• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that annoy you in the XY Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalkus

Shauna is Serena's rival, not Ash's. But yeah Ash doesn't seem to have a major rival.

Ash not having a major rival will hate this series in the long run. It seems the writers are apprehensive after the failure that was Trip, the Paul clone. At the very least they could come up with a rivalry that was friendly, or a mixture of passive and antagonistic.

Koharu_Hinata

Doki Doki Sunshine!
Serena hardly doing anything but being shipping bait in the 1st year of XY. Ever since the summer camp arc though, her development has been a complete 180 from her 1st year of inactivity.
I second this.

Really want Serena to get some action rather than exist solely for shipping. Hopefully, it seems like now she'll be getting some plot lines of her own from the looks of it. Don't want to see her act as just a cheerleader to Ash all the time, so I'm glad that she might start doing something less shipping-based.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Ash not having a major rival will hate this series in the long run. It seems the writers are apprehensive after the failure that was Trip, the Paul clone. At the very least they could come up with a rivalry that was friendly, or a mixture of passive and antagonistic.
He didn't have a rival back in AG and yet its well received. If Serena gets more focus and more rivals they will compensate for Ash's lack of rivals.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
So far, the only two things that annoy me the most about the XY series are TRio and Bonnie.

Team Rocket lacks any significant role. They're here just to give cheap and rather meaningless conflicts. Also, they lack any distinct personality. I didn't like DP TRio's repetitive antics or BW TRio's "cool" acts, but I take those over the actual TRio any day.

Bonnie is more personal bias. I've never been into young children, since I have several young cousins that annoy me to no end. And Bonnie is basically the cartoon version of them, so I'm naturally annoyed by her as well.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the series so far and I actually like the current cast. They definitely annoy me way less than BW, but I'm not going to say more than that in that regard.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
So far, the only two things that annoy me the most about the XY series are TRio and Bonnie.

Team Rocket lacks any significant role. They're here just to give cheap and rather meaningless conflicts. Also, they lack any distinct personality. I didn't like DP TRio's repetitive antics or BW TRio's "cool" acts, but I take those over the actual TRio any day.

Bonnie is more personal bias. I've never been into young children, since I have several young cousins that annoy me to no end. And Bonnie is basically the cartoon version of them, so I'm naturally annoyed by her as well.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the series so far and I actually like the current cast. They definitely annoy me way less than BW, but I'm not going to say more than that in that regard.
Annoying people is Bonnie's role, it fits her perfectly :p
I really do think Bonnie is a good character and is fulfilling her role in the group perfectly imo.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Annoying people is Bonnie's role, it fits her perfectly :p
I really do think Bonnie is a good character and is fulfilling her role in the group perfectly imo.

Oh, I'm not denying that. She acts like a real young child personality-wise and most of her interactions with the group and other people make sense. So in that regard she's written well as a character.

However, that doesn't make her any less annoying to me. I prefer Max as the young child of the group, to be frank. Far more entertaining, imo.

Red and Blue

Oh, I'm not denying that. She acts like a real young child personality-wise and most of her interactions with the group and other people make sense. So in that regard she's written well as a character.

However, that doesn't make her any less annoying to me. I prefer Max as the young child of the group, to be frank. Far more entertaining, imo.

I'm not a fan of Bonnie either. I would have rather it have been just Clemont, Serena, and Ash imo. I understand the appeal of having a kid be apart of the cast, but the writers could have made her so much less annoying and obnoxious

Last edited:

PokeMaster366

The Advanced Generation didn't give Ash any major rivals, but it got along just fine. We can say that Ash already has a rival in both Sanpei and Tierno. It would've been interesting if the writers included that one girl from the episode with Pichu that was saying she was headed towards the Cyllage City Gym, [subtle] but I'm sure she won't play any part in the league or Ash's journey. [/subtle]

If I had to name one thing about XY that's grinding my gears, though, it would have to be Team Flare's lack of involvement in the main series. The organization has been largely relegated to small appearances in the "Strongest Mega Evolution" spin-off. I really hope that they appear after the Gym Battle with Ramos at the Power Plant, but morale is low for me on the idea that they will show up. I really need more Team Flare. So far, it's been my favorite evil Pokemon organization in the entire Pokemon franchise (Yes, even ahead of Team Cipher). Please, writers, don't relegate them to just small appearances in the spin-off or do to them what was done to Team Plasma.

