• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that don’t make sense by Pokemon standards

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I wasn't going to say anything about game design in a broad sense but I was going to focus more on how the economy is run in the Pokémon world and its implications. But now we're here, since Pokémon is targeted at kids, there is no need to include mature themes and very complicated ideas into the Pokémon games (even though there has been very few exceptions but they are not integral to the Pokémon world). Whether these themes do or do not occur is left up to our own interpretation because there's no way the developers or anyone affiliated with or employed at Game Freak, The Pokémon Company, Nintendo or any other official handler of the Pokémon franchise would reveal their interpretations of such detail to the public and if they did, then it will be treated as canon. It's clear that our interpretations of the Pokémon universe are incompatible with each other and there is no necessity to correct someone over non-canon information as it is not set. If we continued, I know this won't go anywhere near a resolution. And this comes from the official Pokémon support page.

However I am still firm that such crime and regional governments do not exist in the Pokémon universe. There is no obligation for me to agree with your interpretation and we should be left to our own interpretations of the Pokémon universe.

Here's the thing. I'm not saying that there is absolutely a government in the Pokémon world. It is fully possible that there is not. All I'm trying to say is that an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. You're 100% right in saying that there's no way we could know for sure. I've just been trying to point out that you can't argue that there is no government in the world of Pokémon when there's no evidence of that being the case. You're welcome to interpret things like that, but you can't really assert those interpretations.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Here's the thing. I'm not saying that there is absolutely a government in the Pokémon world. It is fully possible that there is not. All I'm trying to say is that an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. You're 100% right in saying that there's no way we could know for sure. I've just been trying to point out that you can't argue that there is no government in the world of Pokémon when there's no evidence of that being the case. You're welcome to interpret things like that, but you can't really assert those interpretations.
I thought you were trying to assert your points over mine but at least we've come to a good conclusion. I initially referred to canonical evidence that there is no regional government in the Pokémon world, rather than evidence as a whole itself. My point was 'there is no evidence for absence'. Really there's no point proving that it either exists or not.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Why Morty doesn't use a Misdreavus in gen 2 gold and silver. It was a new Ghost-type and yet Morty used a team of entirely Gastly and it's evolutions. Surely this was the time to show off the new Ghost type.

When Gen 2 first came out, there weren’t many Ghost types - counting Gastly and its evolutions and Misdreavus, there were only four Ghost types. I think Morty has a Mismagius in HG/SS, however.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
When Gen 2 first came out, there weren’t many Ghost types - counting Gastly and its evolutions and Misdreavus, there were only four Ghost types. I think Morty has a Mismagius in HG/SS, however.
Well Misdreavus was the only one that was introduced as there were only four Ghost-types at that time. So they didn’t have much choice and still it made sense.

Luthor

Yeah I get what you mean. I have no issue him using the Gastly line (especially given limited choices) but considering they gave him a team of 4 you'd think his team would be Gastly, Haunter, Misdreavus and Gengar rather than Gastly, Haunter, Haunter and Gengar. Like you say at least his rematches in the remakes gave him more diversity.

M.P.

Retired
Why Morty doesn't use a Misdreavus in gen 2 gold and silver. It was a new Ghost-type and yet Morty used a team of entirely Gastly and it's evolutions. Surely this was the time to show off the new Ghost type.

I have a similar issue with Pryce: while he does use a Gen 2 Pokemon, it baffles me that they gave him Seel, a non-Ice type, over the likes of Sneasel, Delibird and Smoochum.

Though it's even more baffling that Falkner and Bugsy use only Gen 1 Pokemon when there were plenty of Flying and Bug types available in Gen 2.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I have a similar issue with Pryce: while he does use a Gen 2 Pokemon, it baffles me that they gave him Seel, a non-Ice type, over the likes of Sneasel, Delibird and Smoochum.

Though it's even more baffling that Falkner and Bugsy use only Gen 1 Pokemon when there were plenty of Flying and Bug types available in Gen 2.

HG/SS kind of corrected most of those issues by giving the Gym Leaders Pokémon from all (then) four generations.

Also, in FR/LG, you couldn’t get Johto Pokémon before the E4, even thought Johto is right next to Kanto. I know FR/LG are remakes of the original Gen 1 games so Johto wasn’t in the latter, but by then Hoenn existed. :confused:

Seel IS an Ice-type. Or maybe you're thinking of Dewgong?

M.P.

Retired
HG/SS kind of corrected most of those issues by giving the Gym Leaders Pokémon from all (then) four generations.

Indeed it did, though only in rematches. But I can somewhat understand why they didn't want to alter the original gym teams in the remakes.

