• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
It could be a subtle reference to Santa Claus, its inspiration. Santa has to be well awake and active to deliver all those Christmas presents and spend so much time determining presents. As such, Delibird reflects this by two of its abilities preventing sleep.

Why it has Hustle, however, I dunno

Because the whole thing of Santa having to deliver presents to billions of kids in a single night across the planet? You would think one would have to work quite fast to do such a feat.

Luthor

I'll give them a pass on Solar Power damaging it, as it is literally a solar-powered Pokémon, so it kind of needed to have that ability, but otherwise I completely agree with you. If anything, Solar Power should be one of its normal abilities instead of a Hidden Ability. What I find even odder is that they can learn neither Sunny Day or Solar Beam. Here we have two Pokémon that literally absorb light from the Sun and convert it into energy, and yet they can't learn an attack that does exactly that. I honestly want to know what Game Freak was thinking when they designed Helioptile and Heliolisk.

Admittedly solar power does make the most sense out of the three abilities.

I suppose they didn't choose Chlorophyll because it isn't a plant.

They easily could have given it a new ability that benefits from sun. Even if they decided no new abilities giving it non weather related ones instead of ones that benefit from other weather conditions would make more sense like intimidate and have it's only weather one relate to the sun, or they could have even made it a drought pokemon and just given it more moves that benefit in the sun like solar beam and flamethrower.

alexterri

I've always found it weird how the player character cant run without running shoes. It actually is possible to run in normal shoes, y'know.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I've always found it weird how the player character cant run without running shoes. It actually is possible to run in normal shoes, y'know.

Maybe they just don't want to because they find normal shoes uncomfortable to run in. Or maybe they don't see any reason to run until they get the running shoes.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I don't get why Solrock and Lunatone weren't part of the Alola Dex. They're the original sun and moon Pokemon, why wouldn't they appear?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't get why Solrock and Lunatone weren't part of the Alola Dex. They're the original sun and moon Pokemon, why wouldn't they appear?

Because that's merely a superficial connection that Game Freak didn't see the need to capitalize on.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
here's a head scratcher. when a pokemon with levitate uses dig, they are still immune to EQ/ground moves even though they're under the ground LOL.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
here's a head scratcher. when a pokemon with levitate uses dig, they are still immune to EQ/ground moves even though they're under the ground LOL.

I've always thought that was more of a quirk of programming than an actual intended result. Game Freak just hasn't bothered to fix it yet.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I've always thought that was more of a quirk of programming than an actual intended result. Game Freak just hasn't bothered to fix it yet.

which ever the reason is its still very funny. EQ on a pkmn in the ground does 200 power than normal 100 BP. it would make sense that anything dug into the ground would get some sort of damage.

Akashin

which ever the reason is its still very funny. EQ on a pkmn in the ground does 200 power than normal 100 BP. it would make sense that anything dug into the ground would get some sort of damage.

If and when this gets addressed, it would be nice if they made it so that Roost actually did something to Pokemon with Levitate, too. Why it only removes Flying type and doesn't just make the Pokemon grounded is beyond me.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If and when this gets addressed, it would be nice if they made it so that Roost actually did something to Pokemon with Levitate, too. Why it only removes Flying type and doesn't just make the Pokemon grounded is beyond me.

Perhaps because a Pokémon with Levitate is floating free of its will, so even when it rests, it still floats.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Mr Bonding doesn't make much sense to be honest. But it's fun so it's fine.

The fact he's created by men fusing together is very confusing and bizarre even by Pokemon standards. What the Torn World IS he?!

nel3

Crimson Dragon

Perhaps because a Pokémon with Levitate is floating free of its will, so even when it rests, it still floats.

im not sure about roost removing the ability of levitate for that turn but it could make sense if the pkmn has actual wings to keep it off the ground. magneton line, nosepass, bronzong etc all seem to float 24/7 even if they dont have the ability levitate.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
The fact he's created by men fusing together is very confusing and bizarre even by Pokemon standards. What the Torn World IS he?!

And where did THEY come from? And are they related to the alien guy in SM?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Admittedly solar power does make the most sense out of the three abilities.

They easily could have given it a new ability that benefits from sun. Even if they decided no new abilities giving it non weather related ones instead of ones that benefit from other weather conditions would make more sense like intimidate and have it's only weather one relate to the sun, or they could have even made it a drought pokemon and just given it more moves that benefit in the sun like solar beam and flamethrower.

Intimidate would have made a lot of sense for Helioptile, I'd be intimidated if he fanned out out of no where!

it's funny because I was hoping there were rollarblades and it'd honestly fix that issue imo.

OOOH that makes sense, I thought it was that they grounded you but if they're making you lose the flying type, that is nice to know.

im not sure about roost removing the ability of levitate for that turn but it could make sense if the pkmn has actual wings to keep it off the ground. magneton line, nosepass, bronzong etc all seem to float 24/7 even if they dont have the ability levitate.

ooo do they sleep floating too then I guess? Well I guess roosting implies sleeping, and if they sleep floating then not losing levitate makes total sense imo.

But one thing I don't get is the standards on levitate... like no one is being fooled that vibrava and flygon aren't on the ground... chingling shouldn't have it either as it hops along the ground, I could see chimeco with it though, stronger psychic powers to keep it floating, but still idk.
Hydreigon no way should have gotten levitate, does it honestly float forever!? Same with Vikavolt, like come on. Even the latios, latias line too. It seems like they tried to clean it up with the likes of Gengar and what not, who would've made this list has GF not taken away that ability for him. I like when abilities match the pokemon, if not it bugs me.

If anything they should have made an ability called hover that "during battle ground types moves have half accuracy when targeting this pokemon but electric type moves have max accuracy" or something along those lines.

I'm just being picky, but those are small details I would have enjoyed a line between.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If Charjabug is a battery Pokemon, why can't it learn Explosion? Batteries can explode in real life.

The best reason is that if they taught it to Charjabug, that means that Vikavolt would also be able to learn it by extension, and there's not really any reason that Vikavolt should be using Explosion.

But one thing I don't get is the standards on levitate... like no one is being fooled that vibrava and flygon aren't on the ground... chingling shouldn't have it either as it hops along the ground, I could see chimeco with it though, stronger psychic powers to keep it floating, but still idk.
Hydreigon no way should have gotten levitate, does it honestly float forever!? Same with Vikavolt, like come on. Even the latios, latias line too. It seems like they tried to clean it up with the likes of Gengar and what not, who would've made this list has GF not taken away that ability for him. I like when abilities match the pokemon, if not it bugs me.

If anything they should have made an ability called hover that "during battle ground types moves have half accuracy when targeting this pokemon but electric type moves have max accuracy" or something along those lines.

I'm just being picky, but those are small details I would have enjoyed a line between.

Essentially, Levitate is the catch-all ability for Pokémon who are in the air and can't be hit by Ground-Type moves, but aren't part Flying-Type. Vibrava, Flygon, Hydreigon, and Vikavolt being the clearest example of that. It was originally only designed for Pokémon that actually floated but, but when they wanted a way for the previously mentioned Pokémon to "fly," they gave them Levitate, because it was the best they could do. Personally, I've always thought that immunity to Ground-Type moves should be a Pokémon-specific quality, instead of a type/ability quality. That way Pokémon like Magnemite, who should be immune to Ground-Type could be, Pokémon like Hydreigon wouldn't need to have Levitate as a nonsensical ability, and Pokémon like Dodrio, that can't fly, would be able to be hit by Ground-Type moves. It would solve three major logic issues all in one.