1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Things that don’t make sense by Pokemon standards

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by pokemon trainer mystery, Nov 9, 2018.

1. pokemon trainer mystery

pokemon trainer mystery Well-Known Member

In as big and long going a series as Pokemon there’s going to be things that go against what’s already established or just don’t seem logical. What things through Pokemon have made you make leaps of logic or just flat out don’t make sense?

Note: I’m aware there was a thread on this subject however it hasn’t been posted on since may so I hope it’s ok to remake it.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  2. shoz999

shoz999 Master of Disguise!

PIKACHU! AIM FOR RHYDON'S HORN!
    IT'S SUPER-EFFECTIVE!

Three Gens Later
    LIGHTNING ROD HAS ACTIVATED!

3. The fact that the Pokémon world is extremely advanced, but there is a lot of undeveloped land.

Jirachi100 and NovaBrunswick like this.
  4. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

Why the police never get involved in taking down the numerous criminal organizations that run rampant across the Pokémon world. They always get ten-year-old kids to do it.

Jirachi100 and Mega Altaria like this.
  5. shoz999

[​IMG]

6. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria The best Mega Evolution

It’s like that the player is bound into breaking apart the region’s largest criminal organisation. I think it’s because the police are a bit lazier in the Pokémon world and really the crime rate in the Pokémon world is much lower than that in the real world.

7. shoz999

11 year olds. THE ULTIMATE WEAPON TO SUPRASS METAL GEAR.

8. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

Top level trainers in the games that still don't use 6 pokemon in their teams. Even if the 6th pokemon wasn't that powerful it could still do something that might help.

9. shoz999

Defeating Lance his mighty inappropriately leveled Dragonites!

10. NovaBrunswick

Or Ghetsis with his level 54 Hydreigon, when it should've evolved ten levels later.

Jirachi100 and Mega Altaria like this.
  11. Mega Altaria

Or encountering numerous underlevelled Metapods and Kakunas in the wild at Viridian Forest. I also remember that the GSC/HGSS postgame had a lot of underlevelled wild Pokémon in the Kanto region.

12. NovaBrunswick

When they should be a lot stronger. At least Mt. Silver has some strong-ish Pokémon.

Mega Altaria likes this.
  13. Mega Altaria

I believe that Mt. Silver has the highest levelled wild Pokémon in GSC/HGSS. I think they wanted to keep true to the levels of Pokémon found in RBY but it just messes up grinding in the postgame so much.

14. NovaBrunswick

Growlithe having Intimidate at least makes sense, as it's often used as the Pokémon world's equivalent of a guard dog. Things like Staravia and Stantler, however...

Mega Altaria likes this.
  15. Mega Altaria

Maybe because their grumpy looks are considered to be intimidating, especially towards smaller Pokémon? I think they could run away as soon as they see that look.

16. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Oh yeah, I missed this thread.

It made perfect sense at the time. The writers had no idea that Lightning Rod was going to be introduced.

The world of Pokémon is essentially a utopian society. They may be super advanced, but they also live in harmony with nature.

An alternate possible solution is that the Pokémon world has a relatively small human population. Perhaps having to compete for resources with Pokémon slowed down the growth of human population.

Who says thy never get involved? Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they're not doing things in the background.

And, by the way, we do see them get involved. We've seen Looker of the International Police go up against Team Galactic and Team Plasma, and in the anime we saw Lance of the Pokémon G-Men go up against Team Rocket, Team Aqua, and Team Magma. There are also in the games random police officers who make mention of how they're investigating the local team. It's simply that the playable character manages to defeat the teams before the police can do anything about them.

Abilities are more than just natural traits. Judging by what some of them can do, they're also special powers, just like moves are. Maybe a Staravia or Stantler don't look too intimidating, but that doesn't mean they can't have some sort of passive power that cuts the opponent's attack strength.

17. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

All of the anime's early installment weirdness is usually explained by the fact they didn't realize it'd become insanely popular

Doesn't help that they reset the world every time Ash goes to a new region and the lore overwrites itself in the process, hence why it's usually for the best not to worry too much about continuity and bizarre leaps in logic

THUNDER ARMOR, anyone?

18. Mega Altaria

Shows why game logic doesn’t apply to anime logic. Otherwise that Thunder would have killed that Swellow.

19. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I actually recently saw an explanation for that that I really liked. Assuming Swellow could take the damage from the Thunderbolt (which is very possible, given how anime battles work), then it's possible that the Thunderbolt would Paralyze Swellow. Swellow's only possible ability in Gen III was Guts, which would significantly boost Swellow's power if it were paralyzed. Throw in some anime flare, and you've got yourself a Thunder Armor. It's still a bit of a leap, but not completely out of nowhere with no logic behind it, like most people assume.

NovaBrunswick and Prof. SALTY like this.
  20. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

I feel like Thunder Armor is just a weird interpretation of the Guts ability

Edit: woops someone beat me to it! But yeah I always thought that it was supposed to be a Guts thing. I didnt even realise people were mad about it until years later when I saw it on a watchmojo