1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Things that don’t make sense by Pokemon standards

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by pokemon trainer mystery, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria Shiny hunter

Yeah, it felt like it had more of a defensive property going by the name even though it retained the original effect of increasing the attacking power of Swellow. Weird how it also made Pikachu more powerful.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  2. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

In the Japanese dub there was no mention of armor. It was called like... super thunder rising or something? I feel like it was just poorly explained across the board

3. Mega Altaria

I don't think there was a super special name similar to Thunder Armor in the Japanese version. I think they just referred it as Thunder.

4. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

I've always wondered why Fighting is super-effective on Dark. Have you ever tried to punch or kick your way through the darkness? o_O

Jirachi100 and Mega Altaria like this.
  5. Mega Altaria

I think it's to do with Dark-types relying on cheating or dark tactics to fight. I think that Game Freak wanted to show that fair fighting wins over cheating.

Jirachi100 and NovaBrunswick like this.
  6. NovaBrunswick

In Origins, Red uses his Jolteon against Giovanni's Rhydon. It does take place during the events of the Gen 1 games, so it's... kind of excusable?

Mega Altaria likes this.
  7. Mega Altaria

A lot of character designs in Origins were modelled after characters in FRLG, which was the RBY remake. Abilities were already introduced in these games so using that Jolteon against Rhydon obviously wouldn't be a best idea ever considering one of Rhydon's Abilities.

8. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

I find it odd that Togetic can learn Smart Strike And Togekiss can’t. It has a spike on its head.

9. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Didn't he use it because knew Double Kick? I don't remember the exact scenario, but maybe the electric attack was to distract the Rhydon, and the Double Kick was to do damage.

10. NovaBrunswick

Hydreigon, with all its brutality (it's even called the 'Brutal' Pokémon), can't learn Nasty Plot. But Pichu, with all its cuteness... can.

Jirachi100 likes this.
  11. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Youngster Joey!

[​IMG]

Jirachi100, M.P. and NovaBrunswick like this.
  12. NovaBrunswick

I saw another comic like this one, but about the size of Flying-type Pokémon. Scyther can't learn Fly, but tiny Pidgey can. Even Doduo and Dodrio can learn Fly without wings. Maybe they float?

13. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I would say brutality is the opposite of the requirement to know Nasty Plot. Hydreigon's brutality is mindless. It just destroys whatever it sees. It doesn't "plot" anything. Meanwhile, Pichu learning the move is a reference to toddlers and young children coming up with schemes to get what they want or prank people.

Fly is in a really weird place because of its HM status. It's taught to Pokémon like Pidgey and Doduo purely for the mechanical reason of making the move easily accessible, seeing how important it is. Scyther, however, can only hover right above the ground, and isn't common enough to warrant being able to learn the move "just because," so it rightfully was not given the move.

14. shoz999

[​IMG]

15. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Did you never notice where it says "Oak's words echoed through your head...?" He's not literally telling you not to use an item, you're recalling advice that he gave to you in the past.

16. shoz999

Yes. It every time you try to pick up the bike. It's like he can telepathically communicate to your mind, watching from every corner...

17. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

That's because Dark is the "Evil" type in Japan, and good guys always Fight and win against Evil

18. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Sorry, are you being serious or joking? He's not speaking telepathically. You're just remembering advice he once gave you that is pertinent to the current situation. Oak is in no way actively communicating with you, telepathically or otherwise.

19. shoz999

Joking.

20. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Fair enough. It can be hard to tell sometimes.