• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Like how the Ice type has 5 weaknesses and only resists itself.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I was always ready for those moves when I was younger but now, I feel that they aren't necessary because they're too much like Hyper Beam and also because I've grown to a competitive environment where there's barely any Hyper Beams and those sort of moves.

Yea I guess the introduction of the most powerful starter moves was appealing at first, but now not really.

Like how the Ice type has 5 weaknesses and only resists itself.

I think Grass is the only type that has 5 weaknesses, Ice has 4. I really hoped that GF improved these other types since the introduction of the Fairy type would've been a suitable time to do so.

KillerDraco

I think Grass is the only type that has 5 weaknesses

Rock types.

People making such a big deal about the Gen 6 game's post-game content annoys me. Like, aside from very few games, Pokemon games historically have always had terrible post-game content. XY's postgame content, for instance, is no worse than Ruby and Sapphire's. Gen 5's postgame content was stellar but it's the only notable exception. And no, don't even mention Gen 2, because 1) Johto was a short region to begin with, and 2) Kanto's potential was largely squandered (even in the remakes) due to being able to be breezed through and having very little meaningful content beyond random battles.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think Grass is the only type that has 5 weaknesses, Ice has 4. I really hoped that GF improved these other types since the introduction of the Fairy type would've been a suitable time to do so.

Just had another look at the Ice matchup and it had 4 weaknesses, Fighting, Rock, Fire and Steel. I was kind of hoping that it had more resistances, more than just itself.

XXD17

Draco rex
If you are doing some ingame challenge the Pokémon in Cyrus platinum team is quite brutal speed wise by the level 42 gap, Cynthia had just level inflation but her team could be highly capitalized by virtue of how passive spiritomb lead was, Lucian was harder to me than Cynthia on my first run of pearl and even platinum.

Red was a complete pushover outside of snorlax by virtue of lack of great non trade evolve fighting Pokémon outside of heracross or hitmonlee if you bothered enough to get one, Donphan, Stantler and my own Snorlax broke him real hard with 15 level difference on gsc...It was anticlimactic as hell.

Lol you are talking like everyone goes through the game while building a competitive team that has good coverage, setup moves and proper held items. I applaud how you can do that but please understand that a lot of people just like to mess around through the story to have a little fun. It might not mean much, but I know that's what I did lol. The "hardness" of each battle really just comes down to what kind of team you built and most players going through the game casually will have a casual team i.e. 'mons with 4 STAB moves, no setup moves, no items, etc...and they just muscle through the game. Going through the sort is an opportunity for me to throw competitive to the side: I've got an excadrill that could learn swords dance, but I'm going to keep dig because of damage. I know this isn't exactly the correct way of thinking, but the story is just so easy that you can do stuff like this and get away with it.

When I went through platinum, I had an over-levelled empoleon with surf, ice beam, drill peck, and grass knot. Needless to say, Cyrus was a piece of cake. Honchkrow couldn't touch me, houndoom, couldn't touch me, weavile couldn't touch me and crobat couldn't either. There was the issue of gyarados, but I had a luxray AND staraptor with intimidate and that was that. Honestly speaking, unless you picked torterra as your starter, you shouldn't have too much of a hard time against Cyrus because chances are, you also got a luxray or a staraptor as well like most of us did. Of course I can't speak on the behalf of everyone.

Also, what would you do if the spiritomb starts spamming double team and you get screwed by RNG? Not only does it have pressure, but Cynthia has full restores. Sure you can try to set up on it, but what's the point in the end when you can't even hit the damned thing? When I faced cynthia, I had lucario and garchomp to face. What was luxray and staraptor going to do against them? I got a garchomp too, but it had dig and d-claw as its best moves and was under-levelled while her's has EQ. needless to say, it took my whole team just to fight garchomp. I had to wait until it used giga impact, so I can switch in empoleon and hope that ice beam killed. That's why most people say Cynthia is hard. If you are the type to muscle through the story (like me) the game doesn't give you convenient enough pokmeon to do that with cynthia all because of garchomp. Sure she isn't too bad, but that means you have to go out of your way to prepare beforehand. I muscled through emerald with just a sceptile, muscled through fire red with just a charizard and zapdos, muscled through BW with just a haxorus and serperior, muscled through HGSS with just a dragonite and typhlosion, muscled through XY with just a delphox and goodra, muscled through ORAS again with just a sceptile. When I battled Cynthia and tried to muscle through with empoleon, it didn't work at all. I actually lost the first time.

I know this is only anectdotal evidence and of course I'm not trying to invalidate anything that you are saying because Cyrus may have indeed been a hard battle for you. All I'm trying to say is that Cynthia is definitely not easy, especially to a casual player who only spams attacking moves like I like to do when playing through the story.

I do agree with you though that Red isn't really hard. The only problem I had with him was snorlax. But, you could catch mewtwo at that point anyways so the battle was easy. Snorlax was the only 'mon that ever gave me trouble.

I also agree that ghetsis was hard. Couldn't muscle through him either. I mostly had problems with that stupid cofagrigus where it spammed toxic and double team. So annoying. None of his other 'mons were hard though. I had to set up d-dance with haxorus and sweep that way.

You know what really grinds my gears? Confusion and Frozen. Confusion annoys the crap out of me because I always end up getting confused for 4 turns minimum, of which I have an 80% chance to hit myself. Then, when I confuse an enemy, they either don't hit themselves or snap out of it on the 2nd turn. Frozen is even worse, I get frozen for 5 turns (I **** you not) and the mofo defrosts instantly whenever I freeze him.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Rock types.

People making such a big deal about the Gen 6 game's post-game content annoys me. Like, aside from very few games, Pokemon games historically have always had terrible post-game content. XY's postgame content, for instance, is no worse than Ruby and Sapphire's. Gen 5's postgame content was stellar but it's the only notable exception. And no, don't even mention Gen 2, because 1) Johto was a short region to begin with, and 2) Kanto's potential was largely squandered (even in the remakes) due to being able to be breezed through and having very little meaningful content beyond random battles.

Oh whoops, should've checked before-hand.

I guess people got their expectations high from the last few games since Platinum. Basically every game after that seemed to have some form of greater postgame, even B/W. It's true that most 1st pairs of games in each generation lack postgame so it makes sense for X/Y.

You know what really grinds my gears? Confusion and Frozen. Confusion annoys the crap out of me because I always end up getting confused for 4 turns minimum, of which I have an 80% chance to hit myself. Then, when I confuse an enemy, they either don't hit themselves or snap out of it on the 2nd turn. Frozen is even worse, I get frozen for 5 turns (I **** you not) and the mofo defrosts instantly whenever I freeze him.

Status is always annoying and haxy, ha ha. Battles generally depend on this kind of luck, especially competitive.

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Lol you are talking like everyone goes through the game while building a competitive team that has good coverage, setup moves and proper held items. I applaud how you can do that but please understand that a lot of people just like to mess around through the story to have a little fun. It might not mean much, but I know that's what I did lol. The "hardness" of each battle really just comes down to what kind of team you built and most players going through the game casually will have a casual team i.e. 'mons with 4 STAB moves, no setup moves, no items, etc...and they just muscle through the game. Going through the sort is an opportunity for me to throw competitive to the side: I've got an excadrill that could learn swords dance, but I'm going to keep dig because of damage. I know this isn't exactly the correct way of thinking, but the story is just so easy that you can do stuff like this and get away with it.

When I went through platinum, I had an over-levelled empoleon with surf, ice beam, drill peck, and grass knot. Needless to say, Cyrus was a piece of cake. Honchkrow couldn't touch me, houndoom, couldn't touch me, weavile couldn't touch me and crobat couldn't either. There was the issue of gyarados, but I had a luxray AND staraptor with intimidate and that was that. Honestly speaking, unless you picked torterra as your starter, you shouldn't have too much of a hard time against Cyrus because chances are, you also got a luxray or a staraptor as well like most of us did. Of course I can't speak on the behalf of everyone.

Also, what would you do if the spiritomb starts spamming double team and you get screwed by RNG? Not only does it have pressure, but Cynthia has full restores. Sure you can try to set up on it, but what's the point in the end when you can't even hit the damned thing? When I faced cynthia, I had lucario and garchomp to face. What was luxray and staraptor going to do against them? I got a garchomp too, but it had dig and d-claw as its best moves and was under-levelled while her's has EQ. needless to say, it took my whole team just to fight garchomp. I had to wait until it used giga impact, so I can switch in empoleon and hope that ice beam killed. That's why most people say Cynthia is hard. If you are the type to muscle through the story (like me) the game doesn't give you convenient enough pokmeon to do that with cynthia all because of garchomp. Sure she isn't too bad, but that means you have to go out of your way to prepare beforehand. I muscled through emerald with just a sceptile, muscled through fire red with just a charizard and zapdos, muscled through BW with just a haxorus and serperior, muscled through HGSS with just a dragonite and typhlosion, muscled through XY with just a delphox and goodra, muscled through ORAS again with just a sceptile. When I battled Cynthia and tried to muscle through with empoleon, it didn't work at all. I actually lost the first time.

