• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

MrJechgo

Try to think it as a way to "simplify" a definition without making it the rodent/lagomorpha/carnivora team (or a weird frankstein name that mixes the names). As per your list, the first ones were rodents and there's enough of "rodentia" in the group so a generic moniker works even if it's not the most logical/factual.
Vermins :p

Funny that we don't have a gopher yet ^^;

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Try to think it as a way to "simplify" a definition without making it the rodent/lagomorpha/carnivora team (or a weird frankstein name that mixes the names). As per your list, the first ones were rodents and there's enough of "rodentia" in the group so a generic moniker works even if it's not the most logical/factual.

Kind of what happens with Pteradons and dinosaurs. The pteradons aren't dinosaurs. Yet they are grouped with the dinos for the sake of a generic group definition.
I refer to them as the "early-game Normal-type mammals." It DOES fit all of them, and I think it gets the point across.

It probably comes from earlier generations though, particularly Generation II when we had Rattata, Raticate, and Sentret (though Furret's presence indicates they never intended to go with a rodent theme, just commonly encountered mammals).

MrJechgo

*puts up Barrier, Protect and whatnot*

That GameFreaks STILL didn't addressed whether or not the Fire starters are based on the Chinese Zodiac. I'm so sorry, but... it's been EIGHT generations of games, and this has more connections than any other Pokémon out there. Just spill the bean already. I mean, Shigeru Miyamoto revealed that the Star Fox crew didn't "replace their legs with prosthetics" so the blood flow with stay in their upper bodies during flight. Pretty sure any Pokémon director could just say it outright.

Ok, fine, there ARE points against that theory:
  1. Charizard is the dragon, even if it's not a Dragon type... because in reality, the Dragon type was so OP in Gen 1 that it would have broken the games on its own as much as the Psychic and Ghost types.
  2. Typhlosion... is not really a rat, let alone a rodent. Honey badgers are clsoer to weasels, which as mustelids, and again, not rodents. Cyndaquil may be classified as the Fire Mouse Pokémon, but... the little guy is a hybrid of an echina, a shrew, an anteater and a tenrec, all of which are not rodents or related to rats. If there's a first red flag, it's Typhlosion.
  3. Blaziken is the rooster.
  4. Infernape is the monkey.
  5. Emboar is the pig.
  6. Delphox... is not the dog. A fox is a canine, but is not a dog breed. Fenniken is based on a fennec, which is a fox specie, and Braixen is also a fox. Unless GameFreaks took cues from Capcom's Okami and Ninetails as an evil Brush Kami (all based on the Chinese Zodiac), Delphox is the other red flag about the theory.
  7. Incineroar is the tiger... and probably also the cat (13th forgotten sign).
  8. Cinderace is the rabbit.
So... 6 out of the 8 starters might not be based on the Zodiac... Cool... and there's nothing wrong with it at all... BUT that would be nice to hear it straight from the creators themselves, unless they're afraid to reveal potential future ideas. If it's the case, then it would be easy to speculate on the Horse (Fire/Fairy), the Sheep (Fire/Rock), the Snake (Fire/Poison) and the Ox (Fire/Steel), as well as the Rat (Fire/Ground) and Dog (Fire/Ghost).

EDIT: the typings are personal wishful requests BTW ;)
  • Horse (Fire/Fairy): Why not? A horse Pokémon based on Apollo's sun steed would be awesome, and it would push GameFeaks to make Fairy more offensive in combat, and that typing has yet to be added.
  • Sheep (Fire/Rock): Goats and sheeps can live in mountains, including volcanoes, so...
  • Snake (Fire/Poison): Snakes are venomous, including those living in deserts like cobras, and... pretty sure players would love a way more accessible Fire/Poison than Salazzle XD
  • Ox (Fire/Steel): It could be based on the Minotaur and the Brazen Bull, and getting Iron Head-ed by one of these... would hurt a lot :p
  • Rat (Fire/Ground): Rats and rodents dig tunnels and whatnot, and it could be refreshing to keep that full-evolved starter small.
  • Dog (Fire/Ghost): The Cerberus would be dope :D , with the 1st stage having only one head, the 2nd stage havign 2 heads like Orthus and the final stage having 3 heads. Why Ghost? Because the Cerberus is the guardian of the Underworld, a.k.a. the realm of the dead.

Last edited:

Ribbon-Dove

simps for hitmons
The lack of attention some Pokemon get in favor of the more popular Pokemon.

Back then, they used to give almost every Pokemon equal treatment (apart from Pikachu, of course), but now that there's almost a thousand Pokemon, they always focus on the same 10 or so Pokemon with a few outliers and oddballs to balance it out.

NeedsAName

Why we don't have more physical Fairy-type moves and special Rock-type moves! How about:

• Purification: Fairy/Physical, 35D/95A/25PP, double power but heals ailment if target has a status condition (burn, poison, paralysis, freeze, sleep)
    • Cleffa line, Ralts line, þe tapus, Grimmsnarl, Hatterene, etc.
  • Magic Rush: Fairy/Physical, 50D/100A/20PP, +1 priority
    • G-Rapidash, Ralts line, Medicham, Xerneas, Mimikyu, etc.
  • Pebble Spray: Rock/Special, 60D/95A/15PP, 25% chance to lower target's accuracy
    • Larvitar line, Lunatone, Archen line, Diancie, Rolycoly line, etc.
  • Spike Fall: Rock/Special, 90D/100A/15PP, variant of Surf so hits opponents and ally
    • Tyranitar, Carbink, Diancie, Nihilego, Minior, etc.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Have been looking for Rockruffs with Own Tempo or Dusk Form. But always when i get close i either get a the pokemon can't be traded (example for any level ditto) trade or someone sends me a regular lycanroc against a deposited one when i nicknamed that Skarmory DUSKFORMONLY. You can't even check ability of the Rockruff before it arrives. Been looking 3 days straight.

