• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Kangaskhan-Programmed to breed, despite its eggs still having the baby inside of them

I've always looked at that as a game limitation, rather than an actual fact. Sort of like Pokemon that live in water being able float above land when battling. If the game were more advanced (or the programmers cared enough), then Kangaskhan would be depicted differently. A less limited media (such as the anime) would show it more like it was intended.

Nidorina and Nidoqueen-Not programmed to breed, despite Nidoran Female being breedable

This is one of the few things that I will admit makes absolutely no sense. Though it's more of a problem with game mechanics than actual logic.

Yeah, and still, Mew has the DNA of all Pokémon, can use Transform like Ditto does and yet, still can't breed.

Mew doesn't have the DNA of all Pokemon, it is the ancestor of all Pokemon, and its DNA eventually evolved (in a Darwinian sense) into the DNA of all Pokemon. Probably it being able to use Transform is more of a superficial change when compared to Ditto using Transform, which is why they breed differently.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
What about how Heatran has both genders? I've always thought it was odd since it can't breed due to it being Legendary and also not like it even had a gender.

Maybe once it was common and was powerful, so it got the desires of Trainers. And so many caught that like one remains in the wild and it couldn't find a mate to breed with. And as a result, it 'evolved' to be unable to breed.

Jersey Jimmy

¿dónde está el FOUR DOLLA TUBA?
As a bit of a throwback, Lickitung couldn't learn lick in Gen I. Let me repeat that. LICKITUNG COULDN'T LEARN LICK IN GEN I.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
As a bit of a throwback, Lickitung couldn't learn lick in Gen I. Let me repeat that. LICKITUNG COULDN'T LEARN LICK IN GEN I.

Alright, here is something that truly makes no sense. I looked it up to make sure. What also makes little sense is that only Pokemon besides the Gastly line (which the move was created for) in Gen 1 was Jynx (and that has some creepy implications when you think about what Jynx is.)

Zapi

Hex Maniac
On the topic of weird Gen I things: I've never understood why the Dragon-type is programmed/stated to be weak to itself in R/B/Y, seeing as Dragon Rage - which always deals exactly 40 damage - was the only dragon-type move back then.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
On the topic of weird Gen I things: I've never understood why the Dragon-type is programmed/stated to be weak to itself in R/B/Y, seeing as Dragon Rage - which always deals exactly 40 damage - was the only dragon-type move back then.

They could've intended to introduce more Dragon types. We know that there are a number of things that were planned, yet never went through(for instance, thirty-nine Pokemon were intended). However by the time they wanted to release it, they only made one Dragon move. There was only one family of Dragon types, so they may not have had enough focus for it

Zapi

Hex Maniac
They could've intended to introduce more Dragon types. We know that there are a number of things that were planned, yet never went through(for instance, thirty-nine Pokemon were intended). However by the time they wanted to release it, they only made one Dragon move.
That's interesting, I didn't know about all of that.

Also, I've never fully understood why Ghost was a physical type before Gen IV. Other than the fact that the strongest Ghost-type move in Gens II/III, Shadow Ball, is pretty clearly not physical in any way, and that before Gen III every Ghost-type had higher Special Attack than Attack... it just doesn't make much sense from a flavor standpoint. When I think of ghosts, I think of them as incorporeal or intangible... "physical" is just about the last thing that comes to mind.

Red and Blue

How the hell can diglett/dugtrio learn slash, scratch, cut and yet posses no claws

That's interesting, I didn't know about all of that.

Also, I've never fully understood why Ghost was a physical type before Gen IV. Other than the fact that the strongest Ghost-type move in Gens II/III, Shadow Ball, is pretty clearly not physical in any way, and that before Gen III every Ghost-type had higher Special Attack than Attack... it just doesn't make much sense from a flavor standpoint. When I think of ghosts, I think of them as incorporeal or intangible... "physical" is just about the last thing that comes to mind.

