• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that annoy you in the XY Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eruantiel

As the title says. I watch the English version, so don't know if its the same in the Japanese version.

Bonnie:
I find Bonnie extremely annoying in the anime. Her voice, her character, and the way she acts. I actually prefer Iris over her (That is saying a lot!) and would much rather listen to Iris' catchphrase of calling Ash "Such a kid" than listen to Bonnie's annoying childish squeaky dialogue.

Ash:
His constant catchphrase "Science is soooo amazing" even though Clemont's inventions keeps on failing.

Clemont:
His inventions constantly failing. Its like every time he pulls out a new invention, you already know how it will end.

Team Rocket:
Same old same old. I actually loved their story in Black and White, where they did something separate from just trying to steal Pikachu each episode, failing and then blasting off into the Unown (pun intended)

I know it is aimed at a "younger" audience, but Ive been watching since I was young, and some of these things really annoy me in the new Season.

Some of these things are simply "Not Remarkable", as Mr. Sukizo would say.

Anyway, so what do you find annoying?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Ash and Team Rocket and all the focus they get and take away from other characters so far.

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.
Things that annoy me are the fact that Team Rocket are just plain annoying since they'll never amount to anything, waste time, and more. Bonnie is also annoying with her little depth as a character, Serena not being active enough is also annoying, Pikachu being used in all the gyms is also annoying, and I think that's about it, oh wait Korrina's arc was plain on, very unimportant and should've been a special of an hour or so instead of being 4-5 episodes. Also worth a mention, the dub! From the scripts, episode names, BGM, music, etc, it's all terrible.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
As the title says. I watch the English version, so don't know if its the same in the Japanese version.

Bonnie:
I find Bonnie extremely annoying in the anime. Her voice, her character, and the way she acts. I actually prefer Iris over her (That is saying a lot!) and would much rather listen to Iris' catchphrase of calling Ash "Such a kid" than listen to Bonnie's annoying childish squeaky dialogue.

Ash:
His constant catchphrase "Science is soooo amazing" even though Clemont's inventions keeps on failing.

Clemont:
His inventions constantly failing. Its like every time he pulls out a new invention, you already know how it will end.

Team Rocket:
Same old same old. I actually loved their story in Black and White, where they did something separate from just trying to steal Pikachu each episode, failing and then blasting off into the Unown (pun intended)

I know it is aimed at a "younger" audience, but Ive been watching since I was young, and some of these things really annoy me in the new Season.

Some of these things are simply "Not Remarkable", as Mr. Sukizo would say.

Anyway, so what do you find annoying?

Pretty much everything you described except for Bonnie. She doesn't annoy me as much as Max did back in Hoenn. But also...

The Ash and Lucario thing -

This will be the 5th time that Ash has encountered a Lucario. Once in the 8th movie and 4 times throughout the anime. And i along with many others i assume, have always wanted Ash to have a Lucario on his team, not only because of the "Aura" he shares with them but it would be a great fit for Ash and plus he would have a Pokemon on his team that can Mega-evolve cuz of the special bond they share/will share. (Charizard's not around) But once again Fate along with the animators aren't gonna make it so and it's a real shame because this would've been the perfect time and setting with the other Lucario appearing soon and the animators could've followed the same storyline as the game.

But..oh well. It is what it is.

Eruantiel

Pretty much everything you described except for Bonnie. She doesn't annoy me as much as Max did back in Hoenn. But also...

The Ash and Lucario thing -

This will be the 5th time that Ash has encountered a Lucario. Once in the 8th movie and 4 times throughout the anime. And i along with many others i assume, have always wanted Ash to have a Lucario on his team, not only because of the "Aura" he shares with them but it would be a great fit for Ash and plus he would have a Pokemon on his team that can Mega-evolve cuz of the special bond they share/will share. (Charizard's not around) But once again Fate along with the animators aren't gonna make it so and it's a real shame because this would've been the perfect time and setting with the other Lucario appearing soon and the animators could've followed the same storyline as the game.

But..oh well. It is what it is.

Yes, Lucario would be a perfect fit for Ash. I must agree there. :)

I think the problem is, the Anime writers has found something that can pass as working, and they are sticking to that. Every season after season is exactly the same, same storyline, same Team Rocket, same goal. Get 8 badges, lose a few gym battles, learn a lesson at some point, and the lose at the Pokemon League.

I don't specifically want Ash to WIN the Pokemon League, but I really think a change is in order. I wish they would change the story. Even if he wins the Pokemon League, he wouldnt be a Pokemon Master. So it wouldn't be the end of the Series.. The Battle Frontier was interesting. It was something new, same with the Orange Islands way back.

Make it interesting again. Not just make it to pass for what is "acceptable" or "easy" or "comfortable".

But then again, I suppose they have to follow the plot of the games.... but then they should make a spinoff or something. Like Pokemon Origins or Chronicles.

Last edited:

Andydemon

Nanomachines, Son!
The already mentioned and continued refusal to give Ash a Lucario, if there was ever a good opportunity to give Ash one ever since the 2 Riley episodes, this is it. With all the talk of Mega Evolutions and Lucario being important to Mega Evolution Lore AND being the first pokemon you see Mega Evolve in the games. There's no excuse. Except the people running the anime are probably gonna pass over this chance again anyway because "**** what everyone else wants."

Team Rocket not being given back any of their old Pokemon besides Wobbuffet, and I'm sure they only brought him back because he's nothing more than a running gag character in the show. Seeing Team Rocket rely strictly on one Pokemon each to get the job done against a group of trainers with up to 6+ Pokemon the whole time is frustrating. Not to mention being someone who's watched the show since my childhood, seeing Jessie not have a snake as her primary Pokemon still feels wrong to me, especially now that the 'It would make you stand out' excuse they used in Unova is no longer valid. Their attempts at stealing peoples Pokemon has also gotten tired as well with little to no variety in their methods of capturing their targets, it's just the same tack of 'trapping their target in a cage and hoping they don't break out later' or 'taking Ash and his friends head on despite their strength in numbers and power/skill.' Really though, having seen Team Rocket since day 1 I have to say that seeing them still trying to capture Pikachu after so long and after so many failed attempts, they're just not funny anymore, they're just pathetic.

Clemont and Bonnie don't really bother me all that much. Clemont's whole science and technology stuff reminds me of Dexter's Lab, which was one of my favorite shows as a kid, so he get's points for making me feel nostalgic for that show. Bonnie on the other hand, while I don't hate her, I don't really see much point in her, when I see her ask every random girl she meets to marry Clemont, I think they were trying to bring back the old running gag of when Brock fell in love with every girl he met without actually bringing Brock back, and that's the problem. When Brock did the whole girl thing it was funny, especially when he got thwarted each time by Misty, Max, and finally Croagunk. When Bonnie does it....Just the thought of a little girl randomly coming up to you and asking you to marry her brother just comes off as awkward, very much so.

What frustrates me the most is Serena. With their being no contests in X and Y, Serena herself has little to no goal to keep herself interesting. In fact, her goal has already been met, to travel with Ash. So she really has no incentive or motive to grow stronger or develop as a character. She just feels like a fan girl cheerleader for Ash and it feels like that's all she is and ever will be.

After the Korrina arc I realized how much better off the show would've been if they had made her the female lead of the series instead of Serena. She actually battles, she has her own goals and motives to become stronger, and could've had her own reasons to travel with Ash: To battle other Mega Evolution trainers and develop her own skills as one herself. Not to mention with the possibility that Ash himself won't be getting a Mega Evolution they could've given the Mega Evolution stuff to someone else on the team, and Korrina would've been perfect for that, as she already has a Mega Evolving Pokemon and a very popular one at that. And before you go around saying the Korrina Arc was just them shoving Lucario down our throats, ask yourself this: Who would you rather have on the team? A one-dimensional girl that's just there to be a cheerleading Ash fangirl that's only following him around for the sake of following him around? Or a Mega Evolution Trainer that actually battles and could've had her own reasons for traveling the Kalos region?

And I think we can all agree on one thing: Ash, Pikachu, Team Rocket. All elements to the show that have been around since Gen 1 that haven't been relevant since Gen 2, and were only made relevant after that by the remakes, and even in the remakes Ash wasn't relevant because Red's design is completely different from his now. The point of the anime is marketing, the product they are marketing out right now is Gen 6 and it's games. Where's Ash in X and Y? Where are Team Rocket in X and Y? The big problem I see with the anime as an older fan of the series is that they are trying to market a current product while clinging to elements that aren't relevant to the Generation they're trying to market out. The only thing from those days that has any reason to be around is Pikachu, and even Pikachu I feel is riding exclusively on mascot status these days and nothing else. The simple fact remains, Ash, Pikachu and Team Rocket need to go, it's time to focus on elements that are actually relevant to the current Gen.

Last edited:

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
The already mentioned and continued refusal to give Ash a Lucario, if there was ever a good opportunity to give Ash one ever since the 2 Riley episodes, this is it. With all the talk of Mega Evolutions and Lucario being important to Mega Evolution Lore AND being the first pokemon you see Mega Evolve in the games. There's no excuse. Except the people running the anime are probably gonna pass over this chance again anyway because "**** what everyone else wants."

Team Rocket not being given back any of their old Pokemon besides Wobbuffet, and I'm sure they only brought him back because he's nothing more than a running gag character in the show. Seeing Team Rocket rely strictly on one Pokemon each to get the job done against a group of trainers with up to 6+ Pokemon the whole time is frustrating. Not to mention being someone who's watched the show since my childhood, seeing Jessie not have a snake as her primary Pokemon still feels wrong to me, especially now that the 'It would make you stand out' excuse they used in Unova is no longer valid. Their attempts at stealing peoples Pokemon has also gotten tired as well with little to no variety in their methods of capturing their targets, it's just the same tack of 'trapping their target in a cage and hoping they don't break out later' or 'taking Ash and his friends head on despite their strength in numbers and power/skill.' Really though, having seen Team Rocket since day 1 I have to say that seeing them still trying to capture Pikachu after so long and after so many failed attempts, they're just not funny anymore, they're just pathetic.

Clemont and Bonnie don't really bother me all that much. Clemont's whole science and technology stuff reminds me of Dexter's Lab, which was one of my favorite shows as a kid, so he get's points for making me feel nostalgic for that show. Bonnie on the other hand, while I don't hate her, I don't really see much point in her, when I see her ask every random girl she meets to marry Clemont, I think they were trying to bring back the old running gag of when Brock fell in love with every girl he met without actually bringing Brock back, and that's the problem. When Brock did the whole girl thing it was funny, especially when he got thwarted each time by Misty, Max, and finally Croagunk. When Bonnie does it....Just the thought of a little girl randomly coming up to you and asking you to marry her brother just comes off as awkward, very much so.

What frustrates me the most is Serena. With their being no contests in X and Y, Serena herself has little to no goal to keep herself interesting. In fact, her goal has already been met, to travel with Ash. So she really has no incentive or motive to grow stronger or develop as a character. She just feels like a fan girl cheerleader for Ash and it feels like that's all she is and ever will be.

After the Korrina arc I realized how much better off the show would've been if they had made her the female lead of the series instead of Serena. She actually battles, she has her own goals and motives to become stronger, and could've had her own reasons to travel with Ash: To battle other Mega Evolution trainers and develop her own skills as one herself. Not to mention with the possibility that Ash himself won't be getting a Mega Evolution they could've given the Mega Evolution stuff to someone else on the team, and Korrina would've been perfect for that, as she already has a Mega Evolving Pokemon and a very popular one at that. And before you go around saying the Korrina Arc was just them shoving Lucario down our throats, ask yourself this: Who would you rather have on the team? A one-dimensional girl that's just there to be a cheerleading Ash fangirl that's only following him around for the sake of following him around? Or a Mega Evolution Trainer that actually battles and could've had her own reasons for traveling the Kalos region?

And I think we can all agree on one thing: Ash, Pikachu, Team Rocket. All elements to the show that have been around since Gen 1 that haven't been relevant since Gen 2, and were only made relevant after that by the remakes, and even in the remakes Ash wasn't relevant because Red's design is completely different from his now. The point of the anime is marketing, the product they are marketing out right now is Gen 6 and it's games. Where's Ash in X and Y? Where are Team Rocket in X and Y? The big problem I see with the anime as an older fan of the series is that they are trying to market a current product while clinging to elements that aren't relevant to the Generation they're trying to market out. The only thing from those days that has any reason to be around is Pikachu, and even Pikachu I feel is riding exclusively on mascot status these days and nothing else. The simple fact remains, Ash, Pikachu and Team Rocket need to go, it's time to focus on elements that are actually relevant to the current Gen.