Also, in FR/LG, you couldn’t get Johto Pokémon before the E4, even thought Johto is right next to Kanto. I know FR/LG are remakes of the original Gen 1 games so Johto wasn’t in the latter, but by then Hoenn existed. :confused:

The evolutions and pre-evos for Gen 1 Pokemon should've been available pre-E4, at least. It's especially weird with Pokemon that evolve by max happiness: I mean, are they implying my Golbat doesn't want to be friends with me unless I'm the region champion?

Seel IS an Ice-type. Or maybe you're thinking of Dewgong?

No, Seel is pure Water and Dewgong is Water/Ice.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The evolutions and pre-evos for Gen 1 Pokemon should've been available pre-E4, at least. It's especially weird with Pokemon that evolve by max happiness: I mean, are they implying my Golbat doesn't want to be friends with me unless I'm the region champion?
Maybe they wanted the games to stay more true to the originals even though it clearly wasn’t the case in HGSS. I would have liked access to these Pokémon anyway.

M.P.

Retired
Maybe they wanted the games to stay more true to the originals even though it clearly wasn’t the case in HGSS. I would have liked access to these Pokémon anyway.

Yes, that's most likely the reason why they weren't available before E4. I'm glad they chose to make the cross-gen evos available pre-E4 in later remakes (sans Let's Go), at least.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yes, that's most likely the reason why they weren't available before E4. I'm glad they chose to make the cross-gen evos available pre-E4 in later remakes (sans Let's Go), at least.
Still bummed out why the stones for the Gen 4 evos in HGSS weren’t available until the postgame like the Shiny Stone for Togekiss. Still it was great that at least the level up evos were available but it didn’t feel like it completely made sense especially for the stone evos and the Eeveelutions.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Here’s a really odd thing. Inside Cerulean Cave in LGPE, you can find respawning Master Balls. Question is who made them and put them inside the cave? Did Mewtwo clone them? It is stated by the Silph Co president himself that there is only one Master Ball in existence when he gives it to you and that it is a prototype.

TheTrueRman

Amateur Breeder and Legend Collector
Though about this before but, wouldn't steel type be vulnerable to electric?

Solgaleo is pkmn of the Sun, vulnerable to Fire Attacks

How is Gyarados and Charizard not Dragon type

Wouldn't it make sense for Floorgess to be Fairy/Grass

my apologies if some of these were already quoted

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

A similar thing: why does the move Frustration exist? Why would you hate your Pokémon so much to make them stronger? o_O

Though about this before but, wouldn't steel type be vulnerable to electric?

Solgaleo is pkmn of the Sun, vulnerable to Fire Attacks

How is Gyarados and Charizard not Dragon type

Wouldn't it make sense for Floorgess to be Fairy/Grass
  • Solgaleo isn’t a personification of the sun, it’s merely just an emissary of sunlight. Same with Lunala, who only emits moonlight.
  • Gyarados and Charizard aren’t Dragon-types because the Dragon type was added very late in Red/Blue’s development, and the only Dragon-type move in Gen 1 was Dragon Rage, which always deals 40 HP damage. Mega Charizard X does become Fire/Dragon type, however.
  • Florges is a fairy attaching itself to a flower. It’s not part of the flower.
I also thought a similar thing with Dhelmise: why is it a Ghost/Grass type instead of a Water/Steel type? It’s an anchor, and it lives in the sea. :confused:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
A similar thing: why does the move Frustration exist? Why would you hate your Pokémon so much to make them stronger? o_O
I think it’s more or so their inner hatred that arises from a lack of friendship with its Trainer makes the move more powerful. If they’re more angry from that way, then I expect them to be more frustrated which in turn boosts the power of this attack.

TheTrueRman

Amateur Breeder and Legend Collector

• Solgaleo isn’t a personification of the sun, it’s merely just an emissary of sunlight. Same with Lunala, who only emits moonlight.
  • Gyarados and Charizard aren’t Dragon-types because the Dragon type was added very late in Red/Blue’s development, and the only Dragon-type move in Gen 1 was Dragon Rage, which always deals 40 HP damage. Mega Charizard X does become Fire/Dragon type, however.
  • Florges is a fairy attaching itself to a flower. It’s not part of the flower.
I also thought a similar thing with Dhelmise: why is it a Ghost/Grass type instead of a Water/Steel type? It’s an anchor, and it lives in the sea. :confused:

Florges final form seemed to fuse it with the flower. Making it fairy/grass would make sense.
And yeah Dhelmise, being Steel/Ghost type and knows water moves or water abilities would make more sense