• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that annoy you in the XY Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJC

1. Ash saying the same things over and over again, especially "I'm Ash and this is my partner Pikachu." It sounds so wrong.

2. Team Rocket's dub voices are terrible.

LizardonX

Banned

Eruantiel

1. Ash saying the same things over and over again, especially "I'm Ash and this is my partner Pikachu." It sounds so wrong.

2. Team Rocket's dub voices are terrible.

I preferred it when Ash used to introduce it as "This is my buddy, Pikachu". "Partner" makes me think of "Life Partner" for some reason.

The voices took me a long time to get used to, but luckily now it doesnt bother me anymore.

phanpycross

God-king
* People b*tching about frubble.

* the creepy sexual undertones when certain people are talking about chespin.

* Pocket Monsters XY Character Speculation Thread - Stop Talking About Unova!

* the 5 episodes without the main characters.

* Pikachu hogging all the gyms.

Vernikova

Champion
The ugly CGI used for many of the dynamic scenes. While better than speed-lines, they're not that much better.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I hated in the 4Kids era when the twerps would, on occasion (I stress), stupidly blame Team Rocket for nothing. Team Rocket doing nothing really but crashing a festival in season three's "Flower Power" is one example that comes to mind. I hated when they'd get an unfair treatment as well (Team Rocket getting chastised in season six's "You Said a Mouthful" when the guy they stole the pelliper from was doing far worse and got away with it is one example). Since season nine, though, it hasn't been as bad.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
My biggest and only concern/complaint/annoyance seems to be this posse Ash has seems more like cheerleaders instead of people working towards actual goals of importance to them... Serena only know got a potential goal in becoming an idol, but I don't know how that helps Ash in any way, plus she initially just joined him all because of one time she met him. You may say Contest didn't help Ash... but at least May and Dawn actually battle with Ash and sometimes even trained with him. Heck even Iris and her very loose goal still battled with Ash and trained with him sometimes too. Serena literally tracked Ash down just to follow him with no real purpose on hand. Then with Clemont and Bonnie, they joined Ash with what seemed like the goal of getting stronger, but Clemont seemingly already accomplished that goal by claiming his gym back from his malfunctioning Robot that he's still letting run the gym to my knowledge and I don't get why he's still following Ash. At least they could have let him claim his gym back just a few episodes before Ash actually has to battle him. Then you really have no strong dynamic between Serena and Clemont most of the time kinda like Ash is just the guy keeping them together (which was a complain by many from the DP saga with Dawn and Brock). But this intensifies as Serena almost never does anything but stand in the background while Ash does most of the work and Clemont does his already tired schtick of inventions while occasionally helping Ash in battle or training. Bonnie serves even less purpose then Max outside of what I suppose would be eye candy for I guess being adorable?

Black and White set the bars real low in terms of episode quality so I guess that's why many see XY as an improvement, but this groups faults are pretty well noticeable.

- Ash's English dub voice is terrible: he sounds like he's pissed off all the time, and when he doesn't, he sounds like a butch chain smoking lesbian.

- Team Rocket's English dub voices are the worst they've ever been to date: James now sounds like a guy in his 50s with a head cold, Jessie now sounds like a teenage valley girl opera singer, and Meowth sounds like a 70 year-old chain smoking biker now.

- Team Rocket in the English dub have the same horrible lines of dialogue they had in DP, like constant stupid alliterations, assonance everywhere, "The twerps have PokeVision on the brain," etc.

- Ash in the English dub also has the same kind of horrible lines of dialogue he had in DP, like "dontcha," "Science is so amazin'," "Whoa, he disappeared really fast, no doubt" to name a few.

- Ash is somehow even more bland than he was in DP, and just feels like an attempted rehash of AG Ash with none of that incarnation's character or personality whatsoever.

- Team Rocket are borderline mentally challenged in XY, even to the point of blowing up their own balloon by attacking each other in it.

- That awful XY Remix OP.

- Bonnie is terribly generic and irritating for a character- nothing about her stands out.

- The fact that Serena did little to nothing for her first 30 or so episodes of the Series before finally getting active and doing something about it.

Bonnie:
I find Bonnie extremely annoying in the anime. Her voice, her character, and the way she acts. I actually prefer Iris over her (That is saying a lot!) and would much rather listen to Iris' catchphrase of calling Ash "Such a kid" than listen to Bonnie's annoying childish squeaky dialogue.

Yeah, I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
- Ash's English dub voice is terrible: he sounds like he's pissed off all the time, and when he doesn't, he sounds like a butch chain smoking lesbian.

- Team Rocket's English dub voices are the worst they've ever been to date: James now sounds like a guy in his 50s with a head cold, Jessie now sounds like a teenage valley girl opera singer, and Meowth sounds like a 70 year-old chain smoking biker now.

- Team Rocket in the English dub have the same horrible lines of dialogue they had in DP, like constant stupid alliterations, assonance everywhere, "The twerps have PokeVision on the brain," etc.

