• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
It sort of depends on what Pokémon you have and who they are tbh. I mean Milo can be difficult with his G-Max Dragon if you don’t have a Fairy or Ice Pokémon or move on hand. It also depends on the level of your Pokémon too.

It also depends on the character. More so as time has gone on, they've tied a team's effectiveness to the character, namely how good they are at battling, what mood they're in, and how much they've grown if they're intended to develop.

For instance, Wally's postgame team in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is full of competitive single battle strategies. There's Talonflame with Gale Wings (a rare case of a computer player using Hidden Abilities prior to Generation VII), who uses Tailwind and Brave Bird. There's Magnezone who has Thunder Wave and other disabling moves. And the rest of the team, all of which are EV-trained. At this point, Wally has found the self-confidence he was looking for since you first meet him, and he learned a lot about Pokémon battling along the way. By contrast, there's Hop in Sword and Shield after Bede had mocked and insulted him but before he got his groove back in Circhester. At this point, Hop's team is all over the place, with every Pokémon swapped out but his starter, and he is a lot easier to beat than before or after. He's in an emotional slump, not having much motivation while still desperate to try to look good. In between is Nanu in the Alola games, who puts up a decent fight but becomes even stronger when he actually gains motivation after defeating him in his Kahuna battle.

The way I see it, if the character him- or herself hasn't changed much or at all since the last time you saw them, they're unlikely to be much easier or harder. Gains and drops in competence are tied to changes as a character. Or, in the case of folks like Hala and Milo, how much they choose to hold back based on how they perceive you, the player character, and your strength.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
There was one character who was hard to beat without any extra strategies or more Pokemon: Whitney. I didnt bother trading for machop and I'm sure more than a few people know.

There are some characters that are hard to beat as is in gen8 if you only one 1 member vs all of theirs when moves don't always correlate well. Trying to beat them without healing your 1st slot member can be difficult.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I brought up Dynamax Adventures before, time to do it again.

I have come reliase the actual pain of trying for a shiny legendary and other certain Pokemon there. It doesn't help the AI often make bad decisions and even teaming up with randos isn't reliable. Then there's those times where you think you've won, only for the boss to attack twice per turn and deny that victory. Let's not forget they can easily one shot you with their high stats and level advantage.

I personally can't stand the quote from the scientist either. It feels like a slap in the face, especially if you lose while the bosses health is almost zero (and it's happened to me too many times to count). Victory "being so close" isn't good enough.

And about those other certain Pokemon...

Whoever decided that Ultra Beasts were allowed to Dynamax had no idea how much of a bad idea that was. They can abuse it far too well, especially the likes of Kartana and Celesteela for example.

Also noticed this post..

This sums everything up

Things like this annoy me too. People are allowed to dislike things, but I'm tired of seeing it over and over, and it's almost always the "old games good, new games bad" people. There are many things that irk me about Pokemon games, new and old, but I'll never ignore the good stuff too.

MrJechgo

I feel like GameFreaks should review Pokémon and adjust their size and weight... Seriously, Ponyta was seen in the anime as big as a horse, only to be 3 feet tall in the game... and Wailord is apparently too light for its size XD

NeedsAName

I feel like GameFreaks should review Pokémon and adjust their size and weight... Seriously, Ponyta was seen in the anime as big as a horse, only to be 3 feet tall in the game... and Wailord is apparently too light for its size XD

And Dunsparce is almost five feet long!

Weavy

I come and go suddenly

You have no idea how much this bothers me. Almost too much. Especially in regards to height. It's VERY obvious that some Pokemon are measured by length, but they still use height; length and height are not the same thing. Let's take a look at the mentioned Wailord, I find it very hard to believe that it's 14.5 metres (47"04') tall, as it looks more like how long it is looking at the design.

I also agree that weight needs to be reworked. I'm not sure how true this is, but it looks to me like weight to me is hard capped to 999.9 KG (2204.4 lbs) for some reason (And someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm actually legit curious about Heavy Metal Copperajah because of this, does it actually go above 999.9 KG like it's supposed to or stick to that cap? It feels really unrealistic, as I feel even the heaviest Pokemon should be heavier than this.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
You have no idea how much this bothers me. Almost too much. Especially in regards to height. It's VERY obvious that some Pokemon are measured by length, but they still use height; length and height are not the same thing. Let's take a look at the mentioned Wailord, I find it very hard to believe that it's 14.5 metres (47"04') tall, as it looks more like how long it is looking at the design.

I also agree that weight needs to be reworked. I'm not sure how true this is, but it looks to me like weight to me is hard capped to 999.9 KG (2204.4 lbs) for some reason (And someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm actually legit curious about Heavy Metal Copperajah because of this, does it actually go above 999.9 KG like it's supposed to or stick to that cap? It feels really unrealistic, as I feel even the heaviest Pokemon should be heavier than this.

It actually does go above a thousand kilograms, just like how stats can go above 999 when you boost them. (Wasn't always this way though. I remember Thick Club Marowak breaking the system if you gave it Swords Dance. It caused Marowak's Attack to loop back around to a rather low amount.)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
A SwSh related one:

It's very annoying that the only way to wear a hat is changing your hairstyle for the default. I really wish I could keep the current hairstyle and only add the hat.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I never really liked wearing hats that much in the games other than the female options in XY and a couple in Gen VII.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Elixirs, Max Elixirs, Ether and Max Ethers are quite hard to get even in the post game of a lot of games. That can be annoying especially as Leppa Berries take a lot longer to get now.
This may be true, but they have also made getting PP refilled much easier. Entering a Max Raid battle fully heals your participant. In the first final tournament run you have access to your boxes and they fully heal after each battle. I don't remember a place in SwSh where I needed any PP refill. The only small issue I remember is Cinderace's Pyro Ball on the route before Wyndon, and that can be mitigated by having a good coverage move.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
A SwSh related one:

It's very annoying that the only way to wear a hat is changing your hairstyle for the default. I really wish I could keep the current hairstyle and only add the hat.

Is that for the female character? I'm using the male character, and most of his hairstyles are compatible with hats.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
No, for the male. The hairstyle I picked wasn't compatible with the hat for some reason.

Luthor

In Pokemon go where you have to catch a number of a specific type of a Pokemon and keep encountering pokemon that aren't the right type but probably should be. For example I had to catch a certain number of Psychic Pokemon and kept finding Psyducks.

MrJechgo

Am I the only one who kinda wished that Eevee get an actual signature move? All Grass starters can learn Frenzy Plant, all Fire starters can learn Blast Burn, all Water starters can learn Hydro Cannon and Pikachu can learn Volt Tackle... What can Eevee learn to match those?

I keep thinking that Eevee should learn a move called "Cuddle Smash" (100 atk, 5 pp, 100%) which 1) changes type according to Eevee's form (including its evolutions) and 2) uses the user's attack or special attack, whichever is higher. Yes, it would be a cope out to make all Eeveelutions somewhat viable, but Eevee is known to an irregular genetic code, so it wouldn't be out of place that its signature move can adapt to its form.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Am I the only one who kinda wished that Eevee get an actual signature move? All Grass starters can learn Frenzy Plant, all Fire starters can learn Blast Burn, all Water starters can learn Hydro Cannon and Pikachu can learn Volt Tackle... What can Eevee learn to match those?

I keep thinking that Eevee should learn a move called "Cuddle Smash" (100 atk, 5 pp, 100%) which 1) changes type according to Eevee's form (including its evolutions) and 2) uses the user's attack or special attack, whichever is higher. Yes, it would be a cope out to make all Eeveelutions somewhat viable, but Eevee is known to an irregular genetic code, so it wouldn't be out of place that its signature move can adapt to its form.

Well, there's the entire suite of moves that Eevee could learn in Let's Go!, with Veevee Volley being the Normal-type one.

Would've been neat to allow Eevee to have these moves in Generation VIII under the condition that Eevee cannot evolve if it knows at least one of these moves.

(Prior to that, there was the infamous Extreme Evoboost Z-Move too.)

MrJechgo

Well, there's the entire suite of moves that Eevee could learn in Let's Go!, with Veevee Volley being the Normal-type one.

Would've been neat to allow Eevee to have these moves in Generation VIII under the condition that Eevee cannot evolve if it knows at least one of these moves.

Honestly, I'd like to see all of Partner Eevee's signature moves being learned by all its respective Eeveelutions. Seriously, slap any of these on those and you have some of the more powerful Pokémon. Buzzy Buzz Jolteon would always paralyze, Sizzly Slide Flareon would always burn (thus messing up physical sweepers; it's also a Physical Fire move), Bouncy Bubble Vaporeon and Sappy Seed Leafeon would always heal, Glitzy Glow Espeon and Baddy Bad Umbreon would always destroy sweepers (both moves reduce attack or special attack), and Freezy Frost Glaceon and Sparkly Swirl Sylveon would always mess up buffs and debuffs (one heals stat change, the other heals status effects).

A restriction would be needed so you don't end up with 4 of these moves on any evolution though. You would go from powerful to downright broken XD Jolteon or Flareon with their moves and Sappy Seed would wreck things up. Also, thank goodness Freezy Frost doesn't always freeze XDD

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

It boosted all stats by 2 stages, right?

Imagine giving it Simple either by Skill Swap or Simple Beam? And knowing it can learn Baton Pass