• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Leonhart

Imagineer
It's been a problem for a while now ever since I began collecting them, but I really dislike how expensive Tomy figurines are. They're too small to be priced so high on the secondary market, and some like the Goronda (Pangoro) figurine have awful size proportions.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
It's been a problem for a while now ever since I began collecting them, but I really dislike how expensive Tomy figurines are. They're too small to be priced so high on the secondary market, and some like the Goronda (Pangoro) figurine have awful size proportions.
I remember how there were these action figures of Pokémon that had action around the same time RS came out and the scale on a few of them were weird. I think Aggron was the same size as the Swampert figure height wise and the Swampert was much wider. And then there was this Metagross figure that was about as wide as the Swampert but shorter.

MrJechgo

Wait until they release a figure for Alolan Exeggutor or Wailord XD

BTW @Leonhart , how in Arceus's name are you able to fluently call Pokémon by their original Japanese names without even flubbing a letter O_O ? That's actually impressive ;)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:
I remember how there were these action figures of Pokémon that had action around the same time RS came out and the scale on a few of them were weird. I think Aggron was the same size as the Swampert figure height wise and the Swampert was much wider. And then there was this Metagross figure that was about as wide as the Swampert but shorter.

I vaguely remember buying some Gen III Pokemon figurines at Target back in 2004: they came in a set with a larger evolved Pokemon, and a smaller base stage Pokemon. The problem is that the base stage Pokemon figures were extremely small, and I actually lost most of them because they were easily misplaced.

MrJechgo said:
BTW @Leonhart , how in Arceus's name are you able to fluently call Pokémon by their original Japanese names without even flubbing a letter O_O ? That's actually impressive ;)

I live in Japan, so using the Japanese names is second nature to me. But I do sometimes make mistakes: for instance when it comes to "Rhydon", I sometimes switch between typing "Saidon" and "Sidon" because the former is how it's spelled in katakana, while the latter is the official romanization of the name. It can get confusing.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Seems like the impossible GTS requests are back even though they were supposed to have been patched out. Seeing a lot of Lv1-10 Mr. Rime, Lv11-20 starter final evolutions and some others being requested. I know for a fact that these were put up after the patch as most of them are for Kubfu and Urshifu trades. I’ve also seen a ridiculous amount of hacked Kubfu and Urshifu with URL nicknames.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
That reminds me...

I've been seeing a LOT of obviously hacked Pokemon from surprise trade, especially the ones with the URL nicknames, they tend to be shiny and instantly battle ready. Me being responsible, I release these obviously hacked Pokemon since I don't support it. It puts me off surprise trade sometimes, in case they show up again. I usually like seeing what I get, but people like this ruin it.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
That reminds me...

I've been seeing a LOT of obviously hacked Pokemon from surprise trade, especially the ones with the URL nicknames, they tend to be shiny and instantly battle ready. Me being responsible, I release these obviously hacked Pokemon since I don't support it. It puts me off surprise trade sometimes, in case they show up again. I usually like seeing what I get, but people like this ruin it.

Yeah that's annoying, I just throw them back in cause I know there are people who don't care.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I release them. Just got an Urshifu via trade today myself. Tested it against a wild Pokemon for a laugh and then released it.

Bill the Typhlosion

People that complain the games are too easy.

Easy is good. It’s nice to play a video game and not be pulling my hair out in frustration because this Miltank won’t die.

I kind of agree, actually, that the games being easy isn't a bad thing. I play Pokemon games to relax, and I like the fact that they're not too taxing. I don't tend to enjoy the Battle Facilities that much in the postgame, because once the difficulty increases to frustrating levels, it stops being relaxing.

I think perhaps some of the older games are actually too difficult, at least for children. As a kid I never managed to complete LeafGreen because I couldn't beat the Elite Four. I also got so frustrated with the Elite Four in Pearl that I decided to "cheat" by trading over my stronger Pokemon from SoulSilver to help me.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
People that complain the games are too easy.

Easy is good. It’s nice to play a video game and not be pulling my hair out in frustration because this Miltank won’t die.

