• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My guess is that they just goofed up on it when releasing Gold/Silver back in the day, just one of those errors they missed. And then they thought they couldn't retro-actively fix it in future generations anymore because then it wouldn't make sense that they couldn't breed in the previous generations but can in the current. A bit similar to how they're so adamant to only introduce new evolutions to existing pokémon if the evolution method is also new. They could have made Espeon and Umbreon evolve with Sun Stone and Moon Stone respectively when releasing the 2nd generation, but they didn't because the Moon Stone already existed in Gen 1 and it wouldn't make sense that Eevee couldn't evolve with a Moon Stone in those games anymore.

It's completely silly and stupid reasoning, but I can't really think of anything else.

I believe some Pokemon that evolve through move knew said move a generation or more before, but i may be wrong on that. Your reasoning does explain why there are so many Pokemon that have to hold an item while trading to evolve, though

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Why hasn't the freakin' Battle Frontier returned?

It would've been so dope if the Battle Frontier had appeared in ORAS. I so hope it returns on the Switch. It is TOO good to pass up!

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Why hasn't the freakin' Battle Frontier returned?

It would've been so dope if the Battle Frontier had appeared in ORAS. I so hope it returns on the Switch. It is TOO good to pass up!

Masuda said that the Battle Frontier is not returning because he thinks that people have no time for it anymore.

Luthor

The fact that Mienshao doesn't get a special move that shows off its whip fighting style. Even if it was something like power whip. (if Lickitung can do it i'm sure Mienshao only).

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Masuda said that the Battle Frontier is not returning because he thinks that people have no time for it anymore.

Or the attention span.

Which given how many kids these days are diagnosed with ADHD is probably not entirely wrong.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
So many Pokemon need to hold an item to evolve through trade, it's really annoying. And most of said items are only useful as trading items

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Many of the Eeveelutions not getting good coverage options. I would have liked the Eeveelutions to use a wider variety of different typed moves not only that it displays the flexibility of Eevee being able to evolve into a variety of options but give its evolutions the coverage they need in the competitive scene and better hit a wider variety of Pokémon. No wonder why I had trouble choosing moves for my Sylveon like that it was limited to some good Fairy moves, Shadow Ball, Psyshock and that's probably it.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

People are still playing MMO games and extensive RPGs, and he claims they don't have the time for it?

I call BS. I honestly think they just couldn't be bothered to do it. A person will play a game for as long as there is something to be done. I only ever play a Pokémon game for about an hour a day, and not even every day, and yet I've managed to complete every main series game in two weeks or less since X & Y. I had both Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl for over a year, Pokémon White four about nine months, and Pokémon Black 2 for around seven months. I kept those games far longer than anything in Gen 6 and 7 Why? Because I had something to do!

This really does grind my gears. The main gameplay of recent games can be beaten way too quickly, and there is very little postgame content to go through. Battle Frontier remains the (second) greatest example of postgame content in the entire series. Masuda is just being lazy, in my most honest opinion, because his reasoning does not add up.

I wish Satoru Iwata was still here. He'd do it.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
Or the attention span.

Which given how many kids these days are diagnosed with ADHD is probably not entirely wrong.

Still no reason for it not to be dlc for those that do have the time for it. Or to include it in the base game because even if people don't have time for it its OPTIONAL

Luthor

So many Pokemon need to hold an item to evolve through trade, it's really annoying. And most of said items are only useful as trading items

Especially as the GTS really isn't set up to work with them properly. Its not like you can request items with a Pokemon.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It annoys me that there was a limit to how many Ultra Beasts that I could obtain in Sun and Moon. It would've made sense since they were coded as legendary back then and fortunately the limit was removed in USUM.

Last edited:

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
It annoys me that there was a limit to how many Ultra Beasts that I could obtain in Sun and Moon. It would've made sense since they were coded as legendary back then and fortunately the limit was removed in USUM.

But they're still coded in the game as legendary even in USUM. And before anyone comes at me saying "But the official site says they're not legendary!", that doesn't change the fact they're coded as such. Heck, I'd argue they're actually going against the game thanks to green borders in the Dex shared by Pokémon they call "legendary" and the GTS still filters them out if you block legendary and mythical, so what does that say?

Actually, now that I think about it, this whole "special Pokémon" mess grinds my gears. What's the point of all these special categories when there are very little differences between Legendary, Mythical and Ultra Beast that they might as well be the same thing. I can't think of any reasons why they absolutely need to be different; all of these Pokémon are powerful and rare Pokémon.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
But they're still coded in the game as legendary even in USUM. And before anyone comes at me saying "But the official site says they're not legendary!", that doesn't change the fact they're coded as such. Heck, I'd argue they're actually going against the game thanks to green borders in the Dex shared by Pokémon they call "legendary" and the GTS still filters them out if you block legendary and mythical, so what does that say?

Actually, now that I think about it, this whole "special Pokémon" mess grinds my gears. What's the point of all these special categories when there are very little differences between Legendary, Mythical and Ultra Beast that they might as well be the same thing. I can't think of any reasons why they absolutely need to be different; all of these Pokémon are powerful and rare Pokémon.

I know Ultra Beasts are coded as Legendary in USUM but Ultra Beasts may be more common in the worlds they originated from.

Anyway, thinking about it, it still grinds my gears how official sources couldn't decide whether Phione is a Legendary or not. Well it's kinda rare because Manaphy is rare but however Phione has a BST of 480 and can be bred to hatch another Phione unlike Manaphy, which when bred with Ditto, will produce a Phione egg.

AuroraBeam

Something that grinds my gears is how I've been conditioned like Pavlov's dog to get really tense and compulsively try to catch Abra whenever a wild one appears even if I don't plan on using one in that playthrough.

gentwoer

^It's the thrill of being able to catch a Pokemon you know is gonna flee first chance it gets.

What grinds my gear is those stupid forced tutorials showing how catch a Pokemon. It wouldn't be so bad if a majority of them didn't force themselves on you after you had ample time to catch Pokemon. Like chill Dawn you see my Bidoof? I clearly got catching Pokemon down pat

Vini310

Battle Frontier lacking something similar to A.J.'s gym (i.e. a place where you could actually train your Pokémon), or at least giving the option to play an alternate version of the facilities where your Pokémon actually earns experience points.
The lack of the Battle Frontier in ORAS only annoys me because I'd love to see the musics remixed (especially the Battle Factory one).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Especially as the GTS really isn't set up to work with them properly. Its not like you can request items with a Pokemon.

For the love of Arceus, why haven't they fixed that for three generations?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Idk, they still haven't fixed hack-checking on Wonder Trade, GTS, and Battle Spot either, still way too many hacked pokémon pass through. Stuff like shiny Keldeo or shiny Rayquaza with V-Create, it's really not that hard to recognise. Seriously, PGL should just do a hack-check on every Game sync and just ban you from all online activities for a month if you've got anything hacked in your PC, nursery, Pelago, or party, or have a modified save file. Keep it on the PGL side so it can't be directly datamined from the game and you're good to go. It doesn't have to be that hard. Way too much hacking going on and it's almost as if it's okay to cheat nowadays. Almost every time I go online on Festival Plaza some person offers to trade with me and then shows me hacked pokémon. And yes, I know they're hacked. Shiny pokémon with urls as a nickname are always hacked.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Heavy Balls not being able to capture the Tapus and Beldum in Sun and Moon due to negative catch rate. It would've been nice to see Beldum in a Heavy Ball though but at least it's fixed in USUM.