• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
The 'A' button on the pokeball plus REALLY hurts to press and I find myself accidentally bumping a direction while trying to click it so it selects the wrong option often. A separate button would have been better imo

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I don't mean update it with anime voices, I mean update the old animal cries that date back to Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3 etc. into the HD era. The Pikachu from Pokemon generations has a more squeaky mouse-like sound compared to his game counterpart or Mewtwo sounds like a berserking monster compared to his game counterpart.
Anyway they could use the animal voices from Generations but I personally feel that they aren’t strongly associated enough with the Pokémon and the old cries make them feel more unique. I also tend to even associate a Pokémon with its cry.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Anyway they could use the animal voices from Generations but I personally feel that they aren’t strongly associated enough with the Pokémon and the old cries make them feel more unique. I also tend to even associate a Pokémon with its cry.
The old cries sound very bit-like. Not really animal-like.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The old cries sound very bit-like. Not really animal-like.
But I like the 4-bit feeling of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 cries. Particularly with the older cries I feel that they’re associated with a generation. I just feel that the animalistic cries won’t be memorable because they’ll sound completely different to their original cries. It’s just my opinion.

shoz999

But I like the 4-bit feeling of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 cries. Particularly with the older cries I feel that they’re associated with a generation. I just feel that the animalistic cries won’t be memorable because they’ll sound completely different to their original cries. It’s just my opinion.
Fair enough.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Fair enough.
I think yours is a fair opinion too. But I did like Generations as a series and I would have liked it to extend to Alola.

shoz999

You know what really grinds my gears? In the Pokemon Adventures manga, Red is an adult by now full of personality and the writer is even hinting at a romantic relationship in the future. Character progression right? In the anime, Ash is still ten years old but you have to admit he's had some great character progression of his own through the XYZ season. Character progression right?

You know which variation of Red has pretty much no character progression? THE ORIGINAL RED! Don't you "DOT DOT DOT" me! SAY SOMETHING! ANYTHING! The whole "..." thing is starting to be less of a joke and kind of annoying and in some ways even feels soulless if I dare say. I really wish GameFreak gave Red some character development or some kind of personality like they did with the female protagonist.

Luthor

Well it can get annoying sometimes to hear a Pikachu cry (or the cry of another Pokémon out of nowhere) especially in a very silent room. And ‘Pika!’ is heard and you get all of the attention in the room.

Yeah it's extremely annoying. You can't easily turn it off.

Also speaking on this, the fact that Veevee Volley and Pika Papow don't work when playing handheld is kinda annoying.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Remember when GameFreak didn't try to shove Kanto down our throats? I miss Hoenn and Unova.
1542582237140.png

You must really hate Pokemon Let's Go then

I hate how in the original Gen I remakes, you couldn't get any Gen 2 evolutions of Gen 1 Pokemon until after the Elite 4

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah it's extremely annoying. You can't easily turn it off.

Also speaking on this, the fact that Veevee Volley and Pika Papow don't work when playing handheld is kinda annoying.
Just having to hide it and cover it so that no one hears it.

That isn’t too good. Anyway I can switch to tabletop mode without too much difficulty even though I’d like to be able to use these moves in handheld mode.

Remember when GameFreak didn't try to shove Kanto down our throats? I miss Hoenn and Unova.
1542582237140.png
Fun fact: The vast majority of Unova Pokemon are designed to parallel Kanto Pokemon. In some cases they have near-identical stats or very similar designs. Even the usual cave-crawlers like Zubat and Geodude, who appear in basically every other region, are redone.

Magnemite - Klink
Caterpie/Weedle - Sewaddle/Venipede
Rattata - Patrat
Pidgey - Pidove
Geodude - Roggenrola
Machop - Timburr (Machamp and Conkeldurr have near-identical stats, similar learnsets and trade-to-evolve)
Drowzee - Munna
Gen 1 Eeveelutions - Monkey trio (vaguely)
Gen 1 Hitmons - Sawk/Throw
Poliwag - Tympole
Grimer - Trubbish
Abra - Gothita
Tentacool - Frillish
Voltorb - Foongus
Tauros - Bouffalant
Dratini - Deino
Mew - Victini (identical stats)
Chansey - Audino
Meowth - Purrloin (semi-vaguely)
Oddish/Bellsprout - Petilil/Cottonee
Sandshrew/Drilbur
Mewtwo - Genesect (human-modified Pokemon) (Genesect is also just a Kabutops btw, which is actually pretty neat except there are no Kanto Pokemon in Unova including the fossils so why was there a Kabutops there in the first place)
Kabuto/Omanyte - Tirtouga
Aerodactyl - Archen line

There's probably more that I've missed, plus there's a bunch of counterparts that are done for every gen (Pseudochu, starters etc).

