• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
That's actually a question I wanted to address...waterfall is amazing but why is it the only physical water move that people use/ suggest when aqua tail is right there? On every physical water type (azumarill, gyarados, floatzel. etc) the suggested water STAB is always waterfall but never aqua tail...sure aqua tail is slightly less accurate, but it has more power and can flinch as well (just like waterfall)...but then when I go to see sets for mega gallade, all of them say zen headbutt rather than psycho cut...it's as if they are contradicting themselves...(by "they" I mean competitive forums like Smogon and sometimes here)...I can kinda understand sludge bomb over sludge wave because of the higher chance to poison, but personally, I'd prefer power over the chance to get a non-toxic poison...I know I shouldn't be annoyed because whatevs right? But this is just something I've noticed...

I have used aqua tail on my Floatzel many times. It's a good move.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
What grinded my gears? I was really dissapointed with how many HMs I had t use in the overwold in OR. If they'd just make the moves like Cut and Rock Smash stronger, I would be fine. Thosetwo mvoes are so weak, they end up being a wasted spot on my Pokemon's Moves. And they are a paint to get rid of. I just can't overide them with a HM.

Now, this is just me, others may think differently.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
What grinded my gears? I was really dissapointed with how many HMs I had t use in the overwold in OR. If they'd just make the moves like Cut and Rock Smash stronger, I would be fine. Thosetwo mvoes are so weak, they end up being a wasted spot on my Pokemon's Moves. And they are a paint to get rid of. I just can't overide them with a HM.

Now, this is just me, others may think differently.

I feel the same way. My poor Sceptile was doomed to become my HM slave as he was the only Pokemon on my team that wasn't bred and EV trained and I didn't want HMs on those Pokemon. If HM moves could be deleted like any other moves, I wouldn't mind having to use them as I could always use a TM to replace them with better moves, but alas, that is not the case.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I feel the same way. My poor Sceptile was doomed to become my HM slave as he was the only Pokemon on my team that wasn't bred and EV trained and I didn't want HMs on those Pokemon. If HM moves could be deleted like any other moves, I wouldn't mind having to use them as I could always use a TM to replace them with better moves, but alas, that is not the case.

But you gotta understand that if you could delete HM moves, you would be stuck somewhere for eternity and the only way out is to reset the game.

I did like XY, and Pokémon Black since there were very few places where HMs were required.

Not really surprised HMs are required in the new game though since it is a direct remake to Pokémon Ruby where HMs were required.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
I guess your right. But, you could prevent getting atuck if you use a TM and then use the HM if nessesary.

It makes Pokemon unloved and turned into slaves. My Linoon was my slave for a while until I eventually had to leave her behind.

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
Mentioning moves that ohko pokemon doesnt make them less broken, ptherwise mega gengar wouldnt be banned, since it dies to doublade's shadow sneak.

And mega glalie isnt useless lol, literally nothing likes to switch in on a boosed doubleedge, and the things that do gets boped by EQ or freezedry, and dont even get me started on the explosion that OHKO's skarmory O_O

oh sorry for saying mega glaile bad, but i just dont think it makes the cut. (imo)
And thats actually correct, shadow ball from doublade can OHKO m-gengar BUT gengar is faster and will OHKO before doublade moves.
And seriously, who switches such a frail mega when you encounter a boosted pokemon (well, not me!)

Orithan

People complaining about the difficulty of the newer games. Pokemon has always been easy once you learn the ins and outs of the game, wherever it be Gen I or VI. Though Gen VI got easier with the reworked EXP mechanics, even without the EXP share turned on.

People complaining about Pokemon becoming a yearly release. It's not new and has always been happening throughout the series. Besides, who is forcing you to buy the remakes or third version? And please don't compare it to Call of Duty or any of the other big gritty shooters - Pokemon, with the exception of Yellow, always innovates more than what they have.

How the Rock gym has almost always been the first if it is included.

How not all of Wally's pokemon are fully evolved when you encounter him at the end of the Victory Road in ORAS. Really disappointing, especially considering what his main pokemon is.

Last edited:

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
People complaining about the difficulty of the newer games. Pokemon has always been easy once you learn the ins and outs of the game, wherever it be Gen I or VI. Though Gen VI got easier with the reworked EXP mechanics, even without the EXP share turned on.

I completely agree with you that it doesn't make sense to complain about Pokémon games getting easier since they always have been easy.

That's what I keep saying.

Ice Lock

Hello!
Players that block access to their flag and/or their character in their secret base.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?

This this a thousand times this. You don't know how hard I bash my head in every time I hear someone complaining that pokemon is "too easy."

Like, have people ever stopped to think that maybe the reason that it's easy is because you're older and know how video games work, or have grown with the series? Heck I go back to Pokemon Blue and breeze through that game now when I remember as a kid I had problems with it cause all I was doing was using the most powerful 5pp moves and didn't think strategically. I was just mashing attacks. And because you're older and have grown with the series you know when the gym leaders going to use a hyper potion and you exploit it. Or you know what type a pokemon is by just looking at their name so then you switch out to a pokemon that can counter that type. You know the type chart by heart. You're smarter than you were as a kid. It's a game aimed at kids, of course it's going to be easy.

How would you even make the games harder in the first place? If you added levels onto the gym leaders pokemon that would mean you'd just grind more, Steven had higher level pokemon than me and I still beat him. If you gave the gym leaders more pokemon it would just take longer, Steven has 6 pokemon and I still beat him. Maybe they could read your inputs but at that point that would just be cheep design. You can't really make pokemon easier. That's just the nature of AI verses a human.

To be honest I thought ORAS were a perfect difficulty. Now granted this might be because I didn't fight every trainer on every route and I only went where I had to go, I hadn't even discovered a few routes or towns till after I completed the delta episode and started hunting for mega stones. But I was rather under leveled when I challenged the E4. By the end only my Metagross was over level 60, the rest were between 49 to 58. I even had the EXP share turned on through my whole time playing. Heck I thought re-challenging the E4 was pretty nail biting. If I didn't have a butt load of revives and full restores I would have been screwed.

Pokemon isn't getting easier, you're just getting smarter.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
That's actually a question I wanted to address...waterfall is amazing but why is it the only physical water move that people use/ suggest when aqua tail is right there? On every physical water type (azumarill, gyarados, floatzel. etc) the suggested water STAB is always waterfall but never aqua tail...sure aqua tail is slightly less accurate, but it has more power and can flinch as well (just like waterfall)...but then when I go to see sets for mega gallade, all of them say zen headbutt rather than psycho cut...it's as if they are contradicting themselves...(by "they" I mean competitive forums like Smogon and sometimes here)...I can kinda understand sludge bomb over sludge wave because of the higher chance to poison, but personally, I'd prefer power over the chance to get a non-toxic poison...I know I shouldn't be annoyed because whatevs right? But this is just something I've noticed...

Zen headbutt lands 2hkos on several switch in that PCut can't making it the superior option despite the lower accuracy on medicham, and it's enough to ensure the 2hko mark on Gallade after a single SD on some bulky flying Pokemon's that are neutral to ice punch like gyarados after intimidate.

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
Quick Claw. Was facing a Quick Claw Shuckle in the Battle Maison earlier and it totally screwed me over. It wouldn't have been so bad had it not used Power Trick on one turn and then have Quick Claw activate the very next turn and KO both my Pokemon and my partner's with Rock Slide. My luck at its finest, right there >_>

No problem, we have faced it too...... CHEATERS

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
On the subject of new games being easier... maybe we're just more interested in speeding through more recent games because the actual technical stuff is faster?

blob

In ORAS, I find the camera is too zoomed in, compared to RSE. When you're in Rustburo and go into the Devon building, you can barely see the bins where the scientists are working. I think there should be a camera option, where you can choose how far in/out the camera is to who you're playing as.

I don't like that Mallville got re-made for no real reason. I bet GF spent so much time on making the layouts of places from RSE different, that they didn't get enough time to make the BF and instead just c/p'd the lame Battle Mansion.

I also don't like that a lot of post-game Pokémon got thrown into Hoenn because the weather brought them there. Plus there's barley any post-game and there aren't even any spin-off games this year to tied us over. (I'm not counting that drawing game)

On the subject of new games being easier... maybe we're just more interested in speeding through more recent games because the actual technical stuff is faster?

It's easier because of EXP share and whenever you add contest stats to Pokémon, they gain boosted EXP.

phanpycross

God-king
I dont want to rush though a pokemon game, RSE are hard as **** sometimes because you truly need to feel the wrath of having to grind, amd I respect them for that.

blob

I dont want to rush though a pokemon game, RSE are hard as **** sometimes because you truly need to feel the wrath of having to grind, amd I respect them for that.

This. At least make EXP Share mandatory for those who hate to grind.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
This. At least make EXP Share mandatory for those who hate to grind.

isn't that the reason why its turned on when you first get it in the first place?

Pink Harzard

So majestic
It's easier because of EXP share and whenever you add contest stats to Pokémon, they gain boosted EXP.

Actually, boosing the contest stats gives you Pokémon a heart in Pokémon Amie. The first effect of Pokémon Amie is Exp boost. So yeah, it is just an extra effect caused by the Amie heart.