And the Own Tempo ability is locked so you can't use ability capsules in ultra sun to change Rockruff that way. So tired of this hunt. For comparison i even got a level 70 japanese mewtwo for a deposited Blacephalon.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Have been looking for Rockruffs with Own Tempo or Dusk Form. But always when i get close i either get a the pokemon can't be traded (example for any level ditto) trade or someone sends me a regular lycanroc against a deposited one when i nicknamed that Skarmory DUSKFORMONLY. You can't even check ability of the Rockruff before it arrives. Been looking 3 days straight.

And the Own Tempo ability is locked so you can't use ability capsules in ultra sun to change Rockruff that way. So tired of this hunt. For comparison i even got a level 70 japanese mewtwo for a deposited Blacephalon.
Own Tempo Rockruff and Dusk Lycanroc (along with the other new forms/Pokémon) can’t be traded with Sun and Moon so maybe that’s why you’re getting those messages.

Pokefan_1987

Own Tempo Rockruff and Dusk Lycanroc (along with the other new forms/Pokémon) can’t be traded with Sun and Moon so maybe that’s why you’re getting those messages.
I only used Ultra Sun so why some of the Dusk Forms illegitimate.

Anyway the is over thanks to Queron on Gamefaqs.gamespot.com He gave me a lvl 1 Own Temp Rock Ruff in change for a female psyduck

HP 12 SP, Atk is 4 all of the rest is 6 in IV's.

Luthor

When you want to improve a Pokemon's sync grid in pokemon masters and then you remember it doesn't have an enhanced sync grid. Can be mildly annoying.

Orphalesion

I refer to them as the "early-game Normal-type mammals." It DOES fit all of them, and I think it gets the point across.

It's too much of a mouth full to be a short, memorable fan term, though.
"Regional Rodent" might not be a correct description, but it's short, memorable, fits the popular (if incorrect) idea of which animal species fall under the term "rodent" and has Alliterative Appeal.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
When you want to improve a Pokemon's sync grid in pokemon masters and then you remember it doesn't have an enhanced sync grid. Can be mildly annoying.
I love Masters but man some of the design choices make me so mad lol. There are characters who are completely outclassed by others: the least you could is give them a grid earlier as compensation.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The only older pairing in need of a grid right now is MC&Torchic. Bonus points if they gave it evolution and EX as well. Such a good support.

NeedsAName

It's too much of a mouth full to be a short, memorable fan term, though.
"Regional Rodent" might not be a correct description, but it's short, memorable, fits the popular (if incorrect) idea of which animal species fall under the term "rodent" and has Alliterative Appeal.
I use Regional Mammal or Early Mammal and þis is what I almost always hear people use, I've heard Regional Rodent used but nowhere near frequently.

MrJechgo

Anyone here a little... bummed out that the Mystery Dungeon universe (talking Pokémon, no humans, etc) hasn't been used for smaller-budget spin-offs? We could have gotten a 2D platformer, a multiplayer party game and other casual genres.

Hey, a run-and-gun Shinobi-inspired game featuring the Greninja line would have been dope :D

Tepig Pignite Emboar 969

Anyone here a little... bummed out that the Mystery Dungeon universe (talking Pokémon, no humans, etc) hasn't been used for smaller-budget spin-offs? We could have gotten a 2D platformer, a multiplayer party game and other casual genres.

Hey, a run-and-gun Shinobi-inspired game featuring the Greninja line would have been dope :D
I have a great idea! You know how Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is about exploring and stuff? How about making a 3D exploring game, mixing the gameplay style of the older Tomb Raider games or The 3D Legend of Zelda games with the story and exploring of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. It can also be mixed with the style of the PokePark games where you can switch between each starter pokemon to pass through an area only one of them can do. What do you think?

Pokefan_1987

Had a recent one nearly happening. I was SOS chaining Poliwag's to get the Politoed. But it was taking forever so i researched a bit on where the overworld rain was and learned Politoed are likely to use Perish Song on their first turn. It's in my opinion one of the most dreaded moves that can happen aside from moves like Self Destruct during a hunt.
Why does developers add these moves during a hunt knowing it's difficult to prevent a perish song user from ko-ing itself in some sort of twisted spite (i had no timer balls since i heard it can take hours to chain a politoed to appear before i knew the move list)

In the end i got lucky that i remembered that i had a kings rock item and traded a poliwhirl for politoed the safe way :)

One a sidenote i got much luckier with Tapu Koko. I thought i had a lengthy fight and he was too fast for my Spore Shiinotic i had trained.
So i sent Tapu Bulu who survived long enough to use 3 false swipes and on the third ultra ball i caught him. Talk about easy.

Last edited: