• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
All of this!

Seriously, people were complaining when they thought we would get no new game this year. Low and behold, Game Freak actually announce new titles, so you'd think they'd stop complaining. But nope, they continued to complain. I honestly think people put way too much credit into all the rumours flying around and treated them as fact. People only set themselves up for disappointment when the rumours end up being false.

Honestly, I think it's way too early for D/P remakes and main series being on Switch. Diamond and Pearl are still playable on the 3DS due to backwards compatibility, so it feels pointless to remake them now. While the Switch has only just come out and Pokémon has never released a game on the same year as a console debut; it took like 2 years for a main series to come to DS and 3DS respectively. I personally think they will come eventually, but not right now.

Besides, we barely know anything about the new pair of games. We should wait for more information before we jump to any real conclusions. For all we know, these could be better than everyone expects them to be. It's okay to be disappointed, but most people are blowing it out of proportion.

I really people these people calm down eventually. I don't understand why everyone is complaining so much and it bothers me.

I feel we should more focus on the new than the old. Keep moving forward

Luthor

It still grinds my gears that Hypno and Drowzee have to learn dream eater by TM. Of all the pokemon to get it by level up those would make the most sense.

ForYou2DaMoon

Failed Musician
My biggest pet peeve has always been trainers that you can't avoid fighting. I get that if this wasn't the case you could just walk past them all, but I just hate being forced into battles that I could have the choice to fight myself. This is a bit of an irrational pet peeve, but it's just something I personally think the games would benefit without.

PokeLys

Since Red version'98
My biggest pet peeve has always been trainers that you can't avoid fighting. I get that if this wasn't the case you could just walk past them all, but I just hate being forced into battles that I could have the choice to fight myself. This is a bit of an irrational pet peeve, but it's just something I personally think the games would benefit without.

In older games, I got around that "I can't avoid the battle if I walk in front of that trainer" feeling by walking behind said trainer and attacking them myself first...
You won't get me, I choose when I engage battle!! :p

RedJirachi

Veteran member

I hate it when cocky trainers decide to just spin around constantly so they always catch you, even when you're far away from them. It's like they're mocking me

Flan

loves birbs.
I really hate when people use "SuMo," but I hate the new "USuMo" term (and its derivatives) more.
No one uses HeGoSoSi, OmRuAlSa, or even BlWh. pls stop

Flan

loves birbs.
At least Sun and Moon aren't referred to as S&M. I was actually afraid people would call the pair that.

I'd much rather have that than the ugly "SuMo." I'm not frightened off by innuendos or double meanings, plus the joke would get really tired after a while.

ForYou2DaMoon

Failed Musician
In older games, I got around that "I can't avoid the battle if I walk in front of that trainer" feeling by walking behind said trainer and attacking them myself first...
You won't get me, I choose when I engage battle!! :p
I still do that today aha.

McKnight

From DreamWidth (imported recently from LiveJournal):

https://dmxrated.dreamwidth.org/418595.html#cutid1

1) The non-existence of a "Light" type, which would be the true/i] counter-element to Dark. I know "Psychic" is also directly counter to Dark, but Fire is counter to both Water and Ice. Especially egregious from Gen II onward, when Dark and Metal were introduced as types.

2) Worlds are centered around the player. For example, you can plant a berry anywhere, and no one can simply come around and take what you sow. (To be fair, though, it's only natural that the designers of these games are only thinking about how to make them fun for the players, rather than about realism.)

3) All four regions in Gens III and IV have the same first 50 TMs. Gen IV just stacks 42 more on top of the Gen III set. Gen V has all the same ones as Gen IV, plus more, although all the new ones mingle with the rest of them, instead of stacking further up. Not that that makes much of a difference...

4) In GSC, Love Balls work on same-gendered Pokemon instead of opposite-gendered ones like they're supposed to, due to a glitch. In HGSS, they only work on anything of the same species and opposite sex as you pit against, which only makes them nigh useless, meaning that the only real reason to collect Pink Apricorns is to make ApriJuice out of. [/i][Since found out that that's how they worked even in GSC.]

5) Pokemon cannot bring items with them when migrated b/w Gens IV and V. And why?

6) Because Gen V introduces a "new" set of TMs (which, like I said, is actually a renumbered set with new TMs fitted in). Like, couldn't the games just have blocked Pokemon carrying a TM disk like they do w/ those who know an HM?

7) On top of that, TMs in Gen V can now be used infinitely. If the dev team wanted to let players teach them as many times as desired, why wasn't this true since Gen I? Memory issue? Plus, this takes away from the games' challenge.

8) All berry trees in HGSS now yield apricorns, instead of the Gen-III-equivalent berries to each berry variety that existed in GSC.

9) Everything just feels lifeless. Who cares that a downloadable or transferrable Pokemon knows some special move? Nothing has any real personality to it, characters or Pokemon.

10) The need to trade Pokemon for complete Pokedexes. Of course, these games are meant to encourage socialization among players, which is why they put out two or three versions of each game, but this does not mesh well with my personality as an autistic introvert who would rather keep things simple and orderly.

11) Some stuff only exists in the game code to obtain from external sources. (And yeah, I know, the reason for this is so that Nintendo can make side-deals with other businesses for mutual promotion.)

12) The fact that certain Legendary Pokemon are banned from all Battle Towers, Frontiers, and Subways, while others are permitted there. Even if the reason was to test your real skills as a Trainer, and because all players will have access to them (which is exactly what I'm talking about with #2), that would make more sense if
all legendaries were banned.

13) There are as many Pokemon with a 7/1 male/female ratio as there are equally-gendered ones, but none with a 1/7 M/F ratio.

14) I know inanimate objects can't reproduce in real life, but if a Geodude can do so, why shouldn't a Magnemite be able to? Not like rocks can fornicate and reproduce in real life either, and yet there's an egg group called "Mineral".

15) The ability to clone Pokemon (since day one).

16) Why can a lot of Pokemon only have one ability or the other? Biologically, they should have both.

17) The fact that e-Reader berries were very inconsistent in use, and you can only have one variety at a time.

18) Why are only certain "cute" Pokemon allowed in Amity Square, but not others like Togepi, Jirachi, or even Clefairy's pre-evolved form Cleffa? Add to that the fact that the Sinnoh starters are only allowed there in Platinum, in which their evolved forms also are. (Infernape? Cute? Yeah, sure...)

19) Certain "breedable" moves can only be known by bred Pokemon if the father is a given species in particular. No, it's not enough that the father simply knows the move in question, nor am I gonna bother naming examples. Just look up any Pokemon species or move on Bulbapedia, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

What really ended my relation with the games, was finding out from TV Tropes: The Computer is a Cheating Bastard, that the RNG is rigged against you in Trainer battles, particularly in the Battle Towers and Frontiers (the more of a winning streak you attain). Some say this isn't true, that there is no actual evidence of this in the game code, but I've seen others give testimony and even record video clips to point stuff out.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Only being able to get one apricorn a day for those different Pokeballs in HGSS. Only being able to get one of each Johto Ball in Sun and Moon

nel3

Crimson Dragon
here's one thing that really grinds my gear, still not getting the wanted phases from my 5* fortune tents after 3 months.....

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Every time I defend the Champion title I keep getting Kukui or Hau as the challenger! Except one time when it was Hapu. But I did it eight times already and I got Kukui four times (two of them being consecutive) and Hau three times. I can't seem to get any of the other challengers! I really want to battle Ryuki!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Every time I defend the Champion title I keep getting Kukui or Hau as the challenger! Except one time when it was Hapu. But I did it eight times already and I got Kukui four times (two of them being consecutive) and Hau three times. I can't seem to get any of the other challengers! I really want to battle Ryuki!

So it's random rather than determined on the day or last opponents? Aw..

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I'd much rather have that than the ugly "SuMo." I'm not frightened off by innuendos or double meanings, plus the joke would get really tired after a while.

Finally someone who gets it. Pokémon are not sumo's rofl.
But seriously, I just use things such as "SM" or something like that. It fits with others like HGSS / DPP / BW / etc. I even go with USUM for the new games this year.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
So it's random rather than determined on the day or last opponents? Aw..

Pretty much. Faba is only the challenger the first of the month and Hau is the very first to challenge you after you become champion. Everyone else is random.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
At least Sun and Moon aren't referred to as S&M. I was actually afraid people would call the pair that.

Blame the internet for making it seem dirty. You can always go M and S

fubufubu

In essence, the title defense matches in Sun and Moon were an interesting idea, but the fact that you remain the champion even if you lose just renders the whole thing moot.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Klink's Gear Grind.

As it says, it really GRINDS my GEARS.

I can't believe we managed to go almost 9000 posts wihout that obligatory pun. Related to that, I don't like how the Klink line is pure Steel instead of Steel/Electric because of its proficiency in Electric moves, especially since so many of these moves are special based when its a physical combatant

Last edited: