• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Why can't Nidorina and Nidoqueen breed but Nidorino and Nidoking can? It has never been explained or even rationalized.
With regards to this I've always thought that there must be something in the Nidorina/Nidoqueen side that makes it unable to reproduce after it evolves from Nidoran F. Perhaps the female side have something hormonal going on that prevents breeding after they evolve further? I have no proof of this but it's something I always thought about. Basically, Nidorina/Nidoqueen might just be go through really early menopause :p
~RaichuArcanine~

Why can't Nidorina and Nidoqueen breed but Nidorino and Nidoking can? It has never been explained or even rationalized.

Are they even in the same egg group? Because their body types are totally different from eachother... Maybe that might be it. However it would still be weird if nidorino and nidoking can breed... I don't think they did this on purpose, though...

ATA

With regards to this I've always thought that there must be something in the Nidorina/Nidoqueen side that makes it unable to reproduce after it evolves from Nidoran F. Perhaps the female side have something hormonal going on that prevents breeding after they evolve further? I have no proof of this but it's something I always thought about. Basically, Nidorina/Nidoqueen might just be go through really early menopause :p
~RaichuArcanine~

Yes, that's possible, but no other Pokemon undergoes something like that. If what makes Nidorina and Nidoqueen unable to breed is a kind of menopause process, why are they the only Pokemon species to undergo this process, while literally all other non-legendary Pokemon can continually reproduce during their entire lifespan?

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Yes, that's possible, but no other Pokemon undergoes something like that. If what makes Nidorina and Nidoqueen unable to breed is a kind of menopause process, why are they the only Pokemon species to undergo this process, while literally all other non-legendary Pokemon can continually reproduce during their entire lifespan?

This is exactly what I meant.

And another thing, why the heck does Heatran have BOTH genders if it is a Legendary and cannot breed? Seems odd to me.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This is exactly what I meant.

And another thing, why the heck does Heatran have BOTH genders if it is a Legendary and cannot breed? Seems odd to me.

They probably just wanted to make something unique. I don't see any problem with it, as legendary status takes priority over gender.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
The fact that in Pokémon Red Prof. Oak is nowhere to be found in Pallet Town before you go to the grass, but he leads you to the lab when you do.

Where the heck was he coming from?

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
The fact that in Pokémon Red Prof. Oak is nowhere to be found in Pallet Town before you go to the grass, but he leads you to the lab when you do.

Where the heck was he coming from?

I like to believe he went for a swim. Seriously.

What about the fact AZ built a machine to bring pokemon to life 3000 years ago? How did he get the technology?

Maybe we'll find out in Z. Otherwise, I have no idea.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Are they even in the same egg group? Because their body types are totally different from eachother... Maybe that might be it. However it would still be weird if nidorino and nidoking can breed... I don't think they did this on purpose, though...

They would be on the same egg group if they can breed.

The point is, why did GF made Nidorina and Nidoqueen unable to breed when there's absolutely no reason to do so. It's just a Nidoran evolution, and the Nidoran M evolution can breed........

Even weirder part, is the little Nidoran F. She CAN breed, unlike Nidorina and Nidoqueen.

Captain Jigglypuff

One thing I've noticed that has yet to be explained is why the Abandoned Chateau is haunted and why the inhabitants left a fully furnished house.

gamer_legend

One thing I've noticed that has yet to be explained is why the Abandoned Chateau is haunted and why the inhabitants left a fully furnished house.

Well the House was fully furnished but it wasn't in the best shape and it's never really explained whether this is due to disrepair or any kind of accident though given where ghost types usually appear in these games the latter wouldn't surprise me.

Then there's the strange house in B2W2 which is at least a little better explained and in fact made blatently obvious that Darkrai caused the girl into a nightmare which she couldn't wake up from.

Akashin

I assume you mean the Old Chateau, and if so, it's suggested that the chateau belonged to Charon. Why he left it or what happened there prior to him doing so isn't said, I don't think.

Why doesn't a chateau being abandoned make sense, though...?

gamer_legend

I assume you mean the Old Chateau, and if so, it's suggested that the chateau belonged to Charon. Why he left it or what happened there prior to him doing so isn't said, I don't think.

Why doesn't a chateau being abandoned make sense, though...?

If I had to guess it's probably because very much like the Luminous City Ghost Girl there are 2 Ghost Appearances in the Mansion with no context given. It may explain that Charon and Rotom lived there but it doesn't really go into context about what actually happened leaving it something of an unsolved mystery.

Speaking of Unsolved Mysteries there's also Pokemon XY in the Hotel Ricchisime there is Man with his son and a Marril who's says something about his wife going missing and this is never really explorered further. Also in XY in you guessed it Lumiose City there is a woman who awards you the destiny knot if you defeat her and I believe she says something about her husband either going missing or being murdered I honestly forget which.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
They would be on the same egg group if they can breed.

The point is, why did GF made Nidorina and Nidoqueen unable to breed when there's absolutely no reason to do so. It's just a Nidoran evolution, and the Nidoran M evolution can breed........

Even weirder part, is the little Nidoran F. She CAN breed, unlike Nidorina and Nidoqueen.

I completely agree, it's entirely illogical.

With legendaries it makes more sense as you wouldn't want players to get too many copies of these very powerful Pokémon.

But there is no logic with that, I think it could have been a glitch that still hasn't been fixed.

What about the fact AZ built a machine to bring pokemon to life 3000 years ago? How did he get the technology?

Maybe we'll find out in Z. Otherwise, I have no idea.

I'm not too surprised though, it's clear that the technology in the Pokémon World is more advanced than on our planet.

Ash was able to talk to Oak on a screen in the 1990s. That was long before Skype was invented, we do that all the time with Skype nowadays, sure. But back then I don't think there was any possible way.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
They probably just wanted to make something unique. I don't see any problem with it, as legendary status takes priority over gender.

Given how little in lore Heatran has, it was kind of necessary. Speaking of which...

Latias-Gendered, cannot breed
Heatran-Either gender, cannot breed
Manaphy-Genderless, can breed

WTF? How do you expect the kids playing the game to figure that out?

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Here is something that makes no sense to me.

It's the fact that Pokémon with 580 stat totals and about the same stats as a lot of non-legendary Pokémon actually take more effort to catch than Pokémon with 680 total.

You can find Mewtwo, Reshiram, Dialga, etc. just by going to a specific spot in the game, and all that's required is walk there. Sure there might be a few obstacles like strength boulders, but they're still easy to get around, they require almost no thought progress.

But with an exception of the legendaries in Pokémon Red, which are easy to get, the rest of them with 580 stats totals are either roaming Pokémon, or in case with the Regis need to be caught a certain way.

Why are Pokémon with worse stats more difficult to catch than the one with 680 stat total.

And I'm not referring to how often they break from the balls you're using. I'm referring to what you have to do to get the chance to fight them properly.

That of all things is what you are worried children won't figure out?

It's complicated strategies in competitive play they won't figure out. They can know the basics, but being fantastic at competitive play actually requires an adult, unless a kid is ridiculously smart.

Akashin

Here is something that makes no sense to me.

It's the fact that Pokémon with 580 stat totals and about the same stats as a lot of non-legendary Pokémon actually take more effort to catch than Pokémon with 680 total.

You can find Mewtwo, Reshiram, Dialga, etc. just by going to a specific spot in the game, and all that's required is walk there. Sure there might be a few obstacles like strength boulders, but they're still easy to get around, they require almost no thought progress.

But with an exception of the legendaries in Pokémon Red, which are easy to get, the rest of them with 580 stats totals are either roaming Pokémon, or in case with the Regis need to be caught a certain way.

Why are Pokémon with worse stats more difficult to catch than the one with 680 stat total.

And I'm not referring to how often they break from the balls you're using. I'm referring to what you have to do to get the chance to fight them properly.

You're equating strength with accessibility, and I'm not sure why.

And even then, the bigger Legendaries are difficult to encounter in most cases. The difference is that the requirements to do so are handed to you as part of the main story.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Given how little in lore Heatran has, it was kind of necessary. Speaking of which...

Latias-Gendered, cannot breed
Heatran-Either gender, cannot breed
Manaphy-Genderless, can breed

I always figured that for the most part, Legendaries not being able to breed is a rule of thumb. Manaphy however is received as an egg, which is sort of a hint saying, "hey, you should go and try to breed this to get another one of those special eggs."

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I always figured that for the most part, Legendaries not being able to breed is a rule of thumb. Manaphy however is received as an egg, which is sort of a hint saying, "hey, you should go and try to breed this to get another one of those special eggs."

I know why. But why, of all Pokemon to choose to be hatched and bred, was Manaphy chosen?

Captain Jigglypuff

Here's a good one: Why can't Rayquaza learn Sky Attack? I mean it is basically made for the attack and it lives in the ozone layer and has been known to fly into space as demonstrated in ORAS. So Game Freak is saying it can penetrate the Eath's atmosphere and survive the harsh conditions of space and for Dragon Ascent but not high enough for a simple Sky Attack?