Since I'm talking about evil organizations, I might as well bring up Agent Looker. The writers can easily have Agent Looker show up for the incident at the Power Plant and have him show up again in an episode at Lumiose City to help establish that he has a detective agency set up there as a Base of Operations for finding and taking down Team Flare. Clemont could also set up contact with Looker since Team Flare being in Lumiose means that he needs to stay posted on what's going on and maybe get started on making that Bad Key Machine/Instant Unlocker thingamajig.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
What grinds my gears is the praise XY gets despite rehashing the same tired stories as before, now I know there are some fresh ideas like the Mirror World episode, but a few bright spots cannot make up for thr duds... some of the battles aren't even as good as people make them out to be. And group dynamic, still not there, still gonna go on about it.

The lack of focus on froakie.

For being the main starter of the region, froakie hasnt even starred in a gym yet, and the writers really seem to be putting an extreme amount of focus on pikachu, which he quite frankly doesnt need after being on the cast for 5 regions.
Now that we know Froakie is evolving before the 4th gym battle, he's gonna the first starter Ash has owned in it's base stage to never star in a gym before evolution. You could make claims for Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Chikarita, but Ash had at least one base stage starter star in a Gym (Charmander, Cyndaquil, Treecko, Turtwig (before Chimchar), and Oshawott (before Tepig) before any of them evolved. That's how much lack of true focus Froakie has had, though I'm not entirely pissed off about that.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
What grinds my gears is the praise XY gets despite rehashing the same tired stories as before, now I know there are some fresh ideas like the Mirror World episode, but a few bright spots cannot make up for thr duds... some of the battles aren't even as good as people make them out to be. And group dynamic, still not there, still gonna go on about it.

The anime now has nearly 850 episodes. Of course most episodes are going to be repeats of what we've seen before. Practically everything the writers could do with the show has been done by now. The difference is the unique dynamics between Clemont/Bonnie and whatever the hell they're trying to do with Serena.

At the least Ash is competent again and not what he was like in BW.

chalkus

He didn't have a rival back in AG and yet its well received. If Serena gets more focus and more rivals they will compensate for Ash's lack of rivals.

In AG we got the first ever change in the female lead (May) and the introduction of contests. Also, the only real rival Ash had was Gary and that rivalry came to the end, so the rivalry aspect back then was not as desired. After Paul in DP, everything changed.

What's new in XY? Changing casts is no longer new and Serena is basically a lazy Dawn clone. There are no more contests or anything to replace them. Clemont doesn't really have a story arc to speak of. Bonnie is entertaining, but she has no story arc either. That means the focus this region is all on Ash and he has noting going on for himself other than winning badges, something he has already done for over 800 episodes. The show would be better off if there was a story arc people could care about, which is usually a rivalry.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The anime now has nearly 850 episodes. Of course most episodes are going to be repeats of what we've seen before. Practically everything the writers could do with the show has been done by now. The difference is the unique dynamics between Clemont/Bonnie and whatever the hell they're trying to do with Serena.

At the least Ash is competent again and not what he was like in BW.
He may be competent again, but Ash still really doesn't feel like a character anymore. He feels more like a robot now imo, and it feels like all his character development went nowhere and he could just be rebooted back to his BW skill and persona again in a future series. Anyways, this isn't "OS-DP Ash", but more of a build up from BW Ash imho :x

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
He may be competent again, but Ash still really doesn't feel like a character anymore. He feels more like a robot now imo, and it feels like all his character development went nowhere and he could just be rebooted back to his BW skill and persona again in a future series. Anyways, this isn't "OS-DP Ash", but more of a build up from BW Ash imho :x

People wanted to see Ash competent again after BW regressed his character.

I can believe the XY Ash takes place directly after DP. He's competent again, he's the most mature one on the current group, and it looks like his XY team will be pretty good by the time this gen ends. Sure he has no rival or anything, but everything else is back on tracks.

If anything the entire BW series feels like it was out of place in the narrative, its hard to believe that saga came directly after DP. Had BW taken place after Johto or something it would have fit better.

Alola Adventurer

Anytime Jessie is seen on screen. I find Meowth and James more tolerable.

And as phanpycross said somewhere in here:
Pocket Monsters XY Character Speculation Thread - Stop Talking About Unova!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Anytime Jessie is seen on screen. I find Meowth and James more tolerable.

And as phanpycross said somewhere in here:
Pocket Monsters XY Character Speculation Thread - Stop Talking About Unova!

I'd definitely have to agree. Jessie is probably the worst character in the anime. She just really annoys me, and her dub voice makes it worse. Meowth would probably be the 2nd most annoying of the trio, but he's way more tolerable than Jessie is imo. James is probably the most tolerable of the three imho.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Team Rocket. Just when I thought they'll actually be serious this time around,they screw everything up and end up back into the 'loser' category. For me, XY would be almost prefect if not for them.

Grabbergirl23

Korrina's voice- Amy Rose doesn't suit her.

And more adultless children- Little Korrina was just playing with that Riolu all by herself, when they were fighting she could get hurt and there wasn't adult helping her. Little Clemont walking by himself then getting kidnapped. Have kids with adult supervision!

Bonnie is so annoying!

Gurkinn is portrayed as being mean, coldhearted, grumpy, cruel, self-centered, and neglectful. Forcing a child to work out in cold weather without the proper clothes, what a sick old man! It would have been better if he is a sagely old man (like the old man in Karate kid) and still manages to take care of his granddaughter the way he should, with nurturing, loving care. It's kind of like he has to hire a nanny or have a relative move in to take care of Korrina.

Gurkinn sounds too young!

Professor Sycamore- Stop saying Marvelous!

Where Clemont's mom and Korrina's grandma? Who took care of Korrina?

Why did little Korrina look underweight/extra skinny in the first flashback? It's like Korrina was depressed or sickly or was medicated or something as a kid. The kids aren't supposed to have collarbones exposing! We're so lucky in the next one (where she was eating ice cream) she looked completely normal.

How do Korrina and Diantha know where their Pokemon is from miles away? Do they have like super sensitive noses and actually pick up their scent or do they sense aura?

Last edited:

k6666

Pikachu Fan
after 48 episode still no dynamic in XY group and TR appear in korrina gym battle kinda make me afraid they gonna pop up in every gym battle just forsake appearing

Korrina's voice- Amy Rose doesn't suit her.

Bonnie is so annoying!

Agreed- that didn't work, and the voice direction hurt Lisa Ortiz to boot: she kept saying "Thecario" all the time.

I'm gonna have to agree on Bonnie, too.

As for the voices not fitting characters, I'd say that applies to all the main cast in the English dub of XY: Ash, James, Serena, Bonnie, Clemont, and Meowth sound way too old to be their ages, while Jessie sounds too young to be her age. Really, the main cast's dub voices have been bad since TPCi took over the dub- you'd think after 8 years, they'd be better than when they took over, but no, Ash and TR sound even worse now than back then.

Seriously, somebody please recast the English dub again!

Team Rocket. Just when I thought they'll actually be serious this time around,they screw everything up and end up back into the 'loser' category.
Also this.

I'd definitely have to agree. Jessie is probably the worst character in the anime. She just really annoys me, and her dub voice makes it worse. Meowth would probably be the 2nd most annoying of the trio, but he's way more tolerable than Jessie is imo. James is probably the most tolerable of the three imho.

Agreed: Jessie is easily the member of TR I dislike the most, and yes, Michele Knotz's Jessie is pretty bad- it sounds too high pitched and almost like a cartoony parody of Rachael Lillis' Jessie.

Last edited:

chalkus

Bonnie has been the most genuine character this season. She's also been the funniest. The XY cast would be dead without her.

Status
Not open for further replies.