• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Luthor

It does annoy me a little that the gems (other than normal) are not yet able to be used in sun and moon. I realise the probably didn't do it at first to make sure z-moves were more important but I figured by now the gems would be released as an event.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
People putting up Ash's Pikachu for impossible trades on the GTS, same goes for other Pokemon such as Ekans. It takes a lot of fun out of it.

These are really annoying. I don't even know how they ask for some of the Pokemon they do (guessing by hacking) but they shouldn't even show up if trades are impossible. It looks like it's the same person putting all of them up too.

It does annoy me a little that the gems (other than normal) are not yet able to be used in sun and moon. I realise the probably didn't do it at first to make sure z-moves were more important but I figured by now the gems would be released as an event.

I miss this too. The Flying Gem, Acrobatics combo was one of my favourite combinations to use.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

Not to mention the fact we KNOW the Fairy Gem exists and it has yet to be released to the public.

Luthor

Not to mention the fact we KNOW the Fairy Gem exists and it has yet to be released to the public.

That's very true and it's not like they couldn't have simply chose not to put the gems in this gen. The fact that they exist in the data but simply aren't used (and even if you ignore the data the fact that you can get a normal gem gives it away) seems an odd choice. Hope they add them all eventually including the fairy gem.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
It not only taking the longest of any Pokemon to evolve Deino into Hydreigon, but an ability that makes attacks unreliable

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I've got to vent again for just a second. Something that's been grinding my gears is Smogon's weekend giveaway regime. I've been very fortunate (and thankful) last year for getting Kabutops and a Magneton, but this year I've been dookied on so many times I'm at the point of just blowing it off! There's been some very attractive Pokes given away (that Medicham was my spirit animal) and I just cannot win.

They shortened the giveaway to just the Saturday window, I have to leave my house to find internet, and old 3DS' don't work with a lot of Wi-Fi sign-ins like Starbucks' after a certain patch. So it's really a bear to try and go to a certain place for several hours just in the attempt of getting one of these things. I feel like I'm seven again, dependent on the whim of a parent to get lucky, and that's not fun. Whew, feel a little better.

Fingers crossed for Primarina this weekend.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
That you can't change the units on the pokédex. I live in the Netherlands, and we measure stuff in metres and kilograms, not in inches, feet, or pounds. The franchise is 20 years old and they still haven't added an option to change it.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
That you can't change the units on the pokédex. I live in the Netherlands, and we measure stuff in metres and kilograms, not in inches, feet, or pounds. The franchise is 20 years old and they still haven't added an option to change it.

This actually bothers me a lot as well.

All too often I look at these units and I'm like "What's that in metres?". I would love an option to toggle between these numbers. The funny thing is, (as far as I know, so I could be wrong), very few countries still use feet and inches, so it's actually not a common form of measurement anymore. Most of the other languages get metres and kilos, why can't we?

Which brings me to something else...

The height section ticks me off more than it should. I think it should have just said size instead, since there are some Pokémon that clearly don't look like they're measured by height at all, most of biggest Pokémon look more long than tall. Height and length are two different things. As an example, Wailord is the largest Pokémon, but it looks like it's measured by length, so height makes no sense to me.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
The real issues with height, length and weight are just how exaggerated they are. Things like Venomoth are huge, Wailord doesn't obey physics, don't get me started on Cosmeom!

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
The real issues with height, length and weight are just how exaggerated they are. Things like Venomoth are huge, Wailord doesn't obey physics, don't get me started on Cosmeom!

It could be possible that the pokedex heights are actually the average heights. One example would be from the anime with Ash's Charizard (smaller than most Charizards in the Charisific Valley) or his Krabby (smaller than Gary's). If I remember correctly, weren't there npc's that ask for a larger pokemon such as Magikarp, Shroomish, etc?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
These are really annoying. I don't even know how they ask for some of the Pokemon they do (guessing by hacking) but they shouldn't even show up if trades are impossible. It looks like it's the same person putting all of them up too.

I miss this too. The Flying Gem, Acrobatics combo was one of my favourite combinations to use.

Probably. Good point. It could very well be. It's annoying. I finally did get an Ekans, but Ash's Pikachu is downright impossible.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Rock Slide missing, o longer getting confuse hax, or just hax in general not working in your favor.

Hax always seems to work for the enemy and not you. I swear the CPU is cheating

Vroomer

Grinds my gears? Getting remakes of Sun Moon. DPPt deserve remakes people. Hello!

Gen 7... I tell you what. Mhmm.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Grinds my gears? Getting remakes of Sun Moon. DPPt deserve remakes people. Hello!

Gen 7... I tell you what. Mhmm.

They are more likely sequels than remakes, while yes I would enjoy diamond/pearl remakes as well (hell i thought they would be announced), realistically, it's too early. No DPP remakes, no kanto Re-remakes, no Stars on switch, people need to get over the salt and stop putting so much in their expectations or buy into rumors. That's what grinds my gears

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I don't see why sequels to Sun and Moon would upset people. We may get the missing content that we were told was going to be in SM specifically the Dolphhin Pokémon and spider monkey Pokémon. Plus the cliffhangers might be resolved which is more than we got with XY.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
This is a more minor example, but it grinds my gears how the Nidoran family's shinies are the other gender's color...except for Nidoqueen, which is an ugly green

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
They are more likely sequels than remakes, while yes I would enjoy diamond/pearl remakes as well (hell i thought they would be announced), realistically, it's too early. No DPP remakes, no kanto Re-remakes, no Stars on switch, people need to get over the salt and stop putting so much in their expectations or buy into rumors. That's what grinds my gears

I don't see why sequels to Sun and Moon would upset people. We may get the missing content that we were told was going to be in SM specifically the Dolphhin Pokémon and spider monkey Pokémon. Plus the cliffhangers might be resolved which is more than we got with XY.

People whining about no Shinnioh remakes coming. Chill people chill They will come if/when Gamefreak is good and ready.

All of this!

Seriously, people were complaining when they thought we would get no new game this year. Low and behold, Game Freak actually announce new titles, so you'd think they'd stop complaining. But nope, they continued to complain. I honestly think people put way too much credit into all the rumours flying around and treated them as fact. People only set themselves up for disappointment when the rumours end up being false.

Honestly, I think it's way too early for D/P remakes and main series being on Switch. Diamond and Pearl are still playable on the 3DS due to backwards compatibility, so it feels pointless to remake them now. While the Switch has only just come out and Pokémon has never released a game on the same year as a console debut; it took like 2 years for a main series to come to DS and 3DS respectively. I personally think they will come eventually, but not right now.

Besides, we barely know anything about the new pair of games. We should wait for more information before we jump to any real conclusions. For all we know, these could be better than everyone expects them to be. It's okay to be disappointed, but most people are blowing it out of proportion.

I really feel these people calm down eventually. I don't understand why everyone is complaining so much and it bothers me.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I disagree with it being too early for DP remakes because they can be played on the 3DS. DP is pretty much unobtainable for reasonable prices these days depending on your country unless you simply get lucky somewhere. I have to pay twice as much money for Diamond as I have to pay for Omega Ruby. Maybe it's different in the US, but gen4 is pretty hard to get in Europe.

That said, I understand why they'd go with another Alola game first. GF knows that the transition to the Switch is coming up within a reasonable amount of time. I think they'd rather release Sinnoh remakes on the Switch as they've got to build them up from the ground anyway, and have another Alola game on the 3DS first which won't take much resources to make with the foundation from SM. It'd take much more resources to make for the Switch, having to build a new engine that works with that hardware and bug-testing everything etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get Sinnoh remakes, Mt Coronet should look stunning in 3D, but I think they'll come either next year or the year after that, I think GF simply needs more time to build an entirely new pokémon game on a new platform.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
All of this!

Seriously, people were complaining when they thought we would get no new game this year. Low and behold, Game Freak actually announce new titles, so you'd think they'd stop complaining. But nope, they continued to complain. I honestly think people put way too much credit into all the rumours flying around and treated them as fact. People only set themselves up for disappointment when the rumours end up being false.

Honestly, I think it's way too early for D/P remakes and main series being on Switch. Diamond and Pearl are still playable on the 3DS due to backwards compatibility, so it feels pointless to remake them now. While the Switch has only just come out and Pokémon has never released a game on the same year as a console debut; it took like 2 years for a main series to come to DS and 3DS respectively. I personally think they will come eventually, but not right now.

Besides, we barely know anything about the new pair of games. We should wait for more information before we jump to any real conclusions. For all we know, these could be better than everyone expects them to be. It's okay to be disappointed, but most people are blowing it out of proportion.

I really people these people calm down eventually. I don't understand why everyone is complaining so much and it bothers me.

I should add on to this, the Switch is not only expensive due to it being released only MONTHS ago, but we also have things such as the New 2DS which shows that Nintendo isn't done with the DS systems for at least another 2-3 years. Gamefreaks themselves even confirmed that they want to see how the Switch will perform before they put a new game on the console. This comes in range with the new hardware, sales of the switch, etc. Not to mention that the switch is LIMITED here in North America and other regions outside of japan. If we were to get a "Main series" game on the switch, it will likely be released in 2019/2020, that could be gen 8, dpp, kanto re-remakes, or whatever.

But to counter this argument, while yes, the switch does have some portable capability, you got to take into account that it's mainly a home console. Gamefreak likes to market pokemon mainly on the portable/handheld consoles such as the DS and the Gameboy because the idea of going out, meeting other people and battling/trading. While yes, we have wifi since Gen 4 which makes our lazy asses battle and trade, gamefreak's philosophy still stands. Pokemon Go while yes, not a main series game is still an example of this. There is also the extra work of making Pokemon Bank switch compatible but that would be a whole other different case. And finally, Pokemon will stick to it's old style with exploring the world, battling npcs/wild pokemon, etc. If we get something like Pokemon Breath of the Wild or Pokeblade Chronicles, that would more than likely confuse the younger audience which Pokemon is MARKETED to.