• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Know what I don't get? Why Mega Blaziken and Mega Metagross are allowed to be used in Battle Maison, yet Celebi and Shaymin aren't.
I think it should be changed so that all Pokémon with a BST above 600 should be banned from BM, or at the very least ban the Mega Evolutions of Pseudo-Legendaries.

Yeah, I'm honestly not even sure the qualifications for Battle Maison bans. Like Latios and Latias are allowed and their BSTs are 700 in mega form (unless you can't mega evolve them in the Maison. I haven't tried.) Granted, they didn't have megas when the Battle Maison was introduced, but they still had the same BSTs as some of the banned legendaries. Why ban any legendaries if you aren't going to ban them all? Especially if some of the ones that are allowed have higher BSTs than banned ones, as you said.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Know what I don't get? Why Mega Blaziken and Mega Metagross are allowed to be used in Battle Maison, yet Celebi and Shaymin aren't.
I think it should be changed so that all Pokémon with a BST above 600 should be banned from BM, or at the very least ban the Mega Evolutions of Pseudo-Legendaries.

Because of their own pseudo-item restriction. They can't be a trickscarfer or a specs attacker or even carry a life orb because they need their mega stones. This is seen as a hindrance because others can use these items.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
whats the deal with Gen 2's Safari Zone?

ya cant get it open

who're they tryin to keep out??

Akashin

whats the deal with Gen 2's Safari Zone?

ya cant get it open

who're they tryin to keep out??

You, because the Kanto Safari Zone has been closed down by the time of GSC. It wasn't until HGSS that they instead had a new one open up in Johto and turned the existing one into a Pal Park.

A better question would be why this doesn't make sense (by Pokemon standards, an oft ignored aspect of the thread).

Creyk

Drowzee and Hypno don't learn dream eater.
And that is just....the biggest mistake they ever made

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Drowzee and Hypno don't learn dream eater.
And that is just....the biggest mistake they ever made

Just because they don't learn it by level up doesn't mean they can't learn it. They were able to learn it by tutoring in the 3rd generation and by TM in every other generation. Level up isn't everything. That's like saying it's crazy that Pidgeot doesn't learn Fly be level up even though its dex entry says that it can fly at Mach 2.

blob

Know what makes no sense? Why there are more Fairy Types than Ice and Ghost Types. :/

Fairy has successfully replaced Ice type in both usefulness and in numbers.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Know what makes no sense? Why there are more Fairy Types than Ice and Ghost Types. :/

Fairy has successfully replaced Ice type in both usefulness and in numbers.

That's just a matter of what Pokemon the designers decided to make. For a time, Fire types were actually relatively rare in most regional dexes until they added more. The thing with Fairy is that they changed the typing of so many to make them that type (Togepi, Marill, Jigglypuff, Whimsicott, etc.), so there are a decent amount of them.

As for usefulness, I would argue that they each have their own niche. Ice has a a few things that Fairy does not, including more moves and a wider range of different kinds of moves. Also Ice has coverage that Fairy does not. Yes, both are super effective against Dragon, but Ice beats Grass, Flying, and Ground as well whereas Fairy beats Fighting and Dark. To say that one is more useful than another is a little unfair (although depending on the tier/meta, one might be more predominant, sure) because the whole point of adding them was to balance the game and I think they executed that well, at least in terms of types.

Now, back to numbers, yes, I do think there should be more Ice types, but that's regardless of Fairy's existence.

blob

That's just a matter of what Pokemon the designers decided to make. For a time, Fire types were actually relatively rare in most regional dexes until they added more. The thing with Fairy is that they changed the typing of so many to make them that type (Togepi, Marill, Jigglypuff, Whimsicott, etc.), so there are a decent amount of them.

As for usefulness, I would argue that they each have their own niche. Ice has a a few things that Fairy does not, including more moves and a wider range of different kinds of moves. Also Ice has coverage that Fairy does not. Yes, both are super effective against Dragon, but Ice beats Grass, Flying, and Ground as well whereas Fairy beats Fighting and Dark. To say that one is more useful than another is a little unfair (although depending on the tier/meta, one might be more predominant, sure) because the whole point of adding them was to balance the game and I think they executed that well, at least in terms of types.

Now, back to numbers, yes, I do think there should be more Ice types, but that's regardless of Fairy's existence.

The type chart wasn't completely balanced out, as Ice types need several buffs and Ground and Water types need more nerfs.

Firebrand

Indomitable
The type chart wasn't completely balanced out, as Ice types need several buffs and Ground and Water types need more nerfs.

Not to mention that Ice types in general have poor stats to fit their niche. Unless they have a secondary typing to help them do something unique (ala Abomasnow with grass coverage or Froslass with it's ghost typing and fairly versatile movepool) they're generally outclassed. Many other non-ice types can learn Ice Beam (and to a lesser extent, Tutor Ice Punch), which would be the principal reason to use ice types in the first place, for coverage. Most specially-focused water types also learn Ice Beam and tend to be able to just do a lot more. When configuring a team, I usually have something with Ice type moves but I'm rarely if ever packing an Ice type.

blob

Not to mention that Ice types in general have poor stats to fit their niche. Unless they have a secondary typing to help them do something unique (ala Abomasnow with grass coverage or Froslass with it's ghost typing and fairly versatile movepool) they're generally outclassed. Many other non-ice types can learn Ice Beam (and to a lesser extent, Tutor Ice Punch), which would be the principal reason to use ice types in the first place, for coverage. Most specially-focused water types also learn Ice Beam and tend to be able to just do a lot more. When configuring a team, I usually have something with Ice type moves but I'm rarely if ever packing an Ice type.

Yeah.

Know what I don't get in ORAS? Why after you reach the the third or fourth town, the camera stops zooming out when you read the slogan sign for cities/towns. Did GF forget to implement it after you meet your dad?
One other thing which makes no sense, is you can see the GLs under the Strategy Memo, but you can't re-battle them.

I'm pretty sure the games are incomplete.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Yeah.

Know what I don't get in ORAS? Why after you reach the the third or fourth town, the camera stops zooming out when you read the slogan sign for cities/towns. Did GF forget to implement it after you meet your dad?
One other thing which makes no sense, is you can see the GLs under the Strategy Memo, but you can't re-battle them.

I'm pretty sure the games are incomplete.

Yeah, that was my gripe with ORAS too, it felt like so much wasted potential. I was never really in the camp of RSE being the greatest games in the canon to start with, and when I replayed Emerald about two years back I found it no more or less enjoyable than replaying any of other other main games, but I felt there was a lot more they could have done with ORAS. I get they didn't want to deviate from the source material too heavily, but I still felt, like you did, that the games fell short of the mark they ought to have. I could forgive XY for feeling like they went by too quickly and lacked postgame content because they had to completely rebuild the game engine from the ground up to fit the 3D nature of things, but they really didn't have to redesign the engine for ORAS, and they had source material to work off of. All told, I felt like the games were lacking enough to make them what the fanbase hoped them to be. Maybe if they hadn't spent so much time designing new mega evolutions?

blob

Yeah, that was my gripe with ORAS too, it felt like so much wasted potential. I was never really in the camp of RSE being the greatest games in the canon to start with, and when I replayed Emerald about two years back I found it no more or less enjoyable than replaying any of other other main games, but I felt there was a lot more they could have done with ORAS. I get they didn't want to deviate from the source material too heavily, but I still felt, like you did, that the games fell short of the mark they ought to have. I could forgive XY for feeling like they went by too quickly and lacked postgame content because they had to completely rebuild the game engine from the ground up to fit the 3D nature of things, but they really didn't have to redesign the engine for ORAS, and they had source material to work off of. All told, I felt like the games were lacking enough to make them what the fanbase hoped them to be. Maybe if they hadn't spent so much time designing new mega evolutions?

Or re-designing the main characters and villains. There's no point in putting effort into designing people you won't see post-game, especially since there's no cutscene replay thing implemented.

Plus the side characters like contest boy has just a generic rich boy model. I kinda feel sorry for him, as contest girl keeps on pushing us into doing more contests, while leaving him on the wayside. It's like all she wants to do is focus on contests, but not in a competitive way, even though that ends up happening ANYWAY. Either way, I find her very annoying and it's not helped by the fact she ignores the one guy who actually loves her.

Anyone else want a way to re-hear old cries? A lot of the newer ones sound stupid and low quality, plus are either shorter or just sound nothing like they used to. They're also not as memorable and I find it annoying that I have to re-memorize all of the cries, half of which sound rubbish. Maybe create a Cry Player for Post-Game use.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Many people say Team Magma is stupid, and their plans are entirely nonsensical, and I will gladly defend them.

Yes, more land is a problem, but honestly, many people don't care for water that much. I mean sure most of our drinks could have water in them, but it's not that obvious.

Also, no water could mean end of plants, so what? There are plenty of cities in real life where there are a lot of buildings, and no sign of a plant anywhere. And guess what? People in these cities survive just fine, so I don't see how lack of plants would be a problem. And honestly can you blame them? There really is too much water in Hoenn, so it makes sense they think more land would benefit people.

Team Magma's plans are misguided, but not stupid. Their plan makes some sense.

Team Aqua on the other hand, I can't defend them, and think their plans make no sense.

At least with Team Magma their plan make sense in some way. But Team Aqua wants to flood the world. How would that benefit humans at all? It would benefit water-types, sure, but they are trying to help humans. How would that help? The only people who'd survive are those who can swim, even then they would need the ability to breath underwater for hours, not even the best divers have that ability since a diving gear can and will run out within a day. So tell me, where is Team Aqua coming from? How does their plan make sense?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don't understand why moves don't cancel out during evolution.

There are moves that an evolved form clearly shouldn't be having, like Hitmonlee having Bullet Punch, Kakuna having Bug Bite, and Pupitar having Power-Up Punch. They are clearly in a position where they no longer do those things, so the move should no longer be there.

And why are Golem, Shroomish, Ledyba, Chansey, Blissey, Gulpin and Swalot able to have any punching move at all? Their tiny little arms clearly can't reach passed their own bodies. Who are they gonna punch?

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I don't understand why moves don't cancel out during evolution.

There are moves that an evolved form clearly shouldn't be having, like Hitmonlee having Bullet Punch, Kakuna having Bug Bite, and Pupitar having Power-Up Punch. They are clearly in a position where they no longer do those things, so the move should no longer be there.
That I totally agree with.

And why are Golem, Shroomish, Ledyba, Chansey, Blissey, Gulpin and Swalot able to have any punching move at all? Their tiny little arms clearly can't reach passed their own bodies. Who are they gonna punch?

I do agree with you on the most part. But Golem? I'm sorry, but I don't see how his hand is small, in fact it looks big enough to be able to use a powerful punch.