• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Sky battles were flawed in allowing certain Pokémon participate especially the ones that look like they should not be able to take part in them. Inverse was a nice twist to battling as you had to come up with strategies different than your usual method of battling.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
The fact that Triple, Rotation, Horde, Sky, and Inverse battles were removed from Sun & Moon.

I'm also in agreement. I loved Rotation and Inverse battles, with the former I used as my battle style in my secret base in ORAS because of how fun I found it. Inverse was a very fun twist to the formula that made you think more. Triples and Hordes, while not my favourite, still were fun to do once in a while, especially since the latter made EV training easier. Don't really care for Sky battles though; way too limited.

I do think the reason they were removed were because of technical reasons. Even back in gen 6, there were certain Pokémon who made the game very laggy if there were multiples on screen (Moltres and Hoopa U immediately come to mind). Gen 7, especially if you're playing an older 3DS model lags a lot in JUST doubles, so image how laggy it would be in triples, especially with very large Pokémon.

I hope they do come back in the future. It's always fun to try out new styles of battle, maybe we can see some new ones.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My favorite was Rotation, so I'm mad it's gone the most. What also grinds my gears is that the Razor Claw, an item necessary for Sneasel to evolve, is only available as an item held by the Jangmo-o line. It's like the one evolutionary item that has this issue

Echo Nacyl

The removal of Triple and Rotation didn't bother me much. I didn't really use them. Inverse, though, I loved. It's interesting to think around and a great way to practice resistances. I was/am hoping that a future Frontier (if it ever happens) would/will have a facility that's fought in Inverse style. Also, it's even more frustrating that inverse is absent when the mechanic is the basis of one of the Plaza missions. It seems awfully odd to me to mention inverse battles, but not include them.

Firebrand

Indomitable
My favorite was Rotation, so I'm mad it's gone the most. What also grinds my gears is that the Razor Claw, an item necessary for Sneasel to evolve, is only available as an item held by the Jangmo-o line. It's like the one evolutionary item that has this issue

Razor Fang is the same way (Bruxish), and technically Metal Coat. Metal Coat can technically be found with a 5% on ten pokemon, but only three of those pokemon can be found in the wild (Magnemite, Skarmory and Beldum). I haven't really checked the GTS much after completing the Alola dex and getting the Shining Charm, but I do recall that Scizor and Weavile were the hottest commodities on the GTS pre-Bank update.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Bringing a team that you tested out for almost a week that did well to an online competition, only to lose badly due to in game bullcrap

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Not being able to save between becoming Champion and going after Tapu Koko

Gas Mankey

This. This so much. I'm not too concerned about Sky battles as they weren't exactly exciting for me but Triples was and still is my favourite battling style. Can only hope that they were removed because of technical limitations and not some other reason so we can have them all back if we get new main series games on the Switch.

Triples was probably the most painful to come to terms with. I'd spent quite a while, months maybe trying to perfect a Sand team, only to not be able to use it, I was originally going to post the Sand team in the 7th Gen RMT for some feedback etc, bit of a bummer.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Sort of an obscure feature, but the loss of the Battle Institute. I used it a-lot in XY's post-game. You could earn up to 15 BP for just 5 Battles, and you didn't even have to win every game (because it was more performance based). It was nice for grinding BP and testing out strategies without running the risk of losing a streak at the Maison.

I think it would've been cool to expand on it, maybe include something like the Battle Sim tutorial/practice sessions from XD.

Last edited:

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
The Institute was an "obscure" feature only because GF never advertised it properly in the games. It is a different battle facility from your typical Battle Tower clone, but not many people are aware of this.

Last edited:

Vroomer

That Sneasel evo item was one of the crappy cherries on top of the crap sundae known as Sun/Moon. The more I think about the potential of Gen 7 vs the end result, both games really grind my gears. This is after two play throughs of Sun and one of Moon. I traded a Cosmog for something on the GTS holding the claw item. Just to finish my Gen 7 Dex. Only to find out the National Dex was flat out absent in Sun/Moon.... aaarrgghhh!

Seeing a Pokémon without a Dex number in a game, after becoming the champ... that grinds my gears. (Not a 100% repeat of my previous grinding g of gears post!)

Hopefully the DPPt remakes* fix the disappoint. Wouldn't mind a HGSS remake, but it's time for DPPt. They're due.

*calling this, again. A personal hunch. Gut feeling. Intuition.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
That Sneasel evo item was one of the crappy cherries on top of the crap sundae known as Sun/Moon. The more I think about the potential of Gen 7 vs the end result, both games really grind my gears. This is after two play throughs of Sun and one of Moon. I traded a Cosmog for something on the GTS holding the claw item. Just to finish my Gen 7 Dex. Only to find out the National Dex was flat out absent in Sun/Moon.... aaarrgghhh!

Seeing a Pokémon without a Dex number in a game, after becoming the champ... that grinds my gears. (Not a 100% repeat of my previous grinding g of gears post!)

Hopefully the DPPt remakes* fix the disappoint. Wouldn't mind a HGSS remake, but it's time for DPPt. They're due.

*calling this, again. A personal hunch. Gut feeling. Intuition.

I agree that it is incredibly frustrating. What makes this owrse is that it isn't the only item, as you need to take a Kings Rock and Metal Coat from wild Pokemon to evolve Scyther and both Kings Rock evolutions

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Grinds my gears that in the GTS, you can't determine items Pokemon will hold along with Pokemon. It would make trading for rare items and item-based trade evolutions a lot easier

nel3

Crimson Dragon
what grinds my gears are the nuking Z moves. so damn OP and annoying to deal with.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Minimise Alolan Muk in the Battle Tree. Who designed this garbage? It's the absolute worst thing to face in the tree and I can't do anything to stop it with my current team as my Taunter has Prankster and my Z-Move is Ghost type. I hate this thing so much. It's gotten so bad and so common (I don't think I've ever faced Colress where he didn't bring this thing and it's usually a 50/50 chance that he appears for me) that I've designed a team for the sole purpose of countering it and other evasion reliant Pokémon. Good luck ruining me now, Muk!

Then there's Walrein. 2 of them in fact. Set no1 - Stockpile, Rest, Frost Breath and something else (Snore IIRC), and set no4 - Rest, Sleep Talk, Sheer Cold and Fissure (with a Lax Incense to boot)! These are always annoying because no1 takes so many hits to go down and no4 is just downright cheap. Is it wrong that I'm actually going to throw no4 right back in their face? Probably, but I don't care.

I've also been seriously lacking in Scald burns and Poison Point activation while the opponent seems to get flinches, crits, parahax, burns and everything else a lot more than they should. That is infuriating.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
When you try to catch a shiny and it uses Self-Destruct. ;-;

This is why I never hunt for a shiny Geodude

On that note, getting a shiny that evolves via trade is frustrating in its own way. You're forced to put a LOT of trust if you don't have a second game to get it up

Last edited:

TheJLeeTeam

JLeeTeam
In X & Y I didn't like how it still used the grid based movement in the overworld. It felt like it was a 2D game at it's core with 3D polygons tacked on to it. Furthermore you permanently had roller skates if you used the circle pad and if you go into grass you slow down so you had to use the D-pad to run which I found to be awkward. You can use the bike but I find it a hassle to turn on and off if I just want to run in grass. Also because it still used grid based movement the most of the environments still looked generic and it looked like it would've been better off as a sprite based DS game. Colosseum, XD, and even other 3DS games like Yo-Kai Watch had more proper 3D overworlds. It's not a huge deal but it was very disappointing. I didn't mind it as much in ORAS because it was just a remake and there were no roller skates.

I'm very glad Sun & Moon has a more proper 3D overworld.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
When you try to catch a shiny and it uses Self-Destruct. ;-;

all you need is a golduck with damp and hope it doesnt struggle to death on you.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
all you need is a golduck with damp and hope it doesnt struggle to death on you.

Too bad Golduck cannot learn False Swipe or any specific amount of damage, and if you don't want to worry about Golduck all its attacks would OHKO it...I guess there is Sturdy, but that raises the question of how you'd feasibly catch a Galvanize Geodude or shiny Geodude without fear of knocking it out. Thank Arceus for that high catch rate, but that still leaves question of how to make sure you can saftely get dat Galvanize