• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Ivysnake

Poison Gym Leader
How does Skuntank use Defog? Every other pokemon who has the move has some form of wings or is a flying type (And Shiftry has fans?), but how does a skunk cause something like "A strong wind blows away the target's obstacles"? Not that I'm complaining it shouldn't have it, I'm just wondering how he could use it.

How does Skuntank use Defog? Every other pokemon who has the move has some form of wings or is a flying type (And Shiftry has fans?), but how does a skunk cause something like "A strong wind blows away the target's obstacles"? Not that I'm complaining it shouldn't have it, I'm just wondering how he could use it.

Maybe wagging it's tail? but that would look ridicilous. lol

Enjolras

Master of the House

Strong wind? Skunk? It must have something to do with its spray, blowing the fog away.

Ivysnake

Poison Gym Leader
Strong wind? Skunk? It must have something to do with its spray, blowing the fog away.

Well, when it uses a special attack like flamethrower, the top of his tail opens up (which is basically the tip of his hairstyle,), so I guess it could do with that.

Ivysnake

Poison Gym Leader
why any of your pokemon can fight underwater if you dive most non-water types would drown extinguish or something else

Perhaps the pokemon using dive creates a bubble of some kind to surround you as you fight? that's the only thing that seems practical to me, besides it just being a plothole xD

HM02gon

Waiting...
why any of your pokemon can fight underwater if you dive most non-water types would drown extinguish or something else

Yeah I kinda wondered that, especially when I sent out my Camerupt against a Free Diver (He has HP grass, so he does fight water types)

And on the other hand how do flying Pokemon go about being underwater? Because there's technically no air for then to glide on while underwater.

How come during underwater battles, to contribute to this discussion, fire type attacks aren't as powerful and electric type attacks aren't more powerful?
(at least, I don't think this already applies? I can never notice...)

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I remember this question coming up in an old issue of Nintendo Power; and they answered only WATER TYPE ATTAKS HURT THEM not the regular water that they drink. They also said that same can be said for why ground and rocks types can walk through a field of grass.

The problem is that isn't the practical reason for how it works. That's just the mechanical explanation.

In the series canon they established fairly early on that water can literally kill a Fire Type. Even so much as leaving a Charmander out in the rain for a few minutes can kill it. Rain isn't an attack. It's an inconvenience, but it isn't a Pokémon attack. Yet it still hurts Fire Types.

However, give 'em a glass of fresh water and it's fine. But rain IS fresh water, so it still doesn't make sense.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The problem is that isn't the practical reason for how it works. That's just the mechanical explanation.

In the series canon they established fairly early on that water can literally kill a Fire Type. Even so much as leaving a Charmander out in the rain for a few minutes can kill it. Rain isn't an attack. It's an inconvenience, but it isn't a Pokémon attack. Yet it still hurts Fire Types.

However, give 'em a glass of fresh water and it's fine. But rain IS fresh water, so it still doesn't make sense.

The water goes INSIDE the Fire type not outside which is how I see it. But I can see the conflict with the rain on certain Pokemon like Slugma who is basically a sentient piece of molten lava.

Prince Umbreon

Starfish and Coffee
A light drizzle shouldn't pose much of a problem to any fire types. The superheated ones like Slugma and whonot will just make it evaporate before contact. A decent rainfall could be a different story though, but still probably wouldn't be a big deal for fire types without an open flame. Heavy rain is what would be an issue for them.

... I had an idea in my head for this thread but now I totally forgot.

You know what doesnt make sense? Palkia can Learn Water Pulse, Surf, Hydro Pump, Flamethrower and Fire Blast. But not Scald? How? It can breath fire and shoot water, and Gyarados can learn Flamethrower, Fire Blast and Scald. It just doesnt make any sense

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan

If Coca-Cola existed in the series, how would fire-types handle that?

I mean there is some water in coke, so I wonder how that would work.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
If Coca-Cola existed in the series, how would fire-types handle that?

I mean there is some water in coke, so I wonder how that would work.

Since we already established that drinking water does nothing to them (whether you agree with it or not), Coke would probably have the exact same effect.
Even so, Coca-Cola DOES exist in the games. It's not branded as such, but soda is an HP restoring drink for Pokémon. Not to mention Lemonade restores HP. Literally every beverage in existence contains water. So this is all a moot point.

Fire types would die of thirst if they could not drink. Let's just say their skin and external flames are affected by water but their organs require it for sustenance.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
You know what doesnt make sense? Palkia can Learn Water Pulse, Surf, Hydro Pump, Flamethrower and Fire Blast. But not Scald? How? It can breath fire and shoot water, and Gyarados can learn Flamethrower, Fire Blast and Scald. It just doesnt make any sense

How about Emboar learning Scald? I get the heat part but how does Emboar shoot out the water?

Tangeh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-7kEk1ceE

Stumbled across this Vsauce video today and it makes some interesting scientific-filled points about how deadly some pokemon would be to humans - and Magcargo, Blastoise, and Victreebel didn't even seem overly dangerous compared to some of the bigger more predatory-looking pokemon out there (until I watched this xD). So yeah. According to the pokedex, you shouldn't even be able to go anywhere near a magcargo because you'd essentially spontaneously combust, and blastoise would literally destroy anything it used its water cannons on. Science and pokemon don't mix lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW5jwbi5O2g

...not even safe from magikarp...

Last edited: