• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
people who keep suggesting generation 1 or 2 remakes on the 3DS really bother me. nothing personal, but Gen. 1 and 2 already have remakes. i know you wish to relive the glory days & nostalgia in 3D, but let the Gen 3 and 4 players have a chance. to be honest, i preferred hoenn and sinnoh to kanto and johto anyhow. i always thought that they had more varied landscapes and more unique pokemon then kanto and johto. dont get me wrong, i understand that the the first two gens pioneered pokemon as a game series, and for that i am very thankful, but i feel as if Gen 3 and 4 have been somewhat maligned by the community.
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but for me, it's the opposite. Kanto and Johto get no love and are the ones maligned by the community due to them being outdated/not as "complex" as the other games/other reasons, while Hoenn and Sinnoh are the fan favorites for the reasons you mentioned and probably nostalgia. After all, the people who grew up with Hoenn and Sinnoh are at the right age to be talking about it on the Internet i.e. high school/college. The people who grew up with Kanto and Johto have probably either "outgrown" the franchise or have realized that any love for Kanto and Johto was purely childhood nostalgia (perhaps due to FR/LG and HG/SS) and now favor other generations.

Which is unfortunate, because Hoenn and Sinnoh were probably my two least favorite generations, but oh well. I'm weird, I guess.

You know what? That grinds my gears. This whole "genwunners vs. newgenners" generation war crap you see everywhere among the Pokemon fandom. It's fine if you have a certain generation as your favorite. Just don't force your opinion on other people or act like your opinion is fact. Yeah, I know, it's the Internet, and people are never going to stop doing that. It just bothers me that people feel the need to debate over something so opinionated and pointless. No generation is universally "better" than the others because everybody has different ideas of what makes a generation great.

JohnMango95

Loyal magma grunt
i agree, the generational wars are entirely arbitrary and are entirely annoying. when you think about it, most of the Pokemon games are really good. i guess the only way a person can have favorite is if they grew up with a certain generation. in my case, i got into Pokemon a little later on, around gen 3. i didn't really play pokemon when i was little.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
A problem with the dub openings is that a lot of them have good music, but it just doesn't go well with the animation. In my humble opinion, some of the worst offenders are Believe in Me, Battle Cry - (Stand Up!) (version 2) and We Will Carry On!. The second one I listed wouldn't have been half as bad if they hadn't have split the all-of-Ash's-Pokémon-using-attacks clip from High Touch in half. Meanwhile, in the Japanese version, there's Pokémon Symphonic Medley and High Touch!, which I personally think don't fit the animation, and Spurt!, which I just don't like at all.
/ramble

Pika Pika333

Impulsive Trainer
Also, what grinds my gears is the fact it took me half of my life before I ever found my first shiny (that wasn't the Red Gyarados, the Black Haxorus, or the Shiny Gible/Dratini)!

From a couple pages back, but now that I've thought about it...

One final thing that gets my gears grinding, and it has been for a while, is all the negativity surrounding there being no battle frontier. I'll say right now I was never a fan of the battle frontier, I never cared for it. And I understand it was a lot of peoples favorite thing in emerald, and it does suck that it isn't in the game. However there comes a time where voicing that displeasure turns into just complaining or flat out whining. I'm not going to state any names but TBH I don't even really care to go into the "expectations" thread anymore because it's pretty much turned into a place where people are complaining that BF isn't in the game. Yes it's not in the game, we gets that, it's been talked about for a few weeks now can we just move on.

Yeah, I agree with everything here. Including not being that big of a fan of the Battle Frontier.
At this point in time, though, it's nice that you don't see it that much any more, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying to hear constantly when it does happen.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to express your disappointment over it not being included, as long as you're being civil and polite about it.
There's no need to act like an obnoxious whiny brat about it.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
How they haven't written new PokéDex entries for old Pokémon since the fourth generation, save for Rayquaza in ORAS.

blob

Yeah, I agree with everything here. Including not being that big of a fan of the Battle Frontier.
At this point in time, though, it's nice that you don't see it that much any more, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying to hear constantly when it does happen.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to express your disappointment over it not being included, as long as you're being civil and polite about it.
There's no need to act like an obnoxious whiny brat about it.