Well said! Especially the part about Serena. I already feel that she is going to be known as the most boring, uninteresting female traveler in the anime's history. She even makes me miss Iris and Dawn and that's saying something! Korrina would've been perfect! And since the animators don't see, to want Ash have a Lucario, we would still see it on a regular bases with Korrina on the team!

Sephora

yes I'm back
Team Rocket -.-

Everything else IMO is great

Eruantiel

The thing that bothers me, is the show gives lots of promises, but nothing happens. . . Misty had a crush on Ash, later in the Anime, and what came from that? Nothing. Annabel had a crush on Ash, and what came from that? Nothing. Now Serena has a crush on Ash, and what will come from that? Nothing. Basically there is no "building" of anything. Everything we see in the show, is practically pointless. Team Rocket... There is absolutely no building of anything. They are just annoying, useless, incompetent, fillers. We know how XY is going to end. We know Ash will lose the league. We know all the travelers (Ash, Serena, Bonnie, Clemont) will go their separate ways, and then another character(s) will get shoved on.

And Team Rocket is absolutely and utterly useless. . . As I said, I liked them in Black and White, because they had a different mission. Not just trying to capture the Pikachu who becomes weak at the start of each new journey (yes, yes I know why they do this... it would be unfair for Ash to have an overpowered Pokemon). But Team Rocket is just a time waster. I watch an episode, and just when I might enjoy it, they come along, and I instantly know how its going to end. Plus, HOW MANY ******* TIMES CAN YOU FALL FOR A DISGUISE! I know its aimed towards younger kids, but they should really give us long time fans a reason to watch.... Or atleast, make it pleasant for us to watch.

Eruantiel

Oh and by the way, I'd hate to be that guy, but I rly wish they would bring Misty back.... Previously (allegedly) they were going to, but her voice actress declined or something. But that cannot be used as an excuse, because all the other voice actors were changed anyway..... I loved her traveling with Ash more than anyone else. I actually likes Ash's female traveling companions in the same order as they appeared. Misty, then May, Dawn, Iris, Serena, and lastly Bonnie (Who I dont care for at all).

I think it would be really a good thing if they were to bring back a previous traveling companion, like Misty. If they could explain Brock being with Ash every Season until XY, Im sure they can explain Misty being with Ash again.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
  • Team Rocket's constant presence
  • Bonnie's "cute" quirks
  • Clemont's inventions blowing up
  • Serena's lack of a goal
  • Serena's passiveness overall
  • Ash's Froakie's frubble
  • Ash battling 90% of the time
  • The fillers minus the Pancham one
  • The background music
  • The cast's dynamic in general

the only thing about XY is why hasn't Serena caught her second Pokemon yet? And why are the japanese in charge of the company developing the episodes taking so long to have her catch her second pokemon?

Ch@mpion

• Serena's a prop that seldom says or does much that's interesting or funny.
  • Bonnie's and Clemont's annoying running gags.
  • Clemont and Serena don't have actual goals to strive towards.
  • No rivals or secondary antagonists besides Team Stalker to spice things up until Team Flare debuts.
  • While I like that the XY quartet get along with each other well, the group's interactions are dull.

Red and Blue

Let's see.

1.Bonnie-Don't find her cute or charming at all. She just plain annoying. And I find her gag to be pretty creepy.
2.Serena-40 episodes in and still no goal or development.
3.Ash-Still the same boring and stale character he's been for the past couple of gens
4.The total lack of any interesting conflict
5. The knowledge that no matter what happens in XY, its already a forgone conclusion

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Nothing quite annoys me per-say, but the character dynamics overall feel a bit weak to me compared to those of the past. Clemont/Bonnie is great, but I'm not as engaged with Ash's interactions in particular.

Last edited:
-Team Rocket
-Team Rocket being shoved into episodes when they shouldn't
-Team Rocket being the same incompetent idiots from OS-DP
-"OMG SCIENCE IS SO AMAZING!!!"
-Serena having less overall focus
-Did I mention Team Rocket?