I know this is only anectdotal evidence and of course I'm not trying to invalidate anything that you are saying because Cyrus may have indeed been a hard battle for you. All I'm trying to say is that Cynthia is definitely not easy, especially to a casual player who only spams attacking moves like I like to do when playing through the story.

I do agree with you though that Red isn't really hard. The only problem I had with him was snorlax. But, you could catch mewtwo at that point anyways so the battle was easy. Snorlax was the only 'mon that ever gave me trouble.

I also agree that ghetsis was hard. Couldn't muscle through him either. I mostly had problems with that stupid cofagrigus where it spammed toxic and double team. So annoying. None of his other 'mons were hard though. I had to set up d-dance with haxorus and sweep that way.

Cyrus is often regarded as the big wall on self imposed challenge runs, base 130 speed weavile, 120 atk dark type in a region with mostly 3 resistances to him and slower base speed outside Lucario, intimidate gyarados and houndoom are indeed quite a varied challenge to people that evenly trained their Pokémon or is training newly acquired ones in the regions post gym 7 as outside of the Sinnoh trinity of free lowbies this region only offers medicham, schyter, gabite and bronzong as direct Midway answers, it's an issue with Pokémon availability and level design.

Spiritomb lacks the ability to surpass set up sweepers such as gyarados roselia Pikachu toxicroak houndoom and Lucario given the tm availability and movesets of those at level 50, her whole team is food for toxicroak/gyarados in platinum for crying out loud.

I personally did a roselia sweep on DP and a machamp one in pt, for all the hate it gets the mothim line is also another that can destroy Cynthia singlehandedly.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
It absolutely grinds my gears how in ORAS, after they changed the Battle Frontier for the Battle Resort, Game Freak made an NPC that outright tells you "The Battle Resort is still popular but there are plans to make it a more special and robust place, called the Battle Frontier." At first, I was annoyed there was no Frontier. But after some time, I actually got into liking the Resort. I finally got over fthe absence of the Frontier, only to have some random dude trolling me in game. When you decide to substitute a fan favorite area like the Frontier for a new area, AT LEAST DON'T TROLL US in game. I mean, at least give a decent PR to the place you put IN the game, don't make an NPC telling me how the place you didn't put in the game is better than the place you substituted it with!

ORAS is such an awesome game, but this might be the worst NPC dialogue ever.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It absolutely grinds my gears how in ORAS, after they changed the Battle Frontier for the Battle Resort, Game Freak made an NPC that outright tells you "The Battle Resort is still popular but there are plans to make it a more special and robust place, called the Battle Frontier." At first, I was annoyed there was no Frontier. But after some time, I actually got into liking the Resort. I finally got over fthe absence of the Frontier, only to have some random dude trolling me in game. When you decide to substitute a fan favorite area like the Frontier for a new area, AT LEAST DON'T TROLL US in game. I mean, at least give a decent PR to the place you put IN the game, don't make an NPC telling me how the place you didn't put in the game is better than the place you substituted it with!

ORAS is such an awesome game, but this might be the worst NPC dialogue ever.

Maybe because it's set in a different dimension than the Hoenn in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Maybe because it's set in a different dimension than the Hoenn in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.

In that case, why even mention the Frontier? If you decide to leave the Battle Frontier out of the game, don't mention it at all! Don't have a model of it saying it is under construction, don't have an NPC saying it will be better than the Resort. Precisely because ORAS occurs in a different dimension, they didn't have the obligation of mentioning the Frontier in game.

As I said, the Battle Resort is a very cool area. Why belittle it, by saying it is going to be changed to a facility that you purposely left out of the game? I just feel the Battle Resort doesn't get any credit from fans, because it is belittled in game, by Game Freak themselves, by people saying it is going to be substituted by the Frontier. If you know it isn't going to be changed, why tease us with it? Why make the Resort feel like an inferior place?

Last edited:

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
They might've just done that for world building (though that might not be the right term to use...). Match Call was also said to be "in-development" as part of the Nav+, and Wallace becoming Steven's stand in was loosely referred to too. Then there's at least one reference to Juan, and Scott scouting for the Brains.

They're not necessarily coming down on the Battle Resort, its just the starting point of a much more grand and profitable idea.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
How the GB (could've been called GBA instead) Sounds didn't make it to ORAS. There would've been nice trumpet sounds to remind me more of RSE like the same effect in HGSS with GSC sounds.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
They might've just done that for world building (though that might not be the right term to use...). Match Call was also said to be "in-development" as part of the Nav+, and Wallace becoming Steven's stand in was loosely referred to too. Then there's at least one reference to Juan, and Scott scouting for the Brains.