True that, Shadow Ball is one thing that doesn't make sense. It is a physical attack in gens II/III and it still lowers the opponent's special defense. Apart from that, other damage dealing Ghost type moves back then were always physical- Lick, Astonish and Shadow Punch (which can be accepted as physical or contact moves). Even now, apart from Shadow Ball, Hex and Ominous Wind, there are no other Special Attacks (Night Shade doesn't count).

One argument can be that most Psychic type pokemon have solid Special Defense stats and these physical ghost moves offer the choice of coverage for other type pokemon, especially the early gens considering how OP Psychic types were, especially on physical attacking pokemon with low-average Special Defense.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
How the hell can diglett/dugtrio learn slash, scratch, cut and yet posses no claws

Who said that...? We have no idea what exists...right beneath the surface...

ghostnatsume

Budding Breeder
AIGHT.

So I don't know if this was mentioned in any of the 347 pages of this topic but...

What I never understood about the Pokemon world is how are all these 10 year olds allowed to run all around their region/continent unscathed? Like, imagine how most of us were as 10 years old...immature, naive, negligent...definitely not the personality traits of someone who is supposed to travel thousands of miles away from home, running into adults and evil organizations.

I also don't get how Ash is still 10 when if you calculate all the days that has passed in Pokemon (including the movies), he's supposed to be 16??? ((Sources: Tumblr, I didn't calculate this myself)). But that topic is best saved for somewhere else...

And lastly...the Pokemon fainting and not retaining enough damage to die? Like, I have such a realistic and gruesome viewpoint on some things, but are Pokemon only allowed to die of old age?? Like some Pokemon don't get so much damage that they don't come back from consciousness?

The Pokemon world was really constructed for a child-like audience, but these things really stump older Pokemon fans.

Cartoons and games need not make any sense, though here are my thoughts.

Let us assume that the young kids are protected by their Pokemon and the various Pokemon Centers around. The regions aren't too big either. Going on a journey is similar to being part of some school program in the Pokemon world.

Also, regarding Ash's age, there have been around 900 episodes and on an average let us say that the activities of 3-4 episodes usually make up for one day of the year. By that logic, there is still time for 365 days to finish. It makes total sense if we assume that the regions/countries Ash explores are comparable to cities in the real world.

I think Pokemon will never die after getting hit by another Pokemon's moves. Otherwise Grass types must cease to exist every time a flamethrower hits em. Ash himself is basically alive after his Charizard's numerous Flamethrowers and his Pikachu's Thunderbolts. Guess they die either of old age or are killed by man-made weapons or of some rogue legendary decides to use Oblivion Wing that consumes the soul instead of HP.

ghostnatsume

Budding Breeder
I can accept your opinion but I really wish I could find that post, it included the days passing in each of the episodes including in the movies too to calculate Ash's age. I'm probably viewing things too critically, but not at all instances can they be protected...some adults are creeps. Sometimes their Pokemon get stolen or the trainers themselves get captured. (thanks Team Rocket and other evil organizations haha).

Also, to me the regions seem rather large, especially with how the anime portrays them and also how they appear on actual maps (like the ones you see in the strategy guides). There is some definite distance I'd think, especially when characters in games speak of someone they know being in a faraway town and how they hadn't had the chance to see them in so long... (I think their was some NPCs in Pokemon D/P/Pt that discussed something like that).

I'm not trying to shoot down your opinion, but I was just clarifying myself. But I can roll with that view point on the Pokemon deaths. I completely forgot about Oblivion Wing!

I think the NPC was Jasmine from Olivine City, who told us that Jhoto was a faraway place. Though I get your point and I know my premise is pretty weak with regards to ageing and stuff and it's just my thinking. Basically, Ash's age should be at least 12-13 when you look at the anime time line, but since Pokémon isn't really a traditional anime, we are forced to accept it like a mainstream cartoon. I remember, Beyblade had clear ageing and growth spurts and Tyson could still become a champion. To keep the anime going, guess they have to reset Ash's age.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
What I never understood about the Pokemon world is how are all these 10 year olds allowed to run all around their region/continent unscathed? Like, imagine how most of us were as 10 years old...immature, naive, negligent...definitely not the personality traits of someone who is supposed to travel thousands of miles away from home, running into adults and evil organizations.

The Pokemon World is a different reality than ours. It was made to be the ideal place for children, meaning they are both more mature and the world around them is safer. Watching the show, I feel like it does a pretty good job at getting that point across.

I also don't get how Ash is still 10 when if you calculate all the days that has passed in Pokemon (including the movies), he's supposed to be 16??? ((Sources: Tumblr, I didn't calculate this myself)). But that topic is best saved for somewhere else...

It's a cartoon, a lot of cartoons have characters that don't age. I suppose you still can say it doesn't make sense, but it really isn't something worth worrying about, at least in my opinion.

And lastly...the Pokemon fainting and not retaining enough damage to die? Like, I have such a realistic and gruesome viewpoint on some things, but are Pokemon only allowed to die of old age?? Like some Pokemon don't get so much damage that they don't come back from consciousness?

Pokemon evolved (Speaking in a Darwinian fashion), to do one thing above all else, and that's to battle. In order to battle without taking fatal damage, they grew resistant to such damage.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I remember an early episode where Pikachu was afraid of a gun. First off, why would guns exist in this world? In this world, your puppy can act as a living flamethrower. Second, Pokemon are way stronger and deadlier than guns could ever be. Don't give me the excuse of "well Pokemon attacks are non-lethal"; of course Pikachu isn't going to give Team Rocket cardiac arrests, it's not a psychopath. Pokemon are usually docile and aren't going to kill people because they're in their territory. But if Mewtwo's slaughter or even Litwick's leeching is any indication, Pokemon can kill if they try. So if someone tried to shoot at Pikachu, Pikachu should just electroshock their brain into mush in self-defense

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I remember an early episode where Pikachu was afraid of a gun. First off, why would guns exist in this world? In this world, your puppy can act as a living flamethrower. Second, Pokemon are way stronger and deadlier than guns could ever be. Don't give me the excuse of "well Pokemon attacks are non-lethal"; of course Pikachu isn't going to give Team Rocket cardiac arrests, it's not a psychopath. Pokemon are usually docile and aren't going to kill people because they're in their territory. But if Mewtwo's slaughter or even Litwick's leeching is any indication, Pokemon can kill if they try. So if someone tried to shoot at Pikachu, Pikachu should just electroshock their brain into mush in self-defense

If you're arguing that Pikachu could kill in self-defense (which it doesn't even need to, a non-lethal burst of electricity would be enough to disarm a human), then that doesn't automatically mean it shouldn't be afraid. In real life, if to people with guns aimed at each other, each able to kill the other, they very much should be afraid of the other. Just because you have the means to defend yourself, doesn't mean you shouldn't be afraid.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Reaching for a gun while someone's breaking into your house in the middle of the night is much safer than calling out a pokemon attack or waking a living creature to attack.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I've never understood why the Old Chateu exists other than to get Ghost Pokemon early in the game. It is never explained how or why it was abandoned or who the ghost people are. Same for the Scary House in Kalos which literally has no real purpose other than for a scary story which isn't that frightening.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I've never understood why the Old Chateu exists other than to get Ghost Pokemon early in the game. It is never explained how or why it was abandoned or who the ghost people are. Same for the Scary House in Kalos which literally has no real purpose other than for a scary story which isn't that frightening.

Ghost-types aren't really your typical "late-game"-type pokémon. Sure, it took a while in R/B before you could actually catch Gastly and Misdreavus has never been on my team in Silver/Crystal for one obvious reason, but since then, they're easier to obtain. Heck, Gastly is right there in Silver for you to have before the very first gym in the Sprout Tower.

In GenIII, it's Sableye in the Dewford Cave, or you can evolve Nincada and have Shedinja. In GenIV, Drifloon is right there at the Valley Windworks on Friday and like you said, the Gastly-line in Azalea Forest. In GenV, Yamask is capturable before Burgh and in GenVI you can have Honedge before facing Grant.