So no, they didn't really ease up on the Genwunning with Unova...

I actually like the Gen 5 Pokemon most out of all Gens, but I hate the region because this is too obvious to ignore when they're the only Pokemon.

My pet peeve is when a Pokemon really should be able to learn a move but just can't for whatever reason...

Like, can you imagine a Huge Power Azumarill with Coil, Defense Curl, Rollout, Superpower? That would be amazing! Sadly it can't learn Coil, despite the elastic tail.
Heck, it can't even learn Bulk Up, which is weird considering two of its abilities are Thick Fat and Huge Power, which would both make a Pokemon bulky in some way...

Cradily17

Fun fact: The vast majority of Unova Pokemon are designed to parallel Kanto Pokemon. In some cases they have near-identical stats or very similar designs. Even the usual cave-crawlers like Zubat and Geodude, who appear in basically every other region, are redone.

Magnemite - Klink
Rattata - Patrat
Pidgey - Pidove
Geodude - Roggenrola
Machop - Timburr (Machamp and Conkeldurr have near-identical stats, similar learnsets and trade-to-evolve)
Drowzee - Munna
Poliwag - Tympole
Grimer - Trubbish
Abra - Gothita
Tentacool - Frillish
Voltorb - Foongus
Tauros - Bouffalant
Dratini - Deino
Chansey - Audino
Sandshrew/Drilbur
Mewtwo - Genesect (human-modified Pokemon) (Genesect is also just a Kabutops btw, which is actually pretty neat except there are no Kanto Pokemon in Unova including the fossils so why was there a Kabutops there in the first place)
Aerodactyl - Archen line

There's probably more that I've missed, plus there's a bunch of counterparts that are done for every gen (Pseudochu, starters etc).

I actually like the Gen 5 Pokemon most out of all Gens, but I hate the region because this is too obvious to ignore when they're the only Pokemon.
Well if you consider that "Genwunning", then I still prefer it over the other games that do nothing but go, "Hey! Look at all these old Pokemon! We need to remind you that they exist!"

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Getting locked out of Bank after getting disconnected. It always happens and I’m sick to death of it. I just want to transfer Pokémon up to Gen7, it should not be this much of a hassle.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Getting locked out of Bank after getting disconnected. It always happens and I’m sick to death of it. I just want to transfer Pokémon up to Gen7, it should not be this much of a hassle.
That’s really the worst part of using Bank, especially when I use it in a place with bad Wi-Fi. I just want to transfer Pokémon, which doesn’t even take 5 minutes to do. And I think a 10 minute ban doesn’t justify this.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Magnemite - Klink
Gears aren’t magnets! Different objects, brick that is silver! And they evolve different with everything!
You are wrong again! Butterflies + bees aren’t mantises and centipedes who told you this? Bad teacher you must have had!
Rattata - Patrat
Different in things everything! One is a mouse and the other becomes a cross guard. Don’t get run over!
Pidgey - Pidove
Pidgey isn’t a pigeon. Never was!
Geodude - Roggenrola
Drowzee - Munna
There you go, son now you’re making sense! But tbh Gigalith is more different now thanks to the Geodude line having Alolan forms!
OK now you’re speaking nonsense again. We have no base monkey evolving into the three. Never!
Karate and Judo are more into detail then simple things like punching a wall! So where’s our Hitmontop equivalent?
Poliwag - Tympole
That’s much be-
Grimer - Trubbish
Damn it I thought you would stop here! No Mr. Land pollution =/= sea pollution
Abra - Gothita
Now you’re the one stretching things here! Objectively this is entirely wrong and no matter what you can’t change the fact that these two are completely unrelated. Besides why isn’t my Gothorita evolving after the trade?
Tentacool - Frillish
Voltorb - Foongus
OK phew you’re doing good again.
Tauros - Bouffalant
Bulls aren’t related to buffalos, silly.
Dratini - Deino
Son, I suppose you think Goodra is identical to Hydreigon then!
By this logic, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, and Manaphy all rip off Mew!
Chansey - Audino
Better!
Okay you’ve been pulling things randomly and this is one of them.
Sandshrew/Drilbur
Sandshrew isn’t a mole, silly!
(Genesect is also just a Kabutops btw, which is actually pretty neat except there are no Kanto Pokemon in Unova including the fossils so why was there a Kabutops there in the first place)
It is not a Kabutops who told you this bologna?
Sure because a horseshoe crab is a turtle. Okay! Wrong.
Aerodactyl - Archen line
Archen’s origins are based off of the birds before pterodactyls. Not similar!