They're not necessarily coming down on the Battle Resort, its just the starting point of a much more grand and profitable idea.
Yes, but the side effect of that world building is making the Battle Resort always feel inferior to the Battle Frontier. Why hint at a better Facility, if you don't plan on adding it? You chose the Resort instead of the Frontier, so support your Resort in game, don't make it look like a beta version of a better Facility.

Let's not even talk about how this "the Battle Frontier project has started" sign, made a big part of the fandom expect a DLC.I think this really hurt the game, as it made fans have unreasonable expectations for an already top class game.

Wasn't it much easier and better to just have the Battle Tower, instead of the Maison, but functioning like the Maison?

So yeah, my only issue with ORAS is how open ended they made it. It keeps people expecting things that are said in game, but are obviously not going to be added.

Last edited:

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Yes, but the side effect of that world building is making the Battle Resort always feel inferior to the Battle Frontier. Why hint at a better Facility, if you don't plan on adding it? You chose the Resort instead of the Frontier, so support your Resort in game, don't make it look like a beta version of a better Facility.

Let's not even talk about how this "the Battle Frontier project has started" sign, made a big part of the fandom expect a DLC.I think this really hurt the game, as it made fans have unreasonable expectations for an already top class game.

Wasn't it much easier and better to just have the Battle Tower, instead of the Maison, but functioning like the Maison?

So yeah, my only issue with ORAS is how open ended they made it. It keeps people expecting things that are said in game, but are obviously not going to be added.

It was just a reference from one NPC. You're blowing it out of proportion. It would have been cool I guess to have the Battle Frontier/Battle Tower (I don't know since I never played Emerald), but it didn't happen and you should have guessed it wouldn't since GF hasn't done DLC in the past beyond small islands that house a single event legendary and they also haven't made a remake of the third version game.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
It was just a reference from one NPC. You're blowing it out of proportion. It would have been cool I guess to have the Battle Frontier/Battle Tower (I don't know since I never played Emerald), but it didn't happen and you should have guessed it wouldn't since GF hasn't done DLC in the past beyond small islands that house a single event legendary and they also haven't made a remake of the third version game.

A reference from one NPC, but a completely useless one. And I never said I thought there would be a DLC with the Frontier. I was sure there wouldn't be one. And I didn't think a Frontier was necessary in ORAS. But a lot of people expected it, and that teaser made them diss ORAS. And that's not the game's fault, it's Game Freak's fault. There was no reason to remind fans that the Frontier is better and that it's not in the game. The game doesn't win anything from this badly executed Emerald homage. It would be much better to just imply that in this dimension, the island was taken over by the Chatelaines, instead of the Frontier Brains, and the absence of the Frontier would have easily been explained.

As I already said, there is no reason to say "the Battle Frontier project has started!" or "they are going to make a better Facility here", when we all know this facility is NOT going to be made, and Masuda himself said in an interview that he didn't want to add the Battle Frontier, because today's fans don't want such fscilities.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Like how Clamp works in Gen 1 games. When it attacks your Pokémon, your Pokémon can't move for 2-5 turns depending on RNG.

Tylar

A reference from one NPC, but a completely useless one. And I never said I thought there would be a DLC with the Frontier. I was sure there wouldn't be one. And I didn't think a Frontier was necessary in ORAS. But a lot of people expected it, and that teaser made them diss ORAS. And that's not the game's fault, it's Game Freak's fault. There was no reason to remind fans that the Frontier is better and that it's not in the game. The game doesn't win anything from this badly executed Emerald homage. It would be much better to just imply that in this dimension, the island was taken over by the Chatelaines, instead of the Frontier Brains, and the absence of the Frontier would have easily been explained.

As I already said, there is no reason to say "the Battle Frontier project has started!" or "they are going to make a better Facility here", when we all know this facility is NOT going to be made, and Masuda himself said in an interview that he didn't want to add the Battle Frontier, because today's fans don't want such fscilities.

I guess your argument is fair enough but I feel like you're reading too much into an insignificant NPC's Dialog.

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
Zinnia. She's a massive jerk that almost got the world destroyed twice, yet the game treats her as being in the right and we are expected to like her.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
I guess your argument is fair enough but I feel like you're reading too much into an insignificant NPC's Dialog.

You are probably right about the NPC dialogue being insignificant, but the Battle Tower model teaser was more significant. Why bother adding a model of the Battle Tower, and not the Tower itself!?

This really made no sense, since the French/Kalosian Maison doesn't suite Hoenn's atmosphere at all...