• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I disagree. Go created new fans that would never have played a Pokémon game before its release and it is the reason Pokémon actually had a Super Bowl commercial which is a huge deal for any business or franchise. When you get an ad that premieres during the Super Bowl, you know you’ve made it. Sonic never got a commercial. Legend of Zelda hasn’t either. And Super Smash Bros definitely never got a Super Bowl ad. But Pokémon Go, a game not at the even out at the time got one and for the 20th anniversary of the franchise too. Mario didn’t even get one for the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros and he is a major pop culture icon.

I see where you are coming from. I always see most GO players as the new Genwunners, someone who stays loyal only to their game of choice (GO and R/B/Y) and refuses to try other entries in the franchise. Super Bowl only increased that traction, and shows that GO would not have become the highest-grossing entry in the franchise had it not had traction during such a major sporting event.

Luthor

Lazy Pokedex entries annoy me

look at Unfezent's entries in just Sword and Shield

Male

Sword: Unfezant are exceptional fliers. The females are known for their stamina, while the males outclass them in terms of speed.
Shield: This Pokémon is intelligent and intensely proud. People will sit up and take notice if you become the Trainer of one.

Female

Sword: Females of this species are very capable fliers, particularly notable for their stamina. They also take longer to adjust to people.
Shield: This Pokémon is intelligent and intensely proud. People will sit up and take notice if you become the Trainer of one.

Surely they could have come up with something more interesting.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
That the Gigantamax forms of Flapple and Appletun both have the exact same menu sprite. I’m trying to get a HA G-Max Flapple but the only way I can do that is by joining random raids and I’m ending up with more Appletun than Flapple.
I have an extra Flapple but I’m not sure about it’s Ability. Do you only want a HA GMax Flapple?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:

I seem to recall that HG/SS had quite a few short and dull Zukan (Pokedex) entries for the Gen III and IV Pokemon. I can't list them all, but from memory it seemed like the programmers didn't even try when it came to adding interesting flavor text.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly

This bothers me as well, but do you want to know which ones annoy me the most? The Ultra Beasts, specifically from USUM. Not counting Nihilego and the new ones introduced in said games, they all have the exact same dex entry word for word in one of those versions each. The entry is as follows:

"Although it's alien to this world and a danger here, it's apparently a common organism in the world which in normally lives"

Did those Ultra Beasts really need to have the same Dex entry? They could have come up with some unique for the opposite game instead of that.

Speaking of Dex entries, something else that's bothered me rather recently for SwSh is that the official website has some additional information as well as brief descriptions for some of the Gen 8 mons, but none of this extra information is mentioned in their Dex entries. It would have been cool to see that in game, but apparently not.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I find it annoying that Inkay and Malamar can’t learn Octazooka still but a seahorse Can despite actual sea horses don’t make ink.

You’re welcome.
It's because to learn Octazooka you need something that can fire like a cannon, like Seadra's mouth. Although apparently Grapploct gets it but I assume that that is because it is an octopus.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Melony and Hatterene never say ara ara

Luthor

Having played Sword I think the lack of focus given to the Melony/Gordie backstory is somewhat disappointing. I was very confused why I walked into what I was expecting to be an ice gym and it turned out to be a rock gym (which was admittedly not a issue as given similar weakness ) which if after the battle there was a hint behind the reasoning would have felt more complete

theclaw

Mr. Jolteon
The complaining about gen 1. Drop the ignorant act.
It might be difficult to describe what exactly is different about them, but the original Pokemon designs have achieved by far the widest general recognition by the public for a very good reason.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
The complaining about gen 1. Drop the ignorant act.
It might be difficult to describe what exactly is different about them, but the original Pokemon designs have achieved by far the widest general recognition by the public for a very good reason.
Because they’re the oldest? They’d naturally have more time to get recognition in pop culture and there’s always the nostalgic bias. That doesn’t really prove anything about how good Kanto or it designs are because the same situation would happen if Gen 5 or 8’s designs were first.

No one’s ignorant about why there’s Kanto bias. The familiarity is what makes people tired of seeing it so commonly.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I don’t know why people keep complaining about Gen 1 getting extra love in every game. Without it we wouldn’t even have seven more generations of Pokémon or anime. Nintendo keeps referencing DK and Mario’s first game in newer Mario games. Zelda has used Ganon in one form or another for several games and even reuse Octorocks in almost every single game in the series. Sometimes it’s better to keep using things that started a major video game phenomenon.

Ignition

That’s terrible logic. Sure I agree the complaints about Gen 1 representation get a bit overboard but
it’s not the same as Mario or DK. Both of them don’t let the references and callback take as much significance as Pokémon does with Gen 1. Saying we wouldn’t have others generations w/o is a no brainer.

And it’s not like people are mad over Kanto getting representation: look at regional variations & Megas as well as the return of Red/Blue in SM. It’s when it gets more than other regions and the same Pokémon get attention like Meowth, Eevee, & Charizard.

I don’t see how it’s not obvious why people don’t like it regardless of if you agree or not

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:
I don’t know why people keep complaining about Gen 1 getting extra love in every game. Without it we wouldn’t even have seven more generations of Pokémon or anime. Nintendo keeps referencing DK and Mario’s first game in newer Mario games. Zelda has used Ganon in one form or another for several games and even reuse Octorocks in almost every single game in the series. Sometimes it’s better to keep using things that started a major video game phenomenon.

I get what you're trying to say, although I think many of the complaints about too much Gen I pandering have had more to do with the sheer amount of Gen I nostalgia bait by comparison to, say, Gen II nostalgia pandering. I like Kanto as much as anyone, but after about five or six years of back-to-back Gen I nostalgia bombs, I've grown extremely weary of that whole era of the franchise.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Female Salandit don't have a gender distinction. It's frustrating because in Sword and Shield you can see overworld Combee's gender difference so you know what's not useless. Not so with Salandit

Ignition

All the Gym Leader’s in SwSh’s post game tell you, in some variation, to call them if you need their assistance but there’s never a time to use it. Realistically, one would think they’d help you in Max Raid battles. It’s not like it’s unprecedented for you to recruit important NPCs for battles.

Luthor

As the GTS now goes through Pokemon Home what can now be annoying is while you move a Pokemon Home to do the trade you end up missing the trade due to the time it takes.