As you can see, some points are correct! The rest are downright bullshit that can’t be justified!

All the others that made sense are just harmless homages. Doesn’t change the fact that they’re still entirely new species altogether!

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
1542582237140.png

More Kanto Pokémon than actually new Pokémon in the regional dex for two generations in a row? My god this isn’t acceptable >_< I hate this too.

Fun fact: The vast majority of Unova Pokemon are designed to parallel Kanto Pokemon. In some cases they have near-identical stats or very similar designs. Please show me the relevant numbers because my research really seems to suggest otherwise. Even the usual cave-crawlers like Zubat and Geodude, who appear in basically every other region, are redone. As if artists don’t successfully try new spins on old ideas all the time?

Magnemite - Klink No.
Caterpie/Weedle - Sewaddle/Venipede Dude wtf are you talking about when things like Wurmple and Scatterbug are so much closer and this is one of the only games with early game bugs that both don’t suck and aren’t butterflies lmao.
Rattata - Patrat Every gen has a Ratatta clone.
Pidgey - Pidove Every gen has a Pidgey clone.
Geodude - Roggenrola A new, more creative spin on an old idea.
Machop - Timburr (Machamp and Conkeldurr have near-identical stats, similar learnsets and trade-to-evolve) I’ll give you this one but it doesn’t have to take anything away from the merits of the Timburr line.
Drowzee - Munna Very different take on a very general idea.
Gen 1 Eeveelutions - Monkey trio (vaguely) Literally complete nonsense.
Gen 1 Hitmons - Sawk/Throw Kind of? Mostly no. Throh is way too bulky.
Poliwag - Tympole Not really, again it’s a very different interpretation of a very general idea.
Grimer - Trubbish Rounds off the trio of water, air and ground pollution very nicely.
Abra - Gothita No.
Tentacool - Frillish No. Frillish is a much more interesting take on the same animal.
Voltorb - Foongus Nothing wrong with a new take on the mimic idea.
Tauros - Bouffalant Somewhat true, except Bouffalant is very clearly inspired by a buffalo which is very region appropriate. Nice idea.
Dratini - Deino Every gen has a pseudo legendary.
Mew - Victini (identical stats) Nearly every gen has had one of these.
Chansey - Audino What? Kind of?
Meowth - Purrloin (semi-vaguely) Skitty?
Oddish/Bellsprout - Petilil/Cottonee Absolutely not.
Sandshrew/Drilbur Drilbur has much more interesting implementation and this is still loose af.
Mewtwo - Genesect (human-modified Pokemon) (Genesect is also just a Kabutops btw, which is actually pretty neat except there are no Kanto Pokemon in Unova including the fossils so why was there a Kabutops there in the first place) Lots of man made Pokémon.
Aerodactyl - Archen line Most gens have fossils.

Lol what, this nonsense complaint totally grinds my gears. I see it all the time and it holds basically 0 weight at all. I’ve gone over the quote in bold so you can have justification for my viewpoint.

