• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Ghost-types aren't really your typical "late-game"-type pokémon. Sure, it took a while in R/B before you could actually catch Gastly and Misdreavus has never been on my team in Silver/Crystal for one obvious reason, but since then, they're easier to obtain. Heck, Gastly is right there in Silver for you to have before the very first gym in the Sprout Tower.

In GenIII, it's Sableye in the Dewford Cave, or you can evolve Nincada and have Shedinja. In GenIV, Drifloon is right there at the Valley Windworks on Friday and like you said, the Gastly-line in Azalea Forest. In GenV, Yamask is capturable before Burgh and in GenVI you can have Honedge before facing Grant.

I don't think that was his point so much as it's never really explained why there's an abandoned mansion in the middle of a forest, why it's full of ghost types, and who exactly the other ghosts are (the only one I can think of off the top of my head is the man in the dining room).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Reaching for a gun while someone's breaking into your house in the middle of the night is much safer than calling out a pokemon attack or waking a living creature to attack.

Huh; I never thought of that. I guess that Pikachu would probably be just as scared of a gun as he, say, if Dialga wanted to step on him

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Honestly it's clear that Pokemon can take extremely unrealistic amounts of punishment and survive. They can be slashed, crushed, burnt, frozen solid, electrocuted, choked, and thrown in the air and they'll be just fine after a day's rest. All things considered, it's difficult to say how a Pokemon would react to a life threatening situation because what exactly threatens a Pokemon's life? You're far less likely to survive being crushed by a rock slide or literally frozen solid than you are to survive a gunshot wound.

blob

Honestly it's clear that Pokemon can take extremely unrealistic amounts of punishment and survive. They can be slashed, crushed, burnt, frozen solid, electrocuted, choked, and thrown in the air and they'll be just fine after a day's rest. All things considered, it's difficult to say how a Pokemon would react to a life threatening situation because what exactly threatens a Pokemon's life? You're far less likely to survive being crushed by a rock slide or literally frozen solid than you are to survive a gunshot wound.

Their trainer getting the same amount of punishment.

Anyway, they were called magical creatures for a reason in Movie 12.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Their trainer getting the same amount of punishment.

Anyway, they were called magical creatures for a reason in Movie 12.

Even as far as that goes, don't people get hit by errant moves rather frequently in the movies/anime? I don't know, I don't watch them, but I'm fairly certain I've seen clips of Ash getting hit by various moves that, by all rights, should have at least left him horribly disfigured for the rest of his agony-filled life.

That's part of the point of cartoons (and yes, anime is a form of cartoon, people...) is that physics and similar real world laws need not apply, and it doesn't break canon because there really is no canon to break on the matter.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Even as far as that goes, don't people get hit by errant moves rather frequently in the movies/anime? I don't know, I don't watch them, but I'm fairly certain I've seen clips of Ash getting hit by various moves that, by all rights, should have at least left him horribly disfigured for the rest of his agony-filled life.

That's part of the point of cartoons (and yes, anime is a form of cartoon, people...) is that physics and similar real world laws need not apply, and it doesn't break canon because there really is no canon to break on the matter.

Humans are definitely more resilient in the Pokemon World. That's part of my theory as to why guns don't exist in the Pokemon world. There'd be no point because they wouldn't kill easily.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Humans are definitely more resilient in the Pokemon World. That's part of my theory as to why guns don't exist in the Pokemon world. There'd be no point because they wouldn't kill easily.

And the question of "why is Pikachu afraid of guns" circles over itself like an ouroboros

Akashin

Is there any significant basis for this, though? Humans being more resilient in the anime is just part of how cartoons work, as Divine Retribution pointed out; Ash enduring things like a Charizard's Flamethrower doesn't really mean we're meant to believe humans are genuinely more resilient in the Pokemon World on a general basis. And I can't think of any examples off the top of my head of this resilience being supported by the games.

Unless supported elsewhere I imagine we're meant to assume that in a serious situation (read: a situation where a human isn't being hurt as part of a gag) humans in the Pokemon World are no less human than humans in our world.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Is there any significant basis for this, though? Humans being more resilient in the anime is just part of how cartoons work, as Divine Retribution pointed out; Ash enduring things like a Charizard's Flamethrower doesn't really mean we're meant to believe humans are genuinely more resilient in the Pokemon World on a general basis. And I can't think of any examples off the top of my head of this resilience being supported by the games.

Unless supported elsewhere I imagine we're meant to assume that in a serious situation (read: a situation where a human isn't being hurt as part of a gag) humans in the Pokemon World are no less human than humans in our world.

And that's a fair enough assertion. Like I said, that was just my personal theory. I like to think of the anime as a portrayal of what Pokemon would be like if it were in a more organic setting than the games. As we see humans getting attacked by things that would normally kill, I see it more as Pokemon logic than cartoon logic. It also isn't that much of a stretch to believe that if Pokemon are more damage resistant that humans would be too. They did evolve (in a Darwinian sense) in the same world with the same pressures of natural selection. Obviously there were some differences, as humans turn out to become completely different from Pokemon, but some traits may still be shared. It also makes sense to think in such terms because it would explain why all the Team Rocket Grunts aren't carrying guns around with them instead of Pokemon. At least that's the way I see things.

It's also worth mentioning that the Pokemon World itself is a cartoon world. So even if people not dying comes from cartoon logic, it's still logic that applies to the Pokemon World.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The fact that, in the world of Pokemon, humans are still the dominant species. In our world, we only managed to become supreme because of our intelligence, and the technology it produced. In the world of Pokemon, there are Pokemon like Slowking, Alakazam or Metagross. They are more intelligent than humans, and far stronger. Why are these Pokemon not ruling the world instead of humans?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
The fact that, in the world of Pokemon, humans are still the dominant species. In our world, we only managed to become supreme because of our intelligence, and the technology it produced. In the world of Pokemon, there are Pokemon like Slowking, Alakazam or Metagross. They are more intelligent than humans, and far stronger. Why are these Pokemon not ruling the world instead of humans?

Opposable thumbs.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

And that is a really good question that I have devoted much thought to. If we want to assume that Darwinian evolution and natural selection are still factors in the Pokemon World (which we can assume they are, as Mew is the common ancestor of all terrestrial Pokemon), that leaves two options available for the existence of humans. Either humans evolved the same way there as they did here, meaning from normal animals. This would, of course, require that normal animals exist in World of Pokemon. While the early anime and some Pokedex descriptions to contain obscure references to real-world animals, I personally classify these as non-canon instances of fourth wall breaking. If normal animals existed, we would be seeing a whole lot more of them. The second possibility is that humans evolved from Pokemon. I see this as the likely scenario. If that is the case, that means at some point in history, evolutionary pressures caused humans to lose the abilities that would classify them as Pokemon. One thing to point out is that humans may not be the strongest, or even the smartest, but they do have one advantage over every Pokemon. They can use technology. It doesn't matter if an Alakazam is as smart as a supercomputer, it could never build one. It's a similar scenario to the dolphin. Some suggest that the dolphin is intelligent enough to build its own civilization. The only thing that holds it back is the fact that it is nearly impossible to create the necessary tools in an underwater environment. So I suggest that early in evolutionary history of the Pokemon World, the first proto-humans focused on the use of tools rather than the use of powers, leading to the hierarchy of Pokemon and humans seen today.

To draw upon another one of my theories (this one about the morality of Pokemon training), it is also possible that Pokemon, being the natural born battlers they are, respect the human ability to come up with strategy and plan ahead so much that they evolved to work with humans instead of against them, allowing humans to survive and become dominant.

Pikachu52

It's a good theory and certainly explains how Team Rocket can take electrocution after electrocution from Pikachu and fall from great heights without dying or suffering serious injury. However it's worth noting guns do exist in the Pokémon world. Rico had a rifle in "A poached ego," and Kaiser had a handgun in the banned episode "legend of Dratini." He even threatened Ash with it.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Why are these Pokemon not ruling the world instead of humans?

Maybe these Pokémon may have grown used to humans over time, eliminating competition between them and humans.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's a good theory and certainly explains how Team Rocket can take electrocution after electrocution from Pikachu and fall from great heights without dying or suffering serious injury. However it's worth noting guns do exist in the Pokémon world. Rico had a rifle in "A poached ego," and Kaiser had a handgun in the banned episode "legend of Dratini." He even threatened Ash with it.

Guns do exist, which makes the question of why they aren't used even more important. If we had never seen one, it could be written off as them never being invented, as Pokemon where the main engines of war. But as they do exist, we now need a reason they aren't used. That's why I suggest they do exist, but aren't as popular because it's easier and has about the same effects in the end to use a Pokemon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Opposable thumbs.

Alakazam can hold spoons. Just because they don't have thumbs doesn't mean they can't be just a dextrous(if not more) than us. Slowking could easily move things around with psychic powers

M.P.

Retired
The fact that Abra, Kadabra and Alakazam haven't appeared in the anime after the Sinnoh season (apart from that Mega Evolution special), and in TCG after D&P sets, apparently because of the Uri Geller incident. Nintendo won the lawsuit against him, so why does it still prevent Abra, Kadabra and Alakazam from appearing in anime or TCG? It really doesn't make any sense to me.

NotoriousHD

The Pokemon Universe is direct towards kids. Things are hyped with a meaning of significance. We've seen buildings leveled and powers of legend hyped up that could destroy the world... With the exception of Gen1 mother marowak - no character or Pokemon has ever died. There is no repercussion or damage because it would open up a can of worms in the Pokemon world.

Topics such as death, which is referenced (AZ's Floette, pokemon wars etc...), are not going to get airtime on a kids show. Topics like death will only ever be glossed over. It's as simple as that.

NotoriousHD

The Pokemon Universe is direct towards kids. Things are hyped with a meaning of significance. We've seen buildings leveled and powers of legend hyped up that could destroy the world... With the exception of Gen1 mother marowak - no character or Pokemon has ever died. There is no repercussion or damage because it would open up a can of worms in the Pokemon world.

Topics such as death, which is referenced (AZ's Floette, pokemon wars etc...), are not going to get airtime on a kids show. Topics like death will only ever be glossed over. It's as simple as that.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
The move Acid has no effect on steel types. I thought acid could melt through steel. Makes no sense for steel to be immune to that attack.