• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Aside from a few gameplay explanations, how about why no Gen 1 Pokémon got the Dark type in Gen 2?
  • When Gen 6 came around, some returning Pokémon got the new Fairy type, like Clefairy.
  • When Gen 2 came around, some returning Pokémon got the new Steel type, like Magnemite.
  • When Gen 2 also came around, ONLY the move Bite changed from Normal to Dark. No returning Pokémon got the Dark type, at the time.

The two that gained a steel typing pretty much had to be due to their physiology. They were literally made of metal. There really isn't anything from the first gen that screamed dark, except maybe Arbok. There was nothing that absolutely needed to be dark like Magnemite and Magneton needed to be steel.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Aside from a few gameplay explanations, how about why no Gen 1 Pokémon got the Dark type in Gen 2?
  • When Gen 6 came around, some returning Pokémon got the new Fairy type, like Clefairy.
  • When Gen 2 came around, some returning Pokémon got the new Steel type, like Magnemite.
  • When Gen 2 also came around, ONLY the move Bite changed from Normal to Dark. No returning Pokémon got the Dark type, at the time.

Is there any reason why there needed to be a Pokémon that became a Dark-Type? Pokémon gained Steel and Fairy-Types because the Pokémon fit the type and it made sense to change them. Nothing in Kanto needed to be made into a Dark-Type, so nothing was. What wouldn't make sense would be to force something to become a Dark-Type when it didn't have a good reason to change.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Yeah I always felt it was a wasted opportunity to not change some into Dark Types considering how rare it is to get on in Johto (Umbreon and Sneasel in Crystal being the only available ones pre E4 iirc) and a lot would fit seemingly well. At least they somewhat took a chance with Megas and regional forms.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Bguy7 said:
Nothing in Kanto needed to be made into a Dark-Type, so nothing was. What wouldn't make sense would be to force something to become a Dark-Type when it didn't have a good reason to change.

I don't know about "need" since that's subjective, but there were a few Pokemon in Gen I that could've become part Dark-type in Gen II based on their behaviors and characteristics mention in their Gen I Zukan (Pokedex) entries. For instance Nyasu (Meowth) was implied to be nocturnal in one of its Gen I Zukan entries, so that could've easily been justification for the species to become half Dark, on top of the species being known for being sneaky. And yes, I realize that the species did eventually receive a Dark-type regional variant in Gen VII.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't know about "need" since that's subjective, but there were a few Pokemon in Gen I that could've become part Dark-type in Gen II based on their behaviors and characteristics mention in their Gen I Zukan (Pokedex) entries. For instance Nyasu (Meowth) was implied to be nocturnal in one of its Gen I Zukan entries, so that could've easily been justification for the species to become half Dark, on top of the species being known for being sneaky. And yes, I realize that the species did eventually receive a Dark-type regional variant in Gen VII.

Maybe they could have forced some stuff to be Dark-Type, but that's not the point I'm making. The original post I was responding to made the claim that Kanto not getting any Dark-Types didn't make any sense, and that's just not the case. It makes perfect sense, as there are no Pokémon that needed it, unlike the Steel-Type with Magnemite.

As an aside, if you don't mind me asking, why do you use the Japanese names on an English forum? Do you play the games in Japanese? Since you put the English names in parenthesis anyways, wouldn't it just be easier to use the English names to begin with?

MrJechgo

Maybe they could have forced some stuff to be Dark-Type, but that's not the point I'm making. The original post I was responding to made the claim that Kanto not getting any Dark-Types didn't make any sense, and that's just not the case. It makes perfect sense, as there are no Pokémon that needed it, unlike the Steel-Type with Magnemite.
Arbok and Gyarados comes to mind though...

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Arbok and Gyarados comes to mind though...

That's still not the point he is trying to make. Due to Magnemite's and Magneton's bodies, they needed to be steel type. If Magnemite and Magneton weren't made steel type, there would be too many questions, as they are made of metal. Nothing needed to be dark type. Those two may come to mind as potential dark types, but you can look at them and see why they aren't. There's nothing that nearly requires them to be dark, so there was no reason to make them dark.

You also talk about the Fairy type earlier, but it shouldn't be in the argument at all. When the Fairy type was introduced, there were 649 existing Pokemon, which may cause some issues when many of them are heavily based off fairies or have a fairy-like appeal to them. When dark was introduced, there were 151 preexisting Pokemon, and none were inherently "dark" feeling, unlike the fairy type.

Last edited:

MrJechgo

That's still not the point he is trying to make. Due to Magnemite's and Magneton's bodies, they needed to be steel type. If Magnemite and Magneton weren't made steel type, there would be too many questions, as they are made of metal. Nothing needed to be dark type. Those two may come to mind as potential dark types, but you can look at them and see why they aren't. There's nothing that nearly requires them to be dark, so there was no reason to make them dark.
You're right, there was no necessity for have retypings for Gen 1 Pokémon... but it is still something that could have been done, just like how some Pokémon got the Steel type.