So what I’ve done is pointed out that every single one of your examples is either totally nonsense or not an issue. When I see these Pokémon I don’t think “WOW SHAMELESS GEN 1 CLONE ALERT”, and I think very few players would have even noticed first time playing. After noticing the very loose parallels that did exist, I instead thought “huh, brave of them to willingly go back and improve on old ideas with better designs!” and showing a willingness to expand upon the standard gen 1 fare is thus a much more accurate description of what gen 5 is actually doing. It admitted that the original designs weren’t perfect and that new creative ideas could be generated from the same inspiration and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Some of those gen 5 and gen 1 comparisons are way too much of a stretch.

Klink isn't even a combination of more than one pokemon unlike Magnemite. (Only Magnezone is anywhere close to Klinklang's concept and that is loose since the later is more a single gear being apart of a larger machine.)

Venipede has the same type combo as Weedle, that is the only thing they have in common. Sewaddle isn't even close to Caterpie.

Patrat..... already said.

Pidove.... already said.

Roggenrola is a Geodude clone, but it stays a pure rock type and in most areas is better than Geodude. (Until Alolan Geodude came to be unique.)

Timburr has different abilities and moves from Machop, they are similar.

Munna is a mixture of Drowzee and Jigglypuff in a way. Drowzee for body structure, Jigglypuff due to evolving from a moon stone and putting people to sleep. (Least Munna doesn't draw on your face.)

Eevee is awesome... the Monkey trio are more a knock off of Starter pokemon... and not even good knock offs.

Thoh and Sawk are similar... but the Hitmons have a pre evolution to connect the two and a Hitmontop. Other than that, different fighting styles all around.

Poliwag and Tympole are tadpoles and water types... that is the only thing thety have in common.

Trubbish is more akin to Gulpin... otherwise he fits the pollution trinity nicely.

Abra and Gothita have nothing in common besides the psychic type. (Believe me... the later isn't Abra!)

Frillish is a creepy jellyfish with HP love craft like elements. (Deep one!), Tentacool is a cartoonish take on it.

Foongus... its only similarity to Voltorb is the mimic idea, everything else is too different.

Bouffalant functions differently from Tauros in stats and battling.

Audino... it is much more common than Chansey and has a mega evolution in a later generation.

Actually... Purrlion is akin to Poochyena as an early game Dark Type. Like how Zigzagoon is akin to Ratatta's line. (Except that Racoon is MUCH better these days.)

Petlil and Cottonee are too different from Oddish and Bellsprout in every way save for the grass typing and a stone is involved.

Drillbur is more akin to Diglett than Sandshrew... Drillbur being the superior mole pokemon.

Fossil pokemon are fossil pokemon.

Genesect is a man made pokemon... but the origins are too different to be Mewtwo.

Did I or did I not say they were “Parallels”, or “Counterparts”?

Of course none of the Pokemon I listed are identical to Gen I Pokemon. That’s the point of designing new ‘mons in the first place. But you can’t deny that the designs of Gen V were obviously made with Gen I in mind, be that the theming, details, typings, stats, location in the game or whatever.

For most Gens you can find the starters, Pikachu clone, Normal rodent, Normal bird, Zubat, Geodude, fossils, early Bugs, Tentacool, and a couple others.

In Gen V you can find the starters, Pikachu clone, Normal rodent, Normal bird, Zubat act-alike, Geodude act-alike, fossils (specifically Water and Flying fossils, the types in RBY), early Bugs (two sets, one Poison and the other not), Tentacool act-alike, Conkeldurr, Unrelated-yet-alike Fighting ‘mons (remember, Hitmonlee/Chan didn’t have Tyrogue or Top in Gen I), Ground-type small burrowing mammal, mimic, Psychic dream-eating anteater, Normal four-legged bovine, sneaky shiny-thing-loving cat (although I suppose this is a fairly common one), powerful legendary made by humans from another Pokemon, version-specific grass-types, pink defensive Normal (now-Fairy) healer, Water tadpole (with a final form that has two of the same abilities and comparable stats to Poliwrath), two-stage Poison living pollution, powerful Steel three-stage ‘mon that seems to combine upon evolving, and probably a couple that I’ve missed.

Yes other Gens have some of these counterparts, and yes Gen V has some counterparts for other Generations, but none of them have even close to as many counterparts as Gen V has to Gen I.

You guys really missed the point I was making.