• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
Looker's police detective agency exists in a world with apparently no government
Who says there's no government? Just because we don't see them, doesn't mean they don't exist. Nothing in Pokémon, whether it be games, anime, or otherwise, has ever implied that there's no government in the Pokémon World.

And there is confirmed to be a government since there's a government building in Hau'oli city. It'd called the Hau'oli city hall.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedJirachi said:
Looker's police detective agency exists in a world with apparently no government

While that doesn't necessarily bother me since I'm sure there's a government system in the Pokemon World that we just don't see in the games, I've always found it frustrating that Handsome (Looker) doesn't really do that much to stop villains himself. He pretty much relies on us to get his assignments done: he's almost as inessential as Junsa (Jenny) from the Pokemon anime.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
While that doesn't necessarily bother me since I'm sure there's a government system in the Pokemon World that we just don't see in the games, I've always found it frustrating that Handsome (Looker) doesn't really do that much to stop villains himself. He pretty much relies on us to get his assignments done: he's almost as inessential as Junsa (Jenny) from the Pokemon anime.

It's not really a matter of Looker relying on anyone to do his job for him, so much as it the player just getting it done first. Really, the only reason the player character is so important to the plot of Pokémon games is that they're at the right place at the right time. If the player wasn't there to stumble in the way of the villains' plans, then Looker, and other police, would likely be doing much more.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The police are extraordinarily incompetent if every time some no name kid has to stop the evil team because "muh protagonist status"

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The police are extraordinarily incompetent if every time some no name kid has to stop the evil team because "muh protagonist status"

Not necessarily. Aside from Team Skull and Team Yell, who don't really have any evil schemes to stop anyways, the evil teams are above the scope that ordinary police are trained to handle. It takes more than ordinary police to take down a powerful, wide-spread, cult-like organization with both plans and the means to destroy/takeover/change the world. Not being able to stop them doesn't make the police incompetent.

Orphalesion

Not sure if this is the right thread, but...

In Gen 1. the Celadon Game Corner is run by Team Rocket, it's even called Rocket Game Corner. There you can spend copious amounts of money on gambling and they sell you rare Pokemon for coins.

Team Rocket steals and poaches rare Pokemon in order to sell them...

Are the Pokemon you get from the Rocket Game Corner stolen/poached??? Are there so few Dratinis in Kanto because Team Rocket hunted them to extinction everywhere but the Safari Zone (where they are, presumably protected) so that they can sell them in their gambling establishment???

NeedsAName

In Gen 1. the Celadon Game Corner is run by Team Rocket, it's even called Rocket Game Corner. There you can spend copious amounts of money on gambling and they sell you rare Pokemon for coins.

Are the Pokemon you get from the Rocket Game Corner stolen/poached??? Are there so few Dratinis in Kanto because Team Rocket hunted them to extinction everywhere but the Safari Zone (where they are, presumably protected) so that they can sell them in their gambling establishment???

Probably not the right thread, but that poaching thing is a HORRIBLE realization! I need to go release a Porygon or two...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Orphalesion said:

I had assumed that the Pokemon that they used for prizes were poached from the wild, because it would seem a little strange to me if they were only able to steal about half a dozen species of Pokemon from trainers, unless they just keep the rest for themselves.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
It's probably already been mentioned, but I don't get how Magneton has ten times the weight of Magnemite when it's literally three Magnemite stuck together. Are the Magnemite stuck together because they're really overweight or something? Actually, that'd be kind of funny.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:
Gastly can learn all 3 despite no hands.

I hadn't noticed that it can use the elemental punches, although perhaps we're supposed to believe that it can shape-shift parts of its gaseous body into fists. I also remember that Digda (Diglett) could learn Scratch despite having no visible appendages.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:
Speaking of Pokemon being unable to learn moves. By TR56 quite a few new pokemon can learn Aura sphere. Two pokemon that gain this are Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. Oddly though Hitmontop does not.

To be frank, I wish that Aura Sphere had been an exclusive move known only to Riolu and Lucario. I remember that certain Pokemon like Togekiss, Dialga, and Palkia were somehow capable of learning it in Gen IV and quite a few other Pokemon gained that attack in later generations, which I always thought was a bit strange since the aura concept started with Lucario. I just think it should've remained exclusive to the Lucario line.

Luthor

To be frank, I wish that Aura Sphere had been an exclusive move known only to Riolu and Lucario. I remember that certain Pokemon like Togekiss, Dialga, and Palkia were somehow capable of learning it in Gen IV and quite a few other Pokemon gained that attack in later generations, which I always thought was a bit strange since the aura concept started with Lucario. I just think it should've remained exclusive to the Lucario line.

I think for most of the gen 4 pokemon that got it they were the sort of pokemon I'd expect to see with the move as they are either legendary or the sort of pokemon I'd expect to manipulate aura. Why Arceus doesn't get it despite the creation trio getting it is quite odd.

Speaking of other odd aura sphere for me , one that does get it later is Meinfoo. As an unevolved pokemon with weak special attack that's not particularly affiliated with aura nor legendary has always seemed odd for me.

Last edited:

NeedsAName

Arctozolt doesn't get Ice Punch. I wouldn't find this odd but it learns mega punch and thunder punch so ice punch seems something it should be capable of even without being a partial ice type which it is.

Þat is annoying, but maybe it's a bit justified since Arctozolt's hands aren't icy? Þat's its electric part, so it gets Þunder Punch and not Ice Punch.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Arctozolt doesn't get Ice Punch. I wouldn't find this odd but it learns mega punch and thunder punch so ice punch seems something it should be capable of even without being a partial ice type which it is.

It actually makes a lot of sense, if you think about it. Since Arctozolt is formed from two separate Pokémon, it stands to reason that each one would have had their own move set originally, which were combined to form the moveset of Arctozolt. Since the fists of Arctozolt come from the "Zolt" half, there's no reason for it to learn Ice Punch, especially since the the "Arcto" half probably couldn't use Ice Punch either, as it likely had fins instead of fists. Basically, neither of the component halves would be able to use Ice Punch themselves, so the combined version shouldn't be able to either.

It's little details like this that show that Game Freak doesn't just slap moves on to a Pokémon willy-nilly. They come up with logic and reasons behind every move (for the most part).

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
It actually makes a lot of sense, if you think about it. Since Arctozolt is formed from two separate Pokémon, it stands to reason that each one would have had their own move set originally, which were combined to form the moveset of Arctozolt. Since the fists of Arctozolt come from the "Zolt" half, there's no reason for it to learn Ice Punch, especially since the the "Arcto" half probably couldn't use Ice Punch either, as it likely had fins instead of fists. Basically, neither of the component halves would be able to use Ice Punch themselves, so the combined version shouldn't be able to either.

It's little details like this that show that Game Freak doesn't just slap moves on to a Pokémon willy-nilly. They come up with logic and reasons behind every move (for the most part).
The Electric half still could possibly use IcePunch. I mean Electabuzz could learn it and there is absolutely nothing icy about it.

NeedsAName

The Electric half still could possibly use IcePunch. I mean Electabuzz could learn it and there is absolutely nothing icy about it.

Gastly can learn Ice punch wiÞ no arms but Kyurem wiÞ a literal fist made of ice can't learn Ice Punch. Lickitung couldn't originally learn Lick. Pokémon learnsets don't make sense and never have.

Last edited: