• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Just got a hacked Fancy pattern Vivillon off the GTS which I promptly released. I don’t even know how these can be traded in the first place. Same with the PokeBall pattern ones.

They can be traded because the hackers go through a lot of trouble to learn the hack filters and figure out what can pass and what gets rejected. It WOULD be an arms race and a battle of wits with any other developer...but Game Freak updates the filters just once per release because they (or The Pokémon Company) do not like doing online updates.

I just did a raid on Sword and all the people had shiny Pokémon that were 4x weak to the raid Pokémon. They then knocked me out and someone else out and tried to stall moves to show off. I just rebooted my game. I wasn’t going to sit through that.

They sound really entitled. They might even be griefers, trying to sabotage raids because they think it's funny.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Well GF is onto them, as a good part of their contract deals with both cloning and hacking via Home. Noticed it, while reading it lately.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Pokémon Go's limited research having "earn candy with your buddy" and "hatch eggs" as a mission. Those are so annoying to do at home, specially if you have a limited space to walk around.

The Sinnoh one has two of those blasted earn candy with your buddy. I'm currently stuck in the second earn candy ones <_<

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Pokémon Go's limited research having "earn candy with your buddy" and "hatch eggs" as a mission. Those are so annoying to do at home, specially if you have a limited space to walk around.

The Sinnoh one has two of those blasted earn candy with your buddy. I'm currently stuck in the second earn candy ones <_<
I can’t even do those missions because I play Go on my iPad which doesn’t have 3G.

Luthor

It annoys me slightly that for being the Pokemon based on a blue whale Wailord's Sword and Shield battle render just looks so small.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
It annoys me slightly that for being the Pokemon based on a blue whale Wailord's Sword and Shield battle render just looks so small.
Ever seen the HGSS following the player sprite? It’s even smaller and buildings are so much bigger than it is in both height and width!

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
I just looked through 8th generation Pokemon due to some nostalgia about the times I was still actively into Pokemon. Basically from the times I first saw Pokemon on tv to the end of 6th generation games. I had this thought "these new Pokemon don't 'feel' like Pokemon to me anymore... meh..." and suddenly I noticed myself criticising myself that I'm too radical/not accepting enough of change. This echoed from the times when I met someone who took grave offense when I said (quite harshly) I don't like the newer generation she did, and it would result in endless arguments for simply having different tastes. The only way to avoid this was just to be very mild and neutral, in other words sometimes lying to her (and myself eventually) instead of just staying true about what I like and dislike.

A long time has passed since then but I've held all this within and compulsively acted super neutral to others and myself just to ensure it doesn't cause those draining arguments with anyone again even by accident. Finally becoming aware how rotten habits one person from my past had sown, I breathe with more ease again and just say how it is. Even while times change, most of 8th generation Pokemon feel even "less" Pokemon to me than 4th, 5th and 7th gen. And I still found more or less I liked in those earlier generations like mega evolutions but it's not the same idea of what Pokemon was, that I "fell in love with".

And yes, sometimes change grinds my gears and it's unavoidable. But even more, people who take offense for having different personal tastes about Pokemon like that, totally grinds my gears! Lucky these types are still avoidable.

MrJechgo

I feel like many of us have gotten the "Gym Leader Syndrome", which has pushed us to wish/demand/request just about every type combination possible. How many of us are waiting for an Electric/Fighting, Ground/Fairy, Ice/Poison and whatnot? How many of us have started to see any single-typed Pokémon with disdain and blandness? How many of us have been angered for not getting any new type combinations for our dream team? Some of us rejoiced when we saw Morpeko and Toxtricity, while I'm sure some were not impressed by Boltund, Thievul and Edelgoss.

This has been somewhat extended to starter as well, especially with Gen 8, which had Rillaboom, Cinderace and Inteleon being single-typed starters, and not Grass/Dark, Fire/Ground and Water/Fighting (personal picks, minf you). This can be said even further to returning typings that a few have waited for more Pokémon. Fire/Rock (Gen 2 Marcargo to Gen 8 Coalossal), Fire/Dark (Gen 2 Houndoom to Gen 7 Incineroar), Water/Psychic (Gen 2 Slowking to Gen 7 Bruxish), just to name a few. Mega evolutions have locked some typings that people wished they were converted into regular ones, especially for their Pokémon. Sceptile (Grass/Dragon), Ampharos (Electric/Dragon), Lopbunny (Normal/Fighting), Altaria (Dragon/Fairy), Charizard (Fire/Dragon), Gyarados (Water/Dark), again to name a few.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I just looked through 8th generation Pokemon due to some nostalgia about the times I was still actively into Pokemon. Basically from the times I first saw Pokemon on tv to the end of 6th generation games. I had this thought "these new Pokemon don't 'feel' like Pokemon to me anymore... meh..." and suddenly I noticed myself criticising myself that I'm too radical/not accepting enough of change. This echoed from the times when I met someone who took grave offense when I said (quite harshly) I don't like the newer generation she did, and it would result in endless arguments for simply having different tastes. The only way to avoid this was just to be very mild and neutral, in other words sometimes lying to her (and myself eventually) instead of just staying true about what I like and dislike.

A long time has passed since then but I've held all this within and compulsively acted super neutral to others and myself just to ensure it doesn't cause those draining arguments with anyone again even by accident. Finally becoming aware how rotten habits one person from my past had sown, I breathe with more ease again and just say how it is. Even while times change, most of 8th generation Pokemon feel even "less" Pokemon to me than 4th, 5th and 7th gen. And I still found more or less I liked in those earlier generations like mega evolutions but it's not the same idea of what Pokemon was, that I "fell in love with".

And yes, sometimes change grinds my gears and it's unavoidable. But even more, people who take offense for having different personal tastes about Pokemon like that, totally grinds my gears! Lucky these types are still avoidable.

That there's a different style in Generation VIII was intentional: James Turner supervised the character design for this generation rather than Ken Sugimori, who had done so for Generations I to VII, since this time, Game Freak actually had an artist from the real-world location they based a region on besides Japan. This is likely the reason why, and you likely don't like Turner's style as much as Sugimori's. That's understandable, as Turner's first Pokémon designs--the Vanillite, Vullaby, and Golett lines--are some of the more divisive ones of Generation V. (For the record, Sugimori now has a mostly supervisory role; he still designs Pokémon, including Generation VIII Pokémon, but there have been roughly 50 artists who have designed Pokémon over the years.)

To get an idea of Turner's natural style, Tembo the Badass Elephant was his personal project Game Freak put together. The way it looks and plays, you would never know it was from the same development team as some of the main series Pokémon games.

Me, I like the Generation VIII designs and I feel like there is a genuine Britishness to them that's normally uncharacteristic of Japanese media, which tend to depict the UK as a highly romanticized Victorian place--think the Professor Layton games. (The Japanese romanticize France in a similar way, which you can see with Kalos. There is a real psychological condition, Paris Syndrome, in which Japanese tourists fall ill visiting popular cities when they find out they don't look like how they expected the places to look.) There's kind of a black comedy to some of them too, particularly the fossils.

I feel like many of us have gotten the "Gym Leader Syndrome", which has pushed us to wish/demand/request just about every type combination possible. How many of us are waiting for an Electric/Fighting, Ground/Fairy, Ice/Poison and whatnot? How many of us have started to see any single-typed Pokémon with disdain and blandness? How many of us have been angered for not getting any new type combinations for our dream team? Some of us rejoiced when we saw Morpeko and Toxtricity, while I'm sure some were not impressed by Boltund, Thievul and Edelgoss.

This has been somewhat extended to starter as well, especially with Gen 8, which had Rillaboom, Cinderace and Inteleon being single-typed starters, and not Grass/Dark, Fire/Ground and Water/Fighting (personal picks, minf you). This can be said even further to returning typings that a few have waited for more Pokémon. Fire/Rock (Gen 2 Marcargo to Gen 8 Coalossal), Fire/Dark (Gen 2 Houndoom to Gen 7 Incineroar), Water/Psychic (Gen 2 Slowking to Gen 7 Bruxish), just to name a few. Mega evolutions have locked some typings that people wished they were converted into regular ones, especially for their Pokémon. Sceptile (Grass/Dragon), Ampharos (Electric/Dragon), Lopbunny (Normal/Fighting), Altaria (Dragon/Fairy), Charizard (Fire/Dragon), Gyarados (Water/Dark), again to name a few.

That annoys me too, but I think part of it is because people had been building "50-foot slide" style speculations, getting excited about them, and getting disappointed when it didn't happen. I think that, in the age of Internet instantaneousness and social media, Game Freak's approach to being extremely quiet created that monster. In the absence of confirmed information, the fans create their own to hold them over.

That resulted in phenomena, like right here on the Serebii Forums, where people were guessing there would be Pokémon themed on the Beatles, the Nuckelavee, Elizabeth Tower, Lewis Carroll characters, C.S. Lewis characters (for some reason), and many other things (many of which were based on the aforementioned romanticized idea of how the UK must be like). When there WEREN'T Pokémon based on these concepts, they got angry, as if they were personally rejected. Instead, we got Pokémon based on concepts like The Shard (Gigantamax Duraludon), cats aboard Viking ships (Galarian Meowth and Perrserker), Scottish red squirrels (Greedent), and cormorants (Cramorant), which are largely more mundane but reflect actual British culture and history more accurately; the same people expecting Pokémon based on Theme-Park UK like the Mad Hatter, Beefeaters and Big Ben didn't recognize these references at all.

MrJechgo

That annoys me too, but I think part of it is because people had been building "50-foot slide" style speculations, getting excited about them, and getting disappointed when it didn't happen. I think that, in the age of Internet instantaneousness and social media, Game Freak's approach to being extremely quiet created that monster. In the absence of confirmed information, the fans create their own to hold them over.

That resulted in phenomena, like right here on the Serebii Forums, where people were guessing there would be Pokémon themed on the Beatles, the Nuckelavee, Elizabeth Tower, Lewis Carroll characters, C.S. Lewis characters (for some reason), and many other things (many of which were based on the aforementioned romanticized idea of how the UK must be like). When there WEREN'T Pokémon based on these concepts, they got angry, as if they were personally rejected. Instead, we got Pokémon based on concepts like The Shard (Gigantamax Duraludon), cats aboard Viking ships (Galarian Meowth and Perrserker), Scottish red squirrels (Greedent), and cormorants (Cramorant), which are largely more mundane but reflect actual British culture and history more accurately; the same people expecting Pokémon based on Theme-Park UK like the Mad Hatter, Beefeaters and Big Ben didn't recognize these references at all.
I believe that's because people are wishing for a more "over-the-top" design than being based on rather realistic ones. Then again, maybe because not everyone knows British culture as much as they know about Polynesian culture or French culture.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I believe that's because people are wishing for a more "over-the-top" design than being based on rather realistic ones. Then again, maybe because not everyone knows British culture as much as they know about Polynesian culture or French culture.

Nothing wrong with that (though I would always advocate to be more informed and to have broad knowledge on things). What IS wrong is taking speculation and treating it like it's a foregone conclusion. You had people going, "Where is my Cheshire Cat Pokémon?" and "Where is my Nuckelavee Pokémon?" They were doing the equivalent of buying a lottery ticket and expecting to win.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
This has been somewhat extended to starter as well, especially with Gen 8, which had Rillaboom, Cinderace and Inteleon being single-typed starters, and not Grass/Dark, Fire/Ground and Water/Fighting (personal picks, mind you).

Those are my picks as well. I've been waiting for those same combos for a while so we can get a complete "dual starter trinity".

But really I just want a water/fighting starter friend for my Blaziken and Chesnaught.

A grass/dark starter buddy to go with Incineroar and Greninja would be quite good as well.

Luthor

Ever seen the HGSS following the player sprite? It’s even smaller and buildings are so much bigger than it is in both height and width!

I'll admit that's not great either. I think the reason the Wailord size Sword and Shield bothers me is by now they should be able to scale giant Pokemon by now considering battles have been in every game. At least with the following Pokemon in Heartgold and Soulsilver I could blame the limits of the system or the fact following Pokemon is only limited to certain games so they had limited time.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’m really disliking SwSh’s meta: The Dex cut had balancing as one of its reasonings but I just see an even smaller pool of Pokémon than I did in Gen 7 and most of them are the same high tier threats that have been a part of the meta since Gen 5. I thought the streamlined experience of getting a competitive Pokémon would make it even more fun this time but I get burned out so quickly that I have a box of Pokémon that had a battle or 2 then I just don’t bother.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I’m really disliking SwSh’s meta: The Dex cut had balancing as one of its reasonings but I just see an even smaller pool of Pokémon than I did in Gen 7 and most of them are the same high tier threats that have been a part of the meta since Gen 5. I thought the streamlined experience of getting a competitive Pokémon would make it even more fun this time but I get burned out so quickly that I have a box of Pokémon that had a battle or 2 then I just don’t bother.
Since Gen V, I was always breeding different Pokemon for competitive use. Gen VIII's dex cut, for some reason, killed that motivation for me. I only have like five-six new competitive Pokemon this time compared to where I had at least 30 from the previous three generations lol.

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
That there's a different style in Generation VIII was intentional: James Turner supervised the character design for this generation rather than Ken Sugimori, who had done so for Generations I to VII, since this time, Game Freak actually had an artist from the real-world location they based a region on besides Japan. This is likely the reason why, and you likely don't like Turner's style as much as Sugimori's. That's understandable, as Turner's first Pokémon designs--the Vanillite, Vullaby, and Golett lines--are some of the more divisive ones of Generation V. (For the record, Sugimori now has a mostly supervisory role; he still designs Pokémon, including Generation VIII Pokémon, but there have been roughly 50 artists who have designed Pokémon over the years.)

To get an idea of Turner's natural style, Tembo the Badass Elephant was his personal project Game Freak put together. The way it looks and plays, you would never know it was from the same development team as some of the main series Pokémon games.

Me, I like the Generation VIII designs and I feel like there is a genuine Britishness to them that's normally uncharacteristic of Japanese media, which tend to depict the UK as a highly romanticized Victorian place--think the Professor Layton games. (The Japanese romanticize France in a similar way, which you can see with Kalos. There is a real psychological condition, Paris Syndrome, in which Japanese tourists fall ill visiting popular cities when they find out they don't look like how they expected the places to look.) There's kind of a black comedy to some of them too, particularly the fossils.

Hmm-m, I don't know but could be. I mean yeah, many of these 8th generation Pokemon seem to have more childlike designs in a way that is even more empathised than in earlier generations. And the first gens didn't have very complicated designs either, unlike 5th generation which I just disliked because of its theme. But I may also generally be biased a little as many franchises (that are already aimed at children/teens mostly but adults like them too) which have adopted more child-friendly line/plots/designs, have just made me lose interest that way. It feels like massive bandwagon.

Also, I can't say for sure as I've not played 8th generation games but I've also been put off by Pokemon having become too technical and complex: there's too much to utilise, although some old stuff have also been dropped out. I don't know if Z-moves and mega evolutions are still a thing, but those new giant evolutions just feel so exaggerated. Guess I should just say, I prefer childlike but not in exaggerated manner like this. Unsure how much personal bias there is but I felt that games/tv series/movies etc had more depth and there was less nit-picking about inserting serious issues into plots than there is now... or if there is, it feels just... shallow. Some newer anime and games (that are also directed for children/teens) still have that touch that I miss though and they're not even remakes of the old stuff... most remakes feel shallow as well.

To comment on psychology part, it's true people tend to romanticise all that is foreign to them or what they haven't experienced. Some romanticisation in creative work is good to make it more impressive and fantasy-like (yes, I liked Kalos because of it!), although there's also danger to send wrong messages like how I felt about Disney movies romanticising romantic relationships and making especially girls vulnerable for possibly abusive partners (which is what some of the original stories Disney took inspiration from were about). Life experience is also important to understand that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Hmm-m, I don't know but could be. I mean yeah, many of these 8th generation Pokemon seem to have more childlike designs in a way that is even more empathised than in earlier generations. And the first gens didn't have very complicated designs either, unlike 5th generation which I just disliked because of its theme. But I may also generally be biased a little as many franchises (that are already aimed at children/teens mostly but adults like them too) which have adopted more child-friendly line/plots/designs, have just made me lose interest that way. It feels like massive bandwagon.

Also, I can't say for sure as I've not played 8th generation games but I've also been put off by Pokemon having become too technical and complex: there's too much to utilise, although some old stuff have also been dropped out. I don't know if Z-moves and mega evolutions are still a thing, but those new giant evolutions just feel so exaggerated. Guess I should just say, I prefer childlike but not in exaggerated manner like this. Unsure how much personal bias there is but I felt that games/tv series/movies etc had more depth and there was less nit-picking about inserting serious issues into plots than there is now... or if there is, it feels just... shallow. Some newer anime and games (that are also directed for children/teens) still have that touch that I miss though and they're not even remakes of the old stuff... most remakes feel shallow as well.

For the record, both Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves have been excised from Generation VIII. So far, at least.

There's a fine line between complexity and convolutedness. Something can be complex without it being convoluted, while something else can be convoluted without it being complex. I think Pokémon has done a good job of introducing something complex without it feeling convoluted, considering little kids all over the world continue to get introduced to the franchise and not feel overwhelmed. The games ease players in gradually. The single-player mode is essentially one long tutorial, introducing you to the concept of battling, then of type matchups, and whatever they feel is a good order to do it in. Sword and Shield, for instance, has a late-game character who does double battling with sandstorm up. People complain that he's too easy to beat, but it was meant for players who have never done double battling or using the weather before.

For the record, Generation I is my least favorite design-wise. It's forgivable as they had just gotten started and had no plans to continue, and the design choices were all over the place, but they didn't really start combining themes or becoming more stylized until later. I also don't really like the more realistic look they had back then for Pokémon like Rapidash or the more vaguely monster-ish designs they had like Rhydon (though I do find it amusing they went back to that for Generation VIII's Coalossal). They never would've made something like Aromatisse back then, which combines at least four themes together: a flamingo, a can-can dancer, a plague doctor, and a perfume bottle.

I use nontraditional Pokémon, and I get endless satisfaction out of giving the people on Ranked a hard time by showing them that they need to expect the unexpected.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Do you know what grinds my gears?

I use lubricant oil to help Klink rotate its body.

Bad jokes aside, I am finding G-Max Meowth to be so hard to catch. It seems pointless now unless you don't already have one, so good luck if you don't.

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
For the record, both Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves have been excised from Generation VIII. So far, at least.

There's a fine line between complexity and convolutedness. Something can be complex without it being convoluted, while something else can be convoluted without it being complex. I think Pokémon has done a good job of introducing something complex without it feeling convoluted, considering little kids all over the world continue to get introduced to the franchise and not feel overwhelmed. The games ease players in gradually. The single-player mode is essentially one long tutorial, introducing you to the concept of battling, then of type matchups, and whatever they feel is a good order to do it in. Sword and Shield, for instance, has a late-game character who does double battling with sandstorm up. People complain that he's too easy to beat, but it was meant for players who have never done double battling or using the weather before.

Ah, well, guess I meant convoluted by complex as my vocabulary isn't on the level of a native english speaker. I tended to get overwhelmed in Gen 7 with Z-moves and mega evolutions adding their own mix into regular battling where there were already many factors playing part such as type combos, EVs, IVs, natures... increased amount of abiltiies you could use. But everyone's different in that regard as I've just gotten worn out of putting so much effort and time on gaming I used to when younger.

For the record, Generation I is my least favorite design-wise. It's forgivable as they had just gotten started and had no plans to continue, and the design choices were all over the place, but they didn't really start combining themes or becoming more stylized until later. I also don't really like the more realistic look they had back then for Pokémon like Rapidash or the more vaguely monster-ish designs they had like Rhydon (though I do find it amusing they went back to that for Generation VIII's Coalossal). They never would've made something like Aromatisse back then, which combines at least four themes together: a flamingo, a can-can dancer, a plague doctor, and a perfume bottle.

Haha, that's where we are different. I've been more into that mix of realistic animal designs that have been made fantasy-like. Or simple item/mineral-mons like... Magnemite isn't that bad or Geodude which is basically a rock with face and arms. Thinking about how Pokemon such as Clefairy, Jigglypuff and Venonat existed in the first gen, it was a matter of time when they'd make Pokemon such as Aromatisse if we look at designs. Fairy type was a welcome addition in Gen 6 though, it has some cool Pokemon as well. But as I've said on these forums before, after gen 6 my interest in Pokemon went downhill, probably just something changed about Pokemon and I started being consumed by other matters IRL, but I like to simplify it as in "Pokemon didn't feel like Pokemon I fell in love with anymore/it no longer speaks to my soul"... and I used to be pretty passionate and loyal Pokemon fan.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Pokemon Go asking you every time you are sure you want to transfer Meltan.

I can catch as many as I want, thank you very much, and because I got desensitized from this, I accidentally transferred a shiny.