True, but I would have liked to gone to the Emerald BF with the Physical/Special split. Especially since it's better than Platinum/HGSS's BF.

How they haven't written new PokéDex entries for old Pokémon since the fourth generation, save for Rayquaza in ORAS.

I personally never liked how Pokédex entries got shorter and shorter. Thankfully ORAS goes back to two lines per Pokémon, as XY's were really short.

Last edited:

Navarch

Hoenn's lack of flying types that can use Fly and are introduced in Gen III. Altaria, Swellow, Pelipper, Salamence, and Tropius. Basically Swellow and Altaria for me, since IMO Pelipper (Who I wouldn't use because Swampert) and Tropius are a little too weak and Salamence comes so late in the game. But I hate regional birds, so Swellow is out. This leaves me with Altaria. But then her Mega Typing overlaps with Gardevoir (really it doesn't bug me too much, but still). Game Freak, you leave me in difficult positions. Luckily, in ORAS, Soaring is a good alternative for Fly, but it just takes longer.

Also, Hoenn seriously lacks special attackers that aren't Water types.

And Ghost needs something else to resist it.

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Hoenn's lack of flying types that can use Fly and are introduced in Gen III. Altaria, Swellow, Pelipper, Salamence, and Tropius. Basically Swellow and Altaria for me, since IMO Pelipper (Who I wouldn't use because Swampert) and Tropius are a little too weak and Salamence comes so late in the game. But I hate regional birds, so Swellow is out. This leaves me with Altaria. But then her Mega Typing overlaps with Gardevoir (really it doesn't bug me too much, but still). Game Freak, you leave me in difficult positions. Luckily, in ORAS, Soaring is a good alternative for Fly, but it just takes longer.
Just out of curiousity,why do you hate regional birds so much?

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal

Also, Hoenn seriously lacks special attackers that aren't Water types.

And Ghost needs something else to resist it.

dont forget crobat and Xatu. I used crobat.

Edit: I forgot the 'hoenn introduced ' part.

If you were only looking for the HM02 pokemon, the eon duo is here!

Last edited:

Navarch

dont forget crobat and Xatu. I used crobat.

Edit: I forgot the 'hoenn introduced ' part.

If you were only looking for the HM02 pokemon, the eon duo is here!

Yeah, I think the Eon Duo solves my problem. Plus, whenever I soar, I get to see some great graphics, so that's a plus.

blob

When you lose count when you're EV training!

Save, use a white punching bag in Super Training, and the numbers will be shown. Reset and continue.

Just out of curiousity,why do you hate regional birds so much?

I want to know that too. I like the designs and I personally think there should be more regions with two early birds, as I really like bird Pokémon, and I want to see Black Bird, Woodpecker, Wagtail, Jay, Swift, Peacock, Goose, Snipe and another Seagull Pokémon.

One thing I really don't like, is when people say there should only be one kind of Pokémon per species, like how there's two Jellyfish Pokémon lines now and how people won't stop complaining that there's two Pigeon lines. It's good to have diversity and the two Pigeon lines end differently anyway. It's not like they both end as Pheasants or Ospreys.

Last edited:

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
I personally never liked how Pokédex entries got shorter and shorter. Thankfully ORAS goes back to two lines per Pokémon, as XY's were really short.
But it still looks really jarring; Pokémon from the first three generations have significantly more detailed entries than ones from the last three.

phanpycross

God-king
How on earth did they think releasing yanma without an evolution would be alright, it's stats are terrible even by NFE standards.

blob

How on earth did they think releasing yanma without an evolution would be alright, it's stats are terrible even by NFE standards.

It was back when you were supposed to capture Pokémon, discover they're weak and then move on. The Caterpie line was what you started with, moved onto Paras, then onto Pinsir/Scyther. You were never expected to keep the same 6 Pokémon with you for the whole game.

But it still looks really jarring; Pokémon from the first three generations have significantly more detailed entries than ones from the last three.

They even recycled the Gen 5 Dex info for Pokémon introduced in Unova. Sadly, some Pokémon only get two proper dex entries.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan

I think it's a good thing that bad Pokémon exist, because that way you'll know what Pokémon not to use.

If there were only good Pokémon out there, there would be no bad Pokémon to compare the good ones to.