• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
At this point, I've given up on the shiny Pokemon raids they do every now and then. The Eiscue one was the last straw for me. I wasted every resource I had access to and still didn't get it. I spent the entire weekend trying and it all ended up wasted on nothing. I got so frustrated that I've decided not to bother with these again.

Even though the chances are 2%, it feels like it's lower and let me explain why. You are not guaranteed to find the Pokemon you're after, which means you still have to get lucky with the spawn and THEN it's 2% when the spawn does show up. Unless you have friends to help you or somehow get lucky joining a random raid, then this is frustratingly more difficult.

And while you can keep the raid if you choose not to go online, this means you cannot get help and must do it yourself, because going online doing anything will always put in the current event instead of the one you're trying to save. You will have to solo raids to try for it and that's most of the time frustrating in itself.

I personally don't think these events are worth it to me anymore. I am not going to stress myself over looking for something I likely won't get.
I'll do the events if I like the Pokemon (like Clefairy, Politoed, and Grapploct), but otherwise, they events are a little too frequent to me.

I just join random raids because it seems more likely that the raids will be shiny because that's what people want help on.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
At this point, I've given up on the shiny Pokemon raids they do every now and then. The Eiscue one was the last straw for me. I wasted every resource I had access to and still didn't get it. I spent the entire weekend trying and it all ended up wasted on nothing. I got so frustrated that I've decided not to bother with these again.

Even though the chances are 2%, it feels like it's lower and let me explain why. You are not guaranteed to find the Pokemon you're after, which means you still have to get lucky with the spawn and THEN it's 2% when the spawn does show up. Unless you have friends to help you or somehow get lucky joining a random raid, then this is frustratingly more difficult.

And while you can keep the raid if you choose not to go online, this means you cannot get help and must do it yourself, because going online doing anything will always put in the current event instead of the one you're trying to save. You will have to solo raids to try for it and that's most of the time frustrating in itself.

I personally don't think these events are worth it to me anymore. I am not going to stress myself over looking for something I likely won't get.

That's why i dont bother with events as well. If you have any mons it in sword/shield you can just breed it until it appears. I got my shiny green Cubone by accident when i was reverse breeding a Marowak to get the pokedex entry (It's one of those sickly green shinies.)

Still when i once tried on purpose tried to breed Litten with shiny charm in SW&SH, my thumbs went numb after 100 eggs and despite how fast breeding is i SW/SH. Eventually got him in a legit giveaway on facebook instead. I own a shiny Incineroar now.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
That Serena is not loved by the writers and shes the only one who didnt make a cameo or had a special. Dawn appeared twiceeeeee already and had a special. Serena? Nothing

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
That Serena is not loved by the writers and shes the only one who didnt make a cameo or had a special. Dawn appeared twiceeeeee already and had a special. Serena? Nothing
Sycamore's post-XYZ special was the main offender to me. I mean what's the point? Xerneas & Yveltal were already featured in the movie 3 years before this aired. And the "never finished a battle" thing that happened to her was annoying.

Pokefan_1987

Do you mean that nowadays, many people tend to hate Generation VIII and really like Generation V?
If you ask me i'd rank the games like this

1st Gen 7... I just love the gameplay in this era and setting. Rotom Dex is really annoying though.
2nd Gen 6 It's a good game but it suffers from the fact that if you wish to complete it you need to transfer/trade a lot of pokemon.
3rd Gen 3 Hoenn it has many favorites in my opinion, but the only definite version for me is Omega Ruby.
4th Gen 8 There are so many legendaries in this game and the fact that this is the first game i've ever completed the pokedex including both dlc's make it something i'm proud of.
5th Gen 1
I didn't play it much but the first versions very a glitchy mess lots of good pokemon though.
6th Gen 2 Johto not a lot of memories for this series but Totodile and Cyndaquil lines are awesome.
7th Gen 5 Decent generation but not exactly nostalgic.
8th Gen 4...Don't get me wrong, sinnoh is a good region but the limited pokedex and the sluggish movement speed just never worked for me.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

1st Gen 7... I just love the gameplay in this era and setting. Rotom Dex is really annoying though.
2nd Gen 6 It's a good game but it suffers from the fact that if you wish to complete it you need to transfer/trade a lot of pokemon.
3rd Gen 3 Hoenn it has many favorites in my opinion, but the only definite version for me is Omega Ruby.
4th Gen 8 There are so many legendaries in this game and the fact that this is the first game i've ever completed the pokedex including both dlc's make it something i'm proud of.
5th Gen 1
Like Johto i didn't play it much but the first versions very a glitchy mess lots of good pokemon though.
6th Gen 2 Johto not a lot of memories for this series but Totodile and Cyndaquil lines are awesome.
7th Gen 1 Like Johto i didn't play it much but the first versions very a glitchy mess lots of good pokemon.
8th Gen 4...Don't get me wrong, sinnoh is a good region but the limited pokedex and the sluggish movement speed just never worked for me.
Where’s Gen V? You have Gen I listed twice.

Vini310

Do you mean that nowadays, many people tend to hate Generation VIII and really like Generation V?
Exactly.
Back in 2010-2012, Gens 1-4 were the most loved (to the point where "Emerald/HGSS is the last good Pokémon game" was a very common opinion) and Gen 5 was seen as the worst thing to ever happen to Pokémon.
Now, Gen 5 is considered perfect and everything after it is seen as the worst.

Pokefan_1987

Made a annoying mistake. I was flying in Omega Ruby and noticed i had the requirements to find Cobalion on one of the islands.

However on the first run, i thought i could use paralysis which and forgot to bring in a strong False Swipe Pokemon. Second restart on same save on the island tried Toxic and completely forgot Steel is immune to Toxic despite is partially a Fighting type.

Third attempt came back with my Gardevoir.
Turn 1: used X Accuracy
Turn 2: Cobalion used Sacred Sword
Turn 3: Gardevoir used Hypnosis and Cobalion instantly fell asleep.
Turn 4: Shadow Ball and he went almost to red health.
Turn 5-7: He broke 3 ultra balls (3 while still sleeping) was captured in the 4th ultra ball.

Last edited:

Luthor

Yeah and these are often 2 day events. So its quite easy to miss the entire event. Plus if you don't go online you get the in-game trainers as allies some of whom are more of a hindrance (either because they choose bad moves or they have moves that can benefit certain foes or are weak to the target)

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
That ppl thinking that a group of people callingthem self "chasers" that are trying to capture leganderies Pokemon, such as Mew, are different from villains.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Incidental, put I had a field research in Pokemon Go where I needed to catch 5 Solrock and I had 4 caught. Not thinking that I would encounter another one anytime soon, I deleted the research, and then I found another Solrock.

Geez.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The Porygon line being pure Normal type. It's a cyberspace entity, programming code. It's almost literally electric. So why isn't it Electric type? It could just be Normal/Electric

Pokefan_1987

As much as i like exploration. The Ultra Sun quest for Agility and Bulk Up was tedious. First you hear a fighting veteran talking about how his Incineroar is having trouble defeating a Machamp. So he says he could sure use the Agility (he doesn't mention that it is on a whole different island)

However Bulk Up is more tedious. The 2nd fighting veteran shows up and rants that a Incineroar is recently ruining Machamp's career and needs a Copa Berry "To hang in there" during matches when Incineroar uses agility.

The problem is that even if you found the berry pile where Coba Berry has a chance to spawn it can still be random. Took me a few resets to get the Berry.
The irony is that both guys are none the wiser that a kid was fueling their solutions/problem and sending them back to square one.

Last edited:

Vini310

I don't see the similarities? Gen 8 received criticism mostly due to Dexit but not as much for the new Pokemon designs which was the main complaint that most fans had about Gen 5.
Both generations were seen as signs that Pokémon is dying, that Game Freak is running out of ideas, that the games that came priror to it (Gens 1-4 back then, Gens 2-5 now) were the absolute peak of Pokémon and everything else simply couldn't be compared.
In short, both suffered from a "Old Guard VS. New Blood" situation.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

5th Gen 1
I didn't play it much but the first versions very a glitchy mess lots of good pokemon though.
7th Gen 5 Decent generation but not exactly nostalgic.

Yeah, let me just...

#8: Gen 7 - While the pokemon are absolutely lovely, the games themselves were terribly made, imo, and it only got worse with USUM. The best thing about Gen 7, minus the pokemon, is Lusamine, who I say is easily one of the best villains in the series.

#7: Gen 1 - It was the first, but far from the best. The mechanics were wildly broken and most of the pokemon were - let's be honest - basic as s***. The main reason most people love them so much is because they were the first pokemon they ever had. Personally, I didn't start loving Venusaur until Gen 4.

#6: Gen 6 - This gen had loads of potential, but it was wasted on poor execution. I don't know where they went wrong, but they did. Had X&Y been better executed, it probably would've sold as much as Sword & Shield.

#5: Gen 5 - I hate most of the pokemon in this gen, but the games themselves are INCREDIBLE. The story is top tier, the characters are memorable, and the battles were actually kinda challenging. My greatest gripe about Gen 5 is that both champions are hella lame.

#4: Gen 3 - I'm not gonna lie, I don't think it was too much water. I actually enjoyed surfing from town to town, as it made the region feel extra expansive. Many of my favorite pokemon come from Gen 3, and above all else, my love for Ghost types blossomed here.

#3: Gen 8 - This. Gen. Is. GOLD. The pokemon are amazing, the gameplay is lit, the open world feature is awesome, and the DLC was well worth the price. The story could've been much better, but each character had a unique backstory of their own, which I very much enjoyed. Also, Peony is bae.

#2: Gen 4 - I honestly say Pokémon peaked with Diamond & Pearl. It honestly ain't getting any better than this. Great pokemon, fun gyms, decent story for the time, and of course, Cynthia. Before Sword & Shield, there wasn't a Pokémon game I played more than Diamond & Pearl. I put hundreds of hours and countless replays into those games, and I never got tired of it.

#1: Gen 2 - The true start of the franchise. The gen that cemented Pokémon forever. The games that proved Pokémon was more than just a trend. Also Suicune. Much of what we've come to know as staples of Pokémon started with Gen 2: Special Defense, choosing your gender/appearance, post-game battle facilities, breeding, gender variants, and so on. And of course, the greatest thing about Gen 2 was that it contained two whole regions: Johto and Kanto. Not only did we get to return to the region we started in, but we got to see it 3 years later. Things had changed, so we got to explore Kanto all over again. It is hands down the greatest experience I've ever had in Pokémon, and I don't think we'll ever get that experiene again.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With all that being said, let me now say what grinds my gears: I am so sick and tired of fans holding onto Gen 1 for dear life. It's no different than the public's reception of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine: he's not the best; he's just the first! And at the end of the day, he wasn't anywhere near what Wolverine was originally intended to be. You can put "Red & Blue" in the place of "Wolverine," and the statement will be just as true.

EDIT: No, @Pokefan_1987 , I'm not saying you were.

Last edited:

MrJechgo

Am I the only one who kinda wish that Jessie and James should have gotten actual Pokémon line-ups? They both feel like adequate Poison and Dark-type trainers, with occasional wild cards. They used to be challenging back in the days, now I swear they aren't posing much of a threat anymore...

Give [back] to Jessie Wobbuffet, Seviper, Yanmega, Gourgeist and Mimikyu.
Give [back] to James Morpeko, Mime Jr. (probably up to Mr. Ryme), Carnivine, Inkay (probably up to Malamar) and Mareanie (probably up to Toxapex).

Oh, and Meowth could use more moves, new moves... except Pay Day, because reasons XD

Come on now... I dunno, I feel like the idea of 2 villainous trainers really faded away as time went on... and I'm kinda surprised that Jessie and James didn't quit Team Rocket and joined whatever new organisation was introduced in the games.