I disagree. I prefer games that give me a real challenge. Even though I absolutely hated Whitney's Miltank, I wish there were more gym battles like it.

However, with Sword & Shield I realized Pokémon games aren't necessarily too easy; we're just too knowledgeable about how to play them. We've been playing for so long, we've drained the series of its difficulty. This is much like Mortal Kombat games for me. All I have to do is skim a character's moveset for 30 seconds and I'm whoopin' everyone's a**. lol I'm just too used to the games.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Bill the Typhlosion said:
As a kid I never managed to complete LeafGreen because I couldn't beat the Elite Four.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I just can't really wrap my mind around the idea of not being able to beat them. I will admit that I struggled when I faced them in both LeafGreen and FireRed, but level grinding is pretty much a must at that point. So the first thing that players would do if they lost to the Four Heavenly Kings (Elite Four) would be to train their Pokemon until they raise their levels.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
However, with Sword & Shield I realized Pokémon games aren't necessarily too easy; we're just too knowledgeable about how to play them.

Yup, that's something very important. A kid who's just picking up Pokemon now probably will have a lot of trouble beating Nessa, Kabu, etc. And they will learn from that and if they still play Pokemon in 10 years they'll probably also think the games aren't nearly as hard as when they were a kid.

I don't mean to sound rude, but I just can't really wrap my mind around the idea of not being able to beat them. I will admit that I struggled when I faced them in both LeafGreen and FireRed, but level grinding is pretty much a must at that point. So the first thing that players would do if they lost to the Four Heavenly Kings (Elite Four) would be to train their Pokemon until they raise their levels.

My first Pokemon game was Yellow when I was 9 years old. I got stuck on Giovanni's gym and never finished it, because it was too hard and I just didn't understand Pokemon that well yet. I then played Gold when I was 10-11, went back to Yellow and suddenly everything seemed a lot easier already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I stand corrected... but it still doesn't change my stance. I feel like legendary and mythical Pokémon are supposed to be rare, not made extinct for gameplay purposes. That almost feels like Master Mustard has this breeding ground filled with Kubfus ^^;

Also, what's so legendary about Kubfu and Urshifu, when if you think about it, they're just as standard as any Pokémon that evolve within a certain location?

Kubfu and Urshifu are likely supposed to be like Zorua and Zoroark: They're hyped up to be something really special, but this time, they have a fallback in case it doesn't work out. The illusion foxes were originally mythical in obtainability, for instance, but everything else about them suggested they were just ordinary Pokémon. Marketing made it seem like the next big thing in Pokémon like with Riolu and Lucario, but it didn't turn out that way, and by the following generation, they could be found in the wild in unlimited quantities.

So far, people seem to be taking to Kubfu and Urshifu more than they have Zorua and Zoroark though.

They kept doing it at least to Generation IV.

EHus0oP.png

That reminds me...

Unfortunately for you and I, a lot of kids really like getting them, and these guys are essentially advertising themselves. These hacked shiny Pokémon are, for all intents and purposes, free samples.

Yup, that's something very important. A kid who's just picking up Pokemon now probably will have a lot of trouble beating Nessa, Kabu, etc. And they will learn from that and if they still play Pokemon in 10 years they'll probably also think the games aren't nearly as hard as when they were a kid.

Not just kids, but any age group inexperienced in it all. That audience has only gotten larger with Pokémon GO, so the Let's Go! games were created as a way to transition GO players to the main series mechanics. I've seen enough cases of GO players completely fumbling with things that might seem like a given in video games that Let's Go! might have been too hard for them. Pokémon GO has no real story or geographical progression, uses a different system of hand-eye coordination as a traditional video game, and has mechanics even more simplified than a standard Pokémon game. That, and Let's Go! has battling, not collection, as its primary mechanic, and it's completely different than GO battling. The result is that some people going into Let's Go! struggle with things like player character movement, how to do battle, and why you should go to Viridian City when Route 1 has plenty of Pokémon to catch. Imagine how someone might play a Pokémon game who has no clue what a non-mobile video game is like. It's overwhelming, and this is maybe an order of magnitude smaller than getting into it through, say, Sun and Moon, which were the first main series Pokémon games released after GO.

Raihan, though, would be the standout example of someone who'd be a complete stopping block for people with Sword and Shield as their first main series Pokémon games, because he uses both weather and double battles.

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
When X and Y first came out I struggled to beat the Elite Four in that, despite it being one of, if not the easiest Elite Four challenges. Though I eventually beat them after grinding I still found it extremely difficult. Sure, I could probably beat them no problem now, but kids will struggle a lot more than you'd think. That's not to say, of course, that I advocate for lowering the difficulty of Pokémon games.

MrJechgo

Kubfu and Urshifu are likely supposed to be like Zorua and Zoroark: They're hyped up to be something really special, but this time, they have a fallback in case it doesn't work out. The illusion foxes were originally mythical in obtainability, for instance, but everything else about them suggested they were just ordinary Pokémon. Marketing made it seem like the next big thing in Pokémon like with Riolu and Lucario, but it didn't turn out that way, and by the following generation, they could be found in the wild in unlimited quantities.
Hmmm... from what I've read, Zorua, Zoroark, Riolu and Lucario were made "mythical" due to their roles in their respective movies. Dude, we could have thought that Togepi (yes, that one) was mythical because it appeared in the anime way before it was a Gen 2 regular Pokémon. Kecleon could have been just as special due to its early appearance.

Kubfu and Urshifu are more... similar to Poipole and Naganadel, those two being Ultra Beasts... and within their very own status category :p Even Meltan and Melmetal are similar to Kubfu and Urshifu for being mythical Pokémon, but in large quantites (especially since you need 400 Meltan candies to evolve it).

MrJechgo

Also, big shock! I would like to retract a previous comment in this topic O_O

I complained at some point that Grass types don't receive Rock-type moves to cover 4 of their 5 weaknesses (Fire, Ice, Flying and Bug)... then I searched...
  • Rock Slide (for example)
    • Gen 8
      • Shiftry
      • Abomasnow
      • Zarude
      • Dhelmise
      • Gourgeist
      • Trevenant
    • Gen 7
      • Sceptile
      • Breloom
      • Cradily
      • Torterra
      • Tangrowth
      • Simisage
      • Chesnaught
      • Gogoat
      • Tapu Bulu
I selected Rock Slide due to being the most decent Rock-type move. So yeah, I stand corrected ^_^

Bill the Typhlosion

However, with Sword & Shield I realized Pokémon games aren't necessarily too easy; we're just too knowledgeable about how to play them. We've been playing for so long, we've drained the series of its difficulty.

Definitely! Although I don't do competitive battling, I've absorbed a lot of knowledge about the in-depth mechanics over the years, and I can't help using this knowledge as I play through the story. Knowing the difference between physical and special moves, and having a rough idea of each Pokemon's stats, makes the game easier. I know that Typhlosion is better at using special moves, and that I should only ever use physical moves on a Chansey. I don't know every Pokemon's stat distribution off by heart, but I find that I can usually guess just by looking at the Pokemon's design. For example, I had a hunch that Obstagoon would be a bulky Pokemon simply because it looks like one.

The first time I played LeafGreen, I actually got "trapped" at Indigo Plateau because I'd missed the Fly HM earlier in the game. I tried to backtrack through Victory Road but there was a barrier in the way, which was - as far as I was aware - impossible to remove from the Indigo Plateau side. Restricted to Indigo Plateau and a small portion of Victory Road, I eventually got bored and started a new game - which I never finished either. If I'd have been able to leave Indigo Plateau and train my Pokemon elsewhere, maybe I would have finished my original playthrough.

A couple of years ago, I revisited LeafGreen as an adult and finally beat it. I actually grinded against the Elite Four themselves, getting slightly further each time as my Pokemon's levels increased. Exploring Sevii Islands 4-7 for the first time was great fun!

Last edited: