• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things that grind your gears!

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Well i'm on a new playthrough in Ultra Sun

My team is Torracat,Frogadier,Dartrix,Munchlax,Pichu and a Rockruff (but it doesn't the Own Tempo ability i need)

Good news: Rotom isn't spamming me with messages yet.

Bad News: Still don't have a Dusk Form Lycanroc.

UPDATE: Just got through a major grind, Totem Araquanid is just as much of a Early Game Hell battle as i remember. Aurora Beam and Ally Dewpider's Bug Bite against Dartrix is quite unfair (I chose Litten so Dartrix has evolved slowly) and I forgot where to find Hawlucha before taking the trial.
Managed to use my Charjabug and Frogadier's Water Pulse confusion so i could revive Dartrix for round 2.

Last edited:

NeedsAName

People who believed that the Fire-Type Starters were based off the Chinese Zodiac.

This theory has been proven false since Gen 2. Cyndaquil is NOT a mouse/rat. It is more of an echidna or badger, but it is NOT a mouse/rat no matter what the pokedex entry says.

I also hated how people were clinging on to that stupid theory with saying Fennekin was based on a dog. No, it is obviously a fox. Yes, Foxes and dogs are canines, but that does not make them the same thing. Fennekin is a fox. End of discussion.

If Fuecoco stays a crocodile, I'll be glad it'll put this theory to bed at long last. Please, stay a crocodile and end the theory that was never true in the first place.

Note: I don't see the Litten Family as tigers, but I can see how people believed that one.
Fuecoco won’t turn into a snake as it is the only reptile in the Chinese Zodiac other than the dragon but Charizard has that covered. Incineroar is the only tiger in its line. The other two are just regular house cats with tiger stripe markings.
I don’t believe in the Zodiac theory but there are official sources that see Cyndaquil as a rat/Litten line as tigers
I still believe in the Zodiac theory as Cyndaquil and Fennekin are close enough and Incineroar is very much a tiger, but Fuecoco does seem to break it. Having a dragon, chicken, monkey, pig, tiger, and rabbit does seem to much of a coincidence for the theory to be even close to discounted, and it still might be used as a rough framework by Game Freak when first designing, but we'll need to wait and see what Fuecoco evolves into. It could pull a Snivy and end up a (nearly) limbless serpent, but my money's on a crocodile or theropod.

Pokefan_1987

Going after the Totem Stickers but Sophocles's Togedemaru keeps blocking the path.... the sticker is behind the meteor but that rat is in the way.

Trillion

not really a gear-grinder but wasn't sure where to put it...

i was updating my seismitoad's moveset in swsh. i went to the move relearner and mud bomb was there as a move that could be relearned. mud bomb isn't even usable in the game lol. i'm surprised it was even an option

Pokefan_1987

I finally got my revenge on Totem Kommo-O but employing a Mimikyu and Toxic stragedy. Then i used Klefki and Dazzling Gleam who lasted 2 turns. However on the final turn my Primarina was supposed to hit Kommo-O with Z-Move Psychic but i clicked on Noivern who was weakened. But Kommo-O still died afterwards.

However Using Toxic Mimikyu on Ultra Necrozma and then sent in lvl 40 Zoroark disguised as a Machoke and it was hilarious using Foul Play and Toxic to defeat Necrozma in approximately 3 turns.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The fact they replaced the Global Trade Station with the Global Wonder Station. I really don't care much for wonder trades. Trading just seems to be getting more and more difficult. Given that Pokemon Home app is still not available for BDSP (and even then it doesn't allow for trade evolution). Trading via union rooms isn't exactly great either (half the people I encountered just showed me a shiny legendary then disconnected). Before the switch trading still needed improvement but it was at least fairly functional for at least basic trades. Now if you don't set it up in advance (such as on this forum) its harder than it was in gen 4.
I don't like it being a wonder trade place because you have many bots that can potentially ruin it with hacks anyway.

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
The ongoing decline of the means of how to access trading/multiplayer features in-game. Say what you will about X and Y as games overall but the PSS was the slickest mutliplayer interface we’ve ever had.l and it’s been downhill ever since.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
The fact they replaced the Global Trade Station with the Global Wonder Station. I really don't care much for wonder trades. Trading just seems to be getting more and more difficult. Given that Pokemon Home app is still not available for BDSP (and even then it doesn't allow for trade evolution). Trading via union rooms isn't exactly great either (half the people I encountered just showed me a shiny legendary then disconnected). Before the switch trading still needed improvement but it was at least fairly functional for at least basic trades. Now if you don't set it up in advance (such as on this forum) its harder than it was in gen 4.
I don't mind the Wonder trading but I'm no fan of Union Room trading either. It has the same problem that previous versions had, people showing off shinies and disconnecting, like what you mentioned.

Pokefan_1987

I don't mind the Wonder trading but I'm no fan of Union Room trading either. It has the same problem that previous versions had, people showing off shinies and disconnecting, like what you mentioned.
Yes and the fact that both the union room and Y-Comm need link trade codes to connect. I've seen it many times in BDSP where i create a code and sometimes it was a completely other person than the one i was trying to find. So embarrassing ugh.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Yes and the fact that both the union room and Y-Comm need link trade codes to connect. I've seen it many times in BDSP where i create a code and sometimes it was a completely other person than the one i was trying to find. So embarrassing ugh.

Yikes. I hate that in Sword and Shield too. Trying to come up with a code that others didn't have was a bit of a hassle.

Pokefan_1987

Just got through ultra sun. almost forgot how to do the reverse world properly so i could get the spare Cosmog (Infant stage) I thought i had to go to the Altar of Sunne night with Solgaleo but the reverse option didn't appear. So i set my 3DS to day and boxed Necrozma. It still didn't come.

So the truth is= If you are playing sun and only have solgaleo, then you have to approach it at night and remember to visit the lake as well afterwards once you travelled.

Alola Elite 4 Team: Ninetails, Necrozma (Regular) Incineroar, Primarina, Greninja, Naganadel and Lycanroc Dusk. Necrozma kept scratching it's head when it appeared in the winners rolecalls Also after reaching red on the battle gauntlet area i got almost demolished, Primarina survived but it cost me most of my revives and max potion reserves.
My team vs Red
Incineroar lvl 66
Primarina lvl 74
Greninja lvl 71
Solgaleo lvl 66
Lycanroc Dusk lvl 41 (travelling and training it)
Cosmog lvl 37 (travelling and training it)

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
The ongoing decline of the means of how to access trading/multiplayer features in-game. Say what you will about X and Y as games overall but the PSS was the slickest mutliplayer interface we’ve ever had.l and it’s been downhill ever since.
I personally didn’t have an issue with Festival Plaza myself, but I can definitely agree that the jump to the Switch really caused the decline of online interfaces. Hate how you had to enter codes to connect with a trade partner and hope that someone else didn’t use the same code at the same time.

And also feeling for the non-Sw/Sh Gen 8 games that are still waiting for HOME to become available…

Pokefan_1987

I tried to get the TM for Dream Eater hidden in Haina Desert in Ultra Sun. Only ended up walking in circles and wasted 20 repels. Didn't succeed.

Sure Dream Eater does have limited uses and Darkrai has the same effect with Bad Dreams (no pp for that) but having a number gap in TM inventory is so annoying.

Luthor

I didn't mind the wonder trading when it was an option but because it replaced the main trading option in BDSP it became annoying for me. Yeah I really don't like union trading.

I can't argue with that X and Y was one of the better trading systems.

I personally didn’t have an issue with Festival Plaza myself, but I can definitely agree that the jump to the Switch really caused the decline of online interfaces. Hate how you had to enter codes to connect with a trade partner and hope that someone else didn’t use the same code at the same time.

And also feeling for the non-Sw/Sh Gen 8 games that are still waiting for HOME to become available…

The festival plaza for me I wasn't a fan of how the facilities worked (as you'd unlock a facility but then it wasn't always clear if the new one was better) but the actual trading was fine. If they offered to return back to it compared to Sword and Shield's I absolutely would take it. Yeah I though home would be out for at least BDSP by now.

Entradius1

Just some dude
I also dislike how trading was handled in BDSP. I am not sure how trading was handled in the past but the system from X and Y seems a lot better.
I also feel like pokemon home is taking too long to update. BDSP came out last year and I still cannot use pokemon home for those games.

I would be happy if they redid pokemon home. I would like more storage on my actual device. Maybe up to 2,000 additional pokemon in addition to whatever the storage on the cloud is so I would not need an internet connection to move pokemon between games. Also if they are going to take so long with updating the compatibility of it maybe they should allow us to have different storage boxes for different games to allow for trades etc until we are allowed to move pokemon between different games. Such as letting diamond trade to pearl until an update that would allow for trades with sword or shield or PLA etc.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
The problem with trading in the Pokémon games is it's not modded very well. Never has been. In a game like Runescape, if a player is caught trade disconnecting, a GM will force them to trade away their whole inventory to them (I've seen this happen on youtube).

Pokefan_1987

The problem with trading in the Pokémon games is it's not modded very well. Never has been. In a game like Runescape, if a player is caught trade disconnecting, a GM will force them to trade away their whole inventory to them (I've seen this happen on youtube).
That's harsh.

Trillion

not really a gear-grinder but wasn't sure where to put it...

i was updating my seismitoad's moveset in swsh. i went to the move relearner and mud bomb was there as a move that could be relearned. mud bomb isn't even usable in the game lol. i'm surprised it was even an option
i ended up figuring out why this happened

years ago i caught it as a tympole using dexnav in oras. so it had it's egg move - being mud bomb

seems like swsh still recognizes that; and since egg moves are relearnable after being deleted off the current moveset, it still showed up as an option

that's actually pretty cool

SBaby

Dungeon Master
That's harsh.
Yeah, but it makes people think twice before doing it. You have to take harsh measures to stop a problem that is prolific in an online community.

Pokefan_1987

Started a new run in Pokemon X...good grief Ralts took forever to show up. Good thing it doesn't learn Teleport before lvl 12 in Gen 6

New Team
Froakie
Azumarill (Wonder Trade)
Linoone (Wonder Trade)
Ralts
Pikachu
Fletchling