Doesn't seem like much, but it gets tiring when they all happen in nearly every episode

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Other than Team Rocket in general, the only really bothersome thing is Serena's lack of development.

It's mind blowing we're 40 episodes into XY now and we still have no idea why Serena is on the cast.

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
#1: Team Rocket - They're not villains or characters, just plot devices inserted into episodes so they can mess with the heroes and so Ash can gain experience from them. More details here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKPbAyom_BE
Key points: "...They have to be the worst villains ever. They not even really villains. I mean, when they make their intro, all they say is: We're Jessie! We're James! And we are... TEAM ROCKET! And then they have a poor attempt where they try to take the Pokemon, or Pikachu from Ash, and then after that, Ash uses one move, Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt them, and then send them flying in the ****ing air. I mean, when are they going to learn to give the **** up? I'm just tired of seeing them."
"I mean, you don't wanna see the same bad guy over and over again lose. They not even bad guys, they just a pack of losers who never get anywhere in the show."

#2: Lack of any real conflict - Almost 40 episodes and the only group conflicts we've really gotten are Citro's (Clemont) inventions blowing up and his sister yelling at him for it, and also yelling at him for not being able to keep up - Maike (May) and Max had way better sibling dynamic. And the only antagonists we have are Team Rocket who are no threat, the evil Calamanero (Malamar) from XY019, and some one-shot characters who vary in quality. I think pokemon fan 132 said it best - I don't agree with everything, but I do agree with most of it:

In OS, Hoenn, even DP(though it fails compared to first two sagas) pokemon had more maturity, danger and depth of emotions present in to it. There was actual tension, clash, more lively and dimensional dynamic between characters. More realism and substance put into main storyline. Showing how beside all hapiness and lighthearted nature of anime there existed negativity, conflicts and rough nature of characters, pokemon and surrounding. Teaching kids valuable lesson how not everything will always go according to plan. How if your not careful or react promptly accidents and injuries can happen and how even best friends will not always get along having their bad days,

But in XY everything took 180 degree shift turning show into some parade of cuteness, sweetness and positivity everywhere and always. Its unrealistic, monotone and degrading for characters and plot. Even rivals like Tierno, Trevor and Shauna were all super nice and kind to each other and Ash and friends during Summer camp. Like they live in Utopia world.

I heard theyre trying to make show more "girly and cute" to appeal to young girly girls.

#3: No good characters - Ash is a bland superman who exists only to battle, train, and beat Team Rocket. They try so hard to make him into this "badass" but it's just annoying. Citro had some decent character development, but his lame gags bring him down for me, how many times will they show us his inventions exploding? Heureka (Bonnie) isn't cute yet they push her "cute" factor so hard because without it she doesn't have much going for her. She also doesn't do anything useful which also drags her down, she's kind of just there. Serena has interesting traits that surface here and there - like in her debut episodes when she was more sassy, or XY012 with the Pokedex - but most of the time, she ranges from a bland character to background. Now, I don't care that she doesn't have a goal yet, or a second Pokemon, but she's not a good enough character for it to really work and only NOW are we getting what looks to be some decent development from her. This post I found on another site sums her up perfectly.

She's the worst heroine yet to me: great work, guys-- just when I think you can't sink any lower, you never fail to disappoint me. Making her shallow, vain, crushing on Ash most of the time she gets any screen time to her, shaft her and put her in the background to DP Brock levels of ignorance, what obligates me to like her, or even care about anything she does? She doesn't even do much of anything and is way too inactive, and at one point, was so insanely vain that she would rather check out jewelry than help her friends out.

Let's not forget at one point she would rather have gotten possessed than to do what Mauzi (Meowth) said.

#4: No balance of screentime - Ash gets too many episodes and screentime to himself - even some Serena episodes saw him being the hero at the last minute. Citro had a decent amount in the beginning, Heureka is just there. The current Summer camp arc looks to address this but we'll see.

Generally, my main problems are the characters, plots, wasted potential, and the lack of entertainment value.

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
Other than Team Rocket in general, the only really bothersome thing is Serena's lack of development.

It's mind blowing we're 40 episodes into XY now and we still have no idea why Serena is on the cast.

That was made quite clear in the beginning. She loves ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.