MrJechgo

All that is Dark about Arbok is it is a snake which is commonly associated with evil and villainy.
Well...
  • Murkrow and Honchkrow are based on 1930 criminals.
  • Sneasel and Weavile are based on a nefarious Yokai.
  • Houndour and Houmdoom are inspired by the Cerberus and infernal guard dogs.
  • Tyranitar is based on Godzilla and other destructive kaijus.
  • Umbreon is... the only Dark type based on the night itself.
Dark types are often inspired by evil and villainous creatures. The only one that isn't the case is Greninja, mostly because it was based on a ninja. Ninjas weren't necessarily evil, just very stealthy and mostly operated in the dark. Greninja is... kinda similar to Umbreon, representing nocturnal creatures/beings more than evil ones.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
As I said I don't watch the anime, that includes SM. I know I sometimes said that I was waiting for an episode where they painted TR's Meowth purple to impersonate an Alolan one, but that was really just me making a jab at how lazy I found A.Meowth's design :p
LOL that's fair, I was more active during SM times and thought I remembered you commenting on the anime SM threads regarding liking popplio's line but maybe it was the SM game threads that I'm thinking of!

Well...
  • Murkrow and Honchkrow are based on 1930 criminals.
  • Sneasel and Weavile are based on a nefarious Yokai.
  • Houndour and Houmdoom are inspired by the Cerberus and infernal guard dogs.
  • Tyranitar is based on Godzilla and other destructive kaijus.
  • Umbreon is... the only Dark type based on the night itself.
Dark types are often inspired by evil and villainous creatures. The only one that isn't the case is Greninja, mostly because it was based on a ninja. Ninjas weren't necessarily evil, just very stealthy and mostly operated in the dark. Greninja is... kinda similar to Umbreon, representing nocturnal creatures/beings more than evil ones.
Although I agree with the lack of need for gen1 pokemon to be dark type and none of them really necessitate the need for the change unlike as everybody was saying,
I would argue that pokemon like stunky line being dark would have the same reasoning if Zubat's line was turned into dark type instead of flying type. I think with some pokemon created after gen 1 being dark for certain reasons could have fit with certain gen1 pokemon too for the same reasons, but I am happy with how things are.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I just think that the Dark-type was rather under-represented in G/S/C's main storyline since there were only one or two Dark-types available in Jouto before the post-game. A lot of things about G/S/C were unbalanced, but the type distribution bothered me the most.

Last edited:

MrJechgo

Although I agree with the lack of need for gen1 pokemon to be dark type and none of them really necessitate the need for the change unlike as everybody was saying, I would argue that pokemon like stunky line being dark would have the same reasoning if Zubat's line was turned into dark type instead of flying type. I think with some pokemon created after gen 1 being dark for certain reasons could have fit with certain gen1 pokemon too for the same reasons, but I am happy with how things are.
No, skunks ARE evil when they spray you with a musk that takes forever to remove XD. I would agree with the Zubat line. Being Dark/Flying would have worked a bit better.

I just think that the Dark-type was rather under-represented in G/S/C's main storyline since there were only one or two Dark-types available in Jouto before the post-game. A lot of things about G/S/C were unbalanced, but the type distribution bothered me the most.
Psychic and Ghost types were pretty powerful in Gens 1 and 2, so I guess they wanted you to work for Pokémon that were effective against them.

I mean, Dragon was also pretty powerful, but Water types could easily learn Ice moves, and Dragon Breath, Outrage and Twister were added to provide actual coverage, since Dragon Rage dealt a flat 40 hp. Ghost types had to rely on... Lick to be effective against Psychic... and it didn't help that the Ghastly line was also Poison typed :p Bug had... Leech Life (before Gen 7's boost), Twineedle, Pin Missile, Fury Cutter and Megahorn to counter Psychic, which ranged from very bad attacks to very unreliable strong one XD

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You're right, there was no necessity for have retypings for Gen 1 Pokémon... but it is still something that could have been done, just like how some Pokémon got the Steel type.

Okay, that's a perfectly acceptable opinion (even if I don't agree with it myself), but this thread is literally titled "Things in the Pokémon World that Just Don't Make Sense." Regardless of whether or not it's something they could have done, if there was no need for it to happen, that means that everything made perfect sense. Everything is perfectly logical, so that point didn't belong in this thread to begin with, that's all.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Where are the restrooms?

This one comes up a lot in this thread, and my answer is always the same. The world we see in the games is a clearly a limited window into what would actually be the world of Pokémon, hindered by game restrictions. It's plainly obvious that you can't take things we see in the games literally. For example, there's no way that actual Pokémon battles would really be turn-based. It wouldn't make sense for an opponent to sit around and wait for their target to make a move before attacking. Turn-based combat is a restriction imposed for the sake of the game. Similarly, it would be a waste of time and resources to make sure that every building had a bathroom in it. So we must assume that there are bathrooms, we just don't see them due to game limitations (and taste). What we see in the games is not the same as what we would see in the Pokémon world.