• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I know this is one of the most outplayed jokes for the series but the inconsistency of what a child can or can't do is so bizarre. It's not even strictly to the MC either

MrJechgo

The fact that Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny have a LOT of twin sisters... when biologically speaking, I have yet to see one mother giving birth to around 20 children at once, let alone 2 XDD Speaking of Joy, I... recall seeing only ONE younger nurse and ONE elder nurse in the entire anime.

I get that it's a joke due to how they used the same sprites/characters in all towns to save resources, but still...

Luthor

The fact that Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny have a LOT of twin sisters... when biologically speaking, I have yet to see one mother giving birth to around 20 children at once, let alone 2 XDD Speaking of Joy, I... recall seeing only ONE younger nurse and ONE elder nurse in the entire anime.

I get that it's a joke due to how they used the same sprites/characters in all towns to save resources, but still...

Some of them aren't even siblings the Valencia Island Nurse Joy stated that she was the second cousin of the sister-in-law of the Saffron City Nurse Joy. We did meet children of a Nurse Joy named Marnie Frances Lynnette Joy & Paige Frances Lynnelle Joy and their father and mother (who were married) it seems like the Joy part of the the name is kept even in the case of marriage.

Are you all looking for sense in the pokemon world?

If that world had any sense, alakazams would be using us as slaves hahaha

Luthor

How the hell in-laws share similar genetics?

No Idea I guess they both connected into the same family by marriage but were already related...... I guess??

My Headcanon is that all the Nurse Joys, Officer Jennys, Don Georges and Porters were all clones and the relations apart from the 1 husband we saw are fabricated but I admit there's no real basis beyond that just being simpler.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Maybe part of the job is cosplaying and most are good at it

Poison type weaknesses never made sense to me. Why are they weak to Ground and Psychic types?

Orphalesion

My Headcanon is that all the Nurse Joys, Officer Jennys, Don Georges and Porters were all clones and the relations apart from the 1 husband we saw are fabricated but I admit there's no real basis beyond that just being simpler.

Maybe part of the job is cosplaying and most are good at it

Better yet, if you apply for any of those jobs in the Pokemon Universe you get taken to an evil government facility where they brainwash you and give you cosmetic surgery to turn you into another identical Joy/Jenny/George/Porter. Like the Joo Dees in Avatar, only more advanced.

Poison type weaknesses never made sense to me. Why are they weak to Ground and Psychic types?

My personal explanations for that always were:

Psychic: with intelligence and knowledge you can find the right antidote for a poison.
Ground: Pouring poison into dirt dilutes it and makes it less deadly (though as a child I also thought water would be SE against poison for that reason)

Luthor

Umbreon is mentioned in the pokedex to have poisonous traits. Its sword pokedex entry is " When this Pokémon becomes angry, its pores secrete a poisonous sweat, which it sprays at its opponent's eyes." and yet can't learn a single poison move by level up which is odd. In sword and shield its even weirder than previous games to mention this as it can no longer learn toxic (or any other poison moves). Why does the dex focus on this?

MrJechgo

Umbreon is mentioned in the pokedex to have poisonous traits. Its sword pokedex entry is " When this Pokémon becomes angry, its pores secrete a poisonous sweat, which it sprays at its opponent's eyes." and yet can't learn a single poison move by level up which is odd. In sword and shield its even weirder than previous games to mention this as it can no longer learn toxic (or any other poison moves). Why does the dex focus on this?
Sounds similar to how Eevee used to "react only to stones" to "react to different evolution methods". Maybe over time some text got reworked or better translated.

NeedsAName

Umbreon was originally intended as a Poison-type

Luthor

Sounds similar to how Eevee used to "react only to stones" to "react to different evolution methods". Maybe over time some text got reworked or better translated.

Umbreon was originally intended as a Poison-type

While those makes sense and I wouldn't question it for the dex entries in early games. The fact its mentioned in a more modern entry in the most recent game where it can no longer learn any relevant move even by TM. It makes it an odd thing for the Galar dex to mention.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:
While those makes sense and I wouldn't question it for the dex entries in early games. The fact its mentioned in a more modern entry in the most recent game where it can no longer learn any relevant move even by TM. It makes it an odd thing for the Galar dex to mention.

I personally just assumed that it was leftover information from the Gold/Silver beta that Game Freak didn't bother to update after Gen II, or that they simply didn't remember that they originally used that information for Blacky's (Umbreon's) old Zukan (Pokedex) entry and continued using that information by accident.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I personally just assumed that it was leftover information from the Gold/Silver beta that Game Freak didn't bother to update after Gen II, or that they simply didn't remember that they originally used that information for Blacky's (Umbreon's) old Zukan (Pokedex) entry and continued using that information by accident.
Hydreigon had the same exact Dex entries for XY as it did for BW2 even though it was a part of the Mountain Kalos Dex.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Am I the only one who's glad that it got a type change in the final versions of Gold and Silver? Being Dark typed suits Umbreon soooooo much better than its beta Poison typing.
I think it was a good change as it helped increase the number of Dark types in Gen II and the yellow markings do look more like moons than anything poisonous. Plus it’s coloration is far better suited for the Dark typing.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pokefan_1987 said:
Makes me wonder about the reason it has blades for arms and yet it can't Leaf Blade.

It might have something to do with it not being able to learn Grass-type moves in general [at least not any that I can remember]. But I do think it's odd that it can't learn Fly despite it being able to learn other Flying-type moves like Wing Attack and Aerial Ace, the former of which requires wings.