- Ash in the English dub also has the same kind of horrible lines of dialogue he had in DP, like "dontcha," "Science is so amazin'," "Whoa, he disappeared really fast, no doubt" to name a few.

- Ash is somehow even more bland than he was in DP, and just feels like an attempted rehash of AG Ash with none of that incarnation's character or personality whatsoever.

- Team Rocket are borderline mentally challenged in XY, even to the point of blowing up their own balloon by attacking each other in it.

- That awful XY Remix OP.

- Bonnie is terribly generic and irritating for a character- nothing about her stands out.

- The fact that Serena did little to nothing for her first 30 or so episodes of the Series before finally getting active and doing something about it.

Yeah, I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I agree with pretty much everything, except for the Bonnie part xD. She isn't that bad imo, she's easily the best character so far in XY actually imo.

I agree with pretty much everything, except for the Bonnie part xD. She isn't that bad imo, she's easily the best character so far in XY actually imo.

No problem: to each their own- she's more interesting to watch than Ash and TR at the least, even if I'm not a fan of Bonnie (she was really good in that Flabebe episode, but she lost it after that for me).

k6666

Pikachu Fan
My biggest and only concern/complaint/annoyance seems to be this posse Ash has seems more like cheerleaders instead of people working towards actual goals of importance to them... Serena only know got a potential goal in becoming an idol, but I don't know how that helps Ash in any way, plus she initially just joined him all because of one time she met him. You may say Contest didn't help Ash... but at least May and Dawn actually battle with Ash and sometimes even trained with him. Heck even Iris and her very loose goal still battled with Ash and trained with him sometimes too. Serena literally tracked Ash down just to follow him with no real purpose on hand. Then with Clemont and Bonnie, they joined Ash with what seemed like the goal of getting stronger, but Clemont seemingly already accomplished that goal by claiming his gym back from his malfunctioning Robot that he's still letting run the gym to my knowledge and I don't get why he's still following Ash. At least they could have let him claim his gym back just a few episodes before Ash actually has to battle him. Then you really have no strong dynamic between Serena and Clemont most of the time kinda like Ash is just the guy keeping them together (which was a complain by many from the DP saga with Dawn and Brock). But this intensifies as Serena almost never does anything but stand in the background while Ash does most of the work and Clemont does his already tired schtick of inventions while occasionally helping Ash in battle or training. Bonnie serves even less purpose then Max outside of what I suppose would be eye candy for I guess being adorable?

Black and White set the bars real low in terms of episode quality so I guess that's why many see XY as an improvement, but this groups faults are pretty well noticeable.

i agreed in XY the group dynamic not really good specially the bold part
serena and clemont have no dynamic like misty and brock or iris and cilan
imo
same with bonnie with ash
XY group is all about amour , lemont sibling and sisterly serena and bonnie interaction nothing more nothing less
this group have lack of conflict that make it kinda bland imo
i kinda hope it improved

Navin

MALDREAD
serena and clemont have no dynamic like misty and brock or iris and cilan

How are you comparing Serena/Clemont to Misty/Brock? The latter had a better dynamic and that's why the OS trio was the best group. Pretty sure Wishful wouldn't be a thing if Iris/Cilan didn't have a decent dynamic either.

imo same with bonnie with ash

I'm *okay* with this just because Bonnie has an elder brother and an elder sister-type relationship with Serena. It's not like with Max, who already had an elder sister while Ash acted like an older brother.

XY group is all about amour , lemont sibling and sisterly serena and bonnie interaction nothing more nothing less
this group have lack of conflict that make it kinda bland imo
i kinda hope it improved

Serena and Clemont interacting more would well. Maybe the writers think any scene with Serena not next to Ash is a waste kek. The entire group seems just okay. Not bad but not great either.

The unoriginality and predictability of episode plots and characters is a major problem here, now more than in any previous Series: too many things are rehashed from AG and DP in particular, and it just feels so...bland. It completely lacks creativity, ingenuity, and it seems so...lazily done.

Group chemistry is piss poor, too, honestly: Ash and Bonnie's interactions are just as abysmal as Brock and Dawn's were in D&P, Serena and Clemont's are still poor, and another big problem in general is Bonnie's lack of depth.

I hated in the 4Kids era when the twerps would, on occasion (I stress), stupidly blame Team Rocket for nothing. Team Rocket doing nothing really but crashing a festival in season three's "Flower Power" is one example that comes to mind. I hated when they'd get an unfair treatment as well (Team Rocket getting chastised in season six's "You Said a Mouthful" when the guy they stole the pelliper from was doing far worse and got away with it is one example). Since season nine, though, it hasn't been as bad.

I hated it back then as well, but now...I'd honestly enjoy seeing it happen to TR in XY...now, I think they actually deserve it.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
The unoriginality and predictability of episode plots and characters is a major problem here, now more than in any previous Series: too many things are rehashed from AG and DP in particular, and it just feels so...bland. It completely lacks creativity, ingenuity, and it seems so...lazily done.
The Mirror World episode was a rehash? The 'TR dress up as twerps and cause trouble to suspect them' is not creative?

