• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that don’t make sense by Pokemon standards

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I feel like Thunder Armor is just a weird interpretation of the Guts ability
Yeah, it felt like it had more of a defensive property going by the name even though it retained the original effect of increasing the attacking power of Swellow. Weird how it also made Pikachu more powerful.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Yeah, it felt like it had more of a defensive property going by the name even though it retained the original effect of increasing the attacking power of Swellow. Weird how it also made Pikachu more powerful.

In the Japanese dub there was no mention of armor. It was called like... super thunder rising or something? I feel like it was just poorly explained across the board

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In the Japanese dub there was no mention of armor. It was called like... super thunder rising or something? I feel like it was just poorly explained across the board
I don't think there was a super special name similar to Thunder Armor in the Japanese version. I think they just referred it as Thunder.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I've always wondered why Fighting is super-effective on Dark. Have you ever tried to punch or kick your way through the darkness? o_O

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I've always wondered why Fighting is super-effective on Dark. Have you ever tried to punch or kick your way through the darkness? o_O
I think it's to do with Dark-types relying on cheating or dark tactics to fight. I think that Game Freak wanted to show that fair fighting wins over cheating.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
It made perfect sense at the time. The writers had no idea that Lightning Rod was going to be introduced.

In Origins, Red uses his Jolteon against Giovanni's Rhydon. It does take place during the events of the Gen 1 games, so it's... kind of excusable?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In Origins, Red uses his Jolteon against Giovanni's Rhydon. It does take place during the events of the Gen 1 games, so it's... kind of excusable?
A lot of character designs in Origins were modelled after characters in FRLG, which was the RBY remake. Abilities were already introduced in these games so using that Jolteon against Rhydon obviously wouldn't be a best idea ever considering one of Rhydon's Abilities.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Didn't he use it because knew Double Kick? I don't remember the exact scenario, but maybe the electric attack was to distract the Rhydon, and the Double Kick was to do damage.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I find it odd that Togetic can learn Smart Strike And Togekiss can’t. It has a spike on its head.

Hydreigon, with all its brutality (it's even called the 'Brutal' Pokémon), can't learn Nasty Plot. But Pichu, with all its cuteness... can.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

I saw another comic like this one, but about the size of Flying-type Pokémon. Scyther can't learn Fly, but tiny Pidgey can. Even Doduo and Dodrio can learn Fly without wings. Maybe they float?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Hydreigon, with all its brutality (it's even called the 'Brutal' Pokémon), can't learn Nasty Plot. But Pichu, with all its cuteness... can.

I would say brutality is the opposite of the requirement to know Nasty Plot. Hydreigon's brutality is mindless. It just destroys whatever it sees. It doesn't "plot" anything. Meanwhile, Pichu learning the move is a reference to toddlers and young children coming up with schemes to get what they want or prank people.

I saw another comic like this one, but about the size of Flying-type Pokémon. Scyther can't learn Fly, but tiny Pidgey can. Even Doduo and Dodrio can learn Fly without wings. Maybe they float?

Fly is in a really weird place because of its HM status. It's taught to Pokémon like Pidgey and Doduo purely for the mechanical reason of making the move easily accessible, seeing how important it is. Scyther, however, can only hover right above the ground, and isn't common enough to warrant being able to learn the move "just because," so it rightfully was not given the move.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Did you never notice where it says "Oak's words echoed through your head...?" He's not literally telling you not to use an item, you're recalling advice that he gave to you in the past.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Did you never notice where it says "Oak's words echoed through your head...?" He's not literally telling you not to use an item, you're recalling advice that he gave to you in the past.
Yes. It every time you try to pick up the bike. It's like he can telepathically communicate to your mind, watching from every corner...

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yes. It every time you try to pick up the bike. It's like he can telepathically communicate to your mind, watching from every corner...

Sorry, are you being serious or joking? He's not speaking telepathically. You're just remembering advice he once gave you that is pertinent to the current situation. Oak is in no way actively communicating with you, telepathically or otherwise.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord