• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Here is a gear grinder that really got under my skin back when I was a kid playing Red and Blue. All these flying Pokemon that could not use the HM move Fly. Wanna go somewhere far away but don't have a bird? What's that? You have Zubat, Butterfree, and Charizard? Well then teach them Fly and you don't need a Pidgey or a Spearow, or some bird. Oh yeah, they can't fly. Charizard that is twice the players body weight can't fly in Red and Blue? So let me get this straight. Doduo, a Pokemon with no wings can fly anywhere, but Zubat, Butterfree and Charizard can't?

Now they did change this in todays games. I guess they realized how silly that is. Well I'm pretty sure Butterfree, Beautifly and the bugs still can't use fly. Correct me if I am wrong. We have wingless Pokemon that can use fly, we have Pokemon that aren't even Flying types that can use Fly, but most Bug type Pokemon that are part Flying can't use Fly? That's like false advertisement right there. Oh sure, a Doduo that has no visible wings and a little bird can fly you but not the bugs. Your player would squash them. It's like making a Water Pokemon that can't use surf besides Magikarp. How does a Horsea carry a Pokemon Trainer twice it's size over large bodies of water, but Butterfree can't use Fly?

So that's my gear grinder for the day. Maybe the bugs can fly now and I just don't know. I haven't used them in any recent generation.

Nope, they still can't, which really, really sucks, especially considering that the only two Bugs which can fly aren't even Flying Types to begin with (Volcarona and Genesect).

This is actually a rather big Klink used Gear Grind-er for me, as well.

Stoateyez

Wears Boat Shoes
Well, I'm surprised that no-one had a problem defeating Brawly in Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire. Getting past the Makuhita was always easy for me, but once the Hariyama came out, he would always just murk me. It took several failed attempts to defeat him. I want to go as far as saying that he even matched Whitney's level of annoyance, but that would probably be an exaggeration. Both really ground my gears.

When you can neither run away, nor switch Pokemon, while battling Wobbuffet.

Trying to run/switch out against a Pokemon that has shadow tag/arena trap in general is super annoying.
That's why I hate the Lumiose Badlands in X and Y

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Here is a gear grinder that really got under my skin back when I was a kid playing Red and Blue. All these flying Pokemon that could not use the HM move Fly. Wanna go somewhere far away but don't have a bird? What's that? You have Zubat, Butterfree, and Charizard? Well then teach them Fly and you don't need a Pidgey or a Spearow, or some bird. Oh yeah, they can't fly. Charizard that is twice the players body weight can't fly in Red and Blue? So let me get this straight. Doduo, a Pokemon with no wings can fly anywhere, but Zubat, Butterfree and Charizard can't?

Now they did change this in todays games. I guess they realized how silly that is. Well I'm pretty sure Butterfree, Beautifly and the bugs still can't use fly. Correct me if I am wrong. We have wingless Pokemon that can use fly, we have Pokemon that aren't even Flying types that can use Fly, but most Bug type Pokemon that are part Flying can't use Fly? That's like false advertisement right there. Oh sure, a Doduo that has no visible wings and a little bird can fly you but not the bugs. Your player would squash them. It's like making a Water Pokemon that can't use surf besides Magikarp. How does a Horsea carry a Pokemon Trainer twice it's size over large bodies of water, but Butterfree can't use Fly?

So that's my gear grinder for the day. Maybe the bugs can fly now and I just don't know. I haven't used them in any recent generation.
Nope, they still can't, which really, really sucks, especially considering that the only two Bugs which can fly aren't even Flying Types to begin with (Volcarona and Genesect).

This is actually a rather big Klink used Gear Grind-er for me, as well.

I'm gonna point out that it's not that Pokémon like Butterfree or Beautifly can't fly. It's that you usually don't see people using butterflies or moths as a way to fly around.

Though that doesn't explain how Pokémon that are clearly too small too fly humans around like Pidgey and Pidove can learn that HM

Something annoying about X and Y.
How you had to encounter the legendary birds 10 or 12 times before you could get the chance to catch them in that cave in Azure Bay.

Regular roaming legendaries before these games were annoying enough to have to chase down.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Making up to the mid to high 40s in the battle maison, only to get wrecked by a Landorus or Raikou

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Another thing that grinds my gear; Aurorus not being able to learn Power Gem. Like, yeah...

Power Gem is notable for being exclusive to Pokémon with designs that incorporate gemlike features, thus being distributed among Pokémon independent of type.

The user attacks with a ray of light that sparkles as if it were made of gemstones

There are two lines of small ice crystals running the length of its body, one line on each side. These crystals produce freezing air reaching temperature of -240 degrees Fahrenheit.

~Bulbapedia

I'm not entirely sure what to look for on the subject of crystals and light, but then again maybe I'm just not entering the right google search terms. Looking up Crystal Light brings up a few results for an energy drink...

Danny1221

Transferring all my pokémon from pokémon white to Y is a complete joke.

Needing to pay (trial for bank ran out)
Needing the pokemon to be in pc box 1
Having to swap from transfer to bank every time
Having to swap game cartride every time to go with it

:mad:

Why can they not make it so much easier and also free?

SKyLineR32

Master Weasel

You can't give up $5 a year?

Rio!

Composer

1- DS can't communicate directly with the 3DS
2- Cloud Storage simply ain't free.

You don't have 5 dollars you can put to the side a YEAR?

If not, you have a few things you should worry more about.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Having an item and forgetting which pokemon you want to give a certain item to

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
Power Gem is notable for being exclusive to Pokémon with designs that incorporate gemlike features, thus being distributed among Pokémon independent of type.

The user attacks with a ray of light that sparkles as if it were made of gemstones

There are two lines of small ice crystals running the length of its body, one line on each side. These crystals produce freezing air reaching temperature of -240 degrees Fahrenheit.

~Bulbapedia

I'm not entirely sure what to look for on the subject of crystals and light, but then again maybe I'm just not entering the right google search terms. Looking up Crystal Light brings up a few results for an energy drink...

Misdreavus has "pearl"-like features on it but is still able to learn it. Corsola has no gems whatsoever and is not made by one, neither are Nosepass and Probopass, but still they are able to learn it. Sooooo, yeah...

Last edited:

Chalis

Victorious
Two words: Double Team.

Rio!

Composer
Yeah I paid it ain't that bad but it is also very time consuming :(

It takes literally no more than about 2-3 minutes to transfer them, especially if you don't have boxes that are crammed full. Would you rather play that mini-game you had to play from SS/HG-B/W in order to transfer Pokemon? A lot more time-consuming if you ask me.

Lord Fighting

Bank Ball Collector
Skarmory. So annoying to kill if you don't have Talonflame...