The episode where an evil Malamar brainwashed Jenny and made her into its accomplice isn't original? What are you even talking about?

XY has a plenty of original episodes.

Group chemistry is piss poor, too, honestly: Ash and Bonnie's interactions are just as abysmal as Brock and Dawn's were in D&P, Serena and Clemont's are still poor, and another big problem in general is Bonnie's lack of depth.
I do agree that Ash/Bonnie and Serena/Clemont lack chemistry, but DID you watch any of the Bonnie episodes? The one I was particularly fond of was the Flabebe episode where Bonnie started off being obsessed with keeping Flabebe for herself, but ended up returning it to the lady despite the fact it made her very sad. In the Sky Battle episode, Bonnie complained that she wasn't tall enough to fly and Serena suggested that she stay with her, but Bonnie said it was okay not wanting to take away Serena's fun, instead, she hung out with the Pokemon while providing moral and emotional support for Fletchling. Bonnie is in a lot of ways simply a child, but she is so much more than that. She is endearing, can be mature when the time is right, and I honestly don't know what kind of "depth" you are seeking for when she's been portrayed this way since the beginning of XY, especially since she is the youngest of them all.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The Mirror World episode was a rehash? The 'TR dress up as twerps and cause trouble to suspect them' is not creative?

The episode where an evil Malamar brainwashed Jenny and made her into its accomplice isn't original? What are you even talking about?

I do agree that Ash/Bonnie and Serena/Clemont lack chemistry, but DID you watch any of the Bonnie episodes? The one I was particularly fond of was the Flabebe episode where Bonnie started off being obsessed with keeping Flabebe for herself, but ended up returning it to the lady despite the fact it made her very sad. In the Sky Battle episode, Bonnie complained that she wasn't tall enough to fly and Serena suggested that she stay with her, but Bonnie said it was okay not wanting to take away Serena's fun, instead, she hung out with the Pokemon while providing moral and emotional support for Fletchling. Bonnie is in a lot of ways simply a child, but she is so much more than that. She is endearing, can be mature when the time is right, and I honestly don't know what kind of "depth" you are seeking for when she's been portrayed this way since the beginning of XY, especially since she is the youngest of them all.

I agree, I don't really see any problem with Bonnie or the lack of depth of her character, she's been perfect so far imo, probably my favorite character in XY so far.

The Mirror World episode is pretty much the only unique episode I've seen all this season, honestly: it's one of, if not my favorite, XY episodes-- I wish we had more episodes like that one this Series.

No, that's not creative at ALL: we've seen TR pull this crap several times, particularly back in AG in "A Double Dilemma"...it's stale, it's boring, and it's actually more annoying than funny.

I say that because Ash was a complete ripoff of himself from "Pikachu Re-Volts" in that episode (that is what makes it unoriginal to me), and since he's a main character, I tend to pay more attention to him than an Officer Jenny disguised as Madame X, although I don't think that was very hard to discern who Madame X was in general.

Yeah, I watched all the Bonnie episodes: XY004 was really bad, XY016 was downright abysmal, and the only good one was the Flabebe one you mentioned, XY027- it's ever since XY028 Bonnie's been taking a real turn for the worse as a character again for some reason.

I'm looking for the depth Max had to his character: I don't find her speaking in the third person about how happy she is very endearing, or her running gag of trying to find a wife for Clemont cute...it's more creepy than anything, really, but I'm looking for more episodes with "To Find a Fairy Flower" Bonnie and less episodes with that "A Shockingly Cheeky Friendship" and "A Jolting Switcheroo!" from Bonnie, if it makes sense.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'm just surprised the writers actually allowed Serena to go 44 episodes with only one Pokemon. Even if she's not doing any battling she should have at least gotten a second capture by now.

If you ever told me there would be a time where a female companion would go the entire first year of a saga with only one pokemon and not make a single capture, I would have said you were out of your mind. Its really bizarre.

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
For me, its Team Rocket. I can't stand them, they're so annoying. The only reason why they even exist is for comedic relief and they're not even funny. They just need to leave and never come back.

-Ash's horrible English voice, and horrible lines of dialogue (e.g. "Now where is my next Polka-mon hangin' out," "It's amazin' that science is so amazing," "Alright, Froakie, time to put your foot on the gas," "Whoa, he disappeared really fast, no doubt!").

- Bonnie's characterization, as well as her horrible English voice and horrible line of dialogue (e.g. "Happy, happy Bonnie," "Cutier Pie," "Happy, happy, everyone's so happy").

- Serena in general until Episode 40 or so, but even now, she is too much of a reticent heroine for my taste.

- Team Rocket's characterization, as well as their horrible English voices, and horrible lines of dialogue ranging from stupid alliterations to dumb assonance, plus pretty much everything in between with them, really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.