1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Things that grind your gears!

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Frost Mage, May 19, 2013.

1. Dragalge

Dragalge Chief Fehnix

Them making complete versions of the beautiful specimens known as the Galarian fossils would grind my gears tbh.

[​IMG]

AgentKallus and wolf jani like this.
  2. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Don't mess with the bull. You'll get the horns. Staff Member Moderator

Yea that's where I'm at too. Hoping it is based on 32 bit ones. It's why I'll be downloading the free version and testing it via my mom's phone, since it is the one I'm planning on getting.

3. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I don't really like Pokemon GO in general, and I stopped playing it after a few days because I didn't get the appeal of playing a lackluster Pokemon game on a mobile device when there are far better mobile games out there. I think it's great that the game was successful, though. I thought it would be a failure when we got the first trailer for the game, but I'm glad I was wrong because Pokemon GO reinvigorated the franchise's popularity.

wolf jani likes this.
  4. OshyHikari

OshyHikari c l a r i t y

Sadly, because GO relied so much on Generation 1 Pokemon only and bringing Genwunners in, it ended up becoming seen as one of the worst things to hit the fandom. The "hardcore" Pokemon fandom does not take very kindly to the obsessive Genwunners who claim Kanto is the only region that exists. The GO playerbase is very much the second coming of the Genwunner, as most GO players are only familiar with GO's mechanics and not with any other aspects of the franchise.

Leonhart and wolf jani like this.
  5. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I disagree. Go created new fans that would never have played a Pokémon game before its release and it is the reason Pokémon actually had a Super Bowl commercial which is a huge deal for any business or franchise. When you get an ad that premieres during the Super Bowl, you know you’ve made it. Sonic never got a commercial. Legend of Zelda hasn’t either. And Super Smash Bros definitely never got a Super Bowl ad. But Pokémon Go, a game not at the even out at the time got one and for the 20th anniversary of the franchise too. Mario didn’t even get one for the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros and he is a major pop culture icon.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  6. OshyHikari

OshyHikari c l a r i t y

I see where you are coming from. I always see most GO players as the new Genwunners, someone who stays loyal only to their game of choice (GO and R/B/Y) and refuses to try other entries in the franchise. Super Bowl only increased that traction, and shows that GO would not have become the highest-grossing entry in the franchise had it not had traction during such a major sporting event.

NeedsAName and Leonhart like this.
  7. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

Lazy Pokedex entries annoy me

look at Unfezent's entries in just Sword and Shield

Male

Sword: Unfezant are exceptional fliers. The females are known for their stamina, while the males outclass them in terms of speed.
    Shield: This Pokémon is intelligent and intensely proud. People will sit up and take notice if you become the Trainer of one.

Female

Sword: Females of this species are very capable fliers, particularly notable for their stamina. They also take longer to adjust to people.
    Shield: This Pokémon is intelligent and intensely proud. People will sit up and take notice if you become the Trainer of one.

Surely they could have come up with something more interesting.

Ignition, NeedsAName and Leonhart like this.
  8. Requiem Aeternam

Requiem Aeternam Dance like an eggplant!

That the Gigantamax forms of Flapple and Appletun both have the exact same menu sprite. I’m trying to get a HA G-Max Flapple but the only way I can do that is by joining random raids and I’m ending up with more Appletun than Flapple.

Venomshock, NeedsAName and Entradius1 like this.
  9. Captain Jigglypuff

I have an extra Flapple but I’m not sure about it’s Ability. Do you only want a HA GMax Flapple?

NeedsAName likes this.
  10. Requiem Aeternam

Requiem Aeternam Dance like an eggplant!

I’ve managed to catch one already but thanks anyway.

NeedsAName likes this.
  11. Captain Jigglypuff

I find it annoying that Inkay and Malamar can’t learn Octazooka still but a seahorse Can despite actual sea horses don’t make ink.

You’re welcome.

NeedsAName likes this.
  12. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I seem to recall that HG/SS had quite a few short and dull Zukan (Pokedex) entries for the Gen III and IV Pokemon. I can't list them all, but from memory it seemed like the programmers didn't even try when it came to adding interesting flavor text.

Venomshock and NeedsAName like this.
  13. Weavy

Weavy They call me the one who loves cats.

This bothers me as well, but do you want to know which ones annoy me the most? The Ultra Beasts, specifically from USUM. Not counting Nihilego and the new ones introduced in said games, they all have the exact same dex entry word for word in one of those versions each. The entry is as follows:

"Although it's alien to this world and a danger here, it's apparently a common organism in the world which in normally lives"

Did those Ultra Beasts really need to have the same Dex entry? They could have come up with some unique for the opposite game instead of that.

Speaking of Dex entries, something else that's bothered me rather recently for SwSh is that the official website has some additional information as well as brief descriptions for some of the Gen 8 mons, but none of this extra information is mentioned in their Dex entries. It would have been cool to see that in game, but apparently not.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  14. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: Orientating surprises!

GF adding Mega Evolution to Switch in Let's Go just to remove it in SwSh

Redstar45, Luthor, Ignition and 2 others like this.
  15. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Samayo Kiri, Keeper of the Gates Ethereal

It's because to learn Octazooka you need something that can fire like a cannon, like Seadra's mouth. Although apparently Grapploct gets it but I assume that that is because it is an octopus.

wolf jani and NeedsAName like this.
  16. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Melony and Hatterene never say ara ara

EmeraldArcanine and NeedsAName like this.
  17. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

Having played Sword I think the lack of focus given to the Melony/Gordie backstory is somewhat disappointing. I was very confused why I walked into what I was expecting to be an ice gym and it turned out to be a rock gym (which was admittedly not a issue as given similar weakness ) which if after the battle there was a hint behind the reasoning would have felt more complete

NeedsAName and Leonhart like this.
  18. theclaw

theclaw Mr. Jolteon

The complaining about gen 1. Drop the ignorant act.
    It might be difficult to describe what exactly is different about them, but the original Pokemon designs have achieved by far the widest general recognition by the public for a very good reason.

Venomshock and NeedsAName like this.
  19. Ignition

Ignition Smug Smasher

Because they’re the oldest? They’d naturally have more time to get recognition in pop culture and there’s always the nostalgic bias. That doesn’t really prove anything about how good Kanto or it designs are because the same situation would happen if Gen 5 or 8’s designs were first.

No one’s ignorant about why there’s Kanto bias. The familiarity is what makes people tired of seeing it so commonly.

20. Captain Jigglypuff

I don’t know why people keep complaining about Gen 1 getting extra love in every game. Without it we wouldn’t even have seven more generations of Pokémon or anime. Nintendo keeps referencing DK and Mario’s first game in newer Mario games. Zelda has used Ganon in one form or another for several games and even reuse Octorocks in almost every single game in the series. Sometimes it’s better to keep using things that started a major video game phenomenon.

NeedsAName likes this.