have never seen that before, it is pretty interesting.

I don't have an explanation for this myself, but it is indeed strange.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader

The water they drink isn't offensively trying to harm them like Water type attacks are.

Vern

Why not both?
The water they drink isn't offensively trying to harm them like Water type attacks are.

Except when fire types with exposed flame are submerged underwater for an extended period of time, they begin to... well, hurt. And natural water wouldn't be trying to kill you.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong here.)

Ivysnake

Poison Gym Leader
How come Rain Dance doesn't hurt Fire-types?

That... makes sense. I mean, not all fire types, but ones like Charizard, Magcargo, and Magmortar all have exposed flames, so I suppose it would hurt some of the fire types, if not all.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
You know what makes no sense and is something I've been wondering about since Pokemon Pearl? The fact that Palkia can not learn the HM waterfall! Let's set aside the fact for a moment that Palkia is a WATER type, and just take the approach that it is literally the deity of space. It literally created space and can rips holes in the fabric of it with it's moves, but it can't climb a freakin' waterfall?! Something is seriously wrong with this picture.

XXD17

Draco rex
How is Scyther eligible for Sky Battles but it still can't learn Fly?

The requirements for sky battles are a little more technical rather than logical...although the creators want us to believe that sky battling is something exclusive to flying types or pokemon with levitate, it actually more so based on the model that the Pokemon has...only pokemon with floating (air floating not water floating) or flying models can sky battle...it just so happens that the majority of pokemon with these models are flying type or levitators...natu, pidgey, starly, gengar, and fletchling all can't participate yet beedrill, venomoth, and dustox can...btw, can mew, celebi or jirachi sky battle?

As for the odd distribution of fly, I think it has something to do with the original intentions of the creators all the way back in RBY from a mistake/ correction that wasn't properly dealt with....remember the glitch missingno? It's typing is the "bird" type which we obviously don't have....maybe there was going to be a bird type back then instead of the flying type but was changed to be more general...fly may have been a bird type move and its intention never got corrected in first gen...that's why every bird pokemon in first gen can learn it even if they technically shouldn't (doduo)...while a lot of flying types didn't learn it when they logically should (charizard)

Last edited:

WildHennaCharizard

I remember this question coming up in an old issue of Nintendo Power; and they answered only WATER TYPE ATTAKS HURT THEM not the regular water that they drink. They also said that same can be said for why ground and rocks types can walk through a field of grass.