• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Not being able to get more Type: Null or breed them. If you want to use it you either have to trade for it, which is difficult as it's a one-off per game, or forego the Dex entry for Silvally. You can't ever use your own Type: Null after evolving it because Silvally can't change back.

You could come up with any number of reasons for why it wasn't mentioned (besides the obvious one that the concept didn't exist), but it doesn't change the fact that in-universe there's a perfectly serviceable reason for why it wasn't seen.

But the point you were making doesn't hold out. Both Eevee and Leaf Stone exist in RBY, and making them interact with each other later when they didn't before is a retcon. With Mega Evolution, they can cop the excuse that it existed, and just wasn't seen or mentioned. They also have the whole alternate universe thing going on in ORAS, suggesting that RBY could take place in a universe where Mega Evolution was never a thing in the first place if you feel like going that route, but they have a consistent excuse either way.

Meh, so many things are retcons. We're also led to believe that apparently everyone in Kanto hates their Golbats and Eevees because they never discovered Crobat, Espeon, and Umbreon. If they wanted they could have given Espeon a Sun Stone evolution, Umbreon a Moon Stone evolution, Leafeon and Glaceon with the Leaf and Ice stones respectively, and Sylveon with the Shiny Stone, and I don't think many people would have really minded.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Not being able to get more Type: Null or breed them. If you want to use it you either have to trade for it, which is difficult as it's a one-off per game, or forego the Dex entry for Silvally. You can't ever use your own Type: Null after evolving it because Silvally can't change back.

Meh, so many things are retcons. We're also led to believe that apparently everyone in Kanto hates their Golbats and Eevees because they never discovered Crobat, Espeon, and Umbreon. If they wanted they could have given Espeon a Sun Stone evolution, Umbreon a Moon Stone evolution, Leafeon and Glaceon with the Leaf and Ice stones respectively, and Sylveon with the Shiny Stone, and I don't think many people would have really minded.

The Ice Stone did not exist until Gen 7.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
The Ice Stone did not exist until Gen 7.

I think his point was more like once the Ice Stone got introduced, why not just get rid of the rocks and use the Leaf and Ice Stones?

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
No Pokemon Z, and no Korrina as a champion yet xD

Especially the second. Though a z version would likely be how it'll happen....

:p

RedJirachi

Veteran member

I certainly wouldn't mind the retcons. On that note, I find the Moon Ball grinds my gears as it has such a low amount of Pokemon you can take advantage of it compared to other special Pokeballs. If they made it a "Stone Ball" that works on Pokemon that evolve with any evolutionary stone that'd be worth it, but this? At least it looks cool

Another thing to take umbridge with Gen 2? The fact they introduced roaming Pokemon. Roaming Pokemon with a move that lets them leave battle. And there's more than one, so you can't even use the Master Ball for your troubles. I can't believe it took them so long to get rid of the mechanic.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I certainly wouldn't mind the retcons. On that note, I find the Moon Ball grinds my gears as it has such a low amount of Pokemon you can take advantage of it compared to other special Pokeballs. If they made it a "Stone Ball" that works on Pokemon that evolve with any evolutionary stone that'd be worth it, but this? At least it looks cool

Another thing to take umbridge with Gen 2? The fact they introduced roaming Pokemon. Roaming Pokemon with a move that lets them leave battle. And there's more than one, so you can't even use the Master Ball for your troubles. I can't believe it took them so long to get rid of the mechanic.

Heavy Ball and Love Ball are also two balls that you can barely use. Heavy Ball is one of those balls that only works on really heavy pokémon with a low natural catch rate, and most pokémon that fall into that category are unavailable in the games that you can get Heavy Balls in (Regirock, Registeel, Metagross, Heatran, Regigigas). It's only really viable for Lugia, Snorlax, and Steelix, and for Steelix it barely outperforms Ultra Balls and Dusk Balls are better. And Love Ball requires you to already have the same species as whatever it is you're catching, only of opposite gender, and in those cases a Repeat Ball is often already adequate.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Heavy Ball and Love Ball are also two balls that you can barely use. Heavy Ball is one of those balls that only works on really heavy pokémon with a low natural catch rate, and most pokémon that fall into that category are unavailable in the games that you can get Heavy Balls in (Regirock, Registeel, Metagross, Heatran, Regigigas). It's only really viable for Lugia, Snorlax, and Steelix, and for Steelix it barely outperforms Ultra Balls and Dusk Balls are better. And Love Ball requires you to already have the same species as whatever it is you're catching, only of opposite gender, and in those cases a Repeat Ball is often already adequate.

Don't get me started on the Love Balls and their nonesense. Is there any ball Kurt makes that isn't terrible?!

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
People who think that the Switch game is coming out next year. Looks like you guys are really impatient. GameFreak needs time to work on the game, especially since they're now making a game for a home console (though you can take it on the go). Releasing next year will mean that the game will be rushed with a ton of bugs and glitches, and no one wants that.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
People who think that the Switch game is coming out next year. Looks like you guys are really impatient. GameFreak needs time to work on the game, especially since they're now making a game for a home console (though you can take it on the go). Releasing next year will mean that the game will be rushed with a ton of bugs and glitches, and no one wants that.

I agree. Wasn’t the western version of the original Red and Blue rushed for release outside of Japan too? We all know how glitch laden those games are. Almost every single game rushed into completion ends up being broken in some manner. Or the game has an extremely short story mode and dialogue that is painful to try and read.

Luthor

Oricorio was a major disappointment for me given the fact its movepool options are so poor for the type it gains. (ie fire type doesn't even get flamethrower). Given how poor the stats that Oricorio gets surely it should have at least been the Pokemon which could swap forms to learn moves.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
An annoyment for me has always been trade evolutions that require a held item

Kirby Dragons

Most Pokémon being able to learn Toxic. Also other TMs being able to be taught to the vast majority of Pokémon. I also specifically dislike the move Hidden Power because of how it lets any Pokémon attack with any type (except Fairy). It kind of takes away from Pokémon with actual vast movepools.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Especially as there's no way to request the item attached on the GTS.

The fact you can't request held items REALLY fills me with antipathy

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The fact you can't request held items REALLY fills me with antipathy

Karrablast and Shelmet are pretty much the only trade evolutions that have a special requirement that you can get from GTS. One thing I dislike is how people put perfectly good Pokémon on the GTS only to ask for event Pokémon that can’t be traded on there to begin with! This is especially infuriating when you are trying hard to complete the Alola Dex. It took me two months just to get Weavile and Scizor for completion purposes. And I was asking for ANY level too.

Dr. Eeviil

Karrablast and Shelmet are pretty much the only trade evolutions that have a special requirement that you can get from GTS. One thing I dislike is how people put perfectly good Pokémon on the GTS only to ask for event Pokémon that can’t be traded on there to begin with! This is especially infuriating when you are trying hard to complete the Alola Dex. It took me two months just to get Weavile and Scizor for completion purposes. And I was asking for ANY level too.

I've usually found that it's much quicker to take something that's specific to your version, then put it up for trade and ask for what you want.

Another annoyance I've just discovered is that Poke Transporter now converts them to gen VII right away. I bred up some Bulbasaurs, Charmanders & Squirtles in Gold, traded them back to Yellow, then transported them. I was going to move them from Bank into my Omega Ruby and quickly level them up to 100. But they couldn't be transferred to a gen VI game.

And why hasn't Transporter been updated to work with Silver/Gold yet?

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I've usually found that it's much quicker to take something that's specific to your version, then put it up for trade and ask for what you want.

Another annoyance I've just discovered is that Poke Transporter now converts them to gen VII right away. I bred up some Bulbasaurs, Charmanders & Squirtles in Gold, traded them back to Yellow, then transported them. I was going to move them from Bank into my Omega Ruby and quickly level them up to 100. But they couldn't be transferred to a gen VI game.

And why hasn't Transporter been updated to work with Silver/Gold yet?

RBY were always meant to be connected for Gen 7. It was one of the first things to be mentioned when they were announced for the 3DS VC.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
People putting up impossible stuff on GTS also annoys me. Stuff like Cherish Ball Heatran (really, why is that even accepted, it's never been released), requests for Male Ditto, etc. Like, they block legal event pokémon for some reason and then just allow